Should we change this title to "The Big 4 comics industry"

• Yes

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Yes but it will have to change when Image comics is formed?

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No Fawcett comics survives is a good title

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry for 1972 being scatter brain but I been finding stuff that I needs to to be addressed into the time line and will be jumping back and forth through the year before getting into 73

Hey, you do what you have to do, man. We're all looking forward to whatever you have next.

Fawcett comics survives
mister_fear.gif

In July of 1972 Gene Colan and Wally Wood pitched Mr. Fear as a villain for Mr. Scarlet Fear would not only become a major villain for Mr. Scarlet but would antagonise The Question, and Creeper as well

Ok so obviously I over shot and did a bunch of ideas for the mid 80's as I'm more familiar with that period in comics. Hopefully those can be revisited later down the line but we're still firmly rooted in 1972 and there's a lot to be explored. The unofficial start of the Bronze Age of Comics begins in 1973 with the Death Of Gwen Stacy. It will be interesting to see how this expanded comics world reacts. Who starts creating a kill list for impactful deaths? Oh man how tearful would it be to see one of the Marvel Families supporting cast pass away. Also do Fawcett and Charlton do their own anti-drug comics to counter Spider-Man's "Green Goblin Reborn" and Green Lantern/Green Arrow "Snowbirds Don't Fly".

Who's the first company that will allow artists to keep their artwork and sell it on the open market. Also with Siegel and Shuster doing much better in this timeline who or what pressures comic companies into better treatment and credit for their creations. Is it simply the increased competition among publishers where one decides to act and the others follow suit.

Just who revives the X-Men for the modern era? There will be no Nightcrawler this go around so this might not be a Wein and Cockrum jam anymore. Which means it could go anywhere.

Does National Lampoon still enter the Comic Marketplace by translating and offering Heavy Metal Magazine? Is there still a boom in anthology and team up comics how does Fawcett and the surviving companies interpret them. Does DC implode in this timeline after raising the price to justify new titles and added material? Do we still get the first era of teamups ala Superman/Spiderman and Batman/Hulk?

Ok so obviously I over shot and did a bunch of ideas for the mid 80's as I'm more familiar with that period in comics. Hopefully those can be revisited later down the line but we're still firmly rooted in 1972 and there's a lot to be explored. The unofficial start of the Bronze Age of Comics begins in 1973 with the Death Of Gwen Stacy. It will be interesting to see how this expanded comics world reacts. Who starts creating a kill list for impactful deaths? Oh man how tearful would it be to see one of the Marvel Families supporting cast pass away. Also do Fawcett and Charlton do their own anti-drug comics to counter Spider-Man's "Green Goblin Reborn" and Green Lantern/Green Arrow "Snowbirds Don't Fly".

Who's the first company that will allow artists to keep their artwork and sell it on the open market. Also with Siegel and Shuster doing much better in this timeline who or what pressures comic companies into better treatment and credit for their creations. Is it simply the increased competition among publishers where one decides to act and the others follow suit.

Just who revives the X-Men for the modern era? There will be no Nightcrawler this go around so this might not be a Wein and Cockrum jam anymore. Which means it could go anywhere.

Does National Lampoon still enter the Comic Marketplace by translating and offering Heavy Metal Magazine? Is there still a boom in anthology and team up comics how does Fawcett and the surviving companies interpret them. Does DC implode in this timeline after raising the price to justify new titles and added material? Do we still get the first era of teamups ala Superman/Spiderman and Batman/Hulk?
  • Well Fawcett & Charlton will have to make their PSA comic at that time. Fawcett in the Pages of Hawk and Dove or Captain Marvel jr. Charlton hard to say as they really only have Bullseye Battalion at the moment but have plenty of licensed comics
  • With a big 4 comics industry that has people like Jerry Siegel & Steve Ditko getting more acclaim ITTL is better with creator rights
  • X-men doesn't get revived until the mid 80s with X-men: New Mutants. Nightcrawler ,Colossus, and an alternate version of Storm will be added to Teen Titans when Wein/Cockrum take over that title
  • Heavy Metal will be the same as OTL
  • first era Crossovers will be tricky with the Big 4 but I have some ideas

I've been thinking. Maybe Cyborg and Starfire and maybe Gnarrk could join the x-men in place of the members that're now at DC?

I had another idea, How about to make Captain Marvel stand out from Superman even more, Otto Binder and Jerry Siegel decide to have him gain his magic lightning powers from the New 52 IOTL early? We can have it be a part of the Monster Society Event.

Longtime lurker, hope no one minds me poking in. What's been going on with adaptations in other media? If we're already up to 1970, has there been any casting for Donner's Superman movie? Are there any plans for Captain Marvel's silver screen debut? Are there still plans for a Wonder Woman show in 1975 or Spider-Man in 1977? I just feel like a lot of stuff in the greater media world in regards to superheroes has kind of been forgotten in the rush of hot gluing characters from different properties onto one another. Also, put me down for putting Cyborg and Starfire on the X-men, since it kind of feels like they've been getting the shaft in this timeline.

And also also, if Jack Kirby is going to be writing Superman for the foreseeable future, maybe Elliot S. Maggin could write Thor in this timeline in the 70s? Lend his ability to cast a sympathetic eye on Lex Luthor to Loki?

Longtime lurker, hope no one minds me poking in. What's been going on with adaptations in other media? If we're already up to 1970, has there been any casting for Donner's Superman movie? Are there any plans for Captain Marvel's silver screen debut? Are there still plans for a Wonder Woman show in 1975 or Spider-Man in 1977? I just feel like a lot of stuff in the greater media world in regards to superheroes has kind of been forgotten in the rush of hot gluing characters from different properties onto one another. Also, put me down for putting Cyborg and Starfire on the X-men, since it kind of feels like they've been getting the shaft in this timeline.

And also also, if Jack Kirby is going to be writing Superman for the foreseeable future, maybe Elliot S. Maggin could write Thor in this timeline in the 70s? Lend his ability to cast a sympathetic eye on Lex Luthor to Loki?
  1. Superman is the Sci/fi experiment owned by a big studio, the earliest Captain Marvel could get is mid-80s
  2. Wonder Woman, Spiderman, Incredible Hulk, Moon girl, & Peacemaker are all planned for live action TV shows
  3. I'm down for Elliot S. Maggin doing Thor but it might butterfly away Walt Simonsons run

I don't think that'd necessarily be true, since Maggin started writing Superman in the early 70s and Simonson's Thor run didn't start until 1983. That's a decade of stories for Elliot and he could always move to another title to give Simonson his turn with the Godly Goldilocks.

So 1973 was the year of the original Secret Empire story and was in part a reaction to Watergate. Do other publishers react with stories of their own? Also if the there's no new X-Men title on the horizon maybe they become supporting characters in Captain America or a backup feature there instead of the years of reprints we got in our timeline. Originally the Secret Empire kidnapped powerful mutants as a power source, so it ties in together. It might go along well with the short lived Nomad identity. Or a way to get some of the X-Men on the Defenders.

Jack Kirby on Superman might take a swing at Watergate as well maybe using Clark Kent in his capacity as a reporter, maybe even Jimmy Olsen or Lois Lane. This could cause Superman to go to Space for a period of time and have cosmic adventures before grounding himself with an story line that restores his faith back on earth. Also does Batgirl Barbara Gordon still become a United States Congresswoman how does she react? Do we still get the short lived romance and deep friendship between Clark Kent and Barbara Gordon? Always bummed that wasn't explored more.

Even though he's probably my least favorite character of all time it would be interesting to see Mr. A or even the Question reacting to Watergate or just Ditko altogether. Siegel and Shuster heading editorial too. Do different companies take distinct opinions on the Watergate event?

I could see Cyclops coming out of retirement to join (and maybe eventually lead) the Defenders. Jean, too, since we had that recent interview where it got revealed that the original plan for her Phoenix character was for her to be a cosmic level hero like Thor. It would be a good way to let her flex her muscle.

I don't like the idea of Superman leaving the Earth, just because if Marvel does the Nomad idea, it will look like they're copying it. Plus, it would make Superman look selfish and even a little dumb if he just abandons the Earth and the billions of people who he's supposed to love and protect just because he found out politicians are corrupt. It would be something that would serve as a black mark on the character in future years. Unless he was to just outright stop being an Earthbound hero (is Kandor still a thing?)

And I'm sorry, the WHAT between Clark and Barbara? Because I checked with Google and found nothing.

Fawcett comics survives
@SonOfSharknado @brokenrobot00 I think their's is some confusion that I let get out of hand Jack Kirby's involvement ITTL is only really expanded because the Phantom Zone villains were butterflied away and the New Gods replaced them.Maggon should still be on Action Comics at the time.
Secret Empire should be unaffected with the possibility of Xavier's school being attacked and Mr. & Mrs. Sommers being proactive in the storyline. But Yeah like IOTL Captain America is the only comic book making Watergate parallels...well perhaps Hawk & Dove brings it up

Sounds like a good plan to me THeaven. Like the idea of Scott and Jean being married earlier on in this timeline. Changes their feel to a family theme much earlier. Makes me wonder if when Sue and Reed take a break from the Fantastic Four they ask Scott and Jean to fill in for them. Hmmm this makes me want some sort of superhero couple dinner party all of a sudden, or a night out at some sort of supper club or theater, a prototype Hellfire Club trying to recruit superhumans?

Uncle Walt remaining on Thor is for the best in my mind though giving him a run on Hercules (Marvel or DC), Venus, or Samson would be really cool. Plenty of mythology to explore and bring to comics. Even having him take on the mythological aspects of Captain Marvel or Black Adam would be really cool. Though I want his Wife Louise to revive the X-Men in the 80's. Her X-Factor run is one of my all time favorites.

SonofSharknado yes for a very brief time in the 1970's Clark Kent and Barbara Gordon were dating. I want to say it was less than a year. Didn't go very far because Batman and Superman editorial didn't want to share their characters. It was that brief period where Babs was a Congresswoman and living in Washington DC. Posted some images below of the issue in question. Links to a blog that discusses it in further detail. http://random-happenstance.blogspot.com/2007/01/shes-no-nancy-pelosi-but-barbara-gordon.html
01-08-2007 10;16;49PM.JPG
01-08-2007 10;21;54PM.JPG

I think that Walt's run on thor should be butterflied. Maybe put him on a Charlton title like Black Lightning or Defenders of the Earth? As for Watergate, I think at least all of the Big 4 should have at least one title addressing it.

DC - Superman
Atlas - Captain America
Fawcett - Hawk and Dove
Charlton - Peacemaker

I'll say this, after working with some very left-leaning characters these past few years, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ditko doesn't write the Hawk and Dove watergate comic himself as self-penance.

Last edited:
DC - Superman

I don't like the idea of Superman leaving the Earth, just because if Marvel does the Nomad idea, it will look like they're copying it. Plus, it would make Superman look selfish and even a little dumb if he just abandons the Earth and the billions of people who he's supposed to love and protect just because he found out politicians are corrupt. It would be something that would serve as a black mark on the character in future years. Unless he was to just outright stop being an Earthbound hero (is Kandor still a thing?)

The More I think about it the more SonofSharknado is right about a possible Superman story for Watergate. It would be redundant with Captain America. If it were to happen and it's likely not in this timeline I'd have the Watergate issue be centered mostly on Jimmy and Lois just barely missing out on the story of a lifetime but now more committed to investigative journalism than ever as the power of the press is proven. They go on a tear exposing local corruption in the pages of the Daily Planet nearly every week. Clark Kent is impressed and realizes that as a news anchor at WGBS he likely can't do what he did as a newspaper reporter. So he starts remembering his origin days and recommits Superman to social justice, like the late 30's version of the character. All of this eventually leads into Superman Vs. Muhammad Ali. I know THeaven isn't leaning toward more Watergate content at DC but that's how I'd do it and appreciate the format to toss in my two cents. Loving this thread so much.

The More I think about it the more SonofSharknado is right about a possible Superman story for Watergate. It would be redundant with Captain America. If it were to happen and it's likely not in this timeline I'd have the Watergate issue be centered mostly on Jimmy and Lois just barely missing out on the story of a lifetime but now more committed to investigative journalism than ever as the power of the press is proven. They go on a tear exposing local corruption in the pages of the Daily Planet nearly every week. Clark Kent is impressed and realizes that as a news anchor at WGBS he likely can't do what he did as a newspaper reporter. So he starts remembering his origin days and recommits Superman to social justice, like the late 30's version of the character. All of this eventually leads into Superman Vs. Muhammad Ali. I know THeaven isn't leaning toward more Watergate content at DC but that's how I'd do it and appreciate the format to toss in my two cents. Loving this thread so much.

I know that Hawk and Dove are kinda like the Spider-Man of Fawcett ITTL but I think that maybe The T.H.U.N.D.E.R Agents would be more fitting for a Fawcett Watergate thing. I know that they're agents of the UN rather than the US Government, but seeing as most of their members are in fact costumed American, I think it'd be more fitting for them over Hawk and Dove.

Also, I've been thinking. Starfire and Cyborg should be in the Legion with Terra, although Gnarrk and Rachel Roth should still be in the X-Men and then let them have the Whole Trigon deal. Somehow, the Titans should still get to have Deathstroke.

Last edited:
Fawcett comics survives
PSX_20191202_140047.jpg

In the July issue of Ms magazine Gloria Stienman wrote the article Women in Comics in which she interviewed
  • Violet Barclay
  • Linda Fite
  • Ramona Fradon
  • Trina Robbins
  • Tatiana Wood
  • Marie Severin
  • Dorothy Woolfolk
  • Mary Binder (as Linda Lee Danvers)
The interview talked about the ladies lives their struggle in a Male dominated industry but mainly as a stealthy recruitment interview for a new comic company under Ms magazine (it doesn't go anywhere)

I know that Hawk and Dove are kinda like the Spider-Man of Fawcett ITTL but I think that maybe The T.H.U.N.D.E.R Agents would be more fitting for a Fawcett Watergate thing. I know that they're agents of the UN rather than the US Government, but seeing as most of their members are in fact costumed American, I think it'd be more fitting for them over Hawk and Dove.
I would also suggest that Green lantern/Green Arrow would use Watergate better than Superman

Actually, I had another idea, maybe instead of Fawcett getting Liberty belle and Killjoy going to Charlton, maybe it should be reversed. I'm pretty sure patriotic themed heroes aren't going to be back in fashion until Steve Rodgers becomes Captain America again and Fawcett seems like the kind of company that would accept Killjoy with open arms. Besides, LB or whatever she's gonna be called here really does fit in with the Chalton Universe's Neo-Pulp aesthetic. Although, maybe let's NOT make Killjoy a blatant outlet for Ditko's objectivism this time? Maybe give him something resembling coherency?

BTW, I promised to offer an idea for E-Man at Charlton and this is it. Basically, what if the Sentient Energy that became E-Man was, in fact, from Stardust's Private Star, that had been left alone for decades since it's owner's disappearance, becoming more and more powerful before eventually going supernova? with the Squadron Supreme freed from their time loop, I think it makes sense for Stardust to eventually seek out E-Man by recognizing the energy of his star within him, seeking him out and maybe accepting him as a sort of surrogate ''son.'' Thereby giving Alec Tron more lore and development.

Last edited: