Fantasque Time Line (France Fights On) - English Translation

Status
Not open for further replies.
2366- Start of the Battle of Veroia
May 24th, 1941

Greece, northern front - Battle of Veroia
- The Veroia-Salonica line is put to the test by German armor, but holds out. However, Thessaloniki is practically surrounded. The evacuation by sea of the defenders is decided. At dusk, the Aegean Sea Squadron of Pridham-Wippell enters the Gulf of Salonika. While the cruisers (HMS Ajax, HMAS Perth and MN Emile-Bertin) shell the German and Bulgarian troops, the destroyers enter the harbour, which is cluttered with wrecks of ships sunk by the Ju 87s, and embark as many Greek troops as possible.
On the Alyakmon line, the first elements of the 2nd French Armoured Division (61st BCC, with 45 M2A4 tanks and 4 VPM-81), landed nine days earlier in Piraeus, are now
ready to support the 1st DC and the 7th Armoured Division.

2367 - End of the East Africa Campaign
May 25th, 1941

South Central: The East African Offensive
- It took three weeks for the Allied troops to obtain the surrender of the remaining Italian troops in the region. With the surrender of General Gazzera, acting viceroy, the last Italian troops lay down their arms in the Galla-Sidamo region and in Ethiopia as a whole.
But this surrender only concerns the regular troops. A residual guerrilla warfare will remain in the AOI, with the slogan "Ritorneremo" (we will return). It is estimated that there were about 7,000 men that continued the struggle in small groups. Their leaders are Commander Amedeo Guillet in Ethiopia, Captain Francesco De Martini in Eritrea, Colonel Calderari in western Ethiopia, Colonel Di Marco in Somaliland, and centurion De Varda in Italian Somalia. It was not until the armistice with Italy that this guerrilla warfare would end. Its most spectacular feat of arms was the burning of the main ammunition depot in Addis Ababa.

May 25th, 1941

Palmyra
- As the rearguard of the DML, the 2nd section of the 3rd CPLE returns to its garrison where reinforcements sent from Algeria are waiting for it to bring the strength back to its full level. The company's pennant now bears the Croix de Guerre with palm.
Damascus - General Massiet pronounces the dissolution of the DML. In a final order of the day General de Larminat congratulates his troops for their conduct in battle and expresses his pride in having commanded them. He includes the FAML airmen in his congratulations.

May 25th, 1941

North Atlantic
- A flood of congratulatory messages flood the bridge of the Richelieu (Churchill, Dudley-Pound, Reynaud, De Gaulle...) while the damaged but victorious battleship heads for Scapa Flow. The ship is quickly sent to the United States for final repairs and improvement of its radars and anti-aircraft armament. It is there that
journalists christen her "the Fighting Cardinal", a nickname by which she will be known from now on on all the seas of the world.
On board the MN Richelieu - Vice Admiral Edmond Derrien's quarters.
- Thank you for responding so quickly to my invitation, Mr. Lincoln.
- It's, uh, only natural, Admiral.
- I read your... report of yesterday's battle. I wanted to congratulate you on it. I must say I was not too keen on having a journalist on the Richelieu, but I hope your countrymen will be touched by your story, even if or perhaps because one would sometimes think they are reading the report of a boxing match...

- (Embarrassed cough...)
- We will forward your text to your newspaper as soon as possible. But I would like to clarify one or two points. First and foremost, you must understand the immense
importance of this battle for my compatriots. Bismarck and Richelieu were great ministers for their countries. But moreover, Richelieu undoubtedly delayed by the formation of a united Germany by two centuries, and Bismarck did us a great deal of harm. After the Hood's demise, the struggle became a direct one between the representatives of the two countrie, France and Germany. And, for the first time since the beginning of this war, France has won. In Corsica, in Sardinia, in Greece, our men were and are magnificent, but they had to, they must, give up the ground. In these battles, Germany is advancing at the cost of heavy losses, but she is advancing. Today, however, Germany, the symbol of Germany, is at the bottom of the Atlantic. Yes, the significance of this battle was far greater than the fate of our ships.
- I understand... My next articles...
- On this subject, I would like to clarify a few points. You may have heard that some admirals of the French Navy do not appreciate, for various reasons, the composition of the current government. Some of them point out that traditionally, in our country, the sailor is a kind of royalist "temporarily in the service of the Republic"... But all sailors loyally serve the State. And these gentlemen of Algiers constitute the legal government, while the people of Paris are only a bunch of scoundrels.

- (Confusion...)
- But I speak, and I forget the most elementary politeness... You have lost a friend, I believe, on the Hood? Mister... Sixton...
- Clifton, Admiral. Bill - I mean, William Clifton. He wasn't a friend, he was a competitor, we don't work for the same newspapers, but he was... an example. I wanted to become a war correspondent because I read his articles. And I am today as sorry as if he had been my friend.
- Ah... My condolences... And, hmm, if I may ask, why were you on the Richelieu and he was on the Hood?
- No offense, Admiral, but we both wanted to be on the Hood. A famous ship, a legend of the Royal Navy, the shadow of Nelson... So we drew lots. And he won. I can still hear him say to me: "Lady Luck, kid! The only possible wife for a war correspondent! Every time I think she's going to dump me and then, you see, she holds!"

May 25th, 1941

Alger
- The Admiralty is quick to reward the winners of Koh-Chang and, more generally, of the naval operations of the Spring Incident. Today's Journal Officiel announces that the designer of the actions against the Thai navy, Rear Admiral Jules Terraux, is promoted to vice-admiral as of May 1st, 1941 (which allows him to remain at the head of Marine-Indochine, even though he is close to the age limit of his rank). The winner of Koh-Chang, Captain Régis Bérenger, is promoted to Rear Admiral as of July 1st, 1941.
The JO does not specify that on that same date, Bérenger would take command of the 6th light cruiser division, which he continues to exercise the command of ad interim (Admiral Avice's state of health necessitated his evacuation to North Africa). He is then replaced at the head of the Lamotte-Picquet by Captain André Commentry, currently Chief of Staff of Marine-Indochine.

May 25th, 1941

- General Crüwell, who replaced Stumme wounded the day before, launches a new attack. Having noticed that the ground in front of Veroia is, for once, flat and clear, he tries to break through towards the valley of the Alyakmon. Tired by weeks of frustration and traffic jams in the mountains, he is bold enough to imitate a famous British tactic: charge valiantly under the jaws of the guns. Under the fire of the French 47 mm and 75 mm, the 9. Panzer Division, just reconstituted during the "List truce", loses 70 of its 150 tanks and the infantry of the 1st SS Motorized Regiment is decimated. An attempt to overrun the Allied lines by the 16. Panzer Division is countered by elements of the 1st DC and the 7th Armoured Division, with heavy losses on both sides.
The Allied forces are too exhausted to counter-attack, and neither their organization nor the reflexes of their commanders would allow them to switch from the defensive to the counter-attack so quickly - the Allies thus lose a good opportunity to completely destroy German armored units while the Axis infantry (Germans and Bulgarians) is still concentrated around Salonika.
Thessaloniki capitulates at the end of the day. Nearly 16 000 Greek soldiers are taken prisoner, although, until the last moment, some of them are still able to flee, by fishing boat, by rowboat, and even, in two cases, by swimming!

May 25th, 1941

Greece, western front
- An attempt to take Ioannina by surprise fails, because the columns of the Skandenberg Korps are counter-attacked in the passes by the Greek mountain infantry.

May 26th, 1941

London
- As the V-campaign in the occupied countries grows, an inter-allied coordinating committee is set up. During the first meeting, the Belgian representative Marc Schreiber notices that in Morse code, the V is coded as three short sounds followed by a long sound, exactly the opening of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. Immediately, the "blows of Destiny", as Stendhal described them, are adopted as a rallying sign, crowning the V campaign.

May 26th, 1941

Paris
- Authors from the other side of the Rhine are appearing more and more often in French scientific and technical publications.
The Concours Médical, the most widely read medical journal since the end of the 19th century, presents this week a translation of an article by Dr. Josef Mengele of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute in Berlin-Dahlem, originally published in the Deutsche Zeitschrift der Rasseforschung (German Journal of Racial Research). In it, Dr. Mengele repeats the conclusions of his thesis on the genetic origin of harelip. The introduction states that Dr. Mengele, who is currently serving as a battalion physician in one of the SS units
units in Yugoslavia, already holds two doctorates from the University of Frankfurt, one in medicine and the other in anthropology. "In the eyes of his masters and colleagues, he is one of the best hopes for medical science in Germany today", says the Concours Médical.
On the other hand, other doctors do not please the honorable journal. "Several medical journals, including the venerable Concours Médical, founded in 1879, decided to follow the instructions of the Laval government by banning Jewish doctors from their pages. It is true that the anti-Semitism of the Concours did not date from the Occupation, but as the country came under the boot, a little patriotism could have saved it from sinking completely into ignominy. Our dear Annals, on the other hand, decided to stop their publication rather than submit to the puppets of the Nazis - before resurrecting in 1944, when the Concours, struck down by the republican law, was sinking into oblivion." (Speech given in 1993 during the centenary of the Annales de Médecine by Jean-Pascal Violet, director of the publication).

May 26th, 1941

Tehran, 17:00
- For four days, the imperial court had been absent, so to speak. But in a letter delivered personally to Sir Reader Bullard by a messenger from the Court, the
messenger, the great chamberlain, in accordance with custom, "presents his compliments and distinguished greetings to His Excellency the Minister, Envoy Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of His Majesty King George VI", and tells him that he will be received by the Shahinchah at 19:30. Fascinated as he is of protocol, Sir Reader does not fail to note that it is, to say the least, discourteous not to give a foreign sovereign his full title and to omit to mention, in this case, that George VI is also Emperor of India. The meaning to give to this omission seems obvious to him and he charges one of his subordinates to inform London without delay.
19:15 - Sir Reader Bullard, accompanied by his number two, Edward Fitzroy esq. CMG MC, and by his military attaché, Lieutenant Colonel Lord David Gifford DSO MC, of the Royal Dragoons* , arrives at the Shah's palace in the usual black Daimler. In view of the content of the directives received from the Foreign Office, Bullard chooses to present himself in a morning coat, which Fitzroy also wears, while Gifford wears a dolman and scarlet pants, with his decorative bars offset by silver spurs.
19:30 - The Grand Chamberlain introduces the British into the audience hall of the palace.
The Shah, according to his habit, puts on his Cossack colonel's uniform and wears his black astrakhan talpak. He wears "all the cookware" (will write Sir Reader Bullard wrote with infinite contempt), including the collar of the Order of Pahlavi and the the Order of the Crown.
Reza Pahlavi is surrounded by all his ministers, the main dignitaries of the empire and several of his generals, starting with General Gholamali Bayandor who commands the 1st Iranian Army**. "His Highness," Sir Reader Bullard notes in a report the same evening, "seemed to me to exhale a charged breath, and the brightness of her pupils that she had indulged, as is said to be her custom, in substances prohibited by our laws."
19:32 - The interpreter, whose cheeks are flushed but whose forehead and nose are pale, translates the Shah's first sentences. "We did not want to offend you personally by refusing to grant you, Mr. ambassador, and your collaborators, the audience you requested. Know that we had no desire to see you, however, and that we are convinced that we have nothing to say, either to you or to your government."
A perfect diplomat, Sir Reader Bullard remains unmoved by the outrage: "I shall therefore value all the more the opportunity to speak to Your Highness, to whom I have the happy duty of conveying the sentiments of friendship of my king."
Reza Shah, polite when he absolutely must, cannot do less than nod: "I thank you, and beg you to be my intermediary to entrust him with mine."
Sir Reader Bullard decides not to waste time - and, motu proprio, to involve France, which cannot but, in his demonstration: "By order of His Majesty's Government, I am compelled to represent to Your Highness that the Allied Powers are weary of what they are, to their greatest regret, forced to call sympathies towards their Axis enemies. As a result, the United Kingdom, speaking in the name of the Allied Powers, requests Your Highness to direct her government to proceed without delay to the arrest of all German and Italian nationals present in Iran and to hand them over to such representatives as the Court of Saint-James wishes to know, for the purpose of internment."
The Shahinchah turns pale, but the glow in his eyes turns incandescent. Yet he is content to ruffle his moustache with the tip of his index finger. The interpreter is sweating, and drops of sweat from the roots of his hair disturb his vision. London's representative continues, unperturbed: "In addition, nine oil tankers and cargo ships flying the flag of Germany and Italy have been sheltering in Bandar Abbas for months. The indulgence...perhaps it would be more truthful to call it complicity... the constant indulgence, I said,
of your highness' government towards the breaches of the rules of neutrality of which the crews of these ships are guilty every day can no longer be tolerated. So that...
"
Bullard pauses theatrically.
"Well?" throws in Shah, who clenches his jaws.
A hint of a smile may appear on Sir Reader's face: "So the government is waiting for Your Highness's government to decide to sequester these ships, as well as to order the arrest of their officers and to hand them over to His Majesty like all other Axis nationals."
If the Shah had intended to say a few words, Sir Reader Bullard does not allow him the time to do so and finishes his speech: "It goes without saying that His Majesty's Government, on behalf of the Allied Powers, must be astonished that Your Highness remains in diplomatic relations with Germany and with Italy. It would seem to him expedient, and, to say the least, natural, that these be put an end to these relations as soon as possible. In short, I have to point out to Your Highness today that the measures which His Majesty's Government expects from Your Highness' Government must be taken within a week. Failing this, His Majesty's Government will judge itself, with its allies, to be in a position, as much as in the right, to conform its policy to the necessities of the situation."
The word ultimatum does not appear in Sir Reader's statement, but it is just the same. The Shah seems choked with anger. Then, the envoy from London bows: "It only remains for me and my collaborators to take leave of Your Highness, to whom we send our best wishes for prosperity and health."
Still mute, Reza Pahlavi gestures with his right hand - his left hand clutches the hilt of his saber - which undoubtedly means: "Get out!" Everyone in his empire knows
that he has never quite ceased to be the bribe-taker he once was.
The three Brits leave the hall backwards, stopping three times for the de rigueur bows.
"Nice weather for a polo game," says Sir Reader, climbing back into his Daimler. "Quite, Sir," agrees Gifford. Fitzroy merely nods.
London, 20:30 - The USSR ambassador, Ivan Maisky, has been invited to dinner by Anthony Eden at the Foreign Office. He is accompanied - or watched? - by his number three, Piotr Petrovitch Bretchko, whom MI5 suspects of being the head of Beria's representation at the embassy. The conversation, as it should be, is about "questions of common interest".
After the hors d'oeuvres, we come to the situation in the Caucasus where, Maisky asserts, the Turks have been strengthening their military presence for three months. Eden, who, in truth, does not believe it, exchanges a glance with Sir Alexander Cadogan: "His Majesty's government has not been informed of this," he says, with a look of regret. "But, between us I can't see what benefit President Inönü would find in irritating the Soviet authorities. It is in his interest to maintain good relations between Moscow and Ankara. Unless, still between us, they do not consider it useless, in the Kremlin, to increase a little the tension between Turkey and the Soviet Union, and..."
"Hypothesis without foundation!" cuts Maisky.
"Very well, very well!" resumes Eden with a tiny shade of irony. "But, about the Caucasus precisely, Mr. ambassador, I must confide you that we were led to... well... to exert... sustained pressure on His Highness the Shah of Iran. I am afraid we are forced to consider a certain obstinacy on the part of His Highness, who seems to us to be susceptible, as always, to some stubbornness, I confess to you... that the Shahinchah refuses to follow up our requests, which are, however, it goes without saying, perfectly reasonable."
"It goes without saying," Maisky pretends to agree, in the tone Eden had used to say "Very well."
If this were, alas, the case," continues Eden, "His Majesty's Government might... I repeat, might... be forced to resort to some form of coercion."
Maisky nods: "A form of coercion... I see.
"I will be completely frank and candid, Mr. Ambassador. The Allies in general, and the United Kingdom in particular, are wondering about the probability of events... at this stage, these are only possibilities...that would lead the Shah of Iran to relinquish his throne in favor of his heir. These events, I fear, would include the presence of British troops... I meant allied troops, of course... on part of Iran's territory in order to ensure the protection of their interests, especially in the field of oil."
"I see..." repeats Maisky without committing himself further.
"We would like the Soviet Union not to read into this an unfriendly gesture against it. On the contrary! We are anxious to act only in consultation with the authorities in Moscow, because we are aware that the USSR also has interests in Iran and that it could have the will to protect them, which we would not believe to be illegitimate!"
An excellent diplomat, whatever his detractors may say, Ivan Maisky understands quickly and also knows not to lose himself in procrastination. He only says: "I will pass it on."

* In the British system, the title of Lord (with a lower case) followed by a first and last name indicates a younger son of a peer of the realm (duke, earl, viscount or baron), who by definition will not inherit the title. Winston Churchill's father, Lord Randolph Churchill, was the third son of the Duke of Marlborough, head of the Churchill family and, although the grandson of a duke, Winston Churchill was, for most of his life, only Mr. Churchill MP - a commoner, albeit a member of the gentry. In return, like the baronets or knights, cadets are eligible for election to the Commons, unlike their elders, confined to the House of Lords and denied the right to vote.
The Royal Dragoons (The Royals), which accept as officers only the finest of the aristocracy, are one of the regiments of the Household Cavalry.
** In fact, it was little more than an army corps whose divisions, moreover, only fielded a variable percentage of their personnel and have only a part of their equipment at their disposal: troops better adapted a priori for maintaining order, for example in the Kurdish zone, than for war.

May 26th, 1941

- New attacks of the XL. AK (mot). The 16. Panzer Division tries this time to break through the lines at the junction of the ANZAC and the Armée d'Orient, and is repulsed by the 2 pound Australian anti-tank and French tank hunters. The latter, armed trucks, suffer heavy losses. Between Veroia and the sea, another attack is stopped by the French anti-aircraft units, which use their 25 mm automatic weapons as anti-tank weapons.
In the evening, the Aegean Sea Squadro bombed the coastal road from Kavala to Thessaloniki, which is very used by German and Bulgarian supply convoys, before withdrawing towards Limnos and Lesbos.
Violent fighting in the air, say the communiqués.

"After the first victory of George Burgard on the 22nd, followed by another one on the 25th, Du Mouzy had declared that our Infiltrator no longer needed to be held by the hand and had appointed him as leader of one of the elements of his patrol. This was not surprising: George was not a novice like those who came to us from the Fighter School, he was a pilot who had a lot of experience, but he was nt in combat until then. In fact, he was older than most of us; he was almost 28 years old! His "handicap" erased,
he could show all his qualities.
On the 26th, as on the day before, the aerial combats over Veroia were particularly intense, the Germans trying to open the way to their tanks with aerial bombardments. Burgard had asked for Ramdane as a wingman - which Du Mouzy gladly granted him - and gave him a briefing in these terms: "Aziz, the guys on the ground need to shoot down the Hun bombers (he didn't say "Krauts"). That's my job. I need the Hun fighters to leave me alone (his French was not very academic). That's your job. Yes?" "OK!" replied Ramdane, who knew how to adapt.
All day long, our II/5 (who was at that time based in Larissa) was fully engaged in the fighting and in the evening, George T. Burgard became the first American Ace since the First World War, after destroying two Bfg. "It wasn't very difficult," he said. "I didn't look in my rearview mirror once, which allowed me to be much more efficient." Aziz Ramdane, on the other hand, was making a funny face. An exhausted face! "You understand," he told me, "it is very trying to follow George. I thought a hundred times that he was going to hit a Boche. And what would I have looked like? Yet, behind him, I had done my job!" And well done: he had shot down a 109, without neglecting to finish off a He 111 which Burgard had started, giving him four victories.
In any case, it was at this point that, despite the unofficial nature of the presence of our Infiltrators, we stopped talking about Group II/5, but about the "Lafayette Group". " (Jean-Pierre Leparc, op. cit.).

May 27th, 1941

Greece, northern front - Battle of Veroia: the affair of the Mouths of Alyakmon
- After a very violent bombardment by Stukas, German troops break through the defenses of the 86th DIA and cross the Alyakmon estuary, east of Veroia, on four boat bridges, establishing a bridgehead on the right bank. Their objective is to progress along the coast, towards Katerini, in the south. The English Blenheims and the French Marylands who have survived several weeks of fighting attack the boat bridges all afternoon, despite a very heavy flak.
At dusk, the Aegean Sea Squadron shells the bridgehead. During the night, the French infantry (2nd Zouaves regiment, until then held in reserve by the 86th DIA), supported by the tanks of the 1st DC and the 61st BCC, attack from Veroia towards the sea to cut off from their bases the German troops who had crossed the river. The night use of the tanks is inspired by the actions carried out in Corsica by Lieutenant-Colonel Leclerc's men - nothing surprising, since this one is today colonel de Hauteclocque (although his menand journalists continue to call him Leclerc), at the head of the first elements of the 2nd DC. Meanwhile, the old Greek torpedo boats Alkyoni, Arethousa, Doris and Pergamos enter the estuary to support the French attack by taking the enemy from the rear. The battle lasts all night. In the morning, most of the German survivors retreat to the left bank... but the 1st D.C. has only 60 tanks left.

Athens - Patakos, Wavell and Giraud confer with Admiral Cunningham to coordinate naval support to the defense of Northern Greece.

May 27th, 1941

Alger
- The French government decides to send to Crete, for all practical purposes, two battalions of its new "Infanterie de l'Air" (parachutists) and the Bataillon de Choc of the
Foreign Legion. It also plans to send armoured reinforcements to Greece at the beginning of June to compensate for the losses suffered until then.

May 28th, 1941

Independent State of Croatia
- Ante Pavelic's Ustasha do not wait for their Poglavnik legislated in this sense to begin their policy of terror against the Serbs. In retaliation for the murder of two Croatian security agents the day before, 184 Serb villagers are shot in Gudovac, near Bjelovar (Slavonia), in the presence of Colonel Kvaternik, n°2 of the Ustasha regime.

2381 - End of the Battle of Veroia
May 28th, 1941

- The battle continues. At dawn, the remnants of the British armoured brigades coming from Edessa attack on the left bank of the Alyakmon, to support the French troops who continue their attack on the other bank and to destroy the boat bridges. Many British tanks are destroyed by 88 mm AA fire, which stop their rush, but not before three of the four bridges have been destroyed. The German offensive is well and truly stopped and only a very narrow bridgehead remains on the right bank. The Stukas avenge this failure by sinking three Greek torpedo boats, the Alkyone, the Doris and the Pergamos.
At the end of the day, Field Marshal List warns Hitler's HQ that the offensive has to be suspended to regroup and reorganize the troops. Furious about what he ses as a new and unacceptable delay, Hitler threatens to dismiss List from his command, and only gives up on this at the insistent request of Jodl and Von Rundstedt. He then decides to convene
for the following day to prepare a major offensive intended to "crush the enemy resistance in Greece once and for all."

May 28th, 1941

Greece, Western Front
- Axis forces resume their attack towards Ioannina. The Skandenberg Korps is now reinforced by the 4. Gebirgs-Division, which comes from Corsica, where it has been relieved by Italian units. Nevertheless, Rommel is once again stopped by Greek troops, despite continuous air support from the Luftwaffe and the Regia Aeronautica. The Italian Special Army Corps is no more successful.

May 28th, 1941

Cádiz
- After having crossed the Strait of Gibraltar the day before, diving and safely, the submarine Sciré discreetly enters the port of Cadiz at night and comes alongside of the oil tanker Fulgor, an Italian ship supposedly interned by the Spaniards, which is used as a hideout for the Italian secret services and the men of the Xa MAS. The crew of the Sciré is entitled to a hot shower and fresh provisions, the operators check their three SLCs, while Borghese listens to an Italian diplomat's report on the situation of the British ships in Gibraltar. After a few hours in Cadiz, the Sciré leaves as discreetly as it has come.

May 29th, 1941

Southeast of Basra (Iraq-Iran border), 01:45
- Captain David Raziel and Sergeant Dov Avigdor, both British Army* but in civilian clothes, are shot by Iranian soldiers, possibly by mistake, during a night reconnaissance mission on the Basra-Khorramshar road. They had been assigned the task, at the head of a small group, of surveying the possible minefields and to evaluate the extent of the Iranian army's presence in this area, which had apparently been reinforced in recent days.
Raziel, then head of the Irgun, and Avigdor, his bodyguard, had been recruited in January 1940 by the Intelligence Department of His Majesty's armed forces in Palestine, after the de facto truce announced by their organization for the duration of the war.** Raziel, who had been approved by his movement's general staff, felt that this commitment would offer him and his friends the opportunity to deepen a military experience that he considered, as far as they were concerned, too theoretical.
The three other members of the squad manage to bring the bodies safely to a n outpost held around a Bren and a Stokes mortar by a Royal Marines combat group.
Tehran, 10:30 - The largest demonstration in Iran's capital city in many years begins. Several hundred thousand people, according to Western embassy estimates - overwhelmingly men, but, to the surprise of observers, also women in close ranks - marching and chanting slogans against "British imperialism" and shouting "Long live Germany" and "Long live Italy" whose flags they brandish. They also carry portraits of the Shahinchah and the Crown Prince, whose names they cheer with metronome regularity. In accordance with a ritual that is now rooted in the west as well as in the east of Suez, the demonstrators repeatedly burn the Union Jack*** while booing Winston Churchill. There is no mention of France.
The highly organized nature of the event can be seen in the fact that the placards and banners are carefully painted, evidently from the day before or the day before, as well as in the presence of representations of all classes of Iranian society: both male (and female) students as well as shopkeepers of the Bazaar, military men and women in uniform as well as clergymen of the Shiite clergy - closely controlled, it is true, by the secret police since Reza Pahlavi took power. The Shah's henchmen and his agents provocateurs know their job - we already knew that!
In addition, the show of force is effectively channeled. The gendarmerie, very present, and army posts equipped with machine guns forbid the demonstrators, who do not mind, the access of the district of the embassies.
12:45 - In a telegram sent to the Foreign Office, Sir Reader Bullard describes the demonstration as a "nice picnic à la Gandhi... without barbecue by sheer luck." Sir Reader may have had reason to fear that the demonstrators would burn down his embassy!
15:00 - Even as Britain gives the Shahinchah a week to meet its demands, the ambassador has his passports requested, as is customary, from the Iranian Foreign Ministry. He merely writes in his request that he was "recalled for consultations" by his government.

* They were not attached to the Jewish Brigade, whose Jerusalem HQ was in no hurry to complete the training...
** The Haganah, an offshoot of the Jewish Agency, existed more informally than clandestinely in British Mandate Palestine. The Irgun, on the other hand, was always condemned to clandestinity - even more so during the periods when it was chased by the Haganah due to dissentions amidst the Yishuv. But both organizations, as early as September 1939, had decided, in spite of the White Paper, to renounce violent actions against the Mandatory Power and to fight it henceforth by political means only.
*** It seems that this gesture - destroying flags by fire, which has since made a fortune - came from Turkey. The French and British flags were burned there - perhaps at the instigation of Atatürk himself - during every protest against the Treaty of Sèvres.

May 29th, 1941

Greece, northern front
- Ground operations are lulling for the first time in a week. The Luftwaffe, however, remains very active against Athens, and continues to attack the small town of Volos. The port of this one is now largely destroyed and cluttered with sunken ships, which forces the French and British reinforcements to concentrate the landings of men and supplies in Piraeus.
Mönichkirchen - The staff meeting convened the day before in the Führer's train headquarters decides to allocate part of the fleet of trucks gathered in Poland to the forces of List to increase their logistical capabilities, which are severely limited by the destruction of the railway system due to the Allied air attacks on the marshalling yards. In addition, the IInd FliegerKorps, previously stationed in Poland within LuftFlotte 1, has to redeploy in Bulgaria.

Status
Not open for further replies.