Fear Nothing But God: A Graphical History

Made a handful of tweaks, corrected a typo and added some bits for Jewish Holidays and Easter which should really have been included in the first place.

Are the Welsh and Irish not a bit miffed that they have to share days?
Bugger! David's Day is the 10th, thats a daft typo.

Is there a Charles Of Britain who led the Free Albic forces? :p
No spoilers now! ;) But there will be more on that next, I think.

No Easter?
Debated including it and really probably should have. Unlike most of these other holidays, however, it failed to make much of a jump from Christian to Universal, which Allhallows and Christmas have, taking on a lot of seclar meaning. I think I might go back and include it as a joint Passover-Easter Synthesis to reflect the importance of Jewish culture.

Interesting last two updates! I'm really interested to find out more about the "Black Twenties" and I really enjoy skimming through the election infobox. The amount of detail put into this TL is fantastic, and I have to appreciate how much you take advantage of the 17th Century POD to have completely different politics, terminology, and aesthetic. It really distinguishes this TL from others, particularly when it comes to graphic-based TLs.

Thanks! Its definitely an interesting period I'd like to explore in further depth soon. And I really do appreciate the kind words, diverging more heavily than your standard graphics TL has always been the central goal and I love just going wild on the worldbuilding - best bit of AH imo.

The Great Liberation seems really interesting, Especially the part about French and "Free Albic" forces cooperating, which implies the Commonwealth was occupied by a nation that was not its immediate neighbor. The immediate culprits I can think of are either some sort of expansionist Concordist nation a la the USSR or perhaps some sort of united but totalitarian Germany? I feel like those are the most obvious suggestion, but that they are also rather trope-y (like come on, *Germany invading the *UK?) and whatever it ends up being it will be a lot more creative than my suggestions.
Or an Unenlightened Rex restoration that arose domestically

Both interesting guesses, I shouldn't want to spoil anything but neither guess is entirely off the mark (or correct! :p). I have two things in the work, one bigger thing comparable to the Compass which should be interesting and hint at it, another which is smaller but directly ties into the Black 20s. Glad I've caught your interest!

Do they Jewish holidays off i mean they have a four percent Jewish population?

Yes but they're not public holidays; individuals can request special days off. I've added in a few now, how they've changed a little over time or been integrated a little into Albic culture as you're right, they're a significant enough population that its worth including.

I like the little nuggets of history that one can dig out from entries that otherwise don't discuss it directly. I wonder that the Black 20's were all about...
Thanks! I do like that sort of immersive story telling where you can glimmer little bits, hopefully you'll like the reveal of the Black 20s in detail when we get to it!

Made a handful of tweaks, corrected a typo and added some bits for Jewish Holidays and Easter which should really have been included in the first place.

Yes but they're not public holidays; individuals can request special days off. I've added in a few now, how they've changed a little over time or been integrated a little into Albic culture as you're right, they're a significant enough population that its worth including.

Thanks! I do like that sort of immersive story telling where you can glimmer little bits, hopefully you'll like the reveal of the Black 20s in detail when we get to it!

How did it get so high in the first place? Was their a Zionist movement in this timeline? Does nationalism has a concept even exist?

How did it get so high in the first place? Was their a Zionist movement in this timeline? Does nationalism has a concept even exist?

It was a slow build from the mid-18th century onward. The FC has, for most of its history, been welcoming and at times even explicitly invited Jews to come to Britain. Cromwell did this both IOTL and ITTL and the Second Commonwealth follow this from their inception. Later, in the 1740s, the FC secularises after a period of religious strife, making Albion an even more appealing option for European Jews and something of a safe haven.

Zionism was and remains a thing and a point of great debate but has yet to achieve a jewish homeland (though various negotiations are in progress, obviously Palestine being the most popular option but some ideas float around parts of North America or Contraria which have low populations).

With no homeland, most Ashkenazi Jews relocate to Albion rather than to the (non-existent, ITTL) US and Israel that we saw in real life. As IOTL, religious persecution pushed many Jews out of France and Germany and many of these emigrants settled in England. Originally Poland was the home of almost all European Jews but tensions began to rise in the late 18th century and didn't recover for nearly a hundred years, leading to some progroms and restrictive local laws, though national laws were always non-discriminatory. Russia also saw this shift towards more overt antisemitism and with Eastern Europe becoming increasingly hostile, as much as half of the Eastern European Jewish population left for Albion and her Sister Commonwealths (around 70% for Albion proper, 30% to the colonies).

No Shoah/Holocaust (and, very explicitly, no equivalent) means the global Jewish and particularly Ashkenazi population is much higher than IOTL (probably around double) as IOTL the Ashkenazi population fell from ~16 million in 1930 to only ~10 million today. ITTl, that hasn't happened and its as high as ~20-22 million, about 4-5 million of those in Albion.

The idea for giving Britain a high Jewish population came from a) the FC being something of a US analogy, b) Cromwell's acceptance of Jews and jewish immigration, c) wanting to add some interesting alternate cultural diversity to the FC compared to OTL's Britain and explore how having different minority populations causes divergences in the majority culture, which I find fascinating.

The sad irony of discussing this today of all days is not lost on me. :/ I've said before that the Fraternal Commonwealth isn't a utopia but its a "nicer" version of OTL's Britain and clearly on antisemitism we're doing much better ITTL than in real life.

Bugger! David's Day is the 10th, thats a daft typo.

No spoilers now! ;) But there will be more on that next, I think.

Debated including it and really probably should have. Unlike most of these other holidays, however, it failed to make much of a jump from Christian to Universal, which Allhallows and Christmas have, taking on a lot of seclar meaning. I think I might go back and include it as a joint Passover-Easter Synthesis to reflect the importance of Jewish culture.

Thanks! Its definitely an interesting period I'd like to explore in further depth soon. And I really do appreciate the kind words, diverging more heavily than your standard graphics TL has always been the central goal and I love just going wild on the worldbuilding - best bit of AH imo.

Both interesting guesses, I shouldn't want to spoil anything but neither guess is entirely off the mark (or correct! :p). I have two things in the work, one bigger thing comparable to the Compass which should be interesting and hint at it, another which is smaller but directly ties into the Black 20s. Glad I've caught your interest!

Can I still get a summary on Bravo-Tizon, or is that just a background to the Fraternal Commonwealth?

Can I still get a summary on Bravo-Tizon, or is that just a background to the Fraternal Commonwealth?

Ah sorry I knew I forgot something. I've got some IRL stuff happening suddenly so this won't be a super in depth rundown but:

-

Bravo-Tizon was part of Spanish Mexico for a very long time and the Spanish Empire survived well into the 19th century ittl. However Northern Mexico increasingly was out of direct Spanish control and saw a large influx of non-Spanish settlers. Some slaveowners from the Albic colonies flee there after the abolition of slavery and generally over time there's some Anglo influx. Likewise, the Mississippian Revolution drives a lot of French speaking settlers into the country and over time it gets a reputation as being diverse and cosmopolitan, particularly when compared with the decidedly Spanish speaking southern-central Mexico. When the Spanish Empire breaks down, the region is a real mess of rebellions and independence movements.

The largest is the Republic of the Rio Bravo (more commonly known as the Rio Grande iotl), around what is OTL South Texas, Nuevo León and Coahuila. It is almost entirely Spanish speaking and dominated by larger, wealthy ranches. In the west (Baja, Sonora and Arizona) the second most powerful new nation is the Commonwealth of Sonora, dominated by Anglo and particularly French settlers but with a substantial Spanish speaking minority. The two nations have relatively natural borders with one another and mop up most of the smaller new independence movements on their borders.

The Spanish invade the region to attempt a reconquest and the two Republics align in a pragmatic alliance, eventually holding off the Spanish for long enough for them to give up on everything outside the Carribean.

Now free, the two young nations quickly agree on sustaining their alliance as the also newly independent Mejico is now planning on "reconquering" all their previous territories , including Bravo and Rouge. Winning this war in the 1850s, they soon ratify this alliance into a Confederation and later a full on unification. Renamed Bravo-Tizon after the two great rivers who flank them. They're relatively sparsely populated but rich in natural resources, highly developed and democratic. One of the most powerful nations in North America, Bravo-Tizon is mostly Spanish speaking but with huge Anglo and French influence with a local creole smashing the three languages into something not far off Esperanto. They're ranchers, cowboys, oil barons and traders.

A big multicultural, Spanish dominated, alt-Texas. It's also something of an east-west meeting point and for many years a hub of important and export, before any canals were built the fastest way to get something form Huaxia or Contraria to Europe was shipping it to western Bravo-Tizon, putting it on a train, picking it up in the gulf and heading east. This means a lot of business is centred in the country and, given its multilingual set up, Albic, French and Spanish speaking businesses often set up there if they're thinking about going international.

Bit of a ramble and not very well ordered at all but I hope that gives something of a vibe.

Ah sorry I knew I forgot something. I've got some IRL stuff happening suddenly so this won't be a super in depth rundown but:

-

Bravo-Tizon was part of Spanish Mexico for a very long time and the Spanish Empire survived well into the 19th century ittl. However Northern Mexico increasingly was out of direct Spanish control and saw a large influx of non-Spanish settlers. Some slaveowners from the Albic colonies flee there after the abolition of slavery and generally over time there's some Anglo influx. Likewise, the Mississippian Revolution drives a lot of French speaking settlers into the country and over time it gets a reputation as being diverse and cosmopolitan, particularly when compared with the decidedly Spanish speaking southern-central Mexico. When the Spanish Empire breaks down, the region is a real mess of rebellions and independence movements.

The largest is the Republic of the Rio Bravo (more commonly known as the Rio Grande iotl), around what is OTL South Texas, Nuevo León and Coahuila. It is almost entirely Spanish speaking and dominated by larger, wealthy ranches. In the west (Baja, Sonora and Arizona) the second most powerful new nation is the Commonwealth of Sonora, dominated by Anglo and particularly French settlers but with a substantial Spanish speaking minority. The two nations have relatively natural borders with one another and mop up most of the smaller new independence movements on their borders.

The Spanish invade the region to attempt a reconquest and the two Republics align in a pragmatic alliance, eventually holding off the Spanish for long enough for them to give up on everything outside the Carribean.

Now free, the two young nations quickly agree on sustaining their alliance as the also newly independent Mejico is now planning on "reconquering" all their previous territories , including Bravo and Rouge. Winning this war in the 1850s, they soon ratify this alliance into a Confederation and later a full on unification. Renamed Bravo-Tizon after the two great rivers who flank them. They're relatively sparsely populated but rich in natural resources, highly developed and democratic. One of the most powerful nations in North America, Bravo-Tizon is mostly Spanish speaking but with huge Anglo and French influence with a local creole smashing the three languages into something not far off Esperanto. They're ranchers, cowboys, oil barons and traders.

A big multicultural, Spanish dominated, alt-Texas. It's also something of an east-west meeting point and for many years a hub of important and export, before any canals were built the fastest way to get something form Huaxia or Contraria to Europe was shipping it to western Bravo-Tizon, putting it on a train, picking it up in the gulf and heading east. This means a lot of business is centred in the country and, given its multilingual set up, Albic, French and Spanish speaking businesses often set up there if they're thinking about going international.

Bit of a ramble and not very well ordered at all but I hope that gives something of a vibe.
Love it! Thanks! I'd be proud to call myself a Bravotizoneño (I think that would be the proper demonym, but I'm not sure. I'm not fluent in Spanish)

-

Mississippi that's a French nation correct?

Speaking of France, what's the status of the Francophonie? France might have let Mississippi go, but it looks like they still control Quebec, Guyana, Patagonia, the Ivory Coast, and Marian/Haiti. Did the French empire ever get as big as OTL? I'm guessing not since large scale colonies in Africa seems to be a no-no in this universe, but that doesn't mean that France couldn't have created virtual puppet states out of African nations in West and North Africa from their imperial factories.

What about Indochina? My guess is that, rather then conquering the region like in OTL, the French treated the already existing Nayanu Empire the same way the British treated Egypt and essentially controled the state via puppet administers until the natives kicked them out in some rebellion.

This is correct, I mentioned it in the ideologies post and I think I've talked about it off hand as well. Mississippi is organised along strict Concordist lines and is the most powerful bastion of that ideology and work agressively to expand it. You can find a little more detail on what Concordism is here.
How far has concordism spread? I see that these Shoshone and Nez Percé neighbouring states seem concordist, is Japan still concordist? And that description says it was important in the hsitory of the past century, which countries were concordist or had strong concordist presence?

This is correct, I mentioned it in the ideologies post and I think I've talked about it off hand as well. Mississippi is organised along strict Concordist lines and is the most powerful bastion of that ideology and work agressively to expand it. You can find a little more detail on what Concordism is here.
I knew what It was I did not know that was the Ideology of Mississippi. But can you answer some of my other questions what are Mississippi demographics also was Concordism this timelines equivalent to communism a wide spread workers movement that collapsed when it was shown it was unworkable Except in some small pockets?

I knew what It was I did not know that was the Ideology of Mississippi. But can you answer some of my other questions what are Mississippi demographics also was Concordism this timelines equivalent to communism a wide spread workers movement that collapsed when it was shown it was unworkable Except in some small pockets?
I don't know about "collapsed when it was shown it was unworkable", this TL lacks a Cold War and has a much more diverse and regionalist take on great power projection. Despite the wide spread of Concordist partisans there's no evidence that major swathes of the world were Concordist and lost the fervor, just that it's popular in a few places and has ideological adherents all over the place. "Orthodox" Concordism is regarded as extreme, but softer variants clearly still exert a political pull in nations far removed from centers of Concordist society. I also take issue with characterizing it as a worker's movement given the broader focus on symbiosis between all parts of society not merely the advancement of a particular social class.

Last edited:
I don't know about "collapsed when it was shown it was unworkable", this TL lacks a Cold War and has a much more diverse and regionalist take on great power projection. Despite the wide spread of Concordist partisans there's no evidence that major swathes of the world were Concordist and lost the fervor, just that it's popular in a few places and has ideological adherents all over the place. "Orthodox" Concordism is regarded as extreme, but softer variants clearly still exert a political pull in nations far removed from centers of Concordist society. I also take issue with characterizing it as a worker's movement given the broader focus on symbiosis between all parts of society not merely the advancement of a particular social class.

Where did all this discussion on this ideology happen your using details I can't find on any the six pages of this tl?