Fatherland HBO Movie

The Fatherland HBO Movie of Robert Harris novel, has bin ever released on DVD?, if not then when will it be?.

Also the Movie itself is quite different then the novel, the movie version wasn't a faithful version of the novel on screen.

LW

It's good it has a English version of it on the DVD, Robert Harris stated in 2012 that it was a bad movie of his book,

LW

Deleted member 2186

It's good it has a English version of it on the DVD, Robert Harris stated in 2012 that it was a bad movie of his book,

LW
I agree with Robert Harris, the only nice thing i find from the movie is seeing this

1d98930e3ac7e6203967fc4c5c5e508c--nazism-art-albert-speer.jpg

Well the person who posted the German Amazon listing of Fatherland DVD, I figure out the price in Canadian?,

Bin trying to find DVD here on Amazon.com, ca, or uk

LW

BBC's video adaptation, kull wahad

Edit: I am so stoopid. This is the HBO item, see in spoiler thing,

I plan to watch soon...

Last edited:
I found it kind of "meh." Some of the looks at how a post-WWII-stalemate Nazi regime might behave were interesting, but it was structured partly as a whodunit with the Holocaust being the solution to the "mystery," and most viewers could have guessed that from the very beginning. I'd have liked to see what actually happens after the American President cancels his meeting with Hitler at the last minute.

While the movie is meh as an adaptation, I saw it years before ever reading the book, so long ago in fact that I had to sneak past my parent's bedroom to do it late one saturday evening. It creeped me out as fuck even then, more than any slasher flick. Like it's what got me into alternate history as much as British Warfilms.

EDIT: IT has plenty of eye-rolling stuff, such as the TOTALLY NOT Beatles, but other than that, the production values are fairly good for that sort of thing, especially a TV budget even if it's HBO. Hell, they used 60s vintage vehicles throughout, and as unworkable most of Germania would be IRL as Berlin literally stands on sand, it was very believable.

Re-watched the first 20 minutes or so on the Tube. Excuse me while I watch my favourite scenes from Battle of Britain to wash off the stain.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2186

While the movie is meh as an adaptation, I saw it years before ever reading the book, so long ago in fact that I had to sneak past my parent's bedroom to do it late one saturday evening. It creeped me out as fuck even then, more than any slasher flick. Like it's what got me into alternate history as much as British Warfilms.

EDIT: IT has plenty of eye-rolling stuff, such as the TOTALLY NOT Beatles, but other than that, the production values are fairly good for that sort of thing, especially a TV budget even if it's HBO. Hell, they used 60s vintage vehicles throughout, and as unworkable most of Germania would be IRL as Berlin literally stands on sand, it was very believable.

Re-watched the first 20 minutes or so on the Tube. Excuse me while I watch my favourite scenes from Battle of Britain to wash off the stain.
As i understand the movie and the novel difference in how the Germans mange to keep control of Europe, in the film there is only explicit point of departure: the failure of Operation Overlord. The book has several points of departure: Heydrich's survival; greater German success against the Soviet Union in the 1942 campaign; German development of nuclear technology; awareness of British code-breaking.

Which still would only extend the war for as long as it takes to modify British airfields for the B-29s of the 509th Composite Group.

I've been to the cellar (and yes, a singular cellar) where the primary German nuclear project was housed. It's about twice as deep as your average car garage, half again as wide and was made from a wine cellar. Sorry if I don't believe that the Nazis could've developed Nukes before the mid 50s at best.

I think it wasn't that the Germans got the bomb first, but they detonated a V_ missile off the East Coast and showed they had the capability to hit the USA. All together, the PODs are a bit sketchy, but the book is so good it doesn't matter to me.