Fear Nothing But God: A Graphical History

Perhaps a fair criticism though I'd respond in two points:

1) Much of the world is quite dark and worse off than OTL and the next update will show that.
2) It is, in fact, meant to be more pleasant than is realistic and certainly more idyllic than OTL. A long time ago I explained the theory over on my test thread:

It is a shame, particularly because the heritage of the New Model Army was very cool but I realised I was falling into a trap where everything established, no matter how far back, was permanent. The Flag, Constitution, whole political identity of the FC has been frozen since the 1680s and I realised I needed to have history layer more and have things wax and wane much more than I was doing. The Black 20s are quite the damning splotch on the NMA's record, of course.
I imagine a concordist regime would not be pleasant place to live. Also where can i find this test thread?

Personally, I don't think timelines that are "better" than OTL are any more realistic than "dystopian" ones. It's really just that generally people can imagine things getting worse than OTL, but imagining a "better" TL also opens the disturbing possibility that, as Crimson himself stated, the "bad guys" have won several times across OTL history. Another example of a "brighter" TL than OTL on this website would (in my view) be something like Malé Rising.

banner-transparent-png.594372

BASIC TIMELINE OF THE ALBIC MILITARY
bYwnvjE.png

SNIP
Very awesome look at a different Defense establishment for the Commonwealth! I had two notes/quibbles off the top of my head;
1) "Model Army Sea Forces"? Dear god don't tell me there's seagoing sergeants and majors ITTL, that would suuuuck hard! Otherwise, just looks like a different naming convention, which I can dig. And,
2 Why "Skyfleet"? That's not a setup for a criticism, I'm genuinely curious why the aviation arm got called "Skyfleet" ITTL.

The Black 20s
uEYprbF.png

IPmxaVG.png

v7rIqBR.png
Z3m35lw.png

xAsV5lr.png
nlvhYoM.png

QBnIj9a.png

HtoWq1d.png

Whew! This has been a hell of an update to make, I tell you. It started as one box and just sort of escalated from there! I hope this fills in a big bit of Albic history, certainly shows us a darker moment. This whole idea has been rattling about inside my head for months now so its really nice to just get it out in the world. Its a big update so I'm absolutely certain there'll be errors. I'll fix those where and when I can but honestly I just hope people enjoy what I've got for you here! This has been a ton of work but I really think it paid off.

Let me know your questions! I'm going to come back at about 9 (in an hour and a halfish) to work through things and discuss this with people.​

Last edited:
Oh good lord, it's worse than I thought and there are more of them.
So we've basically got some sort of combination of super-centralization and also eugenics on our hands. Thank goodness they were all ground to dust by the league.

So we've basically got some sort of combination of super-centralization and also eugenics on our hands. Thank goodness they were all ground to dust by the league.
That raises the question of whether there are neopragmatists running around in the modern day

The forces used in this conflict seen way to small. Considering the population and technology have the period
I'm pretty sure industrialization goes differently ITTL & the world is a bit more agrarian than IOTL, so that may be part of it. Not sure if that applies here though.

I'm pretty sure industrialization goes differently ITTL & the world is a bit more agrarian than IOTL, so that may be part of it. Not sure if that applies here though.
I'd say so, the different pace of industrialization combined with the butterflying of what we would call imperialism in the traditional sense has led to population growth, but it's in areas that OTL had their development distorted by colonialism, so the low numbers of people in the direct conflict on the home islands makes sense if we assume that the bulk of the excess population relative to OTL comes from areas without direct access to the conflict.

Thank goodness they were all ground to dust by the league.
'Now the time has to put our victory to the tests of Peace, in company with Men of many lands to sift from ashes what the struggle taught. In the rebuilding of a broken Earth, may we keep in our hearts this ancient prayer, "Oh Lord God, we now givest to thy servants to endeavour any great matter; grant to us also to know, that it is not the beginning, but the continuing of the same until it is thoroughly finished, which yieldeth the True Glory."'

Also, I couldn't help but notice about the religion tab on Compact:

1613303979838.png

It seems like most of the change in religious belief in the Commonwealth over the 20th Century is by Old Anglicans switching to 'Ungodliness'.

1613303927913.png

Is this correct? And if so, why would Anglicans change so much while the other Christian sects seem unchanged?

This is as fascinating as it is horrifying and believable. Well done.
Thank you, I thought it would be more interesting to shine a light on something darker and I'm glad it was of interest!

Yeah they're not a lovely lot. The Organicists particularly aren't completely mental and this is all coming after years of anarchy, leading to some rather extreme solutions on the part of some. It's a grim period in history and in a bit I'll be going more into the Concordat and the League and what each faction was really about.

Interesting Fascism stand-in you made. I hope we get to know more about the Black 20s in the next updates.
Thank you! And yes it's something I'll continue to expand on.

That raises the question of whether there are neopragmatists running around in the modern day

There are a handful of course but they're pretty niche, even moreso than Neo-Nazis today I'd say. Because it was two movements which split and whithered afterwards, they haven't survived well. Organicism is generally just seen as a bit silly these days whilst Stratism has a similar reputation to OTL Nazism and its reliance on Pseudoscience has helped to bury it. If people want to get all reactionary and horrible they're more likely to adopt a more palatable "Oligarghic" ideology or Monarchism.

I love the name Skyfleet !

And good to see that France saved the Commonwealth from this dystopic regime :p

Thanks! I worried it sounds a bit silly but its an interesting divergence, I think, from OTL "Air Force" which is a big generic and clearly could go a different way. General idea is that Aeronautical terms are all a bit more, well, nautical ITTL. This is particularly pronounced in the Commonwealth where the Skyfleet is really a spin-off of the Navy and therefore adopts more of its terminology and stylings than of the Army.

The forces used in this conflict seen way to small. Considering the population and technology have the period
I'd say so, the different pace of industrialization combined with the butterflying of what we would call imperialism in the traditional sense has led to population growth, but it's in areas that OTL had their development distorted by colonialism, so the low numbers of people in the direct conflict on the home islands makes sense if we assume that the bulk of the excess population relative to OTL comes from areas without direct access to the conflict.

All of these are good points but just to add on; the Dirty War is based in large part on the early days of the Spanish Civil War and was never on a really massive, total war scale. Lasting less than a year, with the Pragmatists having the advantage from the get-go and in a world which has never really experienced a total "World War", the numbers remain closer to OTL conflicts of the late 19th century.

'Now the time has to put our victory to the tests of Peace, in company with Men of many lands to sift from ashes what the struggle taught. In the rebuilding of a broken Earth, may we keep in our hearts this ancient prayer, "Oh Lord God, we now givest to thy servants to endeavour any great matter; grant to us also to know, that it is not the beginning, but the continuing of the same until it is thoroughly finished, which yieldeth the True Glory."'

Love it! The quote going through my head with this was always my favorite; "Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered, but we have this consolation: The more difficult the struggle, the more glorious in the end will be our victory."

Also, I couldn't help but notice about the religion tab on Compact:

View attachment 624942

It seems like most of the change in religious belief in the Commonwealth over the 20th Century is by Old Anglicans switching to 'Ungodliness'.

View attachment 624941

Is this correct? And if so, why would Anglicans change so much while the other Christian sects seem unchanged?

Interesting thing to notice! So there's a few factors at play here:

1. The Old Anglicans have been in serious decline since the mid 1700s, having been disestablished officially, so they're on a downward slump at a faster rate than the other faiths.
  2. The Compact and its stats only pertain to Great Britain, not Ireland, the Factories or Colonies. Anglicans are overrepresented in Great Britain, Catholics are seriously underrepresented and the Friends are about on par - though overrepresented in the Colonies, so they're be higher in the 20s if that was counted.
  3. A lot of Friends circa 2019 are really agnostics, deists or "soft" atheists but just keep the old label out of habit. Anglicans are much less likely to do so, given that it's a more niche and doctrinal faith than the open, liberal and congregationalist Friends Church.

How is the general population growth around the world?
I've hinted at this in other posts but I'll do a quick rundown! General population is at about 10 billion, just crossing that in the last few years, but starting to stabilise with projections that things will settle down on a nice, neat ~12 billion or so.

Wealthy regions are stable at something close to replacement rates, generally meaning: Northern India, Greater Persia and MENA, Europe, Costal North and South America (but inland, particularly inland North America is still growing quite fast), Costal and Wealthy Inland Africa. Places where it's still growing tend to be, like OTL, places which are developing quite rapidly; Contraria (Australia) is most substantial here but also formerly poorer regions of Africa, particularly around the southern cone, are growing very quickly. China is all over the place as successive leaders either encourage or discourage growth and the up-and-down prosperity of the country takes its toll. Generally things are more balanced than OTL; migration occurs at similar rates but is much more thinly spread, with people moving all over to follow opportunities, passions, people, whatever, and perhaps tends to be a little more temporary than OTL with a good chunk of people eventually returning to their mother country as opportunities improve. The places really gaining from immigration are Southern Africa, South America and Contraria where lots of Europeans, Gurkhani and Persians are starting to set up shop. Central Europe is losing a lot of people as the tense situation in the Germanies isn't really good for anyone and a lot of Germans are making their way overseas. In Latin America, Parana is a real hotspot and similar to the OTL USA emphasises its "immigrant heritage", though of course there are grumbly anti-immigration sorts who want much stronger restrictions.

I've hinted at this in other posts but I'll do a quick rundown! General population is at about 10 billion, just crossing that in the last few years, but starting to stabilise with projections that things will settle down on a nice, neat ~12 billion or so.

Wealthy regions are stable at something close to replacement rates, generally meaning: Northern India, Greater Persia and MENA, Europe, Costal North and South America (but inland, particularly inland North America is still growing quite fast), Costal and Wealthy Inland Africa. Places where it's still growing tend to be, like OTL, places which are developing quite rapidly; Contraria (Australia) is most substantial here but also formerly poorer regions of Africa, particularly around the southern cone, are growing very quickly. China is all over the place as successive leaders either encourage or discourage growth and the up-and-down prosperity of the country takes its toll. Generally things are more balanced than OTL; migration occurs at similar rates but is much more thinly spread, with people moving all over to follow opportunities, passions, people, whatever, and perhaps tends to be a little more temporary than OTL with a good chunk of people eventually returning to their mother country as opportunities improve. The places really gaining from immigration are Southern Africa, South America and Contraria where lots of Europeans, Gurkhani and Persians are starting to set up shop. Central Europe is losing a lot of people as the tense situation in the Germanies isn't really good for anyone and a lot of Germans are making their way overseas. In Latin America, Parana is a real hotspot and similar to the OTL USA emphasises its "immigrant heritage", though of course there are grumbly anti-immigration sorts who want much stronger restrictions.
How ''European'' is america? i assume there are a lot more natives?