Expanded Texas Settlement of Ex-Slaves In Texas

Reading up a bit on the Mexican Underground article and it states that as early as 1831 at least one Mexican Senator was suggesting settling Ex-Slaves in Texas to prevent an American filibuster - echoed by then Colonel Juan Alamonte. Obviously this didn’t pan out likely because of the timing of the effort and prior policies and numbers.

I’m curious if someone had the foresight to start this earlier - either among Mexican or Northern Abolitionists if it would have affected Texas history.

Granted obviously the main aim of the Mexican Government was to provide a buffer against attacks by the Comanche and other Native groups that resisted their authority but instead of settling toward Central Texas most of the Anglo Colonists went to East Texas which was ripe for southern style plantations.

Reading up a bit on the Mexican Underground article and it states that as early as 1831 at least one Mexican Senator was suggesting settling Ex-Slaves in Texas to prevent an American filibuster - echoed by then Colonel Juan Alamonte. Obviously this didn’t pan out likely because of the timing of the effort and prior policies and numbers.

I’m curious if someone had the foresight to start this earlier - either among Mexican or Northern Abolitionists if it would have affected Texas history.

Granted obviously the main aim of the Mexican Government was to provide a buffer against attacks by the Comanche and other Native groups that resisted their authority but instead of settling toward Central Texas most of the Anglo Colonists went to East Texas which was ripe for southern style plantations.

Would they require ex slaves to convert to Catholicism like they attempted to do with the Anglo settlers?

So, to clarify; the idea was to settle Ex-American slaves in Texas, or Ex-Mexican slaves? Because if the prior, that could prove interesting; I could definitely see some alliances with African Colonial Societies; though the Protestant nature of those later organizations might make them balk at Ex-Slaves needing to convert to Catholicism. I wonder if they might not have some luck encouraging Creole emigration from Louisiana. In any case, this could have some very interesting impacts upon the culture of these American Ex-Slave colonies in Texas.

Jasen777

Donor
I think settling ex-slaves in Texas is probably going to do more to attract unwanted attention from the USA than prevent it.

I think settling ex-slaves in Texas is probably going to do more to attract unwanted attention from the USA than prevent it.

But maybe not. The South often viewed freed slaves with suspicion and saw them as a social issue that needed to be solved; this is one of the reason there was support in the South for an African Freedmen colony in the early decades of the Republic. And, at least during the early period, there was even a tactic and hesitant turning a blind eye to runaway and freedmen communities throughout the region, as it was seen as a bit of a pressure valve (the troublesome slaves fled, and thereby removed their influence from the rest of the population). Now, mind you, this latter factor broke down as time went on.

Anyway, if Texas becomes a Freedmen colony, its unlikely to become a major destination for runaways until decades later - traveling there from any state outside of Louisiana (and MAYBE southern Alabama and Mississippi) is going to be rather difficult. This will likely change by, say the 1850s or so (assuming there is no Mexican-American War which strips Texas from Mexico; and if its already home to an establish Freedmen community, there may not be much desire on the part of Americans to take it either) but by that time the territory is going to be developed enough to defend themselves from any foolish slave catcher that wanders out that way.