Eyes Turned Skywards

I'm not going to lie - the visual aids were a big help. Sometimes a picture really can be worth a thousand words.
Once again, thank you for your kind words. Since I've had a couple of comments on the art front, I've got something coming this weekend showing off some of the process. Sort of a bonus "making of" update.
But I also enjoyed how we're approaching the end of Part II with a bookend to how it started - the end of the "Vulkan Panic" period. The underdog United States is headed back on top, and the formerly dominant Soviets are losing ground once again. In a way, it cements the cyclical nature of the Space Race, though obviously with the Soviet Union apparently doomed as it was IOTL, that too will finally come to an end. But what a fun roller-coaster ride while it lasted! And Freedom certainly has an appropriate name, what with it standing as a singular triumph for the First World.
You make an interesting comment on the cyclic nature of the Space Race ITTL. I hadn't quite looked at that way, but it's a good way of phrasing it, and that might be something of how it ends up being viewed by the public--much less routine or boring, and thus more apt to have more than a peripheral awareness to the general public. Which, of course, has impact on support for the space program.

Also, speaking of how things might be viewed in culture and the end of Part II, this is probably a good time to mention that the Brainbin has once again offered to pitch in again with helping out on the side of putting space developments into a more global context through the lens of pop culture. I'd like to just remind people of the excellent work he's done with that in Part I and Part II, and say how lucky I feel that he's willing to come back and give us a hand again. I've enjoyed working on those in the past with him before, and from our discussions so far about potential material for Part III's interlude, there should be a lot of interesting stuff up for the 90s.

(Also, as long as I'm thanking people and promoting their work, I'd like to thank Michel Van for his maintenance of the wiki's post outline updated every week. It's a big help in the preparation of the TL to be able to easily reference past posts like that, as well as the other technical stuff on there. I think you guys would have to try hard to get more use out of the update list and tech specs than truth is life and I do. So thanks for that, Michel.)

Back to topic though, E has already said that having TTL's Mir incomplete was a deliberate move to illustrate the final results of the End of the Cold War - leaving the USA as the sole Superpower of TTL. And I'll add this. It works. Flawlessly.
Speaking of director commentary, that was a deliberate thing in this update when it was written, but the decision to write it that way was commentator-inspired. Look here, and read on. Note at the time, I was planning on having the station finished, and you guys basically came up with having it incomplete. I liked the parallel, so it got written in. Never say I don't listen when ideas commentators suggest alternatives that work with what we have planned. ;) Also, you have no one but yourselves to blame for Mir's second MOK and fourth DOS staying on the ground. You especially, Bahamut, since you basically guessed the final configuration! Care to revisit one of your other Mir predictions?

In short. All four Labs + No second MOK = they're Screwed, IMHO.

Hmmm...interesting indeed. :p What about just three labs and no second MOK? Care to speculate on that?

Oh! And on one final note, I just noticed that this marks the 1200th reply to the thread, and next update will probably see us hit 150,000 views. I'm still a bit amazed every time I see those counts--when we first started posting Part I, I thought we'd be lucky to get a comment or two an update. For Part II, we've been averaging more like 20, and a good 2k+ views. That show of support means a lot both to truth is life and to me. So...thanks for that to all of you for making it happen every week. We wouldn't be working so hard on Part III if we didn't get that support.

Last edited:
Hello Bahamut,

When Sputnik 1 was launched, it was on top of the R7 ICBM. A massively over-design rocket built that way since staging was still something they had little to no experience with at the time, on top of the unreliability of rocket engines at the time - about 50% IIRC - requiring that they fire all the engines while it was still on the launch pad.

This immense over-design meant that upgrading the R7 for Vostok, Voskhod, and then Soyuz was actually a rather simple affair, which allowed them to score their early firsts - on top of a much greater willingness to take massive risks.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right.

And it helps show that what successes the Soviets *did* score, it was when they played to their few strengths. Because the military ran pretty much everything over there, they had no compunction about piggybacking on the best lifters they had. Meanwhile, NACA/NASA was putzing around with small budgets and and struggling to build a workable launch vehicle at all. Ultimately, they were forced to fall back on military launchers, first to get Vanguard up, and then to get Mercury capsules into orbit. But valuable time had been wasted before they acceded to the inevitable.

But it also meant that NASA knew it had to start sooner on a launch vehicle for a moonshot.

And all that time, we had no idea what kind of crazy risks they were taking (the kind of risks that a totalitarian dictatorship can get away with), nor what kind of problems they encountered along the way, thanks to their propaganda and our lack of penetration of their security. Again, think of Leonov's spacewalk.

When I think of Apollo, I stand in awe of what NASA was able to accomplish, how quickly it accomplished it, and what stunning risks it took doing it. But when I think of the Soviet program under Korolev and Mishin, and what conditions *it* had to operate under . . . it goes beyond awe.

Hello e of pi,

Speaking of director commentary, that was a deliberate thing in this update when it was written, but the decision to write it that way was commentator-inspired. Look here, and read on. Note at the time, I was planning on having the station finished, and you guys basically came up with having it incomplete. I liked the parallel, so it got written in. Never say I don't listen when ideas commentators suggest alternatives that work with what we have planned. Also, you have no one but yourselves to blame for Mir's second MOK and fourth DOS staying on the ground. You especially, Bahamut, since you basically guessed the final configuration!

Actually, you know, I didn't want to say this, given what a great job you guys did on this last post...but I think you gave up too easily on finishing Mir.

So you have Glushko hitting the panic button as early as 1988,struggling to get funding to finish his station. He ends up with just 3 DOS labs, apparently by promising his firstborn to the Central Committee, and then finito by April 1989. That's it.

Now, in our timeline...Mir phase 2 saw Kvant added in November 1989, and Kristall even later, in May 1990 - six months after the Berlin Wall fell! So in our timeline, the pinch didn't really hit hard until 1990. Here, you've got Glushko up against the funding wall two years before that. Just when Glasnost was starting to hit full steam, and even before the Afghan pullout.

Now, obviously YOUR Mir is a more ambitious station than our Mir, so that has to be factored in. OTOH, that timeline doesn't have the funding sinkhole that is Buran soaking up resources, either. The USSR was in its 12th Five Year Plan in 1985-1990, and these things were budgeted out in advance accordingly; of course, Gorbachev was notorious for fiddling with the Plan, changing things up. There are butterflies here, I'm sure...but it seems to me that you're positing a slightly more rapid decay of the Soviet system than in our timeline? Because otherwise, it seems to me they have a window still to get that second MOK module up, unless there really are technical issues dragging it out.

Last edited:
Actually, you know, I didn't want to say this, given what a great job you guys did on this last post...but I think you gave up too easily on finishing Mir.

So you have Glushko hitting the panic button as early as 1988,struggling to get funding to finish his station. He ends up with just 3 DOS labs, apparently by promising his firstborn to the Central Committee, and then finito by April 1989. That's it.

~120 Tonnes of Labs vs ~84 Tonnes of Station by the time of the USSR Collapse. Plus OTL Mir was very alike to the Salyut series and as such, the Modular design was the only really new part. Whereas TTL Mir has a lot of new systems IIRC, which would crank up the costs.

In addition, OTL Mir was only designed to last five years - even if it did hold out for 15, if only just - against TTL's Mir would appear to be designed to last a minimum of 10-15. That greater design life will make it pricey to even build.

Now, in our timeline...Mir phase 2 saw Kvant added in November 1989, and Kristall even later, in May 1990 - six months after the Berlin Wall fell! So in our timeline, the pinch didn't really hit hard until 1990. Here, you've got Glushko up against the funding wall two years before that. Just when Glasnost was starting to hit full steam, and even before the Afghan pullout.

I would think there was a major pinch in funding prior to 1990. Plus, IIRC, Kvant-2 and Kristall were launched way behind schedule on account of funding woes.

Now, obviously YOUR Mir is a more ambitious station than our Mir, so that has to be factored in. OTOH, that timeline doesn't have the funding sinkhole that is Buran soaking up resources, either. The USSR was in its 12th Five Year Plan in 1985-1990, and these things were budgeted out in advance accordingly; of course, Gorbachev was notorious for fiddling with the Plan, changing things up. There are butterflies here, I'm sure...but it seems to me that you're positing a slightly more rapid decay of the Soviet system than in our timeline? Because otherwise, it seems to me they have a window still to get that second MOK module up, unless there really are technical issues dragging it out.

Not really a more rapid USSR Decay, but TTL Mir is not only far more ambitious, but is serviced by Chelomei's 17,500 Kg TKS. As opposed to OTL Mir which used the ~7,200 Kg Soyuz and Progress. This would make not only launching the hardware far more expensive than OTL Mir, but servicing it as well, both in terms of Crew Transfers and Re-Supplying the Station with Spares and Consumables.

One reason Mir stayed up as long as it did was that with the abandonment of Energia/Buran, they had the vital funding needed to keep it up. ITTL, they don't really have that option - in terms of giving up one major manned programme to sustain another.

Last edited:
Not really a more rapid USSR Decay, but TTL Mir is not only far more ambitious, but is serviced by Chelomei's 17,500 Kg TKS. As opposed to OTL Mir which used the ~7,200 Kg Soyuz and Progress. This would make not only launching the hardware far more expensive than OTL Mir, but servicing it as well, both in terms of Crew Transfers and Re-Supplying the Station with Spares and Consumables.
Not only that, but Mir's designed for a crew of 12--even through 1989 it's supporting 6. That's double OTL's crew size, which also impacts logistics requirements, as does the larger mass of the station, the larger mass of the supply vehicles, and more.

This is basically what Glushko looks at: if he cut Mir operations to the bone, reducing crew size to three or even going to man-tending, he might be able to find the funds to finish the last MOK and launch it. Maybe. But he probably won't be able to find funds to support a crew of 12, and maybe not even 9, and then he'd be stuck with an even larger station to maintain. As 1988 and early 1989 go on, its becoming clear that a miracle isn't going to occurs: the situation is getting worse, not better.

Based on this reading of the situation, he reluctantly cedes the second MOK to gain a station capable of supporting 9 that he might actually be able to support from a logistics stance if he pulls a lucky break. Leaving of the fourth DOS lab minimizes additional size he has to pay to keep reboosted and power he can't really spare without the second MOK. And of course, it's not like the second MOK is gone--if things do miraculously end up rosier, he can always launch it later, right? He's got no great options, so he's trying to make the best of the ones he has--stopping short like this gains a mostly-operational, sustainable station, as opposed to burning all his influence getting the whole station flown and being left unable to make use of it.

I have a question about the basic scheme for the Apollo craft, in their various generations, to rendezvous with their successive space stations--Skylab, Spacelab, now Freedom.

It's prompted by a remark I read in some space history by a Gemini/Apollo astronaut, referring to the years before the actual Lunar missions. He said that in real life, the orbital launches of the 1960s, at least the manned Geminis and Apollos, never reached a precise, pre-determined orbit. They just fired the rocket and hoped to reach an orbit somewhere in the close ballpark of what the mission plan called for. They'd be off the nominal planned altitude by miles, maybe tens of miles, and off the nominal inclination by I don't know how much, it couldn't be much worse than a degree I guess. Then presumably in all the missions that required rendezvous of some kind, such as the one when two Geminis flew in close formation, or meeting with previously launched objects such as the famous "alligator" Agena spent upper stage with the fairing not quite detached, I guess they had to use their onboard transstage or SM to maneuver into the right orbit.

If that kind of thing was still going on during the moonshots, I suppose either they again had to correct the orbit (not so likely when it involved firing the Saturn V upper stage) or simply adjust the calculations for the translunar injection for the orbit they were actually in.

Here's the thing--starting with Skylab, the name of the game now is to rendezvous with a station in a fixed orbit (subject to corrective thrusts). All kinds of things besides planned orbital corrections are always perturbing that orbit from the ideal Newtonian ellipse--residual atmospheric drag, light pressure, the irregularities of Earth's own gravitational field, Lunar and Solar tides, Jupiter, Venus, micrometeoroid impacts, solar wind, and even its own thermal emissions! But these factors can be anticipated to an extent, and closely watched and corrected for, and so the station is in a pretty closely determined location and on a closely determined vector at any projected future time.

So the question is--as NASA gets cumulative experience under its belt, do the launches go into more and more precisely pre-determined orbits to optimize interception of the station?

With the Block III launches, it might seem ideal to launch at just the most precise window moment to put the craft onto a rising elliptical orbit that just intercepts the passing station, then only a small correction is needed to circularize it right there and come in directly to dock. Better yet, put it into the exact almost circular orbit of the station itself, just behind it. That brings the spent upper stage into the near proximity of the station, which is not so good I guess. Also, the time window for such a launch is very critical.

To relax the time window a bit, we might want to instead launch to a significantly lower orbit, with the orbital injection completed while the craft is well behind the station, and let the faster orbital speed of the lower orbit bring it gradually to the point where an ideal Hohmann transfer ellipse orbit would start to bring it to rendezvous--the SM has to do the burn to do that, and also a second burn to circularize near the station, but it leaves the spent upper Saturn 1C stage safely far away and buys a time buffer for launch holds and misalignments of the actual achieved orbit--at the cost of not only propellent but also time in orbit before reaching the station.

With the advent of the Block III+, we also have to allow more time for the CSM to undock from the spent upper stage and turn around to dock with the MM and pull it out of the upper stage housing it is in. And that time has to allow for the possibility of go-arounds if the first attempt at docking misses--Michel Van recently commented that OTL Apollo 14 required 4 tries to secure the LM!

So I'm guessing that while the capabilities of the various versions of Multibody are given in terms of mass to a given orbit (from Cape Canaveral) what actually happens is, all the launches go to a somewhat lower orbit, which would imply a bit more mass capability--but also that that mass includes SM propellant that will be used up in orbital transfers.

If having the spent upper stage pretty near the station is not a problem, then the launches might still conceivably be very precise and put the Apollo quite near the station's own orbit, if that kind of precision can be attained. And then it can do the MM retrieval and mosey over 10 or 100 kilometers to the station (I always visualize it with the Apollo trailing the station but I suppose it could be leading it too). In a frame that is moving with the two spacecraft, that is a rotating frame relative to the core of the Earth, one has to account for Coriolis force in boosting up to the final approach, and I suppose for purposes of keeping the propellent consumption moderate to reserve as much as possible for late mission contingencies, I suppose the delta-V from such a near-neighborhood, very nearly matched orbit would be about 10 meters a second or so, then a ten kilometer journey would take about 20 minutes and a 100 km one several hours, requiring a braking thrust when it comes close to the station of course. I don't think the Coriolis correction would be very dramatic on such a sedate trip--of course several hours corresponds to a couple orbits around Earth, so I could be pretty off in my guess.

What I'm trying to get at here are the related questions:

1) how precisely does NASA attempt to match the Apollo parking orbit to the station's on the initial launch?

2) how long is the transit from parking orbit to station rendezvous? Days, hours, minutes?

3) how much of the SM's propellent is expected to be used up in a nominal mission on maneuvering from parking orbit to the station?

I presume that the main preoccupation in determining fuel load for a mission is providing enough propellent to guarantee a safe deorbit from the station to the desired reentry trajectory. And that the mass of the Apollo, even a Block III+ or IV, that could in principle leave the MM behind, is substantially the same as the launch mass (minus propellent already used up) because NASA has no plans to repurpose used MMs--except as garbage dumpsters! I have only come to appreciate fairly recently (some years before I joined the site I think, but certainly this thread has hammered it into my head that much more firmly) that getting rid of used junk in space is a serious mission consideration; one cannot simply toss stuff out, it will come back to haunt you and all future astronauts as space junk. So the MMs will be packed full of refuse, and the Apollo still needs to boost its mass down to a reentry trajectory where it burns up safely in the atmosphere; this will be pretty close to the desired trajectory for the CM to come in on, so it's "on the way," but it does multiply the propellant mass needed to deorbit by a small but significant number. Also one routinely puts in safety factors.

So the mission planners have to guarantee that the Apollo has a certain minimum amount of fuel after it has docked to the station--in some unfortunate contingency where an unexpectedly large amount was used up coming up, one might scant the amount of trash stashed in the MM to lower its mass, or even possibly skip deorbiting the MM completely, planning to for instance use a future AARDV mission to push it off for disposal later. But that would not be desired, so the plan is, to have enough fuel at launch so these fallbacks are not needed.

That's why I suppose there would be a rather keen interest in using the Saturn 1C or Multibody launcher to put the Apollo as close to the station as possible--bearing in mind this makes the launch window tight.

So I've been trying to trade these factors off in my head, but I throw my hands up and ask, how do you the authors think the tradeoff works out? Do they launch to an orbit miles below and catch up and then do a two-burn to rendezvous, aim for a co-orbit and a short trip over once they've got the MM, or what? And how do the times and fuel burns work out, nominally?

I estimate it would take about 455 kg of propellant, given that the TR-201 engine has an ISP of 301 seconds, to deorbit a Block III CSM of dry mass of 11,200 kg from a 400 km orbit (assuming the desired descent orbit is basically one with perigee on Earth's surface itself--if actually the right angle of atmospheric entry is achieved with a higher perigee we need less than 118 m/sec delta-V, if it is even lower we need more, but not I'd think a whole lot of variation either way). Also of course the CSM is not quite "dry," it has the astronauts themselves, their spacesuits and supplies, plus anything they are bringing down from the station with them, and we have fuel reserves in the SM too. Adding a bit over a fifth brings us up to 600 kg; the implication is either we need a huge safety factor in propellant, well over a factor of 2, or we use up a really significant amount of propellant in going from parking orbit to docking with the station, since the nominal propellant load is 1600 kg!

For a Block III+, assuming we have loaded the MM with junk equal in mass to the useful supplies and equipment it brought up, we add 4 tonnes to that, over a third, so if 600 kg gave adequate safety margin to deorbit a Block III, now we need more like 814, or more than half the total nominal fuel load. Whereas before the Block III had a whole tonne of fuel to spend on orbital maneuvering early in the mission (assuming 600 kg was really adequate to get home at the end) now it has less than 800, and has to boost a mass one third larger--so its delta-V available for getting up from a parking orbit to meet the station is down to about 60 percent. The Block IV adds 400 kg of fuel, but also another 3 tonnes of mass, counting cargo, so I think the margins get still tighter. And this is from the lower end of Freedom's altitude range, it orbits a bit higher most of the time.

I'm thinking then, that in the early days post-Skylab, the margin for climbing up to the station from a lower parking orbit was fairly large, and the launches aimed fairly low to give the two craft a lot of elbow room and margins for error. But as the mass of the spacecraft rises while the propellant reserve rises only a bit and in the very latest stage of development, NASA is called upon to use the launch vehicle to push them to much closer initial parking orbits, to conserve the need for propellant and reserve it as much as possible for the final reentry burn.

on Shevek23 questions

the Mercury and Vostok/Voskhod were just launch in Orbit, with only parameter to fall down after some days.

but Gemini III was the first Manned spacecraft to correct it's orbit, pioneer the most complex task of rendezvous another Spacecraft.
With Apollo the Saturn Family got then newest Autopilot (IU) of it time, it auto correct during flight it's course bringing Apollo CSM/LM to Moon perfect.

you remarks how Block III flights to Spacelab, match most the CSM Skylab approach and Docking.

1. NASA knows were the station is in sky, thanks to Radar and computer calculation, they know wen the next launch time window comes.
2. that more complex:
on ISS it take Soyuz/shuttle 3 days on lower orbit, now ISS on it higher Orbit. Soyuz needed only some hours from launch to Dock
Skylab CSM needed 6 hours to get to Skylab station
3. Skylab CSM was launch into 357 by 156 km orbit, then it mach to 424 by 415 km orbit with four maneuvers.

You quit right on return of Block III CSM after Mission.
the RCS is also a Backup in case of malfunction on Main engine,

on Block III+ here the new generation of Saturn Multibody must bring the CSM/MM in higher park orbit,
to pull MM out S-IVB and move it to Freedom

So I promised to give a little look into the process that went into the images, and here's what I've got, for those of you who might have been curious. The two main programs I use for working on these are Autodesk Inventor (for the modeling) and Adobe Fireworks (for the post-processing). In all honesty, these are both overkill for what I do, and expensive, but my school gives me a free license to Inventor and trained me on it, while I've been using Fireworks for about 4 years. With both, I'm just more comfortable with them then I am with freeware like Sketchup or Paint.net which could probably do a lot of the same stuff.

Anyway, the process for me starts with modeling a given component, for instance the Challenger HSM, using a combination of various operations. Basically, I can take a sketch and rotate it to create a solid, extrude it to make a solid, loft it to make solids...and so on. This shows the HSM (in its "one-wing" configuration) and the list of operations creating it in Inventor. This is a rather complex module, models like the labs are much simpler (revolve the base shape, extrude a docking pot, and bam--done). One of the trickiest modules, actually, was the cupola, because of the odd shape.

ChallengerCoreOpsList_zps6c781aa2.png

Once I have a part created, I can then add it to assemblies of multiple parts, each their own editable file, and build them up. This is how I'm able to show Freedom and Mir in various states of assembly--I can just add or remove modules as necessary once I've modeled them once. I can assemble by matching parts to specific faces, axes, or points to lock them relative to one another. This image shows all the parts that go into Freedom--and yes, adding the constraints for all 16 independently rotating solar arrays is no fun at all. Sometimes I think I might be nuts for choosing to model it like that. Note that there's three variants of the HSM, one for each position of the "keep-alive" panels. Thus are just extruded as part of the model, not articulated, hence the need.

FreedomAllParts_zps9e814a68.png

Anyway, once I've assembled the model, I can then rotate it to take screenshots of the station or components. If I'm going to be compositing it with some other elements, I need to have a way to easily extract it from the background--a lot of the modules are pretty close to the default greyscale background. Hence, greenscreen!

FreedomFromAutoCAD_zps0b462b24.png

With this, I can copy a screenshot into Fireworks. This image is actually a screenshot (processed in Fireworks) of a screenshot being processed in Fireworks for extra meta--note that I use two monitors, you can see I've shoved Inventor onto the other screen while I worked on the file on my main monitor.

IntoFireworks_zps712bceb4.png

With it into Fireworks, the real image work can start. First, I use a magic lasso (a tool that grabs anything within a certain color range of the color value of a selected pixel) to easily grab the entire background...

CroppedandSelected_zpsbbe43bbf.png

...and delete. The background canvas here was set to black, and it now shows through around the station.

Isolated_zps99cd3ec5.png

If I was making a simple image like the "in orbit" images, I could then paste this in front of an appropriate background, then add blurs and other effects to fit it into the image. But this wasn't grabbed for that. Thus, the first step for this was to add a greyscale mask, converting the image from color to just shades of grey.

Masked_zps6d51f63f.png

I did a similar process with Mir, and inserted the two into a document along with a larger version of the moon-and-ISS image I used as the base for Triple Moons. This file was absolutely huge--I think the canvas was about 3000 pixels wide.

BothStationsInserted_zps19b162c7.png

I scaled down the stations to match ISS's relative size for the "actual unzoomed" parts...

TinyStationsadded_zpsce0f97d1.png

I then fiddled with the light balance of the greyscale masks to make Mir look like it was shadowed and Freedom like it was glowing. I didn't quite match the effect of the original ISS shot, but I think it worked pretty well.

MessingwithSaturation_zps4abf896b.png

I then added the same effect and some motion blur to the "zoomed-in" stations, drew some more boxes, and some lines, and then rescaled it to a more reasonable size to produce the following: what I hope are desktop-suitable version of Triple Moons in 16:9, 5:4, and 4:3 aspect ratio. I hope you all enjoyed this look at the Eyes imaging process, and are looking forward to tomorrow's update as much as I'm looking forward to the discussion!

ReasonableSize16-9_zpsd6f45c34.png

ReasonableSize5-4_zpsf49a0158.png

ReasonableSize4-3_zps5885683b.png

Well that process looks to be beyond the limits of what my Laptop can handle - it's getting on for six years old - and what I can do art-wise. But damn, that is a lot of work going into those images. No wonder you waited 'til you got it just right.

Part II: Post 26: Which way to go? The struggle for a US space program under NASA, the Lunar Society and the National Space Organization
Sorry for the delay this week, homework's been a bit of a pain lately. Anyway, this week, we're returning to the public case for space with another look at the field of space advocacy and the organizations involved. 1209 replies, 149574 views.

Eyes Turned Skyward, Part II: Post #26

Unfortunately for enthusiasts of spaceflight in the late 1970s, the outlook for space had gotten no more friendly since the early part of the decade. Nixon, at least, had been a huge fan of the astronauts, and Agnew was as much infatuated with spaceflight as any member of the Lunar Society or the National Space Organization; Carter, on the other hand, was a Georgia peanut farmer, having as little interest in space as anyone else meeting that description might be expected to, while Mondale was actively hostile towards NASA. Congress was no more interested in massive space programs than it had been earlier in the decade, and while Lunar Society advocates, many of them decidedly...odd...enthusiastically promoted the plan, politicians fixated on the probable price tag of hundreds of billions or trillions of dollars. No matter that it would be spent mostly in the future, with less valuable dollars than were being spent today; there was little tangible return (would not nuclear or renewable energy provide perfectly abundant power at no more cost?), plenty of risks both technical and otherwise, and a general hostility towards "nutty," "science fiction" space projects among the senior leadership. NASA began to feel the same pressure, and the studies of space colonization which had briefly blossomed quickly died, their funding cut or redirected towards more modest goals under the direction of management eager to avoid hostile political attention generated by something which was clearly infeasible in the near term.

Together, these responses brought into the open a growing strand of opinion among members of the Lunar Society that government was not the way to turn in developing space. Inspired by the description by O'Neill of his colonies as being free, open lands, the growth of libertarianism in the United States, and an influx of right-wing, generally libertarian science-fiction writers like Robert Heinlein and Jerry Pournelle into the Society, many began to believe that instead private industry could be relied upon to forge the path ahead. Oh, not all at once, of course, but many of the key steps, particularly developing cheap lift, seemed amenable to private solutions. And in the heady air of the late 1970s and early 1980s, when the satellite market was experiencing its first major boom, private solutions seemed to be behind every bush. Government might have been moribund, trapped behind walls of political skepticism, but private industry was exploding with concepts. Everything between Gary Hudson's single-stage to orbit "airplanes" (seemingly modeled after Phil Bono's 1960s concepts for the ROMBUS mega-booster, although greatly scaled down) to Kaysar's OTRAG ultra-simple parallel-staged pressure-fed booster was proposed, and while almost all of them got nowhere it seemed a fertile ground for space enthusiasts interested in private ventures.

Thus, while the National Space Organization continued to promote government-funded and developed space access methods and space programs, the Lunar Society had become skeptical of the ability of government to promote space exploration. Their call was for NASA, and to a lesser extent the Air Force, to step out of the way of private industry. No longer would any business looking to launch a satellite need to get permission from NASA and arrange launches through NASA, eventually launching aboard a NASA-owned and operated rocket; instead, they would merely contract with a private firm which would handle everything itself, in a similar fashion to the way in which a company needing to ship products overseas can simply contract with a myriad of private shipping firms, rather than needing to go through the Navy. While most members conceded that there might be a role for NASA in conducting non-profitable activities like astronomy or space exploration, and that government might be effectively employed in subsidizing or regulating space activities, the more hardline members denied even these relatively modest sentiments, insisting on private space development and private space exploration.

Even the emergence of Vulkan onto the scene in 1982 did little to change these sentiments, at least in public, instead merely hardening them. The Lunar Society and National Space Organization sharply differed on what the proper response by the American government, and society more generally, ought to be. The Lunar Society proposed a radical deregulation of the space environment, the withdrawal of NASA and the Air Force from the space launch business, and a focus on “making space safe for business” more generally, all with the long-term goal of colonizing the Moon and circum-Earth space as Dr. O’Neill had proposed. More radical members even argued that if such measures had been in place before the “crisis,” it could have been avoided altogether, indeed perhaps the Soviets would be envying American space technology rather than the reverse. By contrast, the National Space Organization put forth a rather tepid call for increased funding to NASA, leading to (unspecified) space exploration missions. Although expected from the NSO, given its origins, this statement actually masked the beginnings of an intense political battle within the organization that would end with Sagan effectively being removed from the NSO’s leadership.

The basic issue was that, as far away from each other as the Lunar Society and National Space Organization might have been on paper, in practice many members of one were also members of the other. After all, one might believe both in the idealistic long-term colonization dreams of O’Neill and the more practical, short-term vision of a vigorous NASA put forth by the NSO. On a local level, many enthusiasts were content to interact with anyone else who was interested in space, happy to have found anyone else to carry on a niche hobby with, and created locals that effectively served both organizations simultaneously. As such, there was actually substantial cross-pollination of thought between the two organizations. Many members of the Lunar Society, while they might have favored increased privatization of space, were not necessarily opposed to NASA, or to increased NASA budgets per se. Contrariwise, many of the members of the National Space Organization were in tune with the somewhat defensive and libertarian mindset of the Lunar Society, and might have thought that there were areas where private organizations would work better than NASA.

This came to a head as the NSO struggled to craft a response to the sudden increase in attention prompted by Vulkan. Sagan, and the clique that had formed around him, favored increased funding to robotic exploration and a joint mission with the Soviet Union, probably to Mars, as the centerpieces of any new NASA program, while many of the rank-and-file, together with a few elements of the leadership on the outs with Sagan, favored a more aggressive and competitive response that would see NASA going it alone, or with token involvement from ESA, and with a focus mainly on expanded human spaceflight. Thus, Vulkan’s launch had sparked a conflict between two factions which, while perhaps differing in views, could otherwise have gotten along with each other indefinitely. The result was a no-holds barred, stand-up fight between Sagan, the Great Communicator of space, and less charismatic but more in-tune members. Sagan’s life, however, did not revolve entirely around the NSO, as he was becoming more interested in scientific education, skepticism, and other non-NSO activities. Perhaps he was also becoming somewhat tired of an organization he had led for the past half-decade as well, as his fight to remain in the top spot seemed to be less vigorous and energetic than might have been expected from someone so intimately tied with space exploration, not just in his leadership of the NSO but in his previous career. After a year of warfare in the boardrooms and the backrooms of the organization, a compromise was reached: Sagan would be “promoted” to Executive Director, effectively removing him from the leadership but allowing the organization to retain his image for fundraising and publicity campaigns. Sagan would be free to undertake other activities, with only nominal responsibilities to the NSO, while his opponents would be largely free to run the organization as they saw fit.

With Sagan’s effective removal from the NSO, the organization promptly adopted a “strategic plan” outlining where it wanted the United States to go in spaceflight over the next several decades. Unsurprisingly, given the views of the faction that had won the internal battle, it congratulated the Freedom effort, called for a commitment to a humans-to-Mars mission by 2001, and argued for a greatly increased NASA budget and range of activities. Present, but relegated to a secondary priority were commercial activities, where the NSO commended efforts to construct a private launch market and the beginnings of a private satellite market. It also called for NASA to increase R&D funding on technologies that might be beneficial to private operators, such as reusable launch vehicles, but otherwise remained largely silent on interactions between government and commercial space operations. To accompany this strategic plan were a series of NSO-funded studies of various space exploration possibilities, mostly geared towards advocating a Mars mission.

This was the most visible expression to date of a rebirth of interest in Mars exploration among space enthusiasts. Mars, while always the ultimate relatively “near-term” destination for those interested in space exploration, equally always has gone through peaks and troughs of interest. In the wake of the Viking missions, interest had plunged from a peak generated by Mariner 9 to a severe trough, as their inability to find life cooled interest in the Red Planet for the time being. By the early 1980s, though, the initial disappointment had bounced back, as advocates consoled themselves with the thought that the landers simply hadn’t looked in the right places to find life. Combined with the arrival of the Soviet Mars 9 and American Pioneer Mars orbiters, the rebirth of interest in Mars expeditions was perhaps inevitable. Communicating through word-of-mouth and other “underground” methods, a tightly bound network of Mars enthusiasts, often members of the wider aerospace or space advocacy community, slowly grew up in the early part of the decade, assisted by a series of conferences on the topic of human exploration of Mars organized by some of the most enterprising members. Interest only increased, both among those already predisposed towards space exploration and the general public as the Vulkan Panic burst onto the scene; of particular concern was the large size of the Vulkan, with many concluding that this was intended to allow the Soviets to conduct a Mars mission relatively soon. This directly spurred the resumption of planning for humans-to-Mars missions at NASA, which was asked by Congress and the Reagan Administration to prepare a response in the event that the Reds did indeed want to reach the Red Planet, as well as more general beyond-Earth-orbit planning for the post-Freedom period.

Many of the formerly-underground Mars boosters would play a role in these studies, or would prepare similar studies of their own in response to NASA's. As time passed, one in particular began to stand out from the crowd, one Robert Zubrin. Zubrin was passionate, charismatic, blunt, and outspoken about what spaceflight needed. An active member of the Boulder chapters of both the Lunar Society and the National Space Organization, he organized several small-scale meetings about Mars mission planning involving interested members of those chapters while working on a masters in aerospace engineering at the University of Colorado, Boulder. A number of the recommendations from these meetings flowed up to the analysis being performed for the National Space Organization’s overall planning Immediately after graduating, he was hired as an engineer at Lockheed’s nearby Titan production facility, a role to which he took well, earning a series of promotions. In the meantime, he continued his activities in space advocacy, in which he took a gradually more hardline position advocating Mars and denigrating large, bureaucratic national programs, a stance doubtlessly fueled by his position at the largest and most successful commercial space company in the country. His views were widely propagated in the official publications of both the National Space Organization and the Lunar Society, creating a growing nucleus of people who saw not the Moon and not exploration for its own sake but Mars as the next logical destination for human spaceflight.

As the decade grew to a close, then, three strands of opinion were emerging in the space advocacy community. First, there were those who wished for humanity to spread into and colonize space--not just sometime in the future, but now. The limitless opportunities--business opportunities--of space needed to be exploited, and not by the government. Second, there were those who were less concerned with immediately colonizing space but who still desired a program more active than circling the Earth in a station, never venturing beyond. Finally, within the organizations representing both camps there was a bubbling camp of discontents who agreed, in part, with both positions, but whose real passion was the Red Planet. Perhaps this situation would have continued to some new equilibrium if it were not for the fact that NASA’s activity, largely neglected through all of this, would shortly toss a bombshell into future planning...

Means in Part III they will be Manned Mission to Mars ? :cool:

Will be Bill Clinton US President in this TL ?
i thinking on large scale liberation on Commercial Space Flights under his presidency in 1990s
i play with this for Titan V and Atlas IV & co in My TL Ronald Reagan's Space Exploration Initiative.
for moment i found my launch system for Manned Mars mission (here Robert Zubrin get a job at Boeing)
this Boeing HLLV is based on 5x ET and 27x SSME

hllv3-1024x664.gif

i thinking on large scale liberation on Commercial Space Flights under his presidency in 1990s
i play with this for Titan V and Atlas IV & co in My TL Ronald Reagan's Space Exploration Initiative.

I don't think that would ever feature ITTL, not least since there are no SSME or RS-68 engines thanks to there being no STS here.

Now some sort of Saturn-derived LV is far more likely, not least since most of the tech they need is already in use. i.e. F-1A, J-2S.

Most realistically, I would see the ability to wrap more Core Stages around the Saturn MultiBody if you wanna go with Direct throw, with no EOR. But by this point, Earth-Orbit Assembly has been proven to work, and so I'd expect them to go with EOR to keep the Development Costs down, even if the cost builds up over time. To which I've already devised two possible means of returning to the Moon, both of which involve LOR - the difference lying in how many Saturn H03s are used. To which Apollo is already well suited for, even if it needs a Block V variant to support it.

None of which I see happening in the 1990's on account of NASA Financial Mismanagement. E has already hinted that NASA is rather wasteful of its resources some time ago - a few months IIRC - which has been masked by it's massive funding increases over the 80's. Once it comes into the fore, with the collapse of the USSR, I'm guessing there won't be too many happy people around.

So I'd wager that the bulk of the 90's is taken up by NASA having to learn to live with a smaller budget again, and having to learn ways of making the funds that they do have go further.

Incidentally, the same should apply to TTL's ESA as well. German Reunification IOTL was so expensive for Germany, that they had to slash there contributions to ESA, which saw a major reduction in their budget - and I see no reason for it to not happen here as well. Even with the UK as an active player, times are gonna be lean for them as well.

In short, a Decade of Limits awaits.

for moment i found my launch system for Manned Mars mission (here Robert Zubrin get a job at Boeing)
this Boeing HLLV is based on 5x ET and 27x SSME

hllv3-1024x664.gif

Ouch! That one is butt ugly. Boeing Kerbal Division?

Ouch! That one is butt ugly. Boeing Kerbal Division?

Maybe, but irrelevant. Not only because Shuttle-Derived Tech won't even exist ITTL, but I seriously doubt they have the means to transport 14 metre diameter pieces. 10.06 cm is the best they've accomplished with the Saturn S-1C and S-II - well, 33 ft (396 in) to be exact.

Re-using whatever materials, tooling, and facilities are available is a critical means of controlling the Development Costs in any new system. On account of not having to make any new ones from scratch.

On the matter of financial issues, there's Japan to consider. ITOL, the Property Bubble Crash of '89 IIRC combined with ramping up the Interest Rates resulted in Japan experiencing a Lost Decade as their Economy was essentially Flat throughout the 90's & 00's with Deflation making things worse.

I suspect things will be rather similar here as well, which will seriously curtail their Space Ambitions, same as with ESA.

As I said, I believe that a Decade of Limits will be the way to describe the 1990's ITTL.

EDIT: 150,014 Views as of now! :D

Last edited:
Hmmmm... Something that pretty much forces the nations to get a bit more on space exploration?

Like an asteroid coming in for a quick hit and crash?

Ohhh, yes the Property Bubble Crash was a Disaster for Japan.

NASDA and NAL were the first victims of budget cuts.
the manned program HOPE got shot down, next the GX rocket.
and then were ignored during 1990s, except running programs like JEM, Space probe and "getting the bugs out the H-II rocket"
to make things worst the new Government was formed by "Right Wing" politicians after 2000
who focus on modernization of Japanese Military and focus the Japanese Space program also on that.
like launching Spy Sats in orbit and the use of M-V launch rocket as potential mobile ICBM,
and yes the "Right Wing" think shrill about building a japanese Atomic weapon...

lucky they lost 2006 Election...

Last edited: