Fallout: The Hot War (by Harry Turtledove)

You can take my word for it, the only real reason to read this book, or even continue on is for the utter and complete, laugh-out-loud and absurdly badly written, poorly-researched badness of it. Protip: B-29's didnt take off from Korea but from Japan :eek::rolleyes: Yes TU-4's were copies of B-29s and could, perhaps once, but not very likely twice let alone *Multiple* TIMES confuse or get passed US Air Defences. Do not waste your money on this book. If at all possible you must out of sheer curosity or for no other reason to see how awful HT has gotten then go to a library and see if thet have it.

As the list I linked shows, several Soviet positions have been in fact flattened.
Your link showed ~20-~40 bombs being used on <30 targets

The US warplans from '49 on called for 300 bombs on 100 targets in one wave if the balloon went up, and SAC could have probably done that, I could buy a 50% Soviet interception rate, barely, but not an 80+%

This not happening is OOC for the US of the time and for President Truman. The Soviet attacks in the book account for most of their arsenal at the time, the US attacks do not come close

I remember hearing there weren't that many B-36s available at the time (please correct me if I'm wrong)...but the problem with the book is that they weren't mentioned at all IIRC.

I remember hearing there weren't that many B-36s available at the time (please correct me if I'm wrong)...but the problem with the book is that they weren't mentioned at all IIRC.
Not many would be two bombardment wings, of 30 aircraft each, that were supposedly operational at the time. Of course given the large amount of modifying that went on a good number of aircraft could be serviceable at any given time. Still a single 10 plane squadron could account for all the US bombs described being used during the book

There are also 4 or 5 wings of 45 B-50's each available, most but not all nuclear capable, and quite better than the B-29

Using vanilla B-29's for nuclear delivery on the USSR itself with that many superior planes available is just dumb

In 1963 I was stationed at Barksdale AFB Hdqtrs 2nd Air Force. One of the Sargents I worked with was an airborne radar operator and tech. At that time he was a B-36 crew member. They got orders to fly to Japan. When they got there,
they parked their B-36's and became B-29 crewmembers. Their B-36's were parked in Japan for the duration. He didn't like bombing North Korean flying B-29's.