Should we change this title to "The Big 4 comics industry"

• Yes

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Yes but it will have to change when Image comics is formed?

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No Fawcett comics survives is a good title

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The whole situation is weird. The base idea (buff guy with cape and black hair) is absolutely a ripoff of Superman and while Beck and Binder definitely had integrity and did their own thing they were instructed (so I’ve heard) to create a knockoff.

DC was dickish but the claims of plagiarism weren’t entirely false

I also think what DC did with black Adam (having him be someone who would be a hero in the Bronze Age but a thug today) works well and 52s arc was absolutely heartbreaking
No it wasn't entirely false however the court felt differently ITTL
and I have plans for Black Adam

So, what's next?
PSX_20191223_181817.jpg

OK, so, I think this time between now and whatever significant event to discuss how the Fawcett Universe works in terms of its heroes and how the people there treat them. F.E., we know that DC's citizens treat their heroes as Champions and protectors of their best virtues and praise them, whereas the Marvel/Atlas U's citizens tend to treat their heroes with some degree of suspicion. So, how are the Atlas heroes treated In-Universe?

Last edited:
1974 is not going to be a good year for comics.
In January 16 1974, William "Bill" Finger died at the age of 59. His death was shocking to the staff of DC comics and the first appearances of Batwoman and the Joker were reprinted in the pages of Batman family # 4 in his honor

Fawcett comics survives
PSX_20191226_211232.jpg

Paper shortage affects in North America was effective in weakening Fawcett's Paperback division as a way of boosting sales Captain Marvel writer Elliot S. Maggin was commissioned by the Fawcett Family to write a novel about their Comic book hero Captain Marvel in 1974
Maggin turned in a novel about the Wizard Shazam his search throughout the millenniums bestowing Champions through the Black Adam of Ancient Egypt, to the chosen ones from Camelot , the Renaissance, American Revolution, and finaly Billy Batson in modern day.
Unfortunately the book was not a best seller however the idea of the Wizard Shazam appointing heroes throughout the years would influence Captain Marvel writers in years to come

View attachment 511565
Paper shortage affects in North America was effective in weakening Fawcett's Paperback division as a way of boosting sales Captain Marvel writer Elliot S. Maggin was commissioned by the Fawcett Family to write a novel about their Comic book hero Captain Marvel in 1974
Maggin turned in a novel about the Wizard Shazam his search throughout the millenniums bestowing Champions through the Black Adam of Ancient Egypt, to the chosen ones from Camelot , the Renaissance, American Revolution, and finaly Billy Batson in modern day.

Is this meant to imply that Merlin was actually Shazam?

Also, I'm guessing that this lack of paper thing is what will lead Fawcett to sell themselves to Paramount soon. Speaking of, how's that fourth tv network thing going for them?

Is this meant to imply that Merlin was actually Shazam?

Also, I'm guessing that this lack of paper thing is what will lead Fawcett to sell themselves to Paramount soon. Speaking of, how's that fourth tv network thing going for them?
  • yes
  • perhaps
  • not until the late 70's

Fawcett comics survives
In February of 1974 Atlas comics inadvertently taunted Fawcett with the cover of Luke Cage: Powerman #17 retitled from Luke Cage: Heroes for Hire as the cover suggested that Luke Cage was the first Black Superhero when Hunchback, and Black Sentinel had their titles first
PSX_20191229_134020.jpg

Stan Lee and Roy Thomas pointed to the fact that Black Panther appeared before them and unlike those three characters Luke Cage actually has superpowers Stan Lee would say in a television interview pointing to the underlined word. But that's not the only taunt Atlas comics was giving to Fawcett.
PSX_20191229_134432.jpg while Ditko had taken over editorials while Otto Binder took a leave of absence and teased issues of The Question, and Hawk & Dove with the tease of " Who is Killjoy " storyline Ditko was found Atlas introducing a murderous vigilante of there own in The Punisher and introducing him in Ditkos old creations title at that led Steve Ditko to decide that he can't just tease he would have to bring Killjoy to Fawcett.

Big sacrifice on Ditko's part. Once Killjoy is formerly introduced within the pages of Fawcett, he pretty much becomes theirs to own.

I'm sorry, I don't really follow, it becomes a poorly-spelled word salad at the end there. How did The Punisher's debut affect Killjoy? And are we saying that Ditko went back to Marvel to bring in The Punisher?

Also, this timeline is automatically worse for introducing The Punisher, in my opinion, one of the worst characters comic books ever created.

I'm sorry, I don't really follow, it becomes a poorly-spelled word salad at the end there. How did The Punisher's debut affect Killjoy? And are we saying that Ditko went back to Marvel to bring in The Punisher?
No Punisher was created to capitalize on the Grindhouse action movies at the time. Ditko just felt that it was suspicious that Atlas debuted their murderous vigilante in the comic he helped create. (Only Ditko thinks there's a connection)

So, usual objectivist stuff, huh? Not such a noble sacrifice after all. :p This is another reason why Steve and Jerry need to have a talk. J and Joe ''lost'' Superman to DC, and Steve truly believes that he lost Spider-Man to Marvel ''Unfairly'', so this could be a chance for the latter to finally get over himself.

PTVS was not Paramount's first attempt at launching a television network. The first attempt occurred in 1949 with the launch of the Paramount Television Network, which never extended beyond a few stations and folded after only a few years.
In 1974, Barry Diller started his tenure as the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Paramount Pictures Corporation. With Diller at the helm, the studio produced television programs with the plan of making their own network. Diller's work succeed with the formation of the Paramount Television Service or PTVS
In 1976 PTVS came on the air with the Happy Days Suto-spinoff Laverne & Shirley
hqdefault.jpg

later logo
ptvs logo.png

Last edited:
So if Diller starts Paramount does that mean there is no Fox network in ten years?

Here's hoping and even if it does, it'll probably be along the lines of UPN. Never the less, with Paramount releasing a challenge to the old guard of TV, you can bet more channels will be created in the coming years.

Here's hoping and even if it does, it'll probably be along the lines of UPN. Never the less, with Paramount releasing a challenge to the old guard of TV, you can bet more channels will be created in the coming years.

I know this is off the topic of comics, but I hope that with the PTN being successful and relegating any Fox network to UPN status, that Paramount doesn't bid for the NFL in 1992 and that the NFL is forced to give concessions to its media partners during the recession, meaning that it won't get the ginormous infusion of TV cash that led to it's becoming far to big for its britches.

PTVS was not Paramount's first attempt at launching a television network. The first attempt occurred in 1949 with the launch of the Paramount Television Network, which never extended beyond a few stations and folded after only a few years.
In 1974, Barry Diller started his tenure as the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Paramount Pictures Corporation. With Diller at the helm, the studio produced television programs with the plan of making their own network. Diller's work succeed with the formation of the Paramount Television Service or PTVS
In 1976 PTVS came on the air with the Happy Days Suto-spinoff Laverne & Shirley
View attachment 513122
later logo
View attachment 513194

Does Paramount have connections with any of the Comic Companies?
Does this Timeline have Star War and does Paramount create any programs that try to tap that market?
Does this Timeline have it version of Superman the Motion Picture? Does Paramount create any program that attempt to tap the Superhero Market?