Eyes Turned Skywards

Michel, those are great! If no one minds, I think I may go ahead and canonize them. Any objections? (Also, name suggestion for the aardvark cartoon: Artie?)

i knew it that little homage to Dr Strangelove will work nice with Artie, Yep thats his name Arite AARDVark

If this is canon I think we can say he'll be a mainstay in political cartoons anytime NASA makes the news. Poor little aardvark running terrified along the ground as Sam the Eagle swoops in whenever there are budget cuts. Or an exhausted Sam carrying a bloated aardvark in his talons whenever anyone says the budget is too big.

It is a little funny that the "earth-pig" is the mascot for the space program.

careful Artie could come like the Red "Snoopy" Baron after Sam the Eagle, in oder to protect NASA budget---:D

On Artie AARDVark, i think that what began as little joke at NASA, will end up as one of Popular Mascots of EtS version NASA ...
i wonder what "the Peanuts" creator Charles M. Schulz thinks about Artie replace Snoopy at NASA

Arthur the aardvark. A la pbs series of the same name, and the marc brown books off which they are based.

Anachronistic, as im sure he hasnt published the first one yet, but the name is euphonous.
Well, somewhat based off of the Arthur books and series, which I watched a lot of as a kid, but also because I've read way too much Narbonic (though that Artie is, to be specific, a gerbil). That said, it is as you say euphonous, so it's not too hard to imagine it being independently developed. There might be a minor issue with the copyright, if the Arthur books still come out in '76, but after all, NASA got permission to use the Ninja Turtles of the MPLM patches.

Well, somewhat based off of the Arthur books and series, which I watched a lot of as a kid, but also because I've read way too much Narbonic (though that Artie is, to be specific, a gerbil). That said, it is as you say euphonous, so it's not too hard to imagine it being independently developed. There might be a minor issue with the copyright, if the Arthur books still come out in '76, but after all, NASA got permission to use the Ninja Turtles of the MPLM patches.

also Warner cartoon characters
"Marvin the Martian" for Mars Exploration Rover – A
and "Duck Dodgers" for Mars Exploration Rover – B

on mission patches of Skylab 5 and Spacelab i have some ideas.
but some need information:
ASTP-1 is like OTL ?
Spacelab mission 9->14 which of them is the first Bock III+ mission ?

on mission patches of Skylab 5 and Spacelab i have some ideas. but some need information:

ASTP-1 is like OTL ?
Roughly--slightly different crew, due to crew rotation butterflies from Apollo 18. See the wiki.
Spacelab mission 9->14 which of them is the first Bock III+ mission ?
Spacelab 9 will be the first Block III+ mission.

i.e. A LOT of redesign. And I suppose, if anything, it's gonna demonstrate the upshots of having a wide payload range for a relatively few interchangeable component parts. Something that Vulkan seemingly lacks - which, truth be told, I should've realised long before now.

This is our life :) We also redesigned [REDACTED] several times, and revised the [REDACTED] multiple times as well (and since they aren't up yet, they might be further revised! Theoretically). We understand the decision-making process in aerospace to a somewhat better extent now, I should say (although of course our decisions are not scored along exactly the same axes as their decisions).

Now, as for Mars...

Well, I'm not spoiling you just yet! :D But I think there was a certain opportunity there for the Soviets--they just missed what was probably their optimax moment for going to Mars (1979-1986 windows) and got killed by the malaise for the 1988 and 1996 windows.

This is our life :) We also redesigned [REDACTED1] several times, and revised the [REDACTED2] multiple times as well (and since they aren't up yet, they might be further revised! Theoretically). We understand the decision-making process in aerospace to a somewhat better extent now, I should say (although of course our decisions are not scored along exactly the same axes as their decisions).
Yeah, and I saw you updated the doc for [REDACTED2] a bit, any serious changes this time? Also, at some point, we should really talk about follow-on to [REDACTED2] in light of [REDACTED3] and the specific language for that. Will you be on sometime this weekend?

Yeah, and I saw you updated the doc for [REDACTED2] a bit, any serious changes this time? Also, at some point, we should really talk about follow-on to [REDACTED2] in light of [REDACTED3] and the specific language for that. Will you be on sometime this weekend?

Yes, I meant to talk to you just now but my computer is acting up, so I will be in contact when possible.

If this is canon I think we can say he'll be a mainstay in political cartoons anytime NASA makes the news....It is a little funny that the "earth-pig" is the mascot for the space program.

On Artie AARDVark, i think that what began as little joke at NASA, will end up as one of Popular Mascots of EtS version NASA ...
i wonder what "the Peanuts" creator Charles M. Schulz thinks about Artie replace Snoopy at NASA
Well, these unmanned mission patches--particularly on relatively unglamorous flights like these early AARDV test--tend to be a bit unofficial and the official ones obscure themselves. (Check out the MPLM program patch for an example OTL. Bet you've never seen that one before!)

Artie probably originates as a joke among the engineers, then on someone's doodles, then on the unofficial patch for AARDV-1, and evolves from there. It probably won't catch the public eyes for several flights, by which point he's traditional. :p I don't know how well it ads up to a mascot for NASA in the 80s in-timeline, but it might not make a bad mascot for this thread. After all, this timeline isn't as well personified as other I could name that involve peculiar-acting persons with memorable hair, or seaborne aquatic mammals. To this date, I've yet to come up with a good one--indeed the image illustrating this TL on the Atomic Rockets seal of approval list is just a screenshot section of the first post! Do people feel Artie could serve?

EDIT: And almost forgot the big reason to bring this up again: after talking it over with truth is life, the AARDV-1 and -2 patches are now canon, and have been added to the wiki. Michel, if you feel dissatisfied with the way they're currently presented there, let me know.

lol!
i had to post that pic here.

MPLM+patch.jpg

Part II: Post 5: Grand Tours, Pioneer and Voyager Probes
Post is going up a tad early this week, as I have a meeting at noon. This week, we once again return to the unmanned side of things, for trip way, way out there as we revisit the expanded Voyager program of this timeline.

Eyes Turned Skyward, Part II: Post #5

The gas giants have long been bounteous sources of wonder and mystery for scientists, all the way back to Galileo's discovery of the four moons which bear his name orbiting Jupiter. As space launch became practical in the 1950s and 1960s, naturally thought turned, as with the terrestrial planets, to not just exploring them at a distance with a telescope, but to physically exploring them, sending emissaries, whether crewed or robotic, to physically explore these bodies, their surroundings, and their moons, and discover those things which could not be discovered from Earth. Fortunately for proponents of outer planet exploration, the 1960s saw not just the development of bigger and more powerful rockets than ever before, but also the discovery of gravitational assist, a technique which vastly increased the ease of reaching the giant planets. A simple flyby of Jupiter could send a probe speeding on to Saturn, reaching that world more quickly and with less effort (meaning a smaller, lower-cost launch vehicle) than was possible with even the best direct trajectories. Furthermore, as it emerged, a unique opportunity was present in the next decade; the possibility of launching a few probes to explore all the gas giants and tiny, distant, and strange Pluto far more quickly and easily than attempting to launch probes to each planet separately. The result was the Voyager program.

Major improvements on the preceding Pioneers, the Voyagers were at first just two probes designed to salvage the TOPS program, an ambitious effort by NASA to explore all the outer planets with a standard probe bus design (one which might later be adapted to other missions, such as giant planet orbiter or atmospheric probe deployment bus). Unfortunately for JPL, budget pressures linked to the development of Skylab/Spacelab, Block III Apollo, the Saturn IC, AARDvark, and the general budget drawdown in the wake of the Moon landings led to TOPS being canceled, the final blow being an effort by astronomers to ensure the survival of what would later be known as the Hubble Space Telescope. JPL quickly recovered with Voyager, billed as being 90% of TOPS science at 50% of the cost. As development neared completion on the major human space flight projects of the decade and budgets finally stabilized, JPL struck back at the demise of TOPS by convincing NASA and Congress to approve the Mariner Jupiter-Uranus mission, quickly rebilled Voyager-Uranus once the Voyager name itself had been adopted in early 1977. Launched in 1979, two years after the Mariner Jupiter-Saturn probes, officially these two probes were merely intended to explore Jupiter itself thus extending previous observations of Jupiter (critical for exploring how Jupiter's atmosphere changes over time, for instance), then proceed on to Uranus. However, it was not much of a secret that, as with their Jupiter-Saturn siblings, these probes were intended to fulfill the full Grand Tour mission, thereby exploring all four giant planets and Pluto.

Development of the Voyagers proceeded smoothly, albeit with increasingly large required budgets, through the first launches in late August and early September 1977. While Voyagers 1 and 2 encountered a number of issues, problems, and complications during and shortly after their launch, these all proved to be relatively minor and easily correctable, leading to some last-minute modifications to the two Voyager-Uranus probes then under construction. Otherwise, their cruise to Jupiter proved uneventful, with only a few interplanetary physics experiments and engineering tests of upgrades to the Deep Space Network needed to maximize scientific return from the missions breaking the monotony of the voyage. Finally, in early March 1979 Voyager 1 sped by the planet, greatly advancing the state of the art of Jovian science in the process. Among many other discoveries, such as the irregularity of Jupiter's atmosphere at the small scale, Voyager 1's flyby is particularly notable for dramatically confirming Io's vulcanism, already suspected from the moon's bizarre appearance and apparently fresh surface, in a navigation image taken a few days after its closest approach. During its flyby, Voyager 1 successfully "hit" the gravitational assist window, with Jupiter speeding the probe on towards Saturn and out of the Solar System altogether. As Voyager 1's encounter drew to a close with post-flyby observations of Jupiter during the rest of March, attention turned towards Voyager 2, closing in on the planet for a May flyby opportunity. While this did not allow such a good Jovian moon "tour" as had been afforded Voyager 1, nevertheless Voyager 2 was able to make a relatively close encounter with Europa, and more distant flybys of the other Galilean moons. Fortunately, Voyager 2 lived up to the standard set by its predecessor, and returned a remarkable amount of scientific data on not only Jupiter's moons but also Jupiter itself. Like Voyager 1, it successfully completed the gravity assist maneuver, proceeding on to Saturn for its next flyby.

Meanwhile on Earth, the Voyager-Uranus probes were undergoing assembly and testing prior to being moved to the launch site at Cape Canaveral for their October-November launch date. Using data from their older siblings currently in space, both had been upgraded, redesigned, and generally made even better than the originals. The most notable event of their launch was the first of NASA's anti-nuclear protests. While many previous satellites and probes, including Voyagers 1 and 2, had been launched with nuclear material onboard with little comment from either nearby Floridians or the wider US, the Three Mile Island accident earlier in the year had caused a large portion of the population to regard anything "nuclear" with fear and trepidation. Several dozen Floridians, together with a smaller number of out-of-staters, decided that the use of nuclear materials by the space program was worthy of protest, and converged on Cape Canaveral's gates beginning a few weeks before launch. Despite explanations by NASA public relations officials of both the necessity and safety of the RTGs used by the Voyagers, they continued their protest until launch, with a few being arrested attempting to cross the fence and physically prevent the launch of the probes. While rather minor overall, this incident did serve to underscore the movement away from the technological optimism of the 1950s and 1960s to the pessimism of the 1970s. As with their siblings, the initial cruise through interplanetary space proved uneventful, with the main scientific observations relating to the effects of the ongoing and unexpectedly intense solar maximum on interplanetary space through the asteroid belt.

By the beginning of the year, attention had turned to the first two Voyagers, then starting some work on their Saturn flyby opportunity. In November 1980 Voyager 1 finally reached the Saturn system. In addition to its observations of the planet itself and some of the other moons, it passed less than 10,000 km from Titan, revealing that the giant moon possessed a thick atmosphere, laced with virtually opaque hydrocarbon haze, although this flyby prevented it from continuing on to Pluto. Following this simultaneously exciting and disappointing discovery, talk of diverting Voyager 2 to do another close flyby of the moon almost immediately vanished, and instead it threaded the needle to continue on to Pluto during its flyby in March of the next year. Voyager 2 largely furthered the observations its sibling probe had conducted the previous year, returning additional scientific data about Saturn's winds, Titan's outer atmosphere, and many of Saturn's moons. Among the most well-known discoveries of the two probes was the presence of a large crater later named Herschel on the moon Mimas, making it appear similar to the Death Star of 1977's Star Wars.

However, by the time Voyager 2 wrapped up its post-Saturn flyby activities, attention was already turning towards Voyager 3, then approaching Jupiter for a June flyby, as the probe and its August followup Voyager 4 were perfectly positioned to take advantage of the discoveries made by their older counterparts. The orbital geometry of Jupiter and its moons during the 1981 flyby opportunities would allow extremely close flybys of Io and Europa, two of the most interesting moons of the system following the discoveries of Voyagers 1 and 2. With the Jupiter orbiter Galileo already well along in development, characterizing these objects and their environment was of great importance both scientifically and in mission planning. The Voyagers did not disappoint, returning stunning close-up images of the moons that greatly furthered the state of Io and Europa science. Io observations in particular allowed estimations of long-term volcanic activity on the moon, by comparing surface features found by Voyager 3 with those found by Voyagers 1 and 2, while Europa observations, combined with the obvious presence of significant tidal heating on its neighboring moon, led to the hypothesis that there might exist a liquid water ocean under the icy crust of the body. With the recent discovery of life dwelling around oceanic vents, never seeing sunlight and often not requiring oxygen, there were even a few suggestions, most notably by Carl Sagan, that there might somehow exist life on the moon, although most researchers, and certainly NASA after Viking, simply ignored the idea in public. Still, the ocean alone was interesting enough to start scientists considering a follow-up to Galileo dedicated primarily to Europa science, although as of yet such a probe was merely conceptual and of a low development priority.

With September came the first time since 1979 when no Voyager encounters were planned for the following year, as Voyager 4 wrapped up its observations of Jupiter. With Voyager 3 not reaching Uranus until 1986, a long period of digestion was in store for planetary scientists wrapped up in the questions raised by data from the Jupiter and Saturn flybys and preparing for the launch of Galileo in 1983. Heliophysicists and astronomers, however, seized the opportunity to take advantage of the unique vantage point offered by the Voyagers, especially Voyager 1, which would have no future planetary encounters at all. As some of the first probes to reach trans-Saturnian space, the Voyagers provided a great deal of information about this distant region of our own solar system, in the process disproving the hypothesis sometimes advanced in the 1970s that the heliopause might lie somewhere interior to Neptune, or perhaps Uranus or even Saturn. Additionally, the down period allowed the development of a number of software upgrades for the probes' computer systems, designed to maximize the data return from their future flybys (or, in the case of Voyager 1, maximize its future useful life). However, in general the five year period of downtime between Voyager 4's flyby of Jupiter and Voyager 3's flyby of Uranus was uneventful and quiet, with events closer to home stealing the spotlight from the little robots that could.

Voyager - and NO, I do not speak of the extremely lacklustre Star Trek show of that name! :p:p

IIRC, there was a NASA in-house joke that the last time the Grand Tour window presented itself, Thomas Jefferson was the US President. And he blew it. Well, he did. :rolleyes:

Revealing an enormous wealth of science data that will be studied for years to come. Especially with regards to Io, and Europa. I recall hearing that IOTL, Io had completely resurfaced itself between Voyager and Galileo, and is the most volcanically active body in the Solar System.

And with 4 Voyager Probes. They really can visit all the outer planets - that were known at the time. Meaning that Clyde Tombaugh, is in with a serious chance of seeing the Planet he discovered before he dies - an event he was denied IOTL.

One thing I noted. The 1979 Solar Maximum. Which was far more intense than expected, and IOTL, which helped to bring down Skylab when it made the Earth's atmosphere expand.

And I'm willing to guess that the launching of large Interplanetary probes, would most likely be done - post-1980 - via Saturn IC, Saturn-Centaur, or Saturn Multibody. On account that the Titan IIIC-Centaur would have been retired by that point.

also in 1986 is the Fly by of Voyager 2 at Pluto, with much surprise for scientists...

And with 4 Voyager Probes. They really can visit all the outer planets - that were known at the time. Meaning that Clyde Tombaugh, is in with a serious chance of seeing the Planet he discovered before he dies - an event he was denied IOTL.

Well, there's more about the Voyagers, but it'll have to wait for the second post about them. That's right, this is just half of the material truth's produced on the topic of the Voyagers.

And I'm willing to guess that the launching of large Interplanetary probes, would most likely be done - post-1980 - via Saturn IC, Saturn-Centaur, or Saturn Multibody. On account that the Titan IIIC-Centaur would have been retired by that point.
We'll touch more on LVs for unmanned missions in the posts on Galileo and Hubble. Safe to say that, yes, many will migrate to more capable LVs that are available.

Very enjoyable update! It does highlight one of the problems of a TL of this nature though: what happens when TTL goes somewhere we haven't been IOTL? Do you just gloss over the discoveries and stick to only the specifics that we know to be true, or do you hypothesize?

When they get to Pluto are they going to find Mi-Go?

523px-Pluto_P5_Discovery_Image.jpg

a mini Planet 2300 km ø with FIVE moons
i bet there will some Geological activity on Pluto, do tidal flexing by the moons.

But the biggest surprise will be for 1986 scientists:
Pluto is not the planet they believe to be.
They will consider first, that Pluto is a escape moon of Neptune, who take some others Neptune moons with him.
but find the truth, Pluto and his moons are part of the Kuiper belt.

and there will be declassification of Pluto from Planet to the biggest Asteroid in solar-system in end of 1980s

and there will be declassification of Pluto from Planet to the biggest Asteroid in solar-system in end of 1980s

This is a much better time for this to happen in terms of public relations: one subtraction in the midst of many new additions from space science. As opposed to occurring in the relative dead space after the Mars rover and with the end of the shuttle program looming. Also Carl will be around to spin it for the public this time.

Very enjoyable update! It does highlight one of the problems of a TL of this nature though: what happens when TTL goes somewhere we haven't been IOTL? Do you just gloss over the discoveries and stick to only the specifics that we know to be true, or do you hypothesize?
I'm passing this along to truth is life for specifics on his portions of the TL, but generally it's a mix of best available OTL information, informed speculation, and a dash of artistic license.

So...are any of the Voyagers going to fly-by Neptune? I'm a little fuzzy on this part.
Voyager 3 and 4 are outbound from Jupiter to Uranus, there to flyby and pick up a course for Neptune. Or such is the plan as it stands in 1981 as the two probes depart Jupiter.

This is a much better time for this to happen in terms of public relations: one subtraction in the midst of many new additions from space science. As opposed to occurring in the relative dead space after the Mars rover and with the end of the shuttle program looming. Also Carl will be around to spin it for the public this time.
Carl Sagan and Clyde Tombaugh, the original discoverer! Should that decision be made sometime before the late 90s ITTL, they'll both be around to sell it.

Voyager - and NO, I do not speak of the extremely lacklustre Star Trek show of that name! :p:p
Hey now, don't you start, too - I've already unleashed that on him myself!

Great update! And I know it'll never happen, but I would love to see one of those extra Voyagers on a trajectory that might fly it past a nearby star system...