Famous quotations that never were

"Putin... tear down that wall." - President John Kerry, speaking in Berlin on November 22, 2005.

"I would like to inform my fellow Americans that I am withdrawing for the race for President. Thanks for backing my campaign. Now, I would suggest you vote for Hillary Rodham Clinton. She can truly make America great again." - Donald J. Trump, announcing his withdrawal from the Democratic primaries in Trump Tower, Manhattan, NY, July 25, 2008.

"There is no Soviet domination of eastern Europe, and there never will be under a Reagan administration." - President Ronald Reagan, in a presidential debate on October 11, 1984.

"I will return." - General Robert E. Lee, while retreating from Gettyburg after a disappointing loss against Union troops, July 6, 1863.

"I will bury you." - Confederate President Jefferson F. Davis, replying to a letter from US President Abraham Lincoln, December 10, 1863.

"It's over Napoleon, I've the higher ground"
- Duke of Wellington, 1815

"I don't like Gauls. They're coarse and rough and irritating and they gets everywhere."
-Julius Caesar during the Gallic Wars

"This can't be happening, I'm in charge here!"
Leon Trotsky, 1926

"Do you feel in charge?"
Josef Stalin, to above

Pesigalam

Banned
Here is a challenge -- come with an ATL situation where this (OTL) quote makes sense:

"In 1965, CIA gangster police beat me bloody, dragged me in chains from Kennedy New York airport. Since then I hide in forced jobless poverty isolated, alone in this low deadly nigertown old house... [They tried] to shut me up forever with a sneak undetectable extermination ... for writing these unforgivable TRUTHS. Until my undetectable extermination, I, Francis E. Dec, Esq., 29 Maple Avenue, Hampsted, NY, I stand alone against your mad, deadly, world-wide conspiratorial ...Communism"

"Heck of a job with those brownies." - George Bush to the White House chef shortly after legalizing marijuana

"You wont have to kick me around anymore" - President Nixon to the White House press corp while touring a dog rescue shelter.

Screw it I'm bringing this thread back from the dead

"The nation of Venezuela does not fool around, if you were a government in Latin america, and decided to go against their interests, then you should expect a regime change real soon"
-Famous historian John Steenhuisen, in his book "How America came to love Pérez Jiménez" (2017)

Screw it I'm bringing this thread back from the dead

"The nation of Venezuela does not fool around, if you were a government in Latin america, and decided to go against their interests, then you should expect a regime change real soon"
-Famous historian John Steenhuisen, in his book "How America came to love Pérez Jiménez" (2017)
Not too sure on collab threads like this, I think it's best you should've opted to make a new thread; this one's too decayed (few years!) to be properly brought back unless by the OP.

This post'll probably be struck down through iron, salt, blood, and power.

"Over my dead body": the last words of Slobodan Miloševič after refusing to accept an independent Croatia

"Enough hours have been wasted debating how to be a proper Muslim. Be one!" - Imam Yusuf al-Haurani starting the Muslim revival

Not too sure on collab threads like this, I think it's best you should've opted to make a new thread; this one's too decayed (few years!) to be properly brought back unless by the OP.

This post'll probably be struck down through iron, salt, blood, and power.

I don't really see the point of restarting it, it's not like people are going to be responding to really old posts in here and for something like this a long thread is almost better.

"I speak Arabic to God, Persian to my Court, Hindi to my women, and Turkic [Chagatai] to my horse" - usually attributed to Emperor Kabir I in 1845 when speaking in jest to the French Ambassador to the Exalted Court.

Last edited:
"The mud of Athens shall consume all steel and gold."

Omen of the Delphoi oracle*

Sources mention that the Spartans received said reply from the famous oracle when they sent envoys there to ask about the outcome of the Peloponnesian war in 431 BC. Initially, the Spartans interpeted it as a very favourable message, surmising that either a large natural catastrophe such as an earthquake would hit the city, one that would destroy both its forces and wealth, thus rendering them unable to put up resistance. Later on, when the plague hit Athens, the tombs opened in the winter mud in which many of the city's hoplites were buried, the pro-war faction in Sparta was quick to present this as the confirmation of the omen. However, the infamous duplicitous nature was a fact in this case as well; when Cleon, considered by many of his opponents as coming from the "mud and grass" of Athens, mocking the station and profession of his father, gained control of Athenian politics and forcing a more aggressive prosecution of the war, the "mud of Athens" managed to inflict a series of devastating defeats on the Spartans and their allies, despite the costs incurred: starting with Demosthenes campaigns that eliminated Corinthian presence in Akarnania and Leukada, the capture of Pylos and the successful operations that resulted in the capture of Megara and the neutralisation of Boeotia, all of which resulted in Sparta seeking peace from Athens in 423 BC. At the end, despite the economic burden ("the gold"), Cleon and his allies (the "mud"), had beaten the Spartan power embodied in its armies ("the steel") and forced its rival to give way.