Europe United: Where would the Capital be?

Let us say that by 1900 all of Europe was united under one banner and into a cohesive central continent spanning country. It doesn't necessarily matter who united it, whether it be Napoleon, Charles V, the Pope, Habsburg, Hohenzollern, Bismark, Julius Caesar or by some bizarre chance, Leonardo da Vinci....blah blah blah. All that matters is that Europe is united.

Where exactly would the capital be? especially keeping in mind rivers, lakes, forests, hills cliffs, where would the best place be for the capital city to be?

It actually does matter who united it. Napoleon would keep the capital in Paris, The Pope in Rome, etc. I understand your desire for a logical capital, but I don't see why a single person or dynasty who worked hard to conquer other countries would build some Brasilia or DC style city from scratch rather than keep their capital city.

I do like the idea of picking a European capital purely on it's location. It wouldn't happen, but it's a fun exercise. What would the purpose of this capital be, though? Do you want it to be a commercial center in addition to being the administrative capital, or would you prefer a sort hidden castle used by the rulers but maintaining other cities for other purposes?

Well you can't really ignore who or how it was united since that's likely to directly influence where the capital is. Also when it happens is going to affect things as well. The closer it is to 1900 the less geographical factors such as 'rivers, lakes, forests, hills, cliffs' are going to come into play with more widespread tunnels, railway networks and electric telegraph massively cutting travelling times and the speed of communication compared to say the 1500s. I suppose they could go for a symbolic capital such as the city nearest the centre of the united Europe, which will depend on whether you're including European Russia and Iceland in the new state, or building a completely new one such as with Abuja, Canberra, or Naypyidaw at the exact centre to symbolise the new continental identity. Alternatively going for a historical city such as Vienna, Prague, Nurenberg, or Regensburg could be possible but then you run the risk of being seen as possibly favouring one country or region.

It actually does matter who united it. Napoleon would keep the capital in Paris, The Pope in Rome, etc. I understand your desire for a logical capital, but I don't see why a single person or dynasty who worked hard to conquer other countries would build some Brasilia or DC style city from scratch rather than keep their capital city.

I do like the idea of picking a European capital purely on it's location. It wouldn't happen, but it's a fun exercise. What would the purpose of this capital be, though? Do you want it to be a commercial center in addition to being the administrative capital, or would you prefer a sort hidden castle used by the rulers but maintaining other cities for other purposes?
I think it would be good for it to be centralized, certainly politically and administratively, say, if an Emperor/King lived there and used it as their main capital. as well as all the politicians and stuff.

Militarily, economically and financially....well, they are up for debate, but given this is a capital city, i would most likely assume they would be there as well.

Luxembourg seems like a good neutral option.

I like that idea. I was thinking somewhere along the Rhine for the benefit of straddling the Latin/Germanic divide. I also considered the area around Trieste if we want to make the Slavs feel included too.

The problem for me is: You want to pick a central location, but no matter what the other side of the Alps will be a bit of a hike to get to. Not to mention outlying regions like Iberia, British Isles, Scandinavia, The Balkans, (How far into Russia would this go?)

In an effort to put forth a suggestion though, how about Basel? On a big river. border of French and German worlds. Close enough to everywhere else. Not particularly easy for invading armies to get to, but easy enough for your citizens to get to.

I like that idea. I was thinking somewhere along the Rhine for the benefit of straddling the Latin/Germanic divide. I also considered the area around Trieste if we want to make the Slavs feel included too.

The problem for me is: You want to pick a central location, but no matter what the other side of the Alps will be a bit of a hike to get to. Not to mention outlying regions like Iberia, British Isles, Scandinavia, The Balkans, (How far into Russia would this go?)

In an effort to put forth a suggestion though, how about Basel? On a big river. border of French and German worlds. Close enough to everywhere else. Not particularly easy for invading armies to get to, but easy enough for your citizens to get to.

Basel, interesting.

what is yuor opinion of Aachen?

Assuming no territorial bias in the government of this empire, the logical place for the capital would be somewhere in the German lands, probably close to the Danube or Rhine to exploit those trade and communication arteries. Vienna or Frankfurt, maybe.

What about Geneva? Seems like a Swiss city might be logical for its history of neutrality. Luxembourg is a nice pick, what about Liechenstein? Personally I think Munich could work with a canal between the Rhine and Danube maybe via the River Isar somehow.

Basel, interesting.

what is yuor opinion of Aachen?

It worked for Charlemagne and he came closer to ruling Europe than most.

A bit far from Southern Europe, culturally as well as physically, but the problem with picking a European capital is that everywhere is bad for someone. (and everywhere is bad for Eastern Europe)

Most great cities of trade are built on major rivers on the ocean, so I think that even if Aachen was the capital there would be other larger cities in this empire due to their better location for commerce.

It's certainly not a bad choice though.

katchen

Banned
I would build it right at the Rhine Falls at Lake Constanz. Half in Switzerland. Half in Bavaria. Konstanz. The natural setting would be spectacular, and a canal to the Danube relatively easily built. Or Brno in Moravia would be a definite possibility. A canal from the Morava to the Oder has been on the drawing boards for years.

Alternatively you do a combination of the Holy Roman Empire and European Union by not having one fixed capital but a number of them and rotating between them on a fixed schedule, say every four to six months at each city before moving on.

Pavia, Lyon, Strasbourg, Aachen, Prague, Vienna, in a sort of rough order, all seem to be reasonably viable candidates, though obviously not the only ones (historically, IOTL the closest things Europe ever had to a "continental" capital have been Paris, Berlin and Bruxelles, I suppose).

I would build it right at the Rhine Falls at Lake Constanz. Half in Switzerland. Half in Bavaria. Konstanz. The natural setting would be spectacular, and a canal to the Danube relatively easily built. Or Brno in Moravia would be a definite possibility. A canal from the Morava to the Oder has been on the drawing boards for years.

I was actually thinking of Lake Constanz too. But the falls, damn. That would be one sexy city. When were the first bridges across the Rhine constructed and where? Anybody know?

I still like my idea of Basel too, but this city of Konstanz would be extremely cool. Epic stone arches bridging the falls. Views of the lake and the mountains from everywhere in the city. Truly fitting a capital of Europe.

Alternate History Urban Planning- I wish this could be my job...

The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Empire.

I'm fond of a scenario where the Hapsburgs unite Europe and, having finally gotten it back, go back home to the Castle that Bears their Name. It actually is pretty well located for a Capital, being relatively near the heads of two of the most Important Rivers of their Empire, and being very centrally located.

I always liked the idea of Strasbourg. Being both French and German is a good compromise to the two states most likely to co-dominate such a union.

Then again, my Francophilic tendencies make me want to say Paris.

A Swiss city would be my third choice. Preferably one between the German and French language zone, or in the Romansh area.

Frankfurt, Vienna, Strasbourg, Munich are the most logical choices buit in specific situation also Aachen, Geneva, Lyon, Rome, Prague and Paris can be considered.