EVEN MOAR ETHIOPIA TLS

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by twistedirregular, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Torbald þegn

I'm personally interested in the concept of a more maritime-focused Ethiopia that controls the Bab-el-Mandeb, leading to Christian Arabs and Ethiopians filling the role that the Muslim merchants had IOTL in India and Indonesia.

JDF_01 and Revachah like this.
  2. Mad Bad Rabbit Well-Known Member

Ethiopa as present-day part of (or successor to) Sabaean empire.

3. twistedirregular Negus Negast

What do you think a closer relationship would entail for either Greece or Ethiopia?
    This might be apart of a surviving Aksum TL - what do you think?
    Perhaps we see Ethiopia retaining its foothold in Southern Arabia and re-establishing the Kingdom of Saba as a de-facto puppet state.

4. Vuu Resident Serb expert Banned

I meant to say that the split at Chalcedon doesn't happen, or Ethiopians stay with the Chalcedonians

twistedirregular likes this.
  5. twistedirregular Negus Negast

Sounds quite interesting! What do you think might happen as a result of this?

6. Vuu Resident Serb expert Banned

Well, probably that the Greek influence in Africa is much stronger. It's a rather early PoD, can butterfly Islam and a whole lot of things. Orthodox bushmen petty kings resisting catholic bantu invaders anyone?

7. twistedirregular Negus Negast

How plausible do you think Greek expansion into Ethiopia is with this scenario?

8. Vuu Resident Serb expert Banned

literal expansion/conquest? Nah - unless you somehow brutally exterminate every single tsetse fly and the 1001 environmental hazards that the Greeks will simply find too difficult to bother to deal with - it's why the Romans never tried too hard to go beyond Sudan. But influence is more feasible, though you'd need someone more versed in the intricacies of the period and region to tell you more

9. twistedirregular Negus Negast

Could we potentially see Russia becoming more involved in Ethiopia than IOTL?

10. Vuu Resident Serb expert Banned

Depends if a "Russia" even exists at that point

I'm believing mainstream history of Eastern Europe less and less - most of it based of German and Austrian research from the 19th century and we damn well know that it might not be the most objective

11. twistedirregular Negus Negast

Hmm, too bad! It would be interesting stuff for a Russian Ethiopia TL. Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge.

Perhaps we see Ethiopia more culturally-aligned with Eastern Europe.

12. ramones1986 Grumpy and Lazy

Amhara Region remained Agaw-speaking (Central Cushitic) and their relationship with the Oromo-dominated ATL Ethiopia.

13. twistedirregular Negus Negast

Are you asking about what this would look like or is this a recommendation?

14. ramones1986 Grumpy and Lazy

Both, actually.

15. twistedirregular Negus Negast

I'm not completely sure but this sounds like an interesting scenario - this could happen if we avoid the rise of a Solomonic Ethiopia through keeping the Zagwe Dynasty in power.

ramones1986 likes this.
  16. Old1812 Reactionary Monarchist Twit

Unfortunately, I really can't answer your question. I know very little about Ethiopian history or the Prester John legend in particular.

I see you started a thread on a Russian Ethiopia - suffice to say, you have my attention.

twistedirregular and Revachah like this.
  17. twistedirregular Negus Negast

Nice to see another reader! If I may ask, what do you think will happen in the RE TL?

18. twistedirregular Negus Negast

BUMP

Anyone got any more recommendations? I'm interesting in listening and potentially seeing people become inspired to write their own Ethiopia TLs!

19. FriendlyGhost Haunting history for 45+ yrs

I have almost zero knowledge in this area, but how about something based on a surviving Kingdom of Semien?
    Related, for 1900, wasn't Ethiopia considered as a possible 'homeland' for the Jews before the 2WW? Or am I getting myself mixed up with somewhere else?

20. twistedirregular Negus Negast

IIRC, many Jews took an interest in Ethiopia IOTL prior to and before the Second World War as Jewish immigration from Ethiopia to Palestine was occurring before the Italian invasion of 1935 put a halt to that. Perhaps we see an Ethiopian Royal become King of Israel after World War 2?