Fantasque Time Line (France Fights On) - English Translation

Status
Not open for further replies.
December 13th, 1942

Operation Uranus (against the 2. PanzerArmee)

The failure of Wintergewitter is obvious and Uranus can continue. The stranglehold is tightening around the Tarachtcha pocket. Its transport formations decimated and exhausted, the Luftwaffe again suspends the aerial supply of the seven encircled divisions, in spite of the protests of von Wietersheim.

December 13th, 1942

Vatican
- Once again, the Papal Mass is the occasion for demonstrations in favor of peace. The slogan "Pace Subito" is widely taken up by the crowd, and even by some of the
soldiers attending the service in St. Peter's Square.
Similar demonstrations tae place in Milan, Turin, Bologna, Brescia and Genoa.

Rome, 14:00 - General Carboni asks to see Badoglio. He warns him of the growing risk of a preventive operation of the German forces aiming to ensure, even before the announcement of the armistice, to secure the person of the King and the government.
17:00 - General Carboni meets again with Ambrosio, this time to propose him toarrest preventively prince Junio Valerio Borghese. After having considered it, Ambrosio renounces it, considering the popularity of the Prince, but also the fact that it would be impossible to proceed to this arrest discreetly and that it would mean to face, probably in a violent way, the men of the Xa MAS.

Italian cities - American and French bombers hit Pescara and Eboli, while British bombers attack Reggio Calabria. The bombing of Pescara is fatal for the auxiliary cruiser Brioni (D.13) and the minelayer Unie (ex-Yugoslav Kobac), as well as the cargo ship Paolina (4,894 GRT).

December 14th, 1942

Switzerland and Spain
- While Germany is stalling in Ukraine and the situation in Italy seems most elusive since the loss of Sicily and the dismissal of the Duce, Juan de Borbon sends a telegram to Francisco Franco asking him "to prepare a rapid transition to a monarchy before the Allied victory, as the present provisional regime exposes Spain to grave dangers. There is no time to lose, the present situation in Italy is there to remind us of it."
Quite irritated by the insistence of the Count of Barcelona, Franco replies the same day. First he tells him that his regime is not so provisional and that it is up to him to decide when the country would be able to welcome a king. He then softens (but hardly) this first remark by speaking of the eternal peril of Communism, "the real danger in Europe, it cannot be disarmed with compromises and concessions. Those who say otherwise will fail."
But the Caudillo is worried both about the monarchists' inclinations in Spain itself, about the announcement of the losses of the Azul Division (the death in combat of General Muñoz-Grande, one of the most talented Phalangist officers, did not help matters), and the strategic evolution in the Mediterranean. He therefore decides to conclude his message as follows: "The seriousness of your telegram leads me to recommend to you, for the service of the fatherland, the greatest discretion, avoiding any act or demonstration that might harm the prestige and authority of the Spanish regime abroad, as well as to the unity of the Spaniards within the country, which would not fail to cause serious damage to the monarchy and in particularly to Your Highness."
Dialogue of the deaf? Hidden threats? Sharpening of weapons? Worse than enemies, competitors... Don Juan and the Caudillo begin a more offensive phase of their relationship.

December 14th, 1942

Norfolk, Virginia
- It's about 10 a.m. when a Navy GMC bus painted haze grey, which has already been driving for some time on Route 17, crosses the James River Bridge towards the imposing Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry-Docks complex. From the bridge, the dry cold that reigns this morning offers an excellent view of the shipyards, holds and docks afloat. The cranes and gantries form a forest of steel on which stand out several silhouettes of flat tops in completion.
A growing emotion takes hold of the occupants of the bus when it finally enters the construction site, at the corner of 50th Street and Washington Avenue. The twenty or so passengers, officers of the French Navy, make up most of the future staff of the Jean-Bart (still its official name). Among them, Lieutenant Yvon Lagadec, a hero of the Aéronavale, cannot stand still. He whistles of admiration (a bad habit acquired through contact with American sailors) in front of blocks of sheet metal waiting to be assembled, which he describes as an island, a sponson or any other metallic structure typical of aircraft carriers and which does not really provoke the admiration of his colleagues. Lagadec's agitation, however, reaches the whole group when the vehicle goes along an armament hold where several large ships are lined up at various stages of completion. The calm returns quickly when the bus forks behind a long wooden building to finally stop.
As they disembark, the officers are greeted by a picket of honor of a few sailors and petty officers proudly displaying the Jean-Bart ribbon on their tarpaulins. An officer wearing only six buttons on his jacket and whose four braids are trimmed with black velvet invites them to enter the building and leads them to a veranda that serves as a lounge. There is unlimited coffee and donuts.
- Gentlemen, I welcome you to Count de Grasse Barracks, this will be your home until you take possession of your quarters on board. You will note that the Navy has been imaginative in naming this place, its name is indeed a change from the Lafayette Barracks in which our compatriots are generally lodged everywhere in this country!
The assembly laughs and the speaker continues: "I would like to introduce myself: I am the marine engineer Louis de Kerdonval, seconded by the naval staff to the U.S. Navy's Bureau of Ships, usually referred to as "Buships". I am in charge of supervising the repair, modernization and sometimes the transformation of ships that France sends to the American shipyards. Last September, I left the Marseillaise, a light cruiser converted into an anti-aircraft ship, to participate in the re-commissioning of the Jean-Bart after a much more thorough conversion. For the moment, my mission is more difficult, it is indeed to honor you with an aircraft carrier and I expect to be savagely assaulted by deadly questions of a caliber worthy of a ship of the line!"
More laughter. Around the mugs of hot coffee, the newcomers quickly get to know the officersalready present during the conversion work, especially the chafustards (mechanics, in Ecole Navale slang), including mechanical engineer first class Charles de Kerdonval. This one is more specifically in charge of the department in charge of elevators, workshops, catapults, refueling, etc.
- You have at least managed to turn a ship of the line into a family business!" exclaimed Lagadec when he learned that the IM1 is the younger brother of the IGM.
- My dear Lagadec," replies Louis with a smile on his face, "we are going to turn this family business into a Breton business, because you are going to join us! Your experience with the large American aircraft carriers will be invaluable to us in validating the environment of your future mounts... and the penguins who will ride them!
Through the small pane windows of the Newport-style veranda, the only touch of luxury in the austere Comte de Grasse barracks, the newcomers comment on the spectacle that the building site offers them: an ex-ship of the line that has managed to retain a certain elegance despite its new superstructures between two monsters with more than simplistic shapes...
The Jean-Bart between two Essex class aircraft carriers.
- It looks very small, our proud ship, between these two huge ships!" observes Lagadec.
- A beautiful series of washboats in any case!" says a lieutenant of a gunnery vessel, a specialty not known for the finesse of its language.
- The first of the series, as you say, was the Essex," replies Louis. "He has just been admitted to active service and left us last week. This one on the right is the Bonhomme Richard, it will be launched in about ten days to be operational at about the same time as you, next April, probably with a different name because the Navy has decided to resurrect the ships that were sunk, so it could be called the Ranger* - I witnessed the terrible end of the previous ship of the same name on the Marseillaise in the Mediterranean. Over there on the left is the Intrepid, scheduled to be launched in April.
In the hold at the back, it is the Kearsage, which is in the assembly phase, while the first sheet of the Franklin was installed two weeks ago.

The gunner counts on his fingers: "Five! Tell me, are these squadron carriers or buns?"
- Oh, but there are also those under construction at Fore River in Quincy, Massachusetts: the Cabot will join the fleet in February and the Bunker Hill in May. And the Oriskany and the Ticonderoga are growing on the same slipways. You see Captain, next summer, six new aircraft carriers, including yours, will be on the verge of taking the offensive. And many more of these washboats are under construction.
Louis de Kerdonval then invites the audience to go to the meeting room, or rather to a room that serves as a meeting room. The partitions are covered with diagrams and plans, and a few naval officers bent over drawing tables are rambling on about their piping books or their electrical diagrams to be ready to carry out the tests of their respective installations. In a corner of the room, on a draftsman's stool, sits a small a small Christmas tree decorated with strips of tracing paper and perforated ribbons of tinsel. The group of officers gathers around Louis in front of a diagram on a blackboard.
- This is the GA of the Jean-Bart after conversion - the GA is the general arrangement, the plan d'ensemble in the language of Molière, but here the anglicisms are de rigueur as the Lucky Strike replaces the Gauloise or the donut the croissant - I avoid of course mentioning the case of coffee [rumors of sorry approval from the audience]. This GA was established in conjunction with the Buships, who were working on a preliminary study to convert one of the future Iowa-class battleships into an aircraft carrier in the unlikely event that the Essex class would not be satisfactory**. This project is currently dormant, but it could eventually be reactivated to give birth to a small series of heavy protected aircraft carriers, the Great Lakes class. The study was completed last June, but our work has benefited greatly from it.
After a brief history of the study and work, the engineer begins a detailed description:
"You noticed earlier that the Jean-Bart looked smaller than an Essex and that is the reality. She is about 20 meters shorter and, above all, she is much lower on the water because of its battleship hull. From its design as a ship of the line, it has also retained the structural protection.
Unfortunately, its capacity to carry aircraft inside the hangar is reduced to about forty aircraft because of the thinness of its bow, which did not allow to extend the hangar sufficiently towards the front. But to optimize the useful width of the hangar, numerous corbels were created on the outside of the planks, thanks to the great reserve of stability of the ship. In the same way, the important offset of the island on starboard was made possible by the use of the anti-torpedo cofferdams on the port side as righting ballasts.
The use of numerous sponsons facilitated the installation of a very powerful main artillery: no less than eight double 127 mm turrets were added to the two turrets framing the island, for a total of twenty 5-inch cannon. Gentlemen of the gunners, you will have in your hands the firepower of an anti-aircraft cruiser with contest*** weapons directed by four Mk 37 telepointers.
This main artillery is complemented by ten quadruple 40 mm Bofors guns and fifty-six 20 mm Œrlikon pieces, distributed along the flight deck.
The radar operators have not been forgotten. They will have at their disposal two type SG surface surveillance radars and two air surveillance radars, one type SK and one type SC, all coupled with a type SP altimetry radar. This will make the work of the fighter director much easier!
"
Louis de Kerdonval continues his presentation, pointing to the elements described on the diagram with a billiard cue. He then gives the floor to the audience and many questions are asked, everyone wants more details on the equipment for which they will soon be responsible.
To answer the most doubtful, perfectionists or permanent dissatisfied, who by tradition are numerous among the officers of the "great corps", the engineer specifies the particularly constrained framework in which the program was carried out: "Do not forget, gentlemen that the creation of a combat ship, whatever it may be, is a sum of compromises.
This conversion is no exception to the rule, especially since we are at war and we have to move quickly. You will therefore find a number of imperfections on board and you will surely think about possible improvements, but first of all you should know that what you are about to discover represents a colossal amount of work and reflection on the part of courageous and motivated Franco-American teams! Imagine the state of the ship when it arrived here!
"
Somewhat theatrically, Kerdonval unveils a panel bearing two silhouettes, that of the Jean-Bart in 1940 and the aircraft carrier Jean-Bart. He continues: "The beginnings were difficult! We had to level off everything that protruded from the main deck, a huge task because this operation concerned the top of the turret wells and their armor, as well as the fire direction tower, which was also armored. Fortunately, the shipyard agreed to recover the mast and reuse it on the island, which gives the building a very recognizable look.
- It is indeed very successful, bravo!
" exclaims a radar officer, under the spell (and delighted by the large number of his future toys).
- What is under the main deck is not bad either," continues the engineer. We have adapted the turret wells and ammunition bunkers below to accommodate aviation fuel tanks and bunkers for specific munitions, such as bombs and torpedoes. Thus all these highly dangerous ingredients benefit from the original armor.
- Clever," smiles the future head of safety on board.
- We have hardly touched the propulsion system", Kerdonval continues. "The mechanics will find the "mine" as it was, except for the boiler ducts, which have been moved to starboard to better connect to the island. This explains the position of the latter, a little further aft than on an Essex, to gain in simplicity. In any case, my little brother here, proud and sensitive like all mechanical engineers, would not have let me trash his domain!
After a few bursts of laughter and jibes at the mechanics, he continues: "As for the aeronautical part, we didn't really have a choice. The Americans, pragmatically, told us: we'll provide you with a hangar and a complete Essex deck, you can use it, adapt it and give us back the unused parts!
- If there's a slice left, I'll take it!
" laughs Lagadec.
- Sorry," replies Louis with a smile, "they got everything back, even the paint cans! But our friends being the kings of the construction in series, you will notice many similarities with an Essex class: elevators, cranes, catapults, scuttle shutters, freight elevators, ammunition lifts, ventilations, fire curtains etc. It was the same for the navigation and transmission equipment, optical equipment, fire safety systems and many other elements. Made in the USA reigns above the main deck, for better or for worse. Either way, you'll find out what the standard means!
As it is getting late, Louis de Kerdonval concludes his presentation and invites his audience to convene the next morning for an in situ discovery of the ship under construction. The officers newly assigned to the Jean-Bart board the Navy bus that takes them to Hilton Village, northwest of the shipyard. There, they settle in small groups in some of the five hundred "English cottages" for the shipyard employees.

* NDE - In fact, the Bonhomme Richard will be renamed Yorktown. The Kearsage will be the Ranger, while the Cabot will be the Lexington, the Oriskany the Wasp and the Randolph the Saratoga.
** The plan of this study can be consulted at the US Navy's Naval Historical Center.
*** Coming to the ears of a famous dialogue writer through mysterious channels, this sentence will be taken up and adapted as part of a now mythical detective film...

December 14th, 1942

Mechelen
- Cardinal Van Roey receives François Dekinder - "Xavier" - in his small office of the archbishopric. The special envoy of the Belgian government gives the cardinal a letter from Prime Minister Pierlot, asking him to mediate in order to send the King the letter of the Government.
- Mr. Dekinder, as a patriot and a man of the cloth, I can only support every step to reconcile His Majesty the King with the Ministers in London. For, in spite of the conciliatory statements of Mr. Pierlot on the London radio, the present situation creates confusion in the minds of the population. If it persisted, it could only complicate the re-establishment of the normal course of our institutions for the liberation of the country, that we all hope will come as soon as possible.
- Unfortunately, I can only agree with Your Eminence. I must add that this quarrel is deflecting the Government from our Allies, even though Belgium's military effort is the most important of all the... less great powers. And our soldiers cannot suffer the slightest doubt as to the support given to them by the King while they risk their lives for the fatherland in Italy, in Great Britain and even in Asia, on land, at sea and in the air. Even if the feeling of loyalty to the dynasty and to our monarch remains very strong in the army, some people, especially on the Walloon side, ask themselves many questions about the attitude of His Majesty.
- Yes, the information which returns to me evokes a similar state of mind in certain Walloon cities, especially Liège and Charleroi. Some flocks are less docile and their sheep less attentive to their shepherds... You are right, this quarrel must end. Everyone has sinned in this affair, by pride or by ignorance. We must unite our forces to definitively defeat the evil that has fallen upon Europe. If I understand correctly, you would like me to deliver a message from the Government to the King?
- I have here a photographic proof of the letter, signed by all the members of the Government. It should be delivered personally to the King. The purpose of the process is above all to allow a smooth constitutional transition when the day comes. I am, however, authorized to add that if His Majesty agrees with the respectful advice thus received from His Ministers, the Government is anxious to obtain the support of our Allies to attempt an escape.
- An escape!
- Yes, Your Eminence... If, of course, His Majesty considers such an operation opportune.

The cardinal takes note of the document that Dekinder hands him. He frowns more and more as he reads it...
- Well, what a text! One cannot certainly reproach the Ministers for lacking frankness.
However, these gentlemen from London would have made our task easier if certain things were expressed in a more nuanced way, in a less imperative tone. It is not a problem that the King must condemn the Collaboration and approve the continuation of the war in spite of the capitulation of May 28th, 1940. One can even, by forcing the optimism, imagine that He accepts retrospectively the actions of the Ministers in the conduct of the war. And you can reassure them that the King does intend to protest against compulsory labor in Germany. But to question the personalities of his entourage by accusing them of sympathy for Germany, is that very clever? Moreover, I fear that the absence of any kind of regret for certain statements of May-June 1940 will not help us.
- Monseigneur, you know my brother-in-law. He is integrity itself, but he lacks that roundness which facilitates human relations. He always acted in the higher interest of the Nation, and the events are in the process of giving reason to the choices that he has posed.
- Certainly, certainly. Nevertheless, something must be done. It is planned that I will go to Laeken on Christmas Day, and I will take advantage of this to carry out the approach that you are asking me to make. You however, allow me to use my own words to approach the King, without immediately referring to this document. We must proceed in small steps if we are to succeed.
- As Your Eminence will see it, you are a better judge of the King's character than I am. But I must add that the Government expects His Majesty to take an unequivocal stand on the pointss mentioned in the letter.
- That's understood
," sighs the Cardinal.
As he is about to leave, Dekinder turns around abruptly, as if he had forgotten something. He reaches into his jacket pocket and pulls out, after some tugging, an envelope carefully hidden in a lining and on which a childish hand had written: "For Papa". He hands it wordlessly to the cardinal, who nods and answers simply: "I see... I'll take care of it too."

December 14th, 1942

Buna Region - Battle of the Triangle

During the night of the 13th to the 14th, the 3rd Battalion captures the village of Siwori, on the west bank of the Girua River. The Japanese resistance is moderate. This small victory is a real success: the capture of Siwori cuts off the overland link between Buna on the one hand, and Sanananda and Gona on the other.

Milne Bay - The Reconquest
Energetic Allied attacks force the Japanese rearguards to retreat, while small Allied boats and captured ships carry fresh troops and supplies across Milne Bay to Watunou. It turns out that there are no more Japanese in that area: they have retreated eastward. The AMF pursues them with care, to avoid ambushes.

December 14th, 1942

Guadalcanal
- For the first time in his life, Captain Onishi doubts Japan's victory. The fleeting thought dissipates almost immediately, but Onishi knows that even asking the question is being guilty and will forever leave an indelible mark on him, a shameful stain that his enemies will not fail to spot and turn against him. With a heavy heart, he closes his eyes and addresses a silent prayer to the Emperor, begging him to forgive his servant this brief moment of error. Then he looks around him, and feels his resolve waver a second time.
Heading for the Seahorse, Onishi thought he was joining a unit of the Imperial Army.
But as soon as he arrived, he realized that he had led his men into the middle of mostly sick soldiers from decimated units, broken by repeated failures and commanded by a management that lives in the crazy hope of an impossible relief. The positions are poorly organized, the men occupying them are more nervous than rigorous, and discipline is non-existent - for the Japanese, that is.
Although he had arrived several days earlier, Onishi still had not been received by the commander of the position. This rudeness annoyed him at first, but he soon realized that no one is really in command on the Seahorse: the men of the Oka detachment or the survivors of the 2nd ID only follow their orders from their direct commanders and the latter hardly feel the need to consult each other; each one goes about his business and only asks one thing of their colleagues: peace and quiet. Onishi's unexpected arrival raised a lot of simple questions: who should receive the newcomer, who should have authority over him, who should arm and feed his skeletal detachment and who would be responsible for his actions! In the end, the various parties agreed to... decide nothing. We found (not without difficulty) some ammunition (a little) and food (very little) for Onishi's men, they were willingly given a place in the front line and delegated an officer who must have displeased his superiors to explain to the captain that he had better not ask for more!
Any demands on his part could upset the hard-won balance between the various units that hold the Seahorse together thanks to a thousand little compromises with the regulations...
It is this officer that Onishi has in front of him: a commander who has mumbled his name while doing his best to remain incomprehensible. The tent under which they are sitting is a few meters from the latrines and the stench that (not to mention the noises that leave little to the imagination) almost make Onishi vomit the bad rice he has been eating for four days. Concerned about his dignity, the best officer in his division calms his stomach by sheer force of will, while keeping a permanent smile and the smiling, dignified manners of a true Japanese officer. But deep inside, he is furious at the calculated insult he has received: this commander without a battalion is not only rude enough not to receive him two steps away from a hole full of shit, but he pushes the provocation to the point of presenting himself with a beard of several days! So Onishi listens with one ear to his superior's speech and his warnings about the subtle arrangements between units and officers. The only thing he remembers is that none of the Seahorse officers agreed to take him under their command! This obviously means that they despise him deeply, probably because he, Onishi, has risen from the ranks by his own strength!
At the end of this ordeal, Onishi bows with the prescribed stiffness and returns to his quarters to find the twenty or so men who are now part of his detachment. After all, every cloud has a silver lining: if no one is really in charge here, that means that he is free to behave as he wishes! In these conditions, he will be able to show the officers of the Seahorse what an officer of His Imperial Majesty is capable of.

December 14th, 1942

Operation Mars (against the 1st PanzerArmee)
Rastenburg
- The FHO gives a report to the OKH on the possibilities of action of the Soviet forces against the Chernigov-Nijyne salient. According to him, the Soviet forces are exhausted and deprived of supplies. It seems unlikely to launch a new offensive effort by early summer.
Informed, Guderian again calls for reinforcements, claiming that a few divisions would enable him to regain all the lost ground. But von Weichs is once again opposed to this, on the grounds that the lines of communication linking AG Centre to the salient are already very clogged and are disrupted daily by partisan attacks.
At the head of the Desna Front, Konev gathers his army chiefs in Bakhmash and notes with them the state of exhaustion of his forces. After several hours of meeting, the decision is taken to dig in and to mobilize the rear services and the liberated civilians to repair the lines of communication and replenish supplies.
In the south, Lopatin is the last Soviet leader to obtain a halt to operations. His 3rd Ukrainian Front is given the task of defending the reconquered railroad line to Kiev, while maintaining a constant pressure on the German forces holding the southern end of the salient, around Pyryatyne.

6428 - End of Operation Wintergewitter
December 14th, 1942

Operation Wintergewitter (to clear the 2. PanzerArmee)

The front stabilizes between Djerzhinsk and Vinnytsa, passing through Chudniv and Berdychiv. The four localities are solidly in German hands, but this hardly compensates for the losses.
Fighting continues between Vinnytsa and Nemyriv. The Soviet forces, for a moment destabilized by the desperate attack of KG Heim, let part of the 11. Panzer and the SS Wiking through. But the Don Corps turns against KG Heim, running out of gas and ammunition, and crushes it.

December 14th, 1942

Rastenburg
- In the afternoon, Hitler receives a personal message from Antonescu, the Romanian Prime Minister, who objects to the disengagement of the southern flank, arguing that Romanian intelligence had precise indications of concentrations of Soviet forces. This message is read with great scepticism in OKH, where it is felt that the Soviet forces are exhausted by the repeated fighting around Kiev. However, more because of lack of transport than to satisfy the Romanians, Hitler agrees to leave the XLII. ArmeeKorps of von Sponeck in the sector of the 11th Army.
In reality, German intelligence continues to seriously underestimate the Soviet Union's force generation capabilities.
Specifically, from October 25th to December 15th 1942, Soviet factories delivered to the RKKA about 3,000 tanks: 485 KV-1 (including 185 KV-85 and 250 KV-1D), 750 T-50 and...1,800 T-34, plus a thousand self-propelled guns (100 SU-122, 350 SU-57, 430 SU-45 and 120 SU-76). In addition, 1,200 less efficient tanks (700 T-26 and 500 BT-5/BT-7) were drawn from the large stocks accumulated at the end of the 1930s.

December 14th, 1942

Rome
- Accompanied by Ambrosio, Badoglio goes to the King's house, Villa Savoia. Both of them inform Victor-Emmanuel of the German threats and of the possibility of obtaining from the Allies immediate assistance to Rome.
After the meeting, Ambrosio meets with the Regia Aeronautica staff. Everyone agrees to preserve as much of the available air force as possible. But in the evening, Rahn, the German ambassador, sends a strong protest about the lack of air defence over the region of Ancona and Pescara. He accompanies this protest with the threat that the German troops would take control of the airfields in the area of Rome to allow the fighters of the Xth FK to deploy there.

Tunis - A new staff meeting finalizes the landing in the Salerno area, codenamed Avalanche. The date chosen is either the 23rd or the 25th of December.
Winston Churchill is touring the region to encourage the troops of the Commonwealth, a meeting is organized around him and Paul Reynaud at the end of the day.
Reynaud invites (but only to the dinner following the working session) the American Ambassador Anthony Biddle. The British Prime Minister enthusiastically pleads for a massive intervention in Italy, supported by the President of the Council. Biddle, like a good diplomat is more nuanced, while expressing Washington's views: no doubt, politically, it was necessary to support Italy's change of sides by deploying allied troops in the peninsula, but this should not be to the detriment of actions planned elsewhere. Nevertheless, he points out (certainly expressing President Roosevelt's views on this point) that it would be natural that such an operation should finally give a leading role to an American general: are the United States not, obviously, the interlocutor of choice for the Italians and their participation in the operation is to be very strong?

December 14th, 1942

Off the coast of Bône
- The Italian submarine Mocenigo (LV Alberto Longhi) spots the light cruiser HMS Argonaut and its escort. Boldly going on the attack, Commander Longhi launches a barrage of four torpedoes, two of which hit the cruiser in the bow and stern.
Severely damaged but with its engines intact, the Argonaut survives: after temporary repairs in Gibraltar, in April 1943 she is sent to the Philadelphia shipyards for her final refit, which is completed at the end of November 1943.

December 15th, 1942

Norfolk, Virginia
- Back to the yard on this chilly morning. At the Comte de Grasse Barracks, everyone is wearing a herringbone cotton jumpsuit and a hard hat.
Thus equipped, everyone is impatient to finally set foot aboard their future building.
Divided into groups of four or five and supervised by an officer who had participated in the conversion work, they soon cross one of the metal gangways used as a cutaway to enter the bowels of what is still only a gigantic construction site as animated as a beehive. Lagadec is part of the group led by IM Charles de Kerdonval, a mechanical officer and future head of the Aviation Installations Department.
The corridors are cluttered with pipes, cables, mobile sponges, railings, various and varied tools. Each step forward must be calculated to slip through without bumping into or jostling the busy workers.
When he arrives at the main bridge, or bridge 00, Lagadec finally feels in his element: the immense hangar still cluttered with scaffolding that opens in front of him is well made to welcome beautiful aircraft. At the level of the axial elevators, on each side, large ports open onto the outside. Similarly, the port side elevator opens wide over the dark waters of the James River, almost eight meters below. On the back of the hangar, just after axial elevator n°2, specialized workshops extend on two levels, on decks 00 and 01.
They will allow the maintenance of the engines, the circuits, the weapons and the instruments of the aircraft. Lagadec also discovers, with a pinch in the heart, the workshop which will have to repair the holes made by the enemy projectiles...
Towards the front, the hangar stops after the axial elevator n°1, then come two levels of premises, directly under the flight deck.
- It was necessary to find space to reposition all the old posts located under the 152 mm turrets and the massif. These two new false decks therefore house the majority of the housing and squares that were levelled. It is not the most comfortable place on board if your planes take off all the time, Yvon, but it will be for a good cause!" says Charles.
The visitors then arrive on the front deck, now almost completely covered, whose ports on the sides of the deck allow the hawsers to be maneuvered. At the end, a raised barbette receives a quadruple 40 mm gun mount.
Going down below the main deck, the small group leads to the crew quarters, which have not been modified. We still find there the folding metal tables and the long bars spiked with hooks that allow to install the hammocks in the evening. Indeed, the lack of space has not allowed us to upgrade to the US Navy's standards for accommodation. Under the crew quarters are stores and workshops for the boscos, the forward peak and cofferdams used for ballasting liquid ballast.
- A little further back, there are two sections reserved for the commissariat service where we find lazarettes, cold rooms, wine holds, fresh water bunkers, flour bunkers and kitchens, in short, everything that allows us to serve the quality French food for which our navy is famous," says Charles.
- It's a good thing we didn't touch anything on this side," replies Lagadec. "I didn't really want to find the beans & corned beef or steak & peas that were the usual fare at Lady Lex.
- As the other Kerdonval, aka my beloved brother, mentioned yesterday in his presentation
", Charles continues with a smile, "the next sections, located under the old 380 turrets, have been completely redesigned to house fuel, ammunition and other aviation-specific ingredients, as well as their freight elevators.
The visit continues towards the central sections of the ship,
- Now, everyone has to go through this area, otherwise a good part of the crew will get angry!" laughs Charles. "Going down to the "mine" behind me and without touching anything.
The group then begins a long descent by vertical ladders that lead to the front boiler room. Arrived in the "heating street", the officers discover the fronts of the boilers behind an incredible tangle of pipes, pumps, valves, levers and indicators that give them an idea of what could be a mechanical hell.
In the midst of this peculiar environment, a few crewmen are working on maintenance or checking operations. One of them, in particular, wears curious rank marks, not very common in the navy: two red chevrons topped by a golden chevron.
- Yvon, let me introduce you to a country of your own: the mechanical petty officer Job Lagadec! He's the boss here, a real chouff [a petty officer in charge of the boilers with more than ten years of service], hence his Mexican petty officer's stripes. Between us, we call him "Two reds and a pastis", because of the color of his stripes, but also because of his favorite occupation on land. That said, since he joined us here, it is rather "Two Cokes and an orange juice", for lack of a better word, right chouff?" says Charles while talking to the petty officer.
- Ah that, y' are right chief, true country of sauvaches here that it is here!" growls the other Lagadec.
Then, addressing himself to Yvon: "Respect Captain, and if you were born on the side of Ploudal, there might be som' fam' there!
- We'll take a close look at it, chouff, and if I find a bottle of the right color I'll think of you!
" answers Yvon laughing.
Charles de Kerdonval continues, for everyone: "Gentlemen, I'll spare you the two other boiler rooms and the central and lateral machine compartments, located further back. However, in keeping with tradition, given that we are at the lowest point of the ship, I propose that we move on..."
- From the keel to the midship masthead!" all the officers reply in chorus.
- Well, I see that the traditions of welcoming midshipmen on board have not been lost with the war! Let's go, there are only fourteen levels to climb!
While going up from the "mine", the group takes advantage of a test of the side elevator to emerge on the flight deck and admire the island framed by two double turrets of 127 mm Mk 32. They then enter the interior to continue on the front of the island and from bottom to top by visiting the navigation bridge, the command bridge and the lookout ring, then go down through the back of the island, passing through the aviation bridge, the transmissions center and the operations center. In these premises, almost everything is American-made and the equipment is identical to that of the Essex class. Admiringly, the visitors comment on the tactical progress that these new aircraft will bring.
To the discrete satisfaction of some, there will be no ascent to the top of the mast, because this one is still surrounded by the scaffoldings necessary to the installation of the last missing aerials.
All of them then go back down to deck 03 (flight deck level) and meet the other visiting groups in the brand new briefing room. There, Yvon Lagadec distinguishes himself once again by forcing his way in to be the first to sit in one of the comfortable armchairs, in the front row.
- The first deck, the first soup, the first group of leave-takers, as they say in the the aviators! Aah, now I'm home at last!" he says.
When everyone is settled, Louis de Kerdonval takes the floor: "Commander, Gentlemen, your attention please...". And, once calm has returned: "Now, a little surprise for our most famous penguin, on behalf of all those who have worked to make a "flat-top" worthy of such a pilot... and also in honor of our American allies, to thank them for their help.
Louis then slides a curtain hung on a partition of the briefing room and discovers a painted wooden crest representing Felix the Cat wearing a Breton hat and carrying a bomb in the colours of the naval aviation cockade, all on a yellow background: Lagadec's personal insignia since his passage to the VF3. Underneath, it says: "USS Lexington Hall".
Blushing, Lagadec is moved and gives his heartfelt thanks. As a finale, everyone sings an old sailor's song, perhaps not very adapted to the current war, but who cares :
« Avec Jean-Bart s’en sont allés
Ohé du mousse, le vent te pousse
Avec Jean-Bart s’en sont allés
Gars de Dunkerque et de Calais
Pour sur la mer battre l’Anglais
Chante le vent, Ohé, hého !
Hisse la voile, fier matelot
Voguèrent alors nuit et jour
Voguèrent alors nuit et jour
Et déjà parlaient de retour
Quand l’Anglais parut à l’entour.
Les attaquèrent en chant
Les attaquèrent en chant
Tuant, fendant, décapitant
Sans même faiblir un instant.
Au soir sur le flot apaisé
Au soir sur le flot apaisé
Flottait au haut du grand hunier
Le pavillon fleurdelisé.
Hisse la voile, fier matelot ! »

Roughly translating to:
With Jean-Bart went away
Ohé sailor, the wind pushes you
With Jean-Bart they went away
Boys from Dunkirk and Calais
To beat the Englishman on the sea
Sing the wind, ahoy!
Hoist the sail, proud sailor
Sail then night and day
Ooh, the wind is pushing you
Sail then night and day
And were already talking of returning
When the Englishman appeared around.
Sing the wind, ahoy!
They attacked in song
The wind is pushing you, ahoy!
They attacked in song
Killing, splitting, decapitating
Without even a moment's hesitation.
Sing the wind, ahoy!
In the evening on the calm sea
Ahoy there, the wind is driving you
In the evening on the calm wave
Floated at the top of the great topsail
The flag with the fleurdelisé.
Sing the wind, ahoy!
Hoist the sail, proud sailor!

Luckily, there were no Englishmen within earshot," Lagadec says, "but if necessary, we would have explained to them that it was only traditional, as for them to have a battleship named Nelson... And they would have understood!"

December 15th, 1942

Laeken
- Still perplexed as to the attitude to adopt towards the Service du Travail Obligatoire, Leopold III decides to consult the representatives of the employers and the workers. This is how Messrs. Galopin, de Launoit, Bekaert and Rulot - for the employers, and Mr. Huyssens and Mr. Segers - for the workers, meet at the castle of Laeken.
After thanking his guests for responding to his call, the King explains his dilemma:
"I wanted to discuss with you a measure which, rightly, worries public opinion and creates a serious national problem. The introduction of forced labor in foreign territory places our workforce at the direct disposal of the German war economy. [...] I have addressed myself directly to the Führer to point out the grave significance of this measure and to demand the natural right to work without leaving the family home. [...]
I was told that the necessities of war prevented the Reich from renouncing this. We are therefore forced to undergo this ordeal. Indeed, what could we do? A new protest? It could only be a repetition. Some believe that an outburst from me would be appropriate. But in what form? The dignity of the Crown only allows it to be conceived only by a written and published declaration. The Germans could affect to ignore it; we would lose prestige. Or they could transfer me to Germany. I am quite ready to go to Germany. I was ready on May 29th, 1940, to follow my officers.
The Germans decided otherwise and put me under house arrest in Laeken. With my transfer to Germany, I could gain a certain halo of national sympathy.
But would the country gain from my transfer abroad? Would the deportations cease? Would the monetary difficulties be alleviated? I ask you the question
."
When asked one by one about the advisability of a public protest, all concede that one cannot hope to obtain a withdrawal of the measure, or even a softening, by a blow of sovereign. But an absence of public reaction on his part would inevitably be taken to mean a surrender, or even a tacit approval. These are above all the representatives of the workers, André Huyssens for the socialists and Paul-Willem Segers for the Christians, who insist on this last point. Alexandre Galopin considers that the "indiscretions" about the letter to the Führer were far from unwelcome. The Baron de Launoit agrees; he adds that the King could offer his moral support for the deportees by granting His high patronage to a Committee of Assistance to the Deportees and their Families, to be created within the Red Cross.
On this basis, the King decides not to repeat his protest, but rather to leak the full text of his letter to Hitler of November 3rd. He even authorizes his interlocutors to report the content of their discussions - in defiance of the constitutional practice of secrecy of the singular colloquy with the monarch: "I intend to maintain and reaffirm on the occasion all my reservations against a measure that is a usurpation of force, forcing us to help an invader who has attacked and occupied us without any right."
The debate then shifts to ways of mitigating the consequences of STO. "We can seek to reduce the harm and safeguard as much as we can," says the King, before seeking advice from the audience on the terms that could be negotiated with the occupier. How many deportees? men? singles? women? young girls? voluntary? forced? What were the conditions of departure? of settlement? of work? Repercussions on economic activity? Opportunity of certain categorical approaches?
After the meeting, he reports its contents to General Van Overstraeten, asking him
"to study closely the ordeal that we cannot avoid, and to examine the means of limiting its effect, in the interest of our workers and the general economy of the country". But there is no question of organizing collaboration. The general must collect the points of view of the participants in preparation for a new exchange, scheduled for December 30th.

December 15th, 1942

Japan
- Germany completes the sale to Japan of four merchant ships blocked since September 1939 and already used by the Japanese, a total of nearly 20,000 GRT: the freighters Havenstein (7,974 GRT), Quito (1,230 GRT) and R.C. Rickmers (5,163 GRT), which become the Teisho Maru, Teishu Maru and Teifuku Maru respectively; the tanker Winnetou (5,073 GRT) is renamed Teikon Maru.
The Teifuku Maru is lost quickly, December 22nd, sunk off Cape Inubo Saki by a mine from the submarine USS Trigger (Lt. Cdr. R.S. Benson).

December 15th, 1942

Saigon
- Secretary Kuriyama, Ambassador Yoshizawa and General Tyo complete the division of the exploitation of Indochina. A statement to the local press emphasizes that the meeting took place in an atmosphere of great politeness and that it led to decisions allowing Indochina to be definitively freed from colonialism. At least, from that of the Whites...

December 15th, 1942

Guadalcanal, 06:30
- The Seahorse is the scene of a rare event: a troop of soldiers marching in perfect uniform under the watchful eye of their officer.
Onishi is not satisfied with a single pass in front of the other stunned units; on the contrary, he repeats the exercise again and again, until it is perfect. The captain wishes he had parade uniforms for this demonstration, but it seems that nothing like that exists on this cursed island. That's why, once the exercise is over, he and his men return to the defensive sector assigned to his detachment.
The rest of the morning and the beginning of the afternoon ar spent in earthworks, necessary to improve positions often established in spite of common sense. Onishi is obliged to completely reorganize the fire plan of his sector: until now, no one had bothered with it. When his exhausted men have finished setting up, the captain tells them that they will have to carry out two daily patrols from now on, in the morning and in the afternoon, and that half of them had just been designated volunteers for the first one, which will start in fifteen minutes.
This patrol turns into a disaster: the men are noisy, don't respect or, worse, don't know the instructions, miss their targets, don't know the instructions, and almost shoot each other. Furious, Onishi imposes on his entire detachment an accelerated remedial course that goes on until nightfall. Sending his men to bed, Onishi warns them that they will have to be ready the day after tomorrow at 06:30, for a new exercise, and that these parades will continue until they honor the Emperor.
Guadalcanal - The Americans do not know the cause, but the Japanese decision to evacuate the island immediately results in an increase in bombing raids against Henderson Field. The objective is, of course, to mislead the enemy to remain on the defensive until such time as most of Kawagushi's soldiers are out of reach. It must be said that, in spite of the still significant losses, the Japanese airmen put their hearts into their work to make this scenario credible. In the early afternoon, thick clouds allow the attackers from Rabaul to escape the Wildcats, but not to spot the airfield!
On the other hand, through a hole, the Japanese pilots discover a heap of crates, visibly just unloaded - they had indeed been brought two days earlier by the Sidewalk transports. All around are crowded numerous soldiers, small ants panicked by the threat hovering above them. Sensing a target of choice, the G4Ms, in a hurry to go back, bomb this objective. The Americans reacted with everything they have at their disposal, flak, machine guns, rifles, pistols - a witness will affirm after the war to have seen a cook throwing a kitchen knife towards a plane - in vain: several bombs hit their target head-on, igniting a violent fire and riddling with shrapnel the defenders who remain in the open. And the crews of the Bettys congratulate themselves on the success of their raid on the way back...
On Guadalcanal, the soldiers of the 132nd IR see with consternation a part of their supplies consumed. Some fall to their knees, others shout insults while holding their fists to the sky. The bombs of the Mikado had indeed just reduced to ashes, among other supplies of varying military interest, the entire stock of soap and sweets of the regiment. If the soap will be - wrongly - not really regretted (strangely enough, the item is not in short supply in any of the depots set up on the island...), the loss of barley sugar, candy bars and chewing gum is a serious blow to the morale of the men of Americal, which had already been damaged by a week spent carrying half-rotten Japanese corpses.
Worse still, the regiment finds itself the target of the jeers of the Marines still present on the island: indeed, Major Banner, incredulous, sees arriving in his dispensary half a dozen men wounded by shards of glass and shrapnel from... hazelnuts, that he will take hours to extract! The shards of glass came from bottles of a brown, sweet, carbonated drink already very popular in the United States and whose manufacturer supplies the US units right up to the front line. This humiliation pushes the men of the 132nd IR to take revenge on the "yellow monkeys" by leading particularly aggressive patrols west of Point Cruz.

Norfolk (United States) - The CVE Chenango sets sail for the South Pacific. On board are squadrons VGF-28 (10 F4F-4s) and VGS-28 (11 SBD-3s and 6 TBF-1s), four F4U-1s from VF-28 and F4U-1 from VF-12. The mission of this US Navy unit is to continue qualification tests of the Corsair on aircraft carriers.

Tokyo - The previous evening, Admiral Nagano was informed of the outcome of the Rabaul conference by a young corvette captain sent urgently from Rabaul by Yamamoto.
Nagano could not but approve of the initiatives of the Commander of the Combined Fleet, whether it is that the Army finally agreed to the "redeployment" of the troops blocked on the island (no question, of course, of evoking the slightest "retreat") or of having had this information transmitted to him by carrier and not by radio. According to the information gathered on the wreck of the Prince of Wales, the Americans were very good at deciphering Japanese codes. It seems that the Navy's codes resisted better than the others, but a little paranoia never hurts and, in any case, it is better not to tempt the radio operators of the Army...
In the afternoon, in front of the Imperial Headquarters, Nagano has no difficulty in convincing all the participants that it is as victors, following a well-considered strategy, that the Japanese launch themselves in a new phase of conquests - and of victories. Obviously, the fact that no one seems to remember the speech made on the previous June 4th by the same Nagano in front of the same assembly makes it much easier for him...
"We have inflicted considerable losses on the enemy in recent months," he concludes. "His forces have been seriously damaged, but because of the failures of our German and Italian allies, he was able to benefit from powerful reinforcements from the Mediterranean. It is therefore time to tighten our hold on the excellent positions that we have strengthened throughout the South and Central Pacific and to prepare for the complete destruction of our adversaries' forces. In the coming weeks, we will launch major operations in the Indian Ocean and the North Pacific, which will take the enemy completely by surprise, now that we have him pinned down in the strategically unimportant Solomon Islands. Then, in the course of the year 1943, with a reorganized and reinforced Combined Fleet, we will force the Americans and their allies a decisive battle and definitively crush their battle fleet."
No doubt he would be hard pressed, as would Yamamoto, to provide details of the planned offensive operations. Midway in the Pacific, the Andaman in the Indian Ocean? Other targets? With what forces? But no one asked him for such details.

December 15th, 1942

Central Ukraine
- Dry weather, -2.7°.
The Luftwaffe tries to maintain a pace of operations compatible with the fire support that the German troops are constantly asking for, but its means are very reduced. The VVS, always very present, constantly harass the enemy ground troops as well as the Luftwaffe, while the ratio of victories to losses is only 1.5/1 for the German air force. This mediocre ratio (it is usually at least 2 to 3 to 1) is due to the losses suffered by the transports that go to supply Tarachtcha at the urgent request of von Wietersheim, but without allowing the encircled forces to be operational.

6438 - End of Operation Mars
December 15th, 1942

Operation Mars (against the 1. PanzerArmee) - Epilogue

In practice, operation Mars is over. North of the salient, a last German effort to retake Shapalovka is aborted in a few minutes under a rain of heavy mortar shells. Guderian then officially orders the 1. PanzerArmee to cease all offensive activity and to hold the positions it had acquired.
At the end of the day, Guderian is summoned by Hitler to Rastenburg for a "capital" meeting, which is to take place from December 18th with the OKH and which is to last two to three days. He entrusts the command of the army to the leader of PanzerGruppe 2, Reinhardt.

Status
Not open for further replies.