Ever Sunrise Bound: A True Account of our Oriental Odyssey. By Apollon Anthroides.

I’d not seen one hair on my chin when I was commissioned into the Sotopoli Oceanic Company; but before I’d feel land beneath my feet again for more than a single season, my beard had grown to my chest. A recent windfall from the latest voyage has reacquainted me with the land. My young family and our quaint little homestead are far too dear to risk, and so I will not take to the oceans again. However, in my life atop the waves I saw the three great oceans and all those fabled lands beyond Christendom: Barat, Sinae, the Spice Isles, Mexico and Occidinessia.

While I count some dozen of my years as a sailor, the greatest extents of those travels were as part of just one voyage - the last, under the command of the great surveyor and privateer Harold Witcliffe. As the sole survivor of Witcliffe’s expedition, I have been hounded for questioning these whole two years since my return, first by agents of the state, then by all my neighbours and the townsfolk and thereafter by a quite relentless stream of scholars from across the Confederation and beyond. So tiresome have these questions become that I have set about recording the typical answers in this here book, though I am by no means a natural bard or storyteller. But that Edwinson, or Epiron - two dear fellows of the voyage, had survived to tell you of it. They'd no doubt do so in cleverer and more beautiful words.

Most of a sailor’s voyages are mundane, I will therefore save boring you with an exhaustive account of them, other than to say that I’d been rounding the cape for near ten years by the time I was commissioned on Witcliffe’s expedition.

Upon meeting the great surveyor it came as a shock to us Hellenes of the crew that he was fluent not only in the classical tongue, as most educated men are, but in the modern dialect of our genus. The few Saksixmen I’d ever met who knew our language had all grown up right about the Hellopoli of Southampton, Bristowe or London; save one had married a Hellene maid. However, Witcliffe had attained his fluency in a mere quarter year from the London Hellenes - for the sole purpose of the expedition. We were all, having been raised in Saksland, Saksix speakers too, though much impressed were we by his efforts to speak in our tongue. I too am something of a linguist, having learnt many of the Latinates, some Arab and a little Barati in the service of the company.

While rounding Africa over those long months, so often depleted, Witcliffe and the others members of the crew not of the company became feverish to hear of Barat.
“Tell me again of the market at Goa - spare no detail”. So I recounted of the great alien fruits in their bright colours and odd shapes - of the vast mounds of spices as if dunes of sand and of hawkers who served food other than hardtack and salted fish.

Finally, on a day which felt to us like mid-may, but was instead close to Yule, we saw substantial land for the first time since the Eastern cape and made head long toward it. Within a half mile suddenly the fishermen’s huts were visible, then the odd person. However, on seeing the ship they became easily frightened and sprang off out of sight as quickly as they could. Now, even the most sea-hardy old boys aboard were itching for the comforts of land. The jubilation of sailors on a long voyage upon reaching shore far surpasses any Yule feast, I assure you. It was due to this excitement that we did ignore the warning signs.

Surmising that we were too far to the south, and not yet spying a decent port, we reluctantly pushed further up coast before making anchor. However, the further north we sailed, the more wicked the sights became. The weather came to compliment the destruction; foul black clouds, roaring winds and in the distance a curtain of rain so thick as to obscure the horizon. The huts were very often burnt to cinders - and finally, hoisted over a crumbling red brick look-out tower we saw the triple cross flag of the fearsome Omani Kingdom flying, where on all previous voyages had been the Banner of Bangalore.
“They chase our wake - seven galleys - drawing ever closer.” Said Gildamir, to hear a measure of terror in our chief marine’s voice was most disquieting.
“Have we room to escape?”
“Unlikely at their speed, save perhaps to head straight back out to sea.”
“With that tempest brewing?”

The priest Thoread began wailing protests to Poseidon as the thud of a canon ball came crashing into the water, so close as to spray those at the stern.
“A warning…” Witcliffe shouted to reassure us, though in his voice was much doubt. “Make haste to my quarters, second drawer down, find the African standard and hoist it.”
Thoread was instantly incensed, fighting against the terrible tremors of the ship he went to meet Witcliffe at his eyes.
“The lord of the Ocean shall not look kindly on our vessel beneath the Nazarene’s cross.”
“If Poseidon should sink every Christian ship, at least he’ll take the Omanis with us.”
“I knew of your privateering as I boarded. But so mercenary? I could not have fathomed. For shame.”
“Captain Witcliffe - that is how you’ll address me lest you wish for a flogging, priest!”
“Well, Captain, as much as its your duty to guide this ship, it is mine to guide our souls. Your apostasy will not go unpunished.”
Witcliffe reached to his back belt and cracked a cat o’ nine tails against the air.
“And nor shall your insubordination.”

The captain looked behind and several of us made haste to hoist the green cross flag. Thoread looked dumbfounded, searching for sympathetic eyes, a voice which would rise up to defend the order of the land from whence we came, where a priest of lofty birth should never suffer a whipping from an upstart privateer of a lesser name. However, among us men of the sea the captain’s rank was clearly greater. We made closer to the coast, almost at risk of beaching over the cracking sound of three firm lashes against the priest’s alabaster back and his hideous screeching.

Finally the Omanis reached us and were permitted with a great show of kindness to board. Witcliffe and some Latinate speakers, I included, had come forward, while those who could not feign an African identity stayed quite far behind. Witcliffe signed the cross at the Omani captain before speaking. Their captain’s stature belied the power he held over his crew. Squat almost to the point of roundness, with straggly hair, as black as Whitby jet. His bulbous eyes almost popping from his head as he surveyed our ship.

Parlo Afrikano M’amiko? Mi na parlo Arabo”.
“Yusuf” yelled the Omani captain. The man Yusuf hurried quite as quickly as his balance allowed across the board to our ship. (The following exchange was in Afrikano, though I translate it for the reader)
“What is your purpose in our sea?” Asked Yusuf.
“Exploration, and, with god’s grace, to spread the good word among the heathens.”
“And why did you wait until we were in sight to hoist your flag? Pirates seek to hide their identity, and think nothing of pretending another should it benefit them.” Witcliffe gave himself just a moment to compose his thoughts, careful not to take too long.
“We were not aware on our departing of Oman’s presence on this coast. Expecting to be met by hostile heathens we did what was necessary to reach shore in safety.”
“A Christian must never hide their allegiance to the lord. What are the martyrs thinking as they look down from the heavens at your display of Lukewarm faith?”
“Some of us must accept a measure of sin in the name of a greater cause. If I am hellhound for hiding the flag, yet it allows us to teach the heathens in Barat of the Lord, so be it.”

Yusuf and his captain spent some time deliberating in Arabic, far too fast for me to comprehend, with the captain’s shouts ever more barking in their tone. Then, without asking, the Captain barged passed us and tried to quiz the rest of the crew attempting to busy themselves and shrink their presence.
“You will not get anything from them, Northern heathens, slaves. Ones so insensible as to reject Christ are incapable of learning other languages.” I called out, forgetting myself. However, Witcliffe gave me the faintest smile in return.
“This is not my experience. True brilliance is reserved for the servants of the Lord, however many heathens are imbued with Satan’s cunning.”
While still facing the Omanis with a broad smile Witcliffe whispered through the side of his mouth at me,
“Get below deck, prepare the canons on both lines facing their nearest ships.”

I confess that this order seemed to me like suicide, but the likely captivity we should face when they grew tired of our facade may well have been a worse fate. I dropped in an instant to my belly, and went crawling across the sodden, splintery deck to a hatch behind us. Hurtling down, I gave orders to load the canons, a challenge to do so all in silence. With the balls placed in the barrels and the charges ready to be lit, I started trembling upon realising that Witcliffe had not given me orders of an exact moment to fire. Did he mean right away? Should we choose the wrong time might it doom our brothers atop deck? The very instant we pushed the canons forth our adversaries would know our plan. Their small galleys were not decked as ours, two canons each on either side. We had to assume they were as ready to fire as we.

The men and I were all silent, sweating profusely not only under the baking heat but the trepidation also. Thwack! The door to the range was slammed wide open. Gildamir acting on instinct lept forward and thrust his sabre into the neck of the first Omani who entered.
“NOW!” I roared. A shot was fired into the range from the Omani crew at the door, cracking the skull of one of ours, his blood and brains bursting about the room. Gildamir slammed his great flame against the door and I rushed to take the place of our fallen brother. Eighteen guns all fired at once, the range filled with light and smoke and sound. The two closest Omani galleys were asplintered and we drew back the canons, reloading them in a fit. Atop deck were the sounds of banshee wails and thunderous shots. We could only imagine the Martian scene.

Last edited:
Crusader state in North Africa?
So the POD is in the 260’s and one of the butterflies is no Islam. Africa becomes a well established nation, Christian in faith and Latinate in language, the aristocracy have remote Vandalic ancestry but are entirely absorbed into this culture.

Would it be beneficial to provide an overview of the timeline up to the point of the story (taking place in the 16th century) or better to hint exposition gradually through the story? (Genuine question).

So the POD is in the 260’s and one of the butterflies is no Islam. Africa becomes a well established nation, Christian in faith and Latinate in language, the aristocracy have remote Vandalic ancestry but are entirely absorbed into this culture.
Nice. I've thought of making a North African Romance conlang, although it'd be in OTL's Morocco instead of Tunisia, which is where I'm assuming TTL's African Romance is. The problem is that I have almost no knowledge of Latin, can't read the IPA and have no training in linguistics. Would like to see more of TTL's African Romance, as well as more of the backstory in general.

Nice. I've thought of making a North African Romance conlang, although it'd be in OTL's Morocco instead of Tunisia, which is where I'm assuming TTL's African Romance is. The problem is that I have almost no knowledge of Latin, can't read the IPA and have no training in linguistics. Would like to see more of TTL's African Romance, as well as more of the backstory in general.
Yeah, if I can get my hands on a PC I’ll make a map, but you’re spot on, this ‘Africa’ is OTL Tunisia, north-Western Algeria and Libya. TTL Morocco is Berber speaking and Christian.
I also can’t pretend to know much about linguistics tbh, which is why I stopped at the one sentence, lol.
Seems like it could definitely do with a run down of history and a breakdown of the current geopolitics (as of the 1590’s). Basically Western Europe mostly adheres to a reformed polytheistic faith, while much of Eastern Europe, the Balkans, North Africa, Caucasus, Fertile crescent, Arabia, Nile valley and Horn are Christian.
The Hellenes are an ethnoreligious minority across Western Europe. The largest of a few such religious minorities as Western Europe absorbed a lot of non-Christians during a very different fall of the Roman Empire.

Just saw this last night, Watched!

I have some thoughts about a scenario leading to the situation you describe--though I would have thought the Vandal Christian realm would have moved to take Egypt, which would I think explain a lot of things. But I will try to write a PM with my notions to run by you, and surely you've thought of some twists of your own I'd never think of. Perhaps the Vandalic legacy (after over a thousand years the old realm is probably gone, though apparently perhaps the East Roman Empire is not yet, after all it wasn't quite gone by this late date OTL if I guess at the era correctly) did indeed take Egypt and its successor has since lost it, but Egypt is anyway also a Christian land still?

It seems the Christians pretty much occupy the same spaces the Muslims did by this time OTL, more or less, perhaps minus the steppes of Central Asia and plus other places--I'm thinking West Africa.

OK, off to write a PM for now. I can't say too much tonight, gotta go to work early tomorrow.

Three rounds were fired before their retreat. I admit to fear as I finally emerged upwards, clambering over bodies in the hall. Gildamir was still in a frenzy like his berserker forebears of yore. He was painted in blood which dripped hideously down his great ginger beard and scarred face.

Our ship, the Lioness, sustained two particularly great blows before their galleys had taken flight. We’d some ninety-eight souls aboard on departure from Southampton, twelve had perished of maladies on route to that point and another fourteen alighted to Valhalla in the course of that battle. Our first task on winning the day way to patch the Lioness up as best we could for now. Blood, ours and theirs, soaked deeply all the boards. The second task was to throw off all the bodies and parts of flesh which littered the decks before they could fetter, or feed the rats for a breeding frenzy.

“We’ve perhaps an hour, if the fates are smiling on us.” Witcliffe stated sombrely.
“Before the ship sinks?” Asked Dr. Edwinson, a novice to the sea, as he unflinchingly saw through the leg of a poor lad who’d taken a canon shot right to a now tattered foot.
“Before they return in far greater number. If we keep on top of the leaks we might have a day.”
“Which direction then captain?” Spoke Epiron, our ship’s second mate, and senior most of the Hellenes aboard. This seemed an impossible decision for Witcliffe to make, unfamiliar as he was with these waters. A master sailor, no doubt. Our captain knew the seas of the West well and had surveyed to great esteem the multitude of islands of Occidinesia and thereafter the coasts of Mexico. However, he had no way of telling which direction might mean safety as the extent of the Omani conquests was entirely unknown.
“…they fled both North and South. Likely they’ve bases either side. Which way would you go Epiron?”
“If the Baratis have held any coast at all it will be beyond the Pok strait, to the south then round a cape. Many days away, more as we’re carrying some of the sea with us.”
“There was a river, five miles or so southward. With great effort perhaps we could make our way inside. It did not seem very busy.” I added, if only to provide another option to dismiss.
“A risk to be sure. Just as likely walking into the lion’s jaws as deliverance.” Epiron replied.
“But that we had time for scouting parties.” Added Gildamir.
“We’ve not the hands either. Keeping our ship afloat shall take every man, and ideally also those we’ve lost.” Said Witcliffe.
“Nought’s e’er ideal at sea.” Epiron seconded.
Thoread had been silent since his lashing, but had finally summoned the courage to speak again.
“If it is a minor river, the Omanis should likely not populate it much, if at all. Their invasion was recent, all signs of devastation attest to that. The locals will be much aggrieved against them and I assert, quite likely to assist us should we show that we too are enemies to the Christian scourge.”

Witcliffe was not one to hold grudges, and while Thoread’s words were spoken with some nervousness, they needn’t have been. The earlier confrontation had been forgotten by the captain. Indeed, I believe Witcliffe was the sort to secretly detest using his whip, though his rank compelled him to. Without any mind to enmity between the priest and himself, he heartily agreed with Thoread’s statement. The priest’s reaction in turn was not so forgiving. The expression he wore about his crevassed and sunburnt face remained imbued by a rage at the lashing he’d received. However, in fairness to Thoread, it is easier to forget a lashing one gave, than a lashing one received.

The fates did smile on us, at least that day. We found our way inside the river, and taking to oars (quite unsuitable for a vessel as large as ours) travelled a good few miles upstream before the bow struck mud impassable to us. Much of the course to that point was jungled, but where we finally made anchor was by a clearing of many farms.

Gildamir and I made the first venture onto land. The sun was setting with a bloody red brilliance, fires in a village of bamboo huts were being lit, to which we walked. The fields were of the grain called ‘rice’, alien to our part of the world, but ubiquitous all across Asia. Strangely, this grain is grown from a kind of shallow swamp, so it was that across which we yomped to the village. By the time we reached the outskirts we were each caked in mud.
“Let us approach softly”.
“But of course. My sword is sheathed.” Gildamir replied. We all-but tiptoed in, our arms empty and up to the sky. The marine, so brutish in appearance, began to sing the sweetest melody he knew to announce our presence in peace.

"Sumer is icumen in,
Loude sing cuckoo,
Groweth sed,
and bloweth med,
and spingeth wde anew..."

While struck by the strangeness of his action, so committed was Gildamir to his song that I did join him in the round.
A wizened old man, arms little wider than the spear he carried pounced out at us from behind a strange tree, some ten foot wide and it’s trunk a tangle of many knotted vines. The man began shouting in a tongue much different than the Barati with which I presumed myself familiar. I beamed at him a smile, stretched my arms yet higher and dropped the tune.
“We are friends. We are not here to hurt you.” I said in my mangled Barati. He could only be seen faintly under the light of half a moon. What struck me most were his fierce eyes shooting darts of scorn our way. His spear was thrust ever closer to our chests.
“We are not here to hurt you.” I repeated, though it was plain he did not understand, so we retreated with haste.

Returning without success, we had to wonder if we had not worsened our situation with such an arrival.
“They did not speak a word of Barati, and were most hostile.” I reported to the captain with sorrow as we took part in the ant-line ferrying out buckets of brackish water from inside.
“Their hostility might be a blessing yet. Thoread seems to have been correct. They are weary of all outsiders because they presume us to be with the Omanis.” Witcliffe replied, trying his utmost to see the good in our abortive mission.
“Not much of a blessing if we cannot communicate that we mean well.” Said Epiron.
“Your Greek is strange to my ears.” Spoke a faint voice from the back of the room.
“We are no Greeks!” Epiron retorted in disgust. “We are Hellenes, heirs of the culture of Athens, Sparta and Macedon. The Scions of Aristotle, Alexander, Achilles and Hercules himself. Greek!”
The faint voice belonged to Yusuf, the sole captive taken.

“My most humble apology.” Said Yusuf, stretching against his chains quite as far as they would allow. “I should have begun with the fact most pertinent. The people here do not speak ‘Barati’ as you call it. Their language is ‘Kannada’. In any city you will find speakers of Barati, also among their priests, but in a village, none.”
“You speak this tongue?”
“Enough to say that you mean no harm, wish only for timber, water and food. This is what you seek, no?”
Epiron snarled.
“Oh yes, I’m sure you mean us well. After all we’ve only killed a score of your countrymen. We are only heathens in your eyes.”

“Heathens, yes. I am a true christian and will not pretend that your rejection of the lord does not offend me. However, those Omanis - they are not my countrymen. Do you not see? Its quite plain to them that I am not of their nation. Perhaps to you Northerners we are all much the same.
I am of the Amhara nation. Of the land you likely know as ‘Aethiopia’. In the generation hence the Omanis took my homeland most fiercely. They presume to call themselves Christians, though they have rejected Orthodoxy, one and one half thousand years of tradition. They and some others have formed a ‘new church’.
This is all to say, I have no loyalty to them. I merely fear what becomes of my family should I not oblige them.”

Of course we had observed different types among the Omanis. I had always, not having seen Oman, presumed this was similar to how in Saksland there are flaxen and raven hairs in just one family. Yet we all saw it then, Yusuf was of a darker hue and had woolier hair, his nose not prominent as were the Omanis of command.
“Still a Christian.” Added Thoread dismissively.
“And with god’s grace ever shall I remain one. Yet, if you permit me, I shall do all that is necessary to assist you.”
“Why should you do so?”
“There are a few reasons. Most pressingly, when the Omanis find us here, they shall make no distinction and have me killed with you. More importantly, Christ would have helped you, despite your rejection of him.”
“He means to teach us mercy! E’er is the arrogance of their supposed virtue!” Thoread scoffed in Saksix, I presume because he wished to chastise Yusuf without inviting response.
“Humble yourself Thoread. Afterall, we’ve truly no option but to trust him.”

"Hostiles, starboard!" one of the men roared from top-deck. All rushed there, from the hedges on the side of the river bank a few dozen torches were being lit amid the dark night. One was hurled aboard, though caught and tossed aside into the river. Yusuf cried out at the natives. At once they stopped.

Just saw this last night, Watched!

I have some thoughts about a scenario leading to the situation you describe--though I would have thought the Vandal Christian realm would have moved to take Egypt, which would I think explain a lot of things. But I will try to write a PM with my notions to run by you, and surely you've thought of some twists of your own I'd never think of. Perhaps the Vandalic legacy (after over a thousand years the old realm is probably gone, though apparently perhaps the East Roman Empire is not yet, after all it wasn't quite gone by this late date OTL if I guess at the era correctly) did indeed take Egypt and its successor has since lost it, but Egypt is anyway also a Christian land still?

It seems the Christians pretty much occupy the same spaces the Muslims did by this time OTL, more or less, perhaps minus the steppes of Central Asia and plus other places--I'm thinking West Africa.

OK, off to write a PM for now. I can't say too much tonight, gotta go to work early tomorrow.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Would be really grateful for any critical feedback on this. Don't be afraid to be harsh if it's way off the mark, I'd rather know.