Fear Nothing But God: A Graphical History

An unfortunate event, but also a likely one - the violent nature of the founding of the Republic established a twisted precedent which could easily over inflate the egos of politically minded military leaders.

Whats the Internet is connected world wide like OTl or is there a bunch of Local to regional Internets like In Separated at Birth? The latter would make sense in this world has regionalism seems to be stronger and this world is very multipolar .

The Oxford Gazette - March 24th, 2021
banner-transparent-png.594372

p0VNIHA.png

Link to the PDF

A new format I wanted to try! Other people have had a lot of luck with news websites but I thought a newspaper would be a great way to tell some contemporary stories! I'll definitely be using this format in the future and I'm thinking of doing another, similar design. Hope people enjoy!​

p0VNIHA.png

Link to the PDF

A new format I wanted to try! Other people have had a lot of luck with news websites but I thought a newspaper would be a great way to tell some contemporary stories! I'll definitely be using this format in the future and I'm thinking of doing another, similar design. Hope people enjoy!​
I love the irony of British newspapers getting excited over royal weddings in France.

Oh damn, factories?

Yeah that must inflame the nationalist elements in China.
Hell the factory system is the whole basis of colonialism TTL, so on the one hand there's European exclaves all over the place in the present day but on the other there's quite a few native states in Africa and Asia that are Great Powers because OTL colonialism was dodged.

p0VNIHA.png

Link to the PDF

So bleeding interesting, everything that comes out of this TL is just incomprehensibly great. Really can't say much beyond compliments!

How ''European'' is america? i assume there are a lot more natives?
Yes! The East Coast is very British and South America is still mostly Spanish/Portuguese speaking but inland North America is still majority native (simply known as "Americans" 99% of the time) and several leading nations are led entirely by Natives; the Haudanosunee being the biggest example. There are also more natives in the Atlantic colonies than OTL and that is, I admit, a little handwave-y but its something I'd like to explore in time. Politics end up being more like OTL New Zealand, Australia or even South Africa than like the USA of OTL.

An unfortunate event, but also a likely one - the violent nature of the founding of the Republic established a twisted precedent which could easily over inflate the egos of politically minded military leaders.

Particularly enhanced by the lionisation of the New Model Army and of Cromwell ittl, who is seen as a hero for much of the FC's history. In their eyes, Cromwell and the (First) NMA were the only reason the Stuarts were ever deposed in Revolution 1.0. Remember, the real life Commonwealth of England was a military dictatorship and that's where the FC draws the start of its political history. The Black 20s see a lot of Britain playing out that fantasy again, only to see the dire consequences. Sufficed to say, their modern perspective is rather different.

Whats the Internet is connected world wide like OTl or is there a bunch of Local to regional Internets like In Separated at Birth? The latter would make sense in this world has regionalism seems to be stronger and this world is very multipolar .

An interesting thing I'd like to explore in the future! My current thoughts are a bit of both. ITTL's various little internets are known as "Transbinary Libraries" or just "TransLibs" or "TLs". Mostly regions and particularly linguistic groups share TLs; IE the FC and Sister Commonwealths share one (likely alongside the Dutch and their pals), the French have one, the Germanies share one, Gurkhanistan and Persia being close allies and sharing some linguistic traits likely share one, so on. Over time, however, they are being "bridged" and linked, with specific portals to get from one to the other that basically acts like a VPN, giving limited access between them. Futurist parties like Forward March want to see a total integration in time.

What's the difference between a "university" and a "universarium"?
Ah another thing I've meant to expand upon many times! A Universarium is basically a confederation of universities under the leadership of one, historic institution. All Universties in the FC and Sister Commonwealths are in a heirarchy under 8 "Universariums" (Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dublin, Pennsylvania) which are divided into 12-40 Universities each which are further subdivided into anywhere from 3 to 30 "Colleges". All of this is on the old English/Oxbridge model.

I do want to do a little flow chart thing to lay that all out and list the current institutions as they stand. Many are "tail wagging the dog" with the founding city/university relegated to a secondary position by its more junior universties dominating the universarium's federal structure.

The actual word "Universarium" is a real bastard of linguistics that makes so sense but the English language is like that sometimes.

I love the irony of British newspapers getting excited over royal weddings in France.
Aha its maybe predictable but its cute and a fun reversal. I'm going to go more in depth into the Anglo/French swap when it comes to constitutions in the future, as well as the French monarchy and upcoming royal wedding because its a fun way to expand the world that isn't pure war or politics.

GUN!

Yet another plan I have (lol so many promises and so few that actually happen) is a historic rundown of the FC's muskets. I am, oddly for a Brit of my standing, a bit of a gun nerd. The term "musket" never gets dropped ITTL and rifles are just "rifled muskets" and in time "rifled" just becomes the default and so again it returns to simply "muskets". Repeaters and later automatics are "Chained Muskets" for reasons which will become obvious.

Oh damn, factories?

Yeah that must inflame the nationalist elements in China.
Hell the factory system is the whole basis of colonialism TTL, so on the one hand there's European exclaves all over the place in the present day but on the other there's quite a few native states in Africa and Asia that are Great Powers because OTL colonialism was dodged.
They are indeed not pleased (as you can see from the headline!) but yeah Born in the USSA is spot on; this is the whole model of Colonialism ittl. However the mood is starting to shift and over time they're becoming more like Free Ports with greater local independence and "colonised" nations' involvement. Rather than a total reversal and return seen IOTL, the Concession cities are evolving into something more attuned to a globalised world and less firmly ruled by their supposed imperial masters.

So bleeding interesting, everything that comes out of this TL is just incomprehensibly great. Really can't say much beyond compliments!
Thank you so much :D I realise it's almost all undecypherable and the release schedule does not exist but it means a huge amount that whenever I do come out with something people do seem to enjoy it. Requests and questions always always welcome, I really hope everyone sticks around to see what is next.

As ever I do hope to get a more regular schedule. My real life looks set to get a bit less busy and I'm gonna take a brief break from the site. When I get back, I might start finally putting some plans into action! Or I'll vanish for 6 months again! It's a mystery!

Also if anyone has any suggestions/requests/favourite topics you'd like to see appear in a future Newspaper, I have the template now and would like to get a few out! Please hit me with the kind of thing you'd like to see! New films/games/tv shows ittl? Technology updates? Music? Gossip? Just politics? Scandals? Military stuff? Architecure? Literally anything is good with me!

GUN!

Yet another plan I have (lol so many promises and so few that actually happen) is a historic rundown of the FC's muskets. I am, oddly for a Brit of my standing, a bit of a gun nerd. The term "musket" never gets dropped ITTL and rifles are just "rifled muskets" and in time "rifled" just becomes the default and so again it returns to simply "muskets". Repeaters and later automatics are "Chained Muskets" for reasons which will become obvious.
Any reason why "gun" doesn't get used? I think the word "gun" predates the word "musket"

Any reason why "gun" doesn't get used? I think the word "gun" predates the word "musket"
So just as OTL modern militaries don't call Rifles or Small Arms "Guns" usually. Musket is just the word for what we'd call a rifle or a long gun; pistols, shotguns et al are all distinct. The term gun still exists in casual use for any sort of firearm. :)

Also ITTL and OTL, Gun can (and more often does) mean Cannon/Artillery, here that use is probably the first thing people would think of when you say "Gun".

Last edited:
So just as OTL modern militaries don't call Rifles or Small Arms "Guns" usually. Musket is just the word for what we'd call a rifle or a long gun; pistols, shotguns et al are all distinct. The term gun still exists in casual use for any sort of firearm. :)

Also ITTL and OTL, Gun can (and more often does) mean Cannon/Artillery, here that use is probably the first thing people would think of when you say "Gun".
As a navally-minded person (hence the name), I can vouch for this usage of 'gun' in an AH context, as that word tends to be used for ordnance-level weapons instead of small arms (at least in the USN, and presumably the RN). 'Musket' seems odd at first from an OTL point of view, but it was also historically a fairly generic term for firearm through the 16th/17th centuries as is.

Also, awesome update! I think I've mentioned this before so I'll apologize in advance, but is there any chance of a listing of factories with stats being posted at some point? I find that TTL colonialism strategy fascinating, as a similar-to-OTL-but-different development.

Thank you so much :D I realise it's almost all undecypherable and the release schedule does not exist but it means a huge amount that whenever I do come out with something people do seem to enjoy it. Requests and questions always always welcome, I really hope everyone sticks around to see what is next.

As ever I do hope to get a more regular schedule. My real life looks set to get a bit less busy and I'm gonna take a brief break from the site. When I get back, I might start finally putting some plans into action! Or I'll vanish for 6 months again! It's a mystery!

Also if anyone has any suggestions/requests/favourite topics you'd like to see appear in a future Newspaper, I have the template now and would like to get a few out! Please hit me with the kind of thing you'd like to see! New films/games/tv shows ittl? Technology updates? Music? Gossip? Just politics? Scandals? Military stuff? Architecure? Literally anything is good with me!
In terms of politics/history a textbook page examining colonialism’s evolution from new world colonialism into the factory system would be a dream but in terms of newspaper? I think showing off whatever dumb scandal is being used against the FC government could be fun, could show what people find unbecoming of politicians ITTL and also how this world’s politicians react to scandal.

An overview of films/TV would be interesting, what genres are there? Are documentaries a big thing, I think I remember alt-podcasts being more popular than music so is there a big theatre scene and are the broadcasts of performances? This kind of culture knowledge would be great.

I echo requests for films and tv. I think an in-universe overview of things like popular music and food in the Fraternal Commonwealth would be interesting. Or, if you plan to continue with the newspaper theme, perhaps an in-universe report on some high level political summit or other

Relating to that; Considering that it's two women being mentioned, and TTL's relatively accelerated progress (I think?) on gay rights, is this a Royal Wedding of Amelie and Josephine?