Fast Food Chains in Alternate Timelines

While there was a Burger Queen in OTL it changed its name and only one remains, but could it have done better? What might be the strongest fast food chain in a surviving Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere or in a united Scandinavian Hegemony? What is their best selling item or claim to fame in each case?

hammo1j

Donor
Wendy was probably the best burger IMHO, but the best dont always win. Ironically they are making a comeback to the UK.

Always liked the Whammyburger in Falling Down too...

There's a quote from Colonel Harland Sanders "This ain't no goddamn Tennessee Fried Chicken, no matter what some slick, silk-suited son-of-a-bitch says" referring to his chain being owned by a businessman from Tennessee where it was headquartered for a time. I've always thought there's some interesting cultural PODs regarding that, especially since Colonel Sanders himself had some links to Tennessee. Maybe corporate decides linking the franchise to Tennessee is the right idea (same connotations of Southern hospitality, fried food, etc.) and an alternate Colonel Sanders agrees (even OTL he complained about their decisions, maybe he wants to separate himself even more). "TFC" seems like a fake brand on the lines of WcDonalds you could put into a TV show or video game which would have surprising basis in fact.

It'd be interesting to see a timeline where an alternate burger/fries chain like Burger King dominates the United States (and the world?) with McDonalds, having broken free from Ray Kroc over disputes, becoming a California staple.

There was a thread a year or two ago where Hitler opened a Schnitzel house, it was hilarious, but I couldn't find it.

What foods would British/French/German fast food chains serve?
In a no-world-wars or CP-victory scenario, German-themed fast-food may be more prominent in the US, given the large amount of German and German-ancestry population.... I personally wouldn't mind a greater variety of "sausage dogs" :)
Also a cold beer at fast food places would be a nice touch :p

327px-Burger_Chef_Logo.svg.png

Burger Chef, the biggest fast food chain in the World !

Founded in 1954 in Indianapolis, Indiana,
1973 the fast food chain, rival with McDonald's about who is biggest in USA.
Then happen the Funmeal vs HappyMeal conflict,
Burger Chef invented the Funburger for kid and offer with Toy in nice package with fries, drink and dessert, as the Funmeal.
McDonald's shameless copy the trademark Funmeal as HappyMeal !
Next resulting Law Suits, happen merciless bidder war to get franchise toys.
1977 Burger Chef won in court and Franchise toys, by get licence from George Lucas Star Wars,
while McDonald's was forced to pay millions on compensation to Burger Chef
and discard million of Toy in landfill at Alamogordo, New Mexico.
But those Close Encounters of the Third Kind toy would have not be successful, do Star Wars Hype that brought billions for Burger Chief.
McDonald's never fully recover and start to close restaurants in US and Oversea to cover the losses.
Ironic Burger Chef simply purchase those close Restaurants and reopen cheaply, pushing McDonald's deeper into difficulties.
Then happen several shootout in McDonald's, follow by San Ysidro McDonald's massacre were 21 people were killed.
consider now unsafe the the customers went to competition like Burger Chef
In 1984 McDonald's was purchased by the Canadian company Imasco, converted all US McDonalds's to Hardee's restaurants until 1986.
Imasco sold the worldwide remaining McDonald's to Burger Chef for bargain price.
1990 Open Burger Chef it first restaurant in Moscow, USSR
in 2010 Was Burger Chef surpass by SUBWAY as the largest single-brand restaurant chain in World,
but became again number one after SUBWAY went bankrupt in 2018, because expanding too fast and reducing there food quality .

Companies Own by Burger Chef:
Burger King (and it subdivision "Hungry Jack's" in Australia)
Quick (Belgium fast food chain, very popular in Belgium, Luxembourg, France and it overseas departments)
Wimpy (South Africa )

Last edited:
I feel like if loose meat sandwiches caught on outside of Iowa, Maid Rite might be a big regional chain. As of now they are all related but independent and all have their own recipes.

Also, and this is horrible, but could the racist named Coon Chicken Inn survive if they somehow changed their name or branding back in the 30s or whenever they went out of business? Heck even in the 70s Sambos was still around. I think the last one in California didn’t even close until a few years ago.

Otherwise I can’t think of any.

Hungry Hungry Hippo all you can eat buffet. Get yourself a fillin' ta' remember. Hot cakes with sausage, bacon, eggs, and grits. Hot coffee on the side. Mmm be a hippo junior. Keep smiling. Its blueberry good. Get your membership card and get a super duper deluxe meal. All you can eat!!! Super specials for the whole family.

This is a spinoff from a toy. Hopefully this is parody.

Last edited:
Could Carrols have survived the competition from Burger King and McDonald's somehow? I happen to have a certain affinity for the brand, as it was in Finland that it drew its last breath.

Also, another idea I suddenly had: Nabisco (of Oreo fame) opening a fast food chain of some sort... maybe waffles? Ice cream? Hot chocolate?

There was a thread a year or two ago where Hitler opened a Schnitzel house, it was hilarious, but I couldn't find it.
Yes, all made possible by Himmler's new techniques for industrial scale (poultry) slaughter. Top tier thread, shame it seems to have been disappeared.

edit: found it

Last edited:
Yes, all made possible by Himmler's new techniques for industrial scale (poultry) slaughter. Top tier thread, shame it seems to have been disappeared.
Not to forget the toys animals they gifted, like the panter and the tiger, and the wonder about the extremely oversized rat and the faulty elefant. And of course Rommels troubles with opening a branch in Africa.

Hungry Hungry Hippo all you can eat buffet. Get yourself a fillin' ta' remember. Hot cakes with sausage, bacon, eggs, and grits. Hot coffee on the side. Mmm be a hippo junior. Keep smiling. Its blueberry good. Get your membership card and get a super duper deluxe meal. All you can eat!!! Super specials for the whole family.
But is it made from real hippo? :)

Would've been much better if Himmler had remained a poultry farmer.... I can see a TL where "Henry Fowler's Fried Chicken" goes worldwide, but later runs into issues due to their early use of genetically-modified meat..... :confounded: