Fall of Constantinople 718

The whole peninsula, including the slavs settling there, if they smell blood in the water they would try something too
I think at this point the Slavs are well established in the Balkans for them to pack their things up and move to Italy, (fighting the Lombards on the way since north of Ravenna the only things the Romans had at this point was proto-Venice and a tiny sliver of Istria). They might threaten Dalmatia (what is left of it) or Thessalonika, I acknowledge that. But I doubt Italy would really care about Thessalonika at this point. On the other hand I could see someone in Italy trying to pull what Justinian II did in in Anatolia and call some Slavs to fight for the rump empire in exchange for permanent settlement in Italy. That would be one way to achieve some form of slavic settlement in the peninsula.

I think at this point the Slavs are well established in the Balkans for them to pack their things up and move to Italy, (fighting the Lombards on the way since north of Ravenna the only things the Romans had at this point was proto-Venice and a tiny sliver of Istria). They might threaten Dalmatia (what is left of it) or Thessalonika, I acknowledge that. But I doubt Italy would really care about Thessalonika at this point. On the other hand I could see someone in Italy trying to pull what Justinian II did in in Anatolia and call some Slavs to fight for the rump empire in exchange for permanent settlement in Italy. That would be one way to achieve some form of slavic settlement in the peninsula.
I thought slavs were there already, i was thinking a much later timeframe, they will try to jump into Dalmatia but seems would not a be a major threat them

I mean, given that the Griko are being culturally genocided by Italian nationalism and schooling a timeline where a Greek/Roman state maintains a solid hold in southern Italy would be really fun.

And far less depressing than real life. Kinda like timelines where the Comanche don't get assfucked by the US.
Would u be willing to tell me what you think would happen to the Comanche (or other indigenous people of Texas & new mexico) in a timeline I'm working on?

Constantinople falls as a result of the 717-718 siege by the Caliphate. How much of Eastern Europe is conquered as a result? Could a small Greek state hold out? (This has probably come up before, but I'm interested in new ideas).
I suspect that the Avars, Franks and any remnant of the Bulgar state that survives the Fall of Constantinople will likely forge an uneasy alliance. Assuming for the sake of discussion that the Caliphate is ruled by the Abbasids, the Ummayads could even join this alliance as there would still be bad blood between the dynasts.

If we follow this line, then the likely situation would be an army of Franks, Avars, Lombards with some Greek and Bulgar auxiliaries marching down the length of the Danube Riverto Sofya, then crossing the Balkan Range to attack Constantinople. As there would likely be a Byzantine resistance, the Abbasids would be tied down trying to suppress the uprising. Also, if one assumes that they had no immediate goal beyond capturing Constantinople, its likely the Abbasids might've transferred the bulk of their forces back east due to a nomadic incursion or revolt.

The ultimate outcome of the coming battle would depend on material logistics, military tactics used, who the commanders on both sides would be, etc. The battle could go either way, but IF the Christian allies win the battle and Byzantium is restored, its very likely the Byzantines would press for an advance into the Middle East to reclaim territory taken from them (its possible that the Franks would abandon them, not wishing to send their troops so far from home).

I suspect that the Avars, Franks and any remnant of the Bulgar state that survives the Fall of Constantinople will likely forge an uneasy alliance. Assuming for the sake of discussion that the Caliphate is ruled by the Abbasids, the Ummayads could even join this alliance as there would still be bad blood between the dynasts.

If we follow this line, then the likely situation would be an army of Franks, Avars, Lombards with some Greek and Bulgar auxiliaries marching down the length of the Danube Riverto Sofya, then crossing the Balkan Range to attack Constantinople. As there would likely be a Byzantine resistance, the Abbasids would be tied down trying to suppress the uprising. Also, if one assumes that they had no immediate goal beyond capturing Constantinople, its likely the Abbasids might've transferred the bulk of their forces back east due to a nomadic incursion or revolt.

The ultimate outcome of the coming battle would depend on material logistics, military tactics used, who the commanders on both sides would be, etc. The battle could go either way, but IF the Christian allies win the battle and Byzantium is restored, its very likely the Byzantines would press for an advance into the Middle East to reclaim territory taken from them (its possible that the Franks would abandon them, not wishing to send their troops so far from home).
Nickname check out but Butterflies dude, if anything the umayyds would be on charge and did there was a plan. Reach both the Greek archipelago and the Adriatic, meaning the next move would be the Italian peninsula