FDW's Weekly Map Challenge #2

FDW

Banned
Okay, It's back, the Map Challenges rules are the same as before, I provide a little info about the map and you try and come with the way these countries came to be, let's get started.

POD:800

Year:1800

Tech Level:1860

The Lotharingian's are at war, who there at war with should be obvious.

There are at least two major powers in decline, and one more that isn't that obvious.

Yes, that's Ethiopia.

There's at least one country that has manged to piss off all of it's neighbors, guess who.

Yes, Moravia doesn't control Moravia and Kiev doesn't control Kiev.

There's at least one alliance of Awkward Bedfellows.

This is meant to be a lead up to a realistic Code Geass TL, "An Arrow, A Sword, and An Axe.

1800.png

Germaniac

Donor
Those borders have very few reasons to exist. There are no natural boundaries to really warrant many of those. However love this thing you got going on.

FDW

Banned
Those borders have very few reasons to exist. There are no natural boundaries to really warrant many of those. However love this thing you got going on.

I've been basing the Borders off of this map here. And yeah, I thought It would be a cool idea, wanna take a guess at it?

europe.png

FDW, let me extrapolate something: You seem to like
  • Khan titles,
  • Kiev,
  • the Fins. :)

OK, judging from fuzzy borders, Lotharingia should be at war with Britain.

Abyssinia probably controls Yemen and most of the rest of the Arabic Peninsula.

PoD seems to come along the lines: Charlemagne only two grandsons rather than three, and they agree on a North-South division of the Frankish realm. If the South was the "Empire" from the beginning, this also implies that the elder brother was the one _not_ named Lothar (as the other one inherited the imperial title).

The Holy Roman Empire thus is more Italy-based and starts to reconquer Roman territory in, around the Mediterranean (such as Byzantium did IOTL in the West).

An Arrow, A Sword, and An Axe.

My first thought on that: The arrow is NOT useful alone ...

FDW

Banned
FDW, let me extrapolate something: You seem to like
  • Khan titles,
  • Kiev,
  • the Fins. :)

OK, judging from fuzzy borders, Lotharingia should be at war with Britain.

Abyssinia probably controls Yemen and most of the rest of the Arabic Peninsula.

PoD seems to come along the lines: Charlemagne only two grandsons rather than three, and they agree on a North-South division of the Frankish realm. If the South was the "Empire" from the beginning, this also implies that the elder brother was the one _not_ named Lothar (as the other one inherited the imperial title).

The Holy Roman Empire thus is more Italy-based and starts to reconquer Roman territory in, around the Mediterranean (such as Byzantium did IOTL in the West).

My first thought on that: The arrow is NOT useful alone ...

I wouldn't Extrapolate too much from just two threads, give it five before you call a pattern.

Lotharingia is at war Britain, and they're winning, and there is reason for that war.

Yes, Abyssinia controls the Arabian Peninsula, they used to control more but…

POD is accurate, although there is more to it that.

The conquests of the HRE are more recent in nature than you might think.

Mongols manage to destroy Byzantium.

Turkish Khanate is on the decline, lands being conquered by Rome.

The Lothar-English war is because of a marriage (Like OTL Hundred Year's).

All the Caucasian states have recenty broken off from Abyssinia

FDW

Banned
Mongols manage to destroy Byzantium.

Turkish Khanate is on the decline, lands being conquered by Rome.

The Lothar-English war is because of a marriage (Like OTL Hundred Year's).

All the Caucasian states have recenty broken off from Abyssinia

No, not quite.

Yeah, they're on the decline.

No different reason, going farther back.

No the Abyssinians have only recently reached their high water mark in the region, the state's they the Caucasian states broke off from were either the Turks or the Persians.

Is there an Islam?

Were the large "Holy Roman" territories around the Mediterranean joint by unification?
You mentioned "conquest". So did they belong to a *Kingdom of Naples or to some *Byzantium or to the *Turks?

As a suggestion for next week: You might want to reduce the gap between PoD and current year. We don't know what's going on in the world AND we don't know why. Guessing both over a stretch of a thousand years is just gambling ... But I definitely would like to see more of these with more chance to imagine intermediate steps.

Last edited:

FDW

Banned
Is there an Islam?

Were the large "Holy Roman" territories around the Mediterranean joint by unification?
You mentioned "conquest". So did they belong to a *Kingdom of Naples or to some *Byzantium or to the *Turks?

As a suggestion for next week: You might want to reduce the gap between PoD and current year. We don't know what's going on in the world AND we don't know why. Guessing both over a stretch of a thousand years is just gambling ... But I definitely would like to see more of these with more chance to imagine intermediate steps.

Yes Islam exists.

No they were conquered over the last 150 years, and many of the territories were under the control of various emirates.

Next time won't have such a big POD, if mainly to shake things up.

Yes Islam exists.

No they were conquered over the last 150 years, and many of the territories were under the control of various emirates.

Next time won't have such a big POD, if mainly to shake things up.

Emirates...lets see.

The Arabs won at Tours. Most of southern France came under Arab rule and was Islamicized.

Charlemagne had two sons, who spit the empire (or what was left of it) north and south. One took Italy (HRE), the other northern France. Later, the HRE was the first part of Europe to industrialize for some reason, and went on an anti-Muslim conquest spree with its new toys.

Ghenghis Khan had an unfortunate accident early in his life and passed into obscurity. The places he or his children destroyed in OTL survived (Kiev, Seljuks-assume thats who the "Khanate of the Turks" is, but "Turks" is really as broad a label as "Indo-Europeans", so it could be a number of different groups)

Moravia is some kind of Chezch state that conquered Poland. Later, the "Turks" forced it and Kiev out of their original homelands.

Where Ethiopia-on-steriods came from I'm not going to begin to guess.

FDW

Banned
Emirates...lets see.

The Arabs won at Tours. Most of southern France came under Arab rule and was Islamicized.

Charlemagne had two sons, who spit the empire (or what was left of it) north and south. One took Italy (HRE), the other northern France. Later, the HRE was the first part of Europe to industrialize for some reason, and went on an anti-Muslim conquest spree with its new toys.

Ghenghis Khan had an unfortunate accident early in his life and passed into obscurity. The places he or his children destroyed in OTL survived (Kiev, Seljuks-assume thats who the "Khanate of the Turks" is, but "Turks" is really as broad a label as "Indo-Europeans", so it could be a number of different groups)

Moravia is some kind of Chezch state that conquered Poland. Later, the "Turks" forced it and Kiev out of their original homelands.

Where Ethiopia-on-steriods came from I'm not going to begin to guess.

Rather interesting guesses Tolkienguy, especially about Moravia, though it was really more the HRE that kicked them out.