Explain the AH Quote

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Achaemenid Rome, Feb 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. John Spangler A man of wealth and taste

Yuri Zukov, spokesman for the Iron Star (real name unknown, though some historians believe him to be Zukov himself), leader of one of the many states born after the collapse of Russia after WW3 (1963-1965). Over the years of the Nuclear Winter, the Iron Star would come to ruĺe most of the former Soviet Union, except for the Moscow Free State, which would then start a resistance campaign with help from the European Union and the Australian Commonwealth.

"We are the sons of Romulus and Caesar! We shall not break! You think you have won? I disagree!"

2. Andrew Boyd Resident Rail Enthusiast

A line from the Shakespeare play Julius Ceasar. Which would become known for being one of the oldest work of alternate history there was.

"Come on Roy. If Donald was in the comics, there shouldn't be anything stop Mr. Rosa from putting him in there. After all, didn't your uncle see TV animation as another big thing?"
    - Don Bluth

3. Paraiba Well-Known Member

Disney executive Don Bluth explains to an elderly Roy E. Disney why Donald isn't on the "Disney Anthology". Donald's comics were cancelled after they started to sell badly because of the 2008 crisis, much to the frustation of their top writers, Don Rosa.

"As someone that's been somehow involved in politics since the 60's, it seems that right now the best democratic primary candidates are Yang and Buttigieg." - George Wallace

4. Glide08 "Oh yeah. That guy exists."

The first Twitter bot based off the mind of the real person, @Wallacetron was quicly shut down the next hour for developing sentience.

"Irish Neutrality, as originally conceived, was gone the moment Dublin got its hands on the NVA's surplus the newly-reunited Germany didn't want."

5. ThatOneGuy Fite me m8, swer on me mum

President of the South Carolinian Republic
    A quote from the 2014 academic paper The Myth of Irish Neutrality by historian Dale Abelcart from Harvard University. In the quote Ablecart begins his explanation that through third parties the McEllroy Regime bought black market weapons from North Vietnam which were originally destined for the GDR. He also points out Irish fighters in various warzones in China and India along with Irish made weapons being spotted in military parades in the Korean State leading Abelcart to accuse the Irish of selling weapons to enemies of the Union through the black market. The world largely ignored the paper after it was published until a CNN expose backed up Abelcart's observations along with whistleblowers revealing an extensive section of the black market being controlled directly from Dublin. The Black Iron Scandal as it is known would end with Union and American troops landing in Ireland and arresting McEllroy for arms smuggling and restoring the rule of Dail Eireann after 97 years of dictatorship.

The moment I trust an American is the moment I resign from politics - Winston Churchill

6. KingOnTheEdge Vive La Revolucion

America sided with the central powers during ww1, destroying the amiable rivalry between the great powers. Churchill became prime minister and with Edward VIII basically turned the UK into a dictatorship drunk on glory, who wanted, in no particular order,
    -to conquer the now communist france ala 100 years war
    -and the 13 colonies
    -screw it, norway and Denmark. Fuck em.
    Needless to say it went poorly

"France had been a decentralized mess along with the low countries and Italy under the holy Roman empire, with the most powerful realms being Aquitaine in the south and Normandy in the north. Naturally when it came close to uniting with a larger population than germany, they and the British were scared rather shitless."

7. sampleswift Well-Known Member

A version of the Thirty Years' War that ended up with France getting destroyed instead of Germany. The pieces of France eventually came close to uniting, which scared the British and Germans. Great Britain formed an alliance with Germany to contain a rising France should it ever fully unite. The Holy Roman Empire survived and controlled most of Italy in this timeline.

It is time for the presentation of the Wellington Awards, so called because Wellington brought the first large democratic movement into Great Britain.

8. Plateosaurus Well-Known Member

Lord Wellington (an anglicisation of Wheli Dotnn) was a Jutish man who is credited with bring christianity to Great Britain, then the Pridaish Isles. In 1883, it even inspired an award for the least corrupt politician in the country.

"You wouldn't by any chance have vultures or any other big scavenging birds in your lands? We need them for our funerary rites to take our souls to Heaven, you see."

9. Frank Hart Be Who You Want To Be

The 14th Dalai Llama to Governor of Nebraska, J. James Exon, during the Tibetan Exodus following the famine in China and the Cultural Revolution. Eventually, the thirty thousand Tibetan refugees found three regions of settlement in the Americas:
    1. Western Nebraska north of the Platte River,
    2. Western Texas between Abilene and Midland-Odessa, and
    3. Baja California Sur outside of La Paz and Los Cabos.

"Between the cities of Poznan and Niš, and of Budweis and Stanislavov, is the last beacon of democracy in Europe, and it is our duty to ensure that this Land of Five Nations can prosper and return Europe to its past glory."

Plateosaurus likes this.
  10. SandroPertini98 Well-Known Member

Marshal Josif Pilsudsky, speaking in the famous Kraków Speech in 1933. Pilsudsky was considered the Father of the Motherland after his decisive role in the Soviet-Polish War that concluded with the collapse of Soviet Russia and birth of the large Intermarin Confederation, also called Land of Five Nations (Polish, Ukranians, Czechoslovakians, Yugoslavians, Hungarians). The old war hero was precipitously recalled after successful Adolf Hitler's Munich Coup in Germany. In 1932 Hitler openly gave an ultimatum in order to create his Third Reich and, at its rejection, he started the Second World War. After the fall of France and the pacifist Labour McDonald Government refutation to enter in the conflict, Intermarin Confederation stayed alone against the German aggression. In his most famous speech Pilsudsky promised they would "never surrender" until Intermarin "inevitable victory", that arrived only five years later, after the death of the old general and a Western invasion of occupied Netherlands. In tribute of their biggest hero, Intermarin Confederation rebaptised the annexed Berlin as Pilsudskygrad.

"That's impossible! How many divisions have the Pope?!?"
    "More of us surely, Milord..."

11. ThatOneGuy Fite me m8, swer on me mum

President of the South Carolinian Republic
    Snippet of a conversation between Count Giolini Giazzo of the citystate of Venice upon receiving the Papal Bull of 1523 in which Pope Michael II, nicknamed "Battle Pope" in modern internet culture for his series of wars to unify Italy, declared the Republic of Venice a core territory under Papal Influence. The resulting war was short and brutal as the mercenaries hired by Pope Michael swept aside the Venetian Army and took the city, razing it to the ground after a week long orgy of violence known in Italy as the "Settimana Rossa" or Red Week. After such an act of brazen violence Emperor Charles III of the HRE declared Michael to be the anti-Christ and named a new pope, Leo IIIV starting the Popery Wars.

"Am I talking to me!?!"

12. Taxationistheft Well-Known Member

"Am I talking to me!!!!"

Napoleon may have won at Waterloo, but the resurgent Prussian armies, as well as the Russians, have kept him very busy. After failing against the Prussian army at Ghent, the arrival of Russian reinforcement and a fresh wave of British forces are arriving. Napoleon is attempting to launch another battle in Flanders, but by now it is clear he is going to fail, and his generals know it. This unconsciable waste of lives is clear to everyone but Napoleon. The generals have been plotting to overthrow Napoleon, and re-instate Louis XVIII. When lecturing them on his battle plans, there is a deadly silence in the room. Napoleon screams "Am I talking to me???". Silence. Suddenly it dawns on him. In a wonderful hubristic reversal of history, the generals point a gun at him. Napoleon agrees to abdicate under gunpower, and the provisional monarchical government sues for peace with the foreign powers.

"The Principle failure of 1848 was that the founders thought that they could win the hearts and minds of the German people through armed force alone.. But the old truism that the pen is mightier than the sword might be the sword contains within invaluable wisdom and a warning. The repressed do not loved their repressors. To change German history, we need speeches and majority decisions- not iron and blood.
    Otto Von Bismark, 1862

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  13. Andrew Boyd Resident Rail Enthusiast

German Emperor Otto Von Bismark explains his decision to turn his own country into a UK-esque constitutional monarchy.

"Mario, do you know where my sister and dad are? I haven't seen him all morning and I'm getting anxious."
    - Prince Cream

14. Taxationistheft Well-Known Member

The Syrian Civil War which hit in 2008 combined with other instability around the Middle East (in an event in 2008 known as the Arab Spring) caused global instability, resulting in an unmanageable refugee crisis that peaked in 2012. The Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti was visiting refugees in a temporary camp in Southern Italy, where many refugees had been rescued. A small child, by the name of Prince Cream, came up to him and asked ""Mario, do you know where my sister and dad are? I haven't seen him all morning and I'm getting anxious". This moved Mario Monti to tears and was an enduring image of the tragedy of the events in Syria and the crisis, and a prompt from greater international action to protect refugees at sea. However, that it did not stop the rising of anti-immigrant sentiment within Italy; the Five Star Movement won 30.8% of the popular vote in 2013 on an anti-immigration platform, with the Northern League making substantial gains to 8.7% of the vote.

"I'm going outside for a while- I may be some time"- Napoleon, 1813

15. Taxationistheft Well-Known Member

Just did whoops

16. KingOnTheEdge Vive La Revolucion

After a costly victory against the coalition forces, Napoleon was, not quite himself. More sombered and less bold. After this quote he sent to the coalition a peace treaty that would hold: Napoleon would remain in Belgium and the Rhine, and his brothers would retain their crowns, but he would leave italy and germany

"God save the king! Long live the empire!" Abraham Lincoln

17. Taxationistheft Well-Known Member

The defeat at Gettysburg had been a huge blow to Lincoln. Resulting battles did slow the advance, but by the end of 1863 Philadelphia was occupied, resulting in the hugely embarrassing evacuation of the Mississippi and occupied towns by union troops needed to defend the North. The Union was therefore seen as a lost cause by the community. The British wanted to make a friendship of what they thought of as the inevitable Confederate State. John Russell, the foreign secretary, explained the recognition of the Confederate States in this speech to parliament.

"I know that many members shared considerably for now what I must label the former United States. But, for the preservation of our shared interests, we must acknowledge the realities as they are. "There is nothing that could be done. The United States of America is rotting away like an old tree. This is an inconvenient reality, but one we one must accept not for the sake of ourselves, but for the sake of the Farmer, the Craftsman, the Merchant. To do otherwise would be to betray crown and country."

Sorry time lag!!! Someone had a quote about the US rotting away like an old tree?

18. Taxationistheft Well-Known Member

After the British Empire intervened as a result of the Trent Affair, the Russians intervened on the Union side to block a British puppet state being set up in the South. In a speech to Russian soldiers arriving in California, Lincoln extolled the virtues of the Russian Empire, calling it 'a state built on just rule, security and peace among men'. Lincoln ended on a somewhat dramatic note, directly addressing the Emperor of Russia: 'God save the King! Long Live the Empire!'. Critics said that Lincoln sounded more like a redcoat than a Unionist.

"It is now clear that the French Revolution has failed in it's entirety. What comes now, I dread to think."- Thomas Jefferson, 1791

19. sampleswift Well-Known Member

I deleted my original post due to you putting another quote. With that being said, I will answer that new one.
    The French Revolution had failed by 1791 because all the other European powers sent in their armies to quash it. Out of a desire to avenge the beheaded King, the foreign powers wreaked havoc and devastation in France. Thomas Jefferson stated this line in a speech where he was saddened that the movement for freedom in France had failed completely. There was also a fear that the foreign powers in Europe, after crushing the Revolution in France, would try and crush it in the United States of America as well.

"Mutually assured destruction is the name of the Great Game at this point due to the development of weapons that could desolate large swathes of countries"-- Theodore Roosevelt, 1908

20. KingOnTheEdge Vive La Revolucion

The development of nuclear bombs near the end of the nineteenth century accomplished many things, such as preventing the unification of Germany when Austria bombed Berlin. This carried over to the great game, where Britain threatened to obliterate russia if it touched india. Russia promised to incinerate London for their part.

"Oh bloody hell why are they revolting now? Do they want me to stop telling them that owning people is wrong? Fucking australia never got this whiney when I told them to stop with the genocides..."

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Frank Hart likes this.