Exocet - the Effects of a different Falklands

So the Invincible is damaged not lost. The Royal Navy retires, the Invincible is repaired, the Illustrious is completed. The Bulwark is repaired also and the British return to the South Atlantic later in 1982 with four carriers instead of two. The Argentinians are routed and the Falklands remain British.
Militarily, everything you've said could've been true. Politically, diplomatically and economically, at least the way I see it, there would be no way that a second attack group would be commissioned.

Military action was never the first port of call as well as any additional action would've probably seen America withdraw diplomatic, logistic and other support from Britain. America (outside of Kirkpatrick) was supportive, but a second flotilla, double the size and with potential for greater conflict, would not fly with the US.

There'd be no economic incentive to go to the islands either. Britain's trapped in a economic depression in the early 1980s and there'd be no way the Treasury nor the public would want to spent even more millions on a another costly operation to save a few islands (which before 1982) which were continually overlooked and ignored by the British public and successive governments before their invasion. The island were also a backwater and the economic costs of the war (even in OTL which was successful) dwarfed the economic benefits of retaining the islands.

The war was politically divisive in the 1980s, and Thatcher had to use a lot of her political capital and energy (even in her own cabinet which preferred traditional conservative action such as diplomacy) to justify the heavy-handed response as is. And hell, diplomacy worked, as by 1995, the islands are back in British hands and there'd probably be less Argentinian complaints about their ownership.

Britain had been in a morale slump since WWII, and honestly, defeat in the Falklands' would probably just confirm this slump. Half the reason's Britain's more integrated into Europe (the rest of the TL) is because the morale blow is so big that Britain mindset is forced to embrace a continental (and less internationalist) mindset. [That and removing Thatcher far before Bruges].

The weather would've been significantly worse later on in the year, especially as it would be closer to Winter 1982 before all four carriers would be able to launched.

So, yes, militarily, Britain could've retaken the islands. But like Suez, military might or success doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:
Militarily, everything you've said could've been true. Politically, diplomatically and economically, at least the way I see it, there would be no way that a second attack group would be commissioned.

Military action was never the first port of call as well as any additional action would've probably seen America withdraw diplomatic, logistic and other support from Britain. America (outside of Kirkpatrick) was supportive, but a second flotilla, double the size and with potential for greater conflict, would not fly with the US.

There'd be no economic incentive to go to the islands either. Britain's trapped in a economic depression in the early 1980s and there'd be no way the Treasury nor the public would want to spent even more millions on a another costly operation to save a few islands (which before 1982) which were continually overlooked and ignored by the British public and successive governments before their invasion. The island were also a backwater and the economic costs of the war (even in OTL which was successful) dwarfed the economic benefits of retaining the islands.

The war was politically divisive in the 1980s, and Thatcher had to use a lot of her political capital and energy (even in her own cabinet which preferred traditional conservative action such as diplomacy) to justify the heavy-handed response as is. And hell, diplomacy worked, as by 1995, the islands are back in British hands and there'd probably be less Argentinian complaints about their ownership.

Britain had been in a morale slump since WWII, and honestly, defeat in the Falklands' would probably just confirm this slump. Half the reason's Britain's more integrated into Europe (the rest of the TL) is because the morale blow is so big that Britain mindset is forced to embrace a continental (and less internationalist) mindset. [That and removing Thatcher far before Bruges].

The weather would've been significantly worse later on in the year, especially as it would be closer to Winter 1982 before all four carriers would be able to launched.

So, yes, militarily, Britain could've retaken the islands. But like Suez, military might or success doesn't mean anything.
I think Falklands as an alt-Suez really works in this TL. Obviously way too late to retcon now, but what was your thought process on Thatcher surviving 1983 politically (but not, you know, alive-ally later on) with a Falklands loss?

I think Falklands as an alt-Suez really works in this TL. Obviously way too late to retcon now, but what was your thought process on Thatcher surviving 1983 politically (but not, you know, alive-ally later on) with a Falklands loss?
That's a good question.
It's honestly more on the divisions between Labour and the SDP-Alliance which give Thatcher her victory rather than anything in her favour. It's also less than her OTL landslide, but remains the best result the Conservatives will have until present day. With the opposition divided, Labour (who's led by Michael Foot, who even though was an decent and intelligent man) just isn't in a position to come to power. It's too left-wing for your average voter and is too internally divided.

If Denis Healey won in '80, Thatcher would either lose her majority (and be visited by the grey men shortly after) or actually lose the election wholesale.

Suez was far more politically damaging and controversial than TTL Falklands was, and still. the Conservative romped home in 1959 regardless of the crisis. (They did change their leader in between but it was still expected to be a noose around their chances to win).

That's a good question.
It's honestly more on the divisions between Labour and the SDP-Alliance which give Thatcher her victory rather than anything in her favour. It's also less than her OTL landslide, but remains the best result the Conservatives will have until present day. With the opposition divided, Labour (who's led by Michael Foot, who even though was an decent and intelligent man) just isn't in a position to come to power. It's too left-wing for your average voter and is too internally divided.

If Denis Healey won in '80, Thatcher would either lose her majority (and be visited by the grey men shortly after) or actually lose the election wholesale.

Suez was far more politically damaging and controversial than TTL Falklands was, and still. the Conservative romped home in 1959 regardless of the crisis. (They did change their leader in between but it was still expected to be a noose around their chances to win).
Makes sense! It’s one of the few things ITTL I’ve been a little skeptical of but the narrative requires it a bit with the Brighton Bombing being a major secondary POD so it works haha

Makes sense! It’s one of the few things ITTL I’ve been a little skeptical of but the narrative requires it a bit with the Brighton Bombing being a major secondary POD so it works haha
Yeah, when I was planning the TL I thought having two major POD's shoe-horned into a very small manner of time might be a bit of an issue, but for the TL to go the way I wanted it to go, both had to happen. British defeat in the Falklands and Thatcher removed from the equation.
The first draft of this actually started from Brighton but because I started it 40 years after the Falklands, I wanted to include it from a historical perspective.

Are there going to be any posts related to Japan specifically? I mean Doi as PM and I have not seen other changes yet
Never say never. I'd really would like to do something on Japan, as I know this TL is Euro-centric and I want to cover more nations outside of Europe to fix this. I've got an absolutely brilliant Korea update, which covers Japan a bit, which is waiting in the wings (but again that's a while off).
There was never supposed to be full-blown updates for Ireland, Turkey or Sweden (currently in the works) but once I started researching them I got really into it. If I do an update, I'm usually confident in the research I've done and I'd be able to give a bit of context to it.
I do want to though.

Last edited:
Yeah, when I was planning the TL I thought having two major POD's shoe-horned into a very small manner of time might be a bit of an issue, but for the TL to go the way I wanted it to go, both had to happen. British defeat in the Falklands and Thatcher removed from the equation.
The first draft of this actually started from Brighton but because I started it 40 years after the Falklands, I wanted to include it from a historical perspective.

Never say never. I'd really would like to do something on Japan, as I know this TL is Euro-centric and I want to cover more nations outside of Europe to fix this. I've got an absolutely brilliant Korea update, which covers Japan a bit, which is waiting in the wings (but again that's a while off).
There was never supposed to be full-blown updates for Ireland, Turkey or Sweden (currently in the works) but once I started researching them I got really into it. If I do an update, I'm usually confident in the research I've done and I'd be able to give a bit of context to it.
I do want to though.
“Exocet” is a cooler name for a TL than “Brighton” anyways 😉

I get that this is your story and you can adjust history any way you want, BUT the UK would never surrender the Falklands because one aircraft carrier was damaged.

It is ridiculous to even think so.

Did the UK surrender to Imperial Germany after the Battle of Coronel, or to the Nazis after the Courageous and Royal Oak were sunk? Did they give up Asia to the Japanese after the Prince of Wales and Repulse were sunk?

Your have your answer as to whether or not the Iron Lady would surrender to the Argentinian military junta.

Star Trek Enterprise
A.N: A lot of this is taken from Wikipedia for reference purposes and I used the Memory Alpha wiki format to make one of the boxes. Also it’s a lot of fan service for me, so…

Star Trek: Enterprise, titled as Enterprise for the first two seasons, is an American science fiction television series created by Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. The series lasted for 8 years, from September 26, 2001, to May 13, 2009, and broadcast 7 seasons, the first five where produced by UPN and the last three which were broadcast on the CW. It was the sixth series in the Star Trek Franchise and was preceded by Star Trek: Voyager then followed by Star Trek: Federation. The show is set in the 22nd century, a hundred years before the events of the Original Series. The show begins in 2151, following the flight of Earth’s first Warp Five vessel and ends in 2161. The show follows NX-Enterprise and its crew as it explores the galaxy and encounters new species.

Following the culmination of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and with Star Trek: Voyager scheduled to end, Paramount asked Braga and Berman to create a new series to continue the franchise. Rather than setting it in the 24th century alongside Deep Space Nine and Voyager, they decided to set it in an earlier period, allowing them to explore new parts of the Star Trek fictional universe. Wanting a more basic, relatable, character-driven series, Berman and Braga concentrated on a core trio: Captain Jonathan Archer (played by Scott Bakula), Commander Trip Tucker (Connor Trinneer), and Sub-commander T'Pol (Jolene Blalock).

The show broke with Star Trek convention in several ways. In addition to dropping the Star Trek prefix, Enterprise used the pop-influenced song "Faith of the Heart" (performed by Russell Watson) as its theme. It was filmed on the Paramount lot in Los Angeles, California, on the same stages that housed the Star Trek series and films since the abandoned Star Trek: Phase II in the late 1970s.

The first two seasons were characterized by stand-alone episodes that explored topics like humanity's early relations with the Vulcans, and first encounters with the Klingons and Andorians, aliens already familiar to franchise viewers. Seeking to attract a wider audience, UPN called for changes for Enterprise's third season, to boost ratings. With the S2 cliff-hanger being as an attack on Earth, modelled after the Noël Attack, Season 3 saw other changes including the show being renamed Star Trek: Enterprise, and was changed to focus on action-driven plots which followed a single, serialized storyline: the crew's mission to prevent the Earth being destroyed by a newly introduced alien species, the Xindi. The third season proved popular with fans, and despite UPN threats of cancelling Enterprise after its fourth season, a fan campaign generated enough goodwill to continue Enterprise. However, the fan campaign, which while saving, was unable to save the UPN network with the show bought and produced by the CW after.

Following the tension caused between UPN and the showrunners, the show on its new platform, made a noticeable departure from so-called “Berman Trek” with the new show-runner, Manny Coto given greater creative freedom to adapt Enterprise, in order to keep it relevant. As such, the following seasons saw more controversial and political storylines, which were taken by some to be a repudiation of the 2004 US presidential election and the subsequent administration. The fourth season, in advance of its move to the CW, saw the rise of “Terra Prime”, a xenophobic, extremist political movement on Earth and the tensions between the founding species of the Federation, angering some fans with these changes.

However, with the fourth season destined to be the last on UPN after the show (and network) finally fell victim to cancellation. the CW decided to pick up Enterprise for its final three seasons (with the caveat that there would only be around 18 episodes per season and significant changes would be made to the show and the cast) alongside the Enterprise getting a redesign/"refit" to start Season 5 with.

F0h3MH9.png

The fifth and sixth seasons thus portrayed a more critical view of both United Earth and Starfleet which also featured a series-long conspiracy plot culminating in the Vulcan-Andorian War, in which fan favourite Thy’lek Shran (played by Jeffrey Combs, who joined as a main cast member in S4) is killed. The final season, which was only 8 episodes long, similar to Season 3 saw the overarching plot which saw the conclusion of the Earth-Romulan War and the eventual creation of the United Federation of Planets in the final episode.

Enterprise tackled political and social issues of the mid 2000s and this was personified by the character of Malcolm Reed (Dominic Keating) who became the first openly bisexual main character in Star Trek history and featuring a gay marriage in season 5, which led to a boycott by groups such as the Parents Television Council and the American Decency Association.

ZmGp20X.png

Characters:

Scott Bakula as Captain Jonathan Archer (main: seasons 1–7) Captain of Earth's first Warp 5 starship, Enterprise. His father, Henry, designed its engine, giving Archer a personal connection to his ship. Archer is instrumental in the early years of the Earth Space Command and becomes an integral part in the Temporal Cold War and the Xindi Incident. Archer, through his actions, helps found a peaceful relationship between the Andorians and Vulcans and ends the yearlong Vulcan-Andorian War which saw the dissolution of the Vulcan High Command and creation of the precursor to the Federation, the Coalition of Planets. Archer is promoted at the end of Season 6, against his wishes, to Admiral and becomes a leading diplomat. In this role he proves instrumental in the formation of Starfleet between multiple species (Humans, Vulcans, Andorians, Tellarites, Denobulans and Rigelians) to fight the Romulans and the creation of the United Federation of Planets, with Archer being elected as its first president.

John Billingsley as Phlox (main: seasons 1–5, recurring: seasons 6–7) A Denobulan and the chief Doctor aboard the NX-01 Enterprise (and her subsequent refit). By the end of the Series 5, Phlox’s medical knowledge is so extensive he chooses to leave the ship and helps found Starfleet Medical. He guests stars in a few of the episodes later, appearing as the Chief Medical Coordinator of the Starfleet and as a representative of Denobula in the negotiations to form the Federation.

Jolene Blalock as T’Pol (main: seasons 1–7) is Science Officer of Enterprise, originally attached to Enterprise by the Vulcan High Command to keep the humans out of trouble. She becomes loyal to Archer, leaving her position in the High Command to accompany him to find the Xindi, and later joins Starfleet. After the Xindi Incident, T’Pol chooses to join Earth Space Command and within a year becomes the first ever non-Human in United Earth history to serve in its ranks. As First Officer on the Enterprise, she acts as Archer’s right hand and in the final season becomes the Captain of the Enterprise, with Archer’s promotion. She forms a romantic relationship with Tucker and they marry at the start of Season 5 and conceive the first Vulcan/human hybrid, Elizabeth or ‘Liz’. She also discovers her father is Romulan in Season 4, which leads to a crisis of confidence. The death of Tucker in Season 5 at the hands of the terror group Terra Prime leads her into a spiral of depression and she is forced to relinquish her duties and returns to Vulcan. During this, she becomes one of the leading voices in the Vulcan Reformation and the formation of the Federation.

Dominic Keating as Malcolm Reed (main: season 1–7) is Head Security Officer on the NX Enterprise and is also in charge of ship security. Reed comes from a long line of Royal Navy men but joined Earth Space Command because of his fear of drowning. Later his involvement with Section 31 and MACO complicates his position and his actions threaten his position of Enterprise. He later marries his childhood friend Mark Lowell (Carlo Rota) in season 5.

Anthony Montgomery as Travis Mayweather (main: seasons 1–5, recurring: season 6) is the Helmsman of Enterprise. A "space boomer", Travis is unique on Enterprise, having been born in space. Son of a freighter captain, Travis knows many of the alien species as well as locations that Earth traders frequent. As Enterprise moves farther and farther from Earth, his value in this area lessens, but his skill at the helm is constantly appreciated, making him the pilot of choice for many missions. He leaves in the middle of Season 6 to join the Earth Cargo Service and help his family after his mother dies in a Nausicaan pirate attack.

Linda Park as Hoshi Sato (main: seasons 1–6) is the former Communications Officer of Enterprise (later Science Officer after Season 5) and a linguistic genius. Capable of learning alien languages extremely quickly, Hoshi serves as the interpreter between the crew of Enterprise and new alien species, even after the universal translator is on-line. She suffered anxiety about her place onboard Enterprise, but exposure to frequent danger helped her realize her value to the ship. She retrains as a science officer following T’Pol’s promotion to First Officer. Sato’s mirror universe character, who becomes the Empress of the Terran Empire, became a fan favourite with Sato sent to stop the USS Defiant from entering the Prime Universe by space time traveller Daniels in season 6, with no way to get home.

Connor Trineer as Charles ‘Trip’ Tucker III (main seasons 1–6, recurring: season 7) is Chief Engineer of Enterprise and a long-time friend of Captain Archer. He starts the series xenophobic to aliens and alien cultures, which includes the aftermath of the Xindi Incident and the death of his sister, Liz. However, Trip becomes more seasoned and outspoken as the series runs. He becomes one of the smartest minds in Earth Space Command and becomes one of the strongest proponents of unification after his experiences with other cultures. His relationship with T’Pol advances as the series continues on and he marries her at the end of Season 4 (just before the Andorian-Vulcan War begins). They later have a child in Season 5 together named Elizabeth ‘Liz’. Trip however due to his relationship with T’Pol and his revered status on Andoria. He dies at the end of Season 5 in a bombing by the now radicalised Terra Prime. Trineer returns in a recurring role during the Resistance arc of the Mirror Universe plot leading the alien revolution against the Terran Empire and returns in flashbacks in T’Pol’s and Liz’s visions.

Jeffrey Combs as Thy’lek Shran. (main: seasons 4–6) is Commander of the Andorian starship ISS Kumari, who aids Archer and United Earth during various crises. Shran becomes a recurring character in Season 4 and joins the NX Enterprise after Archer rescues Shran after the destruction of the Kumari. From then agfter he serves as a liaison officer from Andoria onboard the Enterprise and serves until he is killed defending Andoria from Vulcan attack.

Zachary Quinto as Tom Barker (main seasons 4–7) who joins in Season 5 as a doctor with the Interspecies Medical Exchange. Barker is a young genius and after becomes head doctor in Season 5 when Phlox chooses to move off the ship and founds Starfleet Medical. Barker is shown to be a quiet and solitary member of the crew, rarely socialising with the NX-01 crew but grows close to T’Pol’s and is passionately committed to the Federation and Starfleet. Barker is a pacifist and struggles serving onboard Enterprise during wartime.

Paul Blackthorne as Grant Phillips (main season 5) is the replacement for Mayweather as Chief Helmsman. Grant struggles to fit in amongst the mostly younger crew but forms a friendship with Malcolm Reed. He has a relationship with Erika Hernandez from the Academy and in the final arc of Season 5 is revealed to have links with Terra Prime. As such he organises a coup on the Enterprise and exiles the aliens on board (T’Pol, Liz and a few Andorians, and Tucker) on Pollux IV, before being eventually stopped by Reed and other ESC loyalists. He is arrested in the finale of Season 5 after planning to disrupt the Andorian-Vulcan Peace conference.

Gina Torres as Felicity Udall (main seasons 6–7) is a science officer who replaces Sato. Having served aboard NX-02 Columbia before its destruction, Torres suffers from PTSD which she hides for fear of being forced to resign and becomes addicted to drugs in the process. In season 7, she suffers an overdose but by the end of the season recovers and is able to return to service.

Kal Penn as Simon “Si” Harper (main seasons 6-7) becomes the Chief Helmsman after the Blackthorne’s department. Harper is hot-headed and prone to making mistakes, but is still well-liked by the crew. During the Earth-Romulan War Harper becomes injured and reskills to become the “chief morale officer” and eventually moves away from being the Helmsman, preferring his new role instead.

Doug Jones as Mattu (main seasons 6–7) a member of the Calari species, he was recruited by Archer in Season 6 and began training with the ESC after rescuing the Captain from his home planet. After extensive training, Mattu joins the S.S. Enterprise as an engineering officer, joining the bridge crew. The crew learn to trust and become more familiar with Mattu and his alien biography and different mannerisms. He grows invaluable among and a well-respected and liked figures among the crew, eventually rising to become its Chief Engineer.

Last edited:
Great Offices of State
A.N. Sorry for the long delay for updates for this TL, but I'm really busy IRL and I sort of hit a wall (again). I promise there won't be as long of a gap as there was over last summer, but the next few updates require a lot of work (Sweden, 2004 US and Labour leadership elections) and I'm procrastinating starting them. I've got a ton of stuff after 2004, but I need to get past the rest done before. In lieu, and to celebrate Exocet's one year anniversary on this half of the site, I've made a few boxes showing the holders of the Great Offices of State in Exocet until present day (TTL 2004).

Prime Minister
29MsFO9.png

Chancellor of the Exchequer
1LV8gDw.png

Home Secretary
Ak1t4WU.png

Foreign Secretary
e08cOwe.png

2004 Swedish general election
A.N And here is the promised Sweden update, which is dedicated to @KingSweden24, who helped me through both its creation and offered me .some great advice on it. It has a few minor retconns which I will fix in the TL at a later point, but I wanted to get this update out this week, so hope you enjoy!

Swedish politics has been dominated by the presence of Olof Palme and continues to do so to the present day. Along with being one of Sweden’s longest serving premiers at 14 years (only his mentor and predecessor Tage Erlander served longer than him), Palme was widely regarded as a titan of the Social Democratic party and movement along with being both highly charismatic and a visionary to boot.

Serving for most of the 1980s, Palme’s government largely continued and promoted the Swedish “Third Way”, harnessing social democracy to achieve more equitable . Palme, ever prescient of political trends, largely outmanoeuvred the nascent Green movement during his term in office. Beginning the process of winding down nuclear power, bringing in stringent environmental targets and introducing the first carbon tax in 1989 went a long way to blunting the appeal of the Green Party.

However, Palme, was fallible. As the Swedish economy entered a significant and sustained period of negative growth beginning in 1990s, painful cuts to the welfare state were required to balance the budget. Years in office and at the head of the Social Democratic Party, meant that Palme began to employ a macro-management approach to his Cabinet and allowed significant delegation to his more right-wing Finance Minister Kjell-Olof Feldt.

It soon became clear by the turn of the Nineties, the effects of Palme’s old age began to weigh on the PM. Admitting at the Swedish Trade Union Confederation (LO) conference he was spending more of his time focusing on “his family and his future”, was the starting gun for succession preparations.

Almost immediately after this conference, Palme faced down a parliamentary and government crisis with the 1990 budget. Feldt’s threat of resignation if he couldn’t implement his policies, continual squabbling between him and many other Social Democrats and a gentle suggestion from his wife, set Palme’s mind. Shortly after the budget crisis’ resolution (largely in Feldt’s favour) Palme announced that he was resigning as both PM and Social Democrat leader and a new leader would be chosen by May 1990.

rYPM9u6.png

Feldt enters the race as the frontrunner, after Ignvar Carlsson chooses to sit out hoping for a plum job in the next Cabinet. Feldt’s leadership campaign seems unstoppable until the leftists within the Social Democrats rally behind the environment minister Birgitta Dahl. Dahl, who has a successful track record in government and gets Palme’s unofficial nod, means that the coronation turns into a slug-match. Battling for endorsements, union support and votes, a brutal Congress followed which sees Feldt narrowly take the crown.

The bad-blood from the leadership election, and a general lack of fresh talent for the Social Democrats sees the party goes into the Nineties divided and without a tranche of ambitious and well-groomed politicos. Largely as a result of the rise of the “Unionist Left”, an unholy yet massive amalgamation of leftists Social Democrats, Greens, Communists and disenchanted and radical union members, Feldt loses goodwill in the Riksdag and becomes bracketed by divisions.

However, it was under Feldt that neo-liberalism became the agenda of the Social Democrats. Significant reductions in both the welfare state and government expenditure followed and all its leaders after Feldt would often embrace such economically liberal positions.

It was clear from the onset of Feldt’s election as PM that 1991 was going to be a difficult election. Feldt, the Finance Minister since 1982 and then the Prime Minister was easy to blame for both the recession. Social Democrats had been in power for a generation. Feldt wasn’t Palme and Palme’s continual sniping from the sidelines did little to generate goodwill within the Social Democrats. Further, Bildt had managed to capture the imagination of voters and was widely liked. 1991 saw the right win an absolute majority (counting the Moderates, Liberals and Christian Democrats as the right) in the Riksdag and was more than enough to make Bildt PM.

Bildt’s term as Prime Minister was, similar to Falladin’s government in the late 1980s, unstable. Whilst the party (and the centre-right) had a more stable majority in the Riksdag, the political circumstances surrounding his government remained difficult. Without the restraint of Feldt, Bildt’s programme of liberalisations proved a massive shock to the system and such moves led to significant economic and political turbulence. The Social Democrats, now led by the young dynamo Mona Sahlin, is able to damage Bildt and his policies and moves past its own internal squabbling.

Of particular concern to the political establishment was the morphing of the “New Democracy” party, which had entered the Riksdag in 1991 as a populist outfit. The rise of the Islamophobic Vivianne Franzén within the party and the resignation of the party’s co-founder in 1993 meant that by 1994, a far-right party was propping up the government. Bildt recognised this threat, but proved either unwilling or unable to end his government’s reliance on ND.

However, Bildt’s greatest failure would be with the economy. His prescription failed and soon he began looking to Europe for a solution. Coinciding with the fall of the Soviet Union, Sweden (now more economically aligned to Europe and its liberal economic principles) actively begins to consider EU membership, which Bildt and his cabinet fully endorse. Bildt, in one of his final pieces of work as PM, organizes a referendum on Europe membership in 1994.

The 1994 election was supposed to be a decade-defining election which would cut through the turmoil and deliver a clear result either for the left or for the right. In fact, the election only magnified the chaos both economic and political within Sweden. As expected the Moderates lost a significant chunk of the vote and Riksdag seats, with Bildt having soured on the public and his party (ironically) losing moderate voters on issues like Europe and ND’s presence in Parliament.

However, the biggest loser of the election would be Sahlin’s Social Democrats. Sahlin struggled on the campaign trail far more expected, was widely seen as under-qualified to be PM and was sensationally was placed under investigation by Sweden’s National Anti-Corruption Unit after several allegations of impropriety, a week before the election. In a time of economic stagnation, such allegations, explosive in regular times, derailed Sahlin and the Social Democrats. As such, the smaller parties on both the left, right make significant gains, including worryingly the ND’s, despite all parties refusing to work with the “morphed” party in the new Riksdag.

Q71PiWQ.jpg

Bildt and Sahlin, both politically damaged, heavily complicated the government negotiations which followed in 1994. Bildt, who’s Moderates had taken a body-blow proved unable to rally the smaller right-wing parties behind a minority government, whilst Sahlin herself was unable to get the support of the Unionist Left, Centre and even her own party to become PM. Sahlin resigned as leader a few weeks into the government negotiations, recognising her position was untenable.

Calls for a “government of national unity” led by either a technocrat or by Centre member Karin Söder, who was undergoing cancer treatment at the time, entered the discourse, but it seemed as if an early election would be the only device able to break the deadlock.

Only through the support of the now leaderless Social Democrats, is a “unity government” headed by Bengt Westerberg is formed. Westerberg, popular with voters and the leader of the third largest party, the Liberal People’s Party, corrals a government together with Social Democrat and Centre support.

As such this “unity government” begins preparing for the upcoming EU accession referendum scheduled for November, with Westerberg proving a particularly passionate and effective campaigner in favour of ascension. With the economic turmoil and recession of the past years, many Swedes accept that a significant change is required and the EU offers this change. Whilst 54% of Swedes backing EU membership, Westerberg’s government lurches into even deeper crisis.

This crisis stemmed from the Centre Party, rankled by and in the government. Issues with the construction of the Øresund Bridge from Malmø to Copenhagen, right-wing voters deserting the party with its presence in a left-wing government and the general instability of Söder’s leadership all negatively affect the party’s poll ratings. The inaugural European Parliament election sees Centre fail to win a single seat, a catastrophic result for once of the largest parties in Sweden. Such a result sees the incumbent leader, Karin Söder finally resign as leader and is replaced by the more right wing and combative Maud Olofsson.

Olofsson, in October 1995, announces that she will withdraw Centre’s support from the government and pledges support for s new government led by the newly elected Moderate party leader Per Westerberg (no relation to Bengt). Now with a minority, Westerberg saw the vultures circling. What followed was a short and sharp and successful no confidence motion, with Westerberg deposed as both PM and later as the Liberal People’s leader next year.

bXIwVc4.png

Perrson, who had taken over the Social Democrats after Sahlin’s resignation, has spent his time as a junior member of Westerberg’s government reaching out to the United Left and splinters and trying to corral support. Perrson, was thus able to form a minority government with United Left support as the right bickered amongst itself. However, with the challenges and political instability of the last 6 years, Persson government largely acted as a placeholder and Persson himself recognised the need for a snap election to renew his mandate.

The 1996 election sees the United Left wiped out, with the splinters and splits seen since the EU referendum and joining Persson’s government decimating the party’s ranks. This meant that even as the Social Democrats made marginal gains, the government was doomed. A concerning trend continued with the rise of New Democracy, which had gone from strength-to-strength with the rising islamophobia seen since the Noël Attack and acted as a significant problem for the Riksdag to functional government. Per Westerberg, the leader of the Moderates was thus the only possible figure to be able to become PM.

With New Democracy a thorn in the side of all parties, (the right has a plurality in the Riksdag, even despite the ND continuing to maintain its ground) Per Westerberg becomes PM with an informal agreement between the Moderates and Social Democrats to isolate the ND’s within the Riksdag.

After the years of political chaos and economic turbulence, Westerberg is seen as a return to normal. As the economy finally improves with inflation finally easing and budget deficits reducing, means that austerity can be eased. As Westerberg positions himself as cosmopolitan elite, but his decision (along with all his fellow Scandinavian colleagues) to reject membership of the ecuzone is seen as a political masterstroke, and allows for the euroskeptic nation to maintain its distance from Europe and retain significant economic independence. Westerberg, more than any of his other predecessors since Palme, benefits from good luck and manages to win a squeaker of a re-election in 2000, with Persson finally forced out as the Social Democrats leader. With this re-election (regardless of the photo-finish) Westerberg goes on to become the most electorally successful centre-right Prime Minister in Sweden since WWII and seemed, at least in the early 2000s, to have ushered in the end of the Social Democrats hegemony.

Four defeats on the trot for the Social Democrats leaves the party consumed by a semi-perpetual state of chaos and recriminations. In a final roll of the dice, the party choose the fresh faced and the relatively inexperienced Margot Wallström to be its new leader. However Wallström, unlike Sahlin before her, proves a far more capable campaigner and she becomes a global figure of well renown, with glitzy interviews and spreads from Vogue, Time and the Economist lauding her and her policies.

As the "Wallström-wave" sweeps Sweden in 2004, the Social Democrats and her fellow left-wing parties enter government with a significant mandate. Offering a compassionate middle ground between the social democracy and capitalism, Wallström is undeniably a much needed breathe of fresh air for Swedish politics.

Qs4fkYl.png

Despite this, pundits and members of parliament now see, with in January 2005, the ecu becoming legal tender across Europe, the remainder of the decade in Swedish politics will still be defined by the never-ending debate on Europe. Wallström promise of change may soon fall to the time and tested arguments over Europe. Whether the new PM can cement Sweden's place within the bloc is, however, another question.

Last edited:
Great stuff and thanks for the shout out! Glad I could help, and I love this take on an alt-90s in Sweden.

One quibble - did Palme make a change on his position on nuclear power before the end of the 1980s here? His strong support of it was a major reason why the anti-nuke 1980 referendum failed.

A.N. Sorry for the long delay for updates for this TL, but I'm really busy IRL and I sort of hit a wall (again). I promise there won't be as long of a gap as there was over last summer, but the next few updates require a lot of work (Sweden, 2004 US and Labour leadership elections) and I'm procrastinating starting them. I've got a ton of stuff after 2004, but I need to get past the rest done before. In lieu, and to celebrate Exocet's one year anniversary on this half of the site, I've made a few boxes showing the holders of the Great Offices of State in Exocet until present day (TTL 2004).

Take your time, real life always comes first. Sorry to drop out from following the TL in the last months, but I'm back and trying to catch up.

I see the Blake and Tiger were also available in 1982. They were in good condition but weren't reactivated because they wouldn't be ready in time. The damage to the Invincible changes all that. This means even more bad news for Argentina. The fleet retires and spends the Northern Summer making repairs and refitting old war horses. A large order for CIWS would also give the fleet some serious close-in defence capability. So by the following November when the Southern Summer is about to return the Royal Navy sets sail for the South Atlantic. It has HMS Hermes, HMS Invincible, and HMS Illustrious as fleet carriers with HMS Bulwark as a Commando Carrier. The Helicopter Cruisers Tiger and Blake provide 6 inch guns for shore bombardment, four Sea King Helicopters each and command and control facilities. The Type 22 class frigates Brilliant and Brazen have commissioned and join their sisters Broadsword and Battleaxe. The Type 42 Destroyers Southampton and Liverpool are also able to join the fleet. The addition of those four ships replaces those sister-ships lost in the initial campaign.

Great stuff and thanks for the shout out! Glad I could help, and I love this take on an alt-90s in Sweden.

One quibble - did Palme make a change on his position on nuclear power before the end of the 1980s here? His strong support of it was a major reason why the anti-nuke 1980 referendum failed.
Ah yeah, that's fair. I'd imagine Chernobyl would probably have a significant effect on Palme, especially as Sweden was one of the nations hit worst by the fallout. Both individually and politically, nuclear power is less popular so there's a move away from nuclear power and towards alternative sources, which Palme goes along with.

Take your time, real life always comes first. Sorry to drop out from following the TL in the last months, but I'm back and trying to catch up.
Haha thanks and hey no problem at all. Glad to see you back!

Last edited: