Status
Not open for further replies.
A very good update. Loved the quote from Ferdinand's diary, it came out very natural and at the same time quite insightful.
I also see what you have done naming the new bullet "Verdi" :) ;)

A very good update. Loved the quote from Ferdinand's diary, it came out very natural and at the same time quite insightful.
I also see what you have done naming the new bullet "Verdi" :) ;)
Thank you very much! I am so happy you liked it. It would not have come out this way without your help, infos, suggestions, and brainstorming. To Lord Kalvan what's Lord Kalvan's. ;) I am also glad you liked the quote. I am trying to flesh my main characters as much as I can, especially the most allohistorical ones, such as Ferdinand and Maria Cristina. This story is meaning much to me in this particular moment, so I am trying to make is both realistic and "alive", somehow.

The next updates will follow a slightly different format. Each of them will cover approximately one month, with narrative interludes with different POVs, mainly Ferdinand, Charles Albert, Maria Cristina, and Cavour as a start; then also Garibaldi and Mazzini. I am unsure if they will be taken from an alt-historical novel or being introduced just because.

Thank you very much! I am so happy you liked it. It would not have come out this way without your help, infos, suggestions, and brainstorming. To Lord Kalvan what's Lord Kalvan's. ;) I am also glad you liked the quote. I am trying to flesh my main characters as much as I can, especially the most allohistorical ones, such as Ferdinand and Maria Cristina. This story is meaning much to me in this particular moment, so I am trying to make is both realistic and "alive", somehow.
I have to admit I was really impressed by the way you wrote: it went very smoothly
Ferdinand has been very lucky ITTL with two friends like Camillo and Albert, each one contributing to shape his character in different but equally necessary way (maybe Camillo has also contributed a drop of cynicism and another of hedonism, which OTL Ferdinand was lacking). I believe you have his character perfectly shaped.
However try not to go too much overboard with the rebellious streak of MC: she's still a princess, born in the 1820s

If you allow me a personal question, when you wrote "in this particular moment", did you refer to the Covid pandemic in Brazil? Apologies in advance for the intrusion in your private life

The next updates will follow a slightly different format. Each of them will cover approximately one month, with narrative interludes with different POVs, mainly Ferdinand, Charles Albert, Maria Cristina, and Cavour as a start; then also Garibaldi and Mazzini. I am unsure if they will be taken from an alt-historical novel or being introduced just because.
Follow your instinct, and don't curb your inspiration by adopting a strict format. Up to now you've done very well

I have to admit I was really impressed by the way you wrote: it went very smoothly
Ferdinand has been very lucky ITTL with two friends like Camillo and Albert, each one contributing to shape his character in different but equally necessary way (maybe Camillo has also contributed a drop of cynicism and another of hedonism, which OTL Ferdinand was lacking). I believe you have his character perfectly shaped.
However try not to go too much overboard with the rebellious streak of MC: she's still a princess, born in the 1820s

If you allow me a personal question, when you wrote "in this particular moment", did you refer to the Covid pandemic in Brazil? Apologies in advance for the intrusion in your private life
Thank you very much, that means a lot to me. Writing has always been an important part of my life, but which in the past years had become troublesome, evolving from an act which was almost as natural as breathing to a struggling, sometimes even physically painful experience. This is maybe my first "independent" project in years that I have some hope to take to its end. No need to apologize, I appreciate your concern. Yes, I was referring to the pandemic and its consequences. If you don't mind, I will stop with personal details here, but let's just say that FoI and this forum, in general, has become an integral part of my routine, and a very nice one at that.

Regarding MC: the shock of her new reality will reign in her instincts a lot. Her temper will show up occasionally (with some salacious quip in response to Ferdinand-of-only-one-Sicily, maybe) but on the whole, she will be rather queenly. Turns out she has in her more than most would say (or at least, this are my plans now).
Follow your instinct, and don't curb your inspiration by adopting a strict format. Up to now you've done very well
Thank you! You are right.

Yes, I was referring to the pandemic and its consequences. If you don't mind, I will stop with personal details here, but let's just say that FoI and this forum, in general, has become an integral part of my routine, and a very nice one at that.
I do apologize again for intruding in your personal life, it will not happen again.

I'm looking forward to seeing the story of the young queen of Sicily (or of the Sicilians? ;) ), I'm sure she will gain a well deserved place in the Pantheon of the Sicilian best monarchs. I do trust that her first son will be named Federico

I do apologize again for intruding in your personal life, it will not happen again.

I'm looking forward to seeing the story of the young queen of Sicily (or of the Sicilians? ;) ), I'm sure she will gain a well deserved place in the Pantheon of the Sicilian best monarchs. I do trust that her first son will be named Federico
Again, there is no need for an apology, I believe it was a fairly natural question to ask. It was no intrusion at all. :) Well since she will be chosen, she might well end up with this title. Let's see. For sure she will be fondly remembered to this day, deeply loved and revered by the population. She might well become "the Good Queen". Good call with Federico, I had not thought on sons/daughters yet. It is a definite possibility. A random question, would her dynasty become the House of Savoy-Orléans? Or Orléans-Savoy?

A random question, would her dynasty become the House of Savoy-Orléans? Or Orléans-Savoy?
Good question: I think it should be Orleans-Savoy, but I'm not sure of the rules for the son of a reigning queen and a prince consort in Sicily. I know that the sons of Queen Elizabeth have Mountbatten-Windsor as surname

Good question: I think it should be Orleans-Savoy, but I'm not sure of the rules for the son of a reigning queen and a prince consort in Sicily. I know that the sons of Queen Elizabeth have Mountbatten-Windsor as surname
I think I will go with Orleans-Savoy (although in Italian, "Savoia-Orleans" sounds slightly better), modeled on OTL Orleans-Bragança. IIRC the surname of Queen Elizabeth's children was polemic. Mountbatten-Windsor was a later compromise, I think. I believe there is almost an entire episode of "The Crown" on the matter.

I think I will go with Orleans-Savoy (although in Italian, "Savoia-Orleans" sounds slightly better), modeled on OTL Orleans-Bragança. IIRC the surname of Queen Elizabeth's children was polemic. Mountbatten-Windsor was a later compromise, I think. I believe there is almost an entire episode of "The Crown" on the matter.
But even Victoria's son had Saxe-Coburg- Gotha as surname

Nice story so far, I hope to see it grow a lot, because it has tons of potential.
Thank you very much! Glad you like it. Hope I will not disappoint you with the rest. I think I will have the first chapter regarding 1848 released soon; I do plan to make it grow. And if you have any further comments, suggestions, criticism, questions, please feel free!

But even Victoria's son had Saxe-Coburg- Gotha as surname
I was thinking about that, too. I will make some further research on the matter (and if anyone knowledgeable on the subject has any suggestion, I am all ears) but maybe we can find some in-story justification for the double surname. I do not see the Sicilians be particularly against having a House of Orléans-Sicily, which tbh has a nice ring to it. Maybe the changeto the double surname is made to ease the relationship with the French?

I was thinking about that, too. I will make some further research on the matter (and if anyone knowledgeable on the subject has any suggestion, I am all ears) but maybe we can find some in-story justification for the double surname. I do not see the Sicilians be particularly against having a House of Orléans-Sicily, which tbh has a nice ring to it. Maybe the changeto the double surname is made to ease the relationship with the French?
The French Republic would not like to see an Orleans on the throne of Sicily in the future. The best might be Savoy-Sicily, but I don't think it is possible. If you want a historical reference, the last heir of Este married a Habsburg archduke, and the house became known as Habsburg-Este.

The French Republic would not like to see an Orleans on the throne of Sicily in the future. The best might be Savoy-Sicily, but I don't think it is possible. If you want a historical reference, the last heir of Este married a Habsburg archduke, and the house became known as Habsburg-Este.
Yes, the more I think about it, the more I am convinced of Orléans-Savoy as the solution that works best for everybody in-universe.

I did check the 4 votes in the Conclave of 1846: Rizzi was never in the run, not in any one of them, and the main candidates were Lambruschini for the conservatives and Mastai Ferretti for the liberals. Now let's assume that von Gaisruck gets to Rome before the 4th vote, and presents the Austrian veto (incidentally, von Gaisruck took his own bloody time to travel from Milan to Rome, since the pope died on 20 May, and on 15 June he's not yet in Rome. This makes me think that the Austrian Regency Council was not particularly worried by the possible election of Mastai Ferretti, or at least that they were divided on the issue, since the veto might have been delivered by the Austrian ambassador in Rome, if von Gaisruck was too slow in arriving).
I just happened to stumble upon a detailed reconstruction of the reason of von Gaisruck's delay (source is Arrigo Petacco's "Il Regno del Nord") and I thought it was worth it to share it. Apparently, the wheels of the carriage he was traveling upon broke nearby Fidenza, and it took four days to repair. The author says that VG was not worried about the delay as he thought that the Conclave would go on and on as usual. Now, ITTL we are already past the election, but it would be nice to write a TL starting with the POD "His Eminency's wheels do not break". Wonder what would have happened with a Lambruschini Papacy, really. Funt thoughts.

I just happened to stumble upon a detailed reconstruction of the reason of von Gaisruck's delay (source is Arrigo Petacco's "Il Regno del Nord") and I thought it was worth it to share it. Apparently, the wheels of the carriage he was traveling upon broke nearby Fidenza, and it took four days to repair. The author says that VG was not worried about the delay as he thought that the Conclave would go on and on as usual. Now, ITTL we are already past the election, but it would be nice to write a TL starting with the POD "His Eminency's wheels do not break". Wonder what would have happened with a Lambruschini Papacy, really. Funt thoughts.
Maybe not so fun.
Lambruschini would die in 1854, so it would not be a long papacy in any case.
The insurrections of 1848 would hardly be affected by a conservative papacy, and its very likely that the Legations will erupt into insurrection once the news of the insurrection of Milan arrives. There might be an early insurrection in Rome too, the result of which might be hard to assess.

The big question is what would Ferdinand of Two Sicilies, Leopold of Tuscany and the Piedmontese Hamlet will do.
My guess (but I may be very wrong) is that in the end and after much hand-wringing CA will still mobilize, grant a Statute and enter Lombardy: Milan is worth putting a thumb in the eye of the pope.

Maybe not so fun.
Lambruschini would die in 1854, so it would not be a long papacy in any case.
The insurrections of 1848 would hardly be affected by a conservative papacy, and its very likely that the Legations will erupt into insurrection once the news of the insurrection of Milan arrives. There might be an early insurrection in Rome too, the result of which might be hard to assess.

The big question is what would Ferdinand of Two Sicilies, Leopold of Tuscany and the Piedmontese Hamlet will do.
My guess (but I may be very wrong) is that in the end and after much hand-wringing CA will still mobilize, grant a Statute and enter Lombardy: Milan is worth putting a thumb in the eye of the pope.
I would say that the local insurrections stay "local" unless something else happens to stir pan-Italian sentiments. Some say that Ferdinand was the first to grant the Consitution even to spite the Pope and its project of the Italic League, along with Charles Albert. The situation in Rome might get really explosive, and if the riots are successful, an early and pretty radical Roman Republic might emerge (and prove unsuccessful). Regarding CA, I agree; he wished to expand his kingdom, and this was his occasion. He might content himself with Lombardy, though, leaving Veneto to its fate.

Don't get sidetracked, friend. A Lambruschini papacy is a project for tomorrow, or maybe next months.
You've a different (and probably more gratifying) TL to take care of

Status
Not open for further replies.