Everything ASB with the Draka Series

I have never read but I have heard that it's history is ridiculously implausible. I know the plots, so I want to know how wrong it is about everything.

There used to be an excellent site where it chronicled everything wrong with the Draka through it's timeline year by year but it's down now I believe.

However, it was a very long list so there was quite a bit insane about it...

Saphroneth

Banned
I have never read but I have heard that it's history is ridiculously implausible. I know the plots, so I want to know how wrong it is about everything.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120107...story.com/gateway/analyses/Drakaproblems.html

By the mighty Ian.

There used to be an excellent site where it chronicled everything wrong with the Draka through it's timeline year by year but it's down now I believe.

However, it was a very long list so there was quite a bit insane about it...

Wayback machine, man.

Although Draka takes such measures to extremes, the idea of a pro-slavery polyethnic nation arising from South Africa is not totally ASB. It would require significant tweaking, especially in the realm of technology and culture, but having a single country unite and industrialized the whole of southern Africa is plausible and, frankly, frightening. Certainly they would be an economic powerhouse, and technologically could be a leading power as well.

Ian is to be admired for spending so much effort on this.

(I could have added a few points, such as that the Dominion seems ripe for Communist penetration, particularly since they occupied Russian Central Asia. You'd think there would be massive defections to the Soviets, but no.)

What gets me is that the response was that it was a look into the potential worst possible evil. In other words, "It's a fable, so it doesn't have to make sense."

Although Draka takes such measures to extremes, the idea of a pro-slavery polyethnic nation arising from South Africa is not totally ASB. It would require significant tweaking, especially in the realm of technology and culture, but having a single country unite and industrialized the whole of southern Africa is plausible and, frankly, frightening. Certainly they would be an economic powerhouse, and technologically could be a leading power as well.

Sure, but it wouldn't be apart of the UK, and would have to fight the UK for independence. Also, once the Scramble of Africa got heated, it would have to contend with just about every European power. And then Ian makes a point that it would take awhile for them to gain immunity from the diseases.

That article by Ian is why I joined this forum - I'd read Stirling's books, did some research on them, found that piece, some more hunting around, and here I am.

So you know who to blame.

Last edited:
Sure, but it wouldn't be apart of the UK, and would have to fight the UK for independence. Also, once the Scramble of Africa got heated, it would have to contend with just about every European power. And then Ian makes a point that it would take awhile for them to gain immunity from the diseases.

Any pro-slavery stance will alienate the new nation from Britain some time in the mid-1800s (most likely 1848-1861). The new nation will trade with Brazil and the United States, probably serving as a refuge for some of the Confederates from the Civil War. Gradual northern expansion from the Cape Colonies will also result in a unique form of English probably taking influence from Afrikkans, Xosa, and Zulu languages. With more time they will each influence the other (whether they want to or not) and gradual expansion from southern Africa will heat up more after the Scramble begins, but until 1850 or so only the Portugese outposts in coastal Mozambique and Angola, little other territory will be disputed as everything else from modern Kenya to modern Congo on south is not claimed by Europeans even at that time.

I think someone (Municpal Engines?) is writing a more palsuible Draka TL

How would a Draka timeline be affected by Canada sucessfuly joining the ARW and thus forming part of the United States, then the Loyalists would mainly go to South Africa.

Of course there are other ASB issues with the Draka timeline but this POD would change a lot in relation to that TL and make some aspects possible. For example the annexation of all of Mexico...