Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

Md139115

Banned
I just... wow... what is his secret?

20180926024538_1.jpg

Brabant update: I got more than 4 provinces and Burgundy is at war with England, meaning the BI is gonna fire any time. All requirements checked.

But Austria still got Holland & Flanders. Is this due to 70℅ chance for HRE?

The HRE can't ask for unlawful territory if either you or the Emperor are at war. So try to have a secondary war target you can start before you finish the other war. You don't have to take land off of them, just until you finished coring the land.

Have a great game going as Brandenburg but debating weather to join/lead the protestant League.
If you are protestant, do it. It's the best way to deny Austria emperorship. Just make sure that during the war you do everything you can to boost relations with protestant electors so that once the catholic is deposed you become the emperor.

Md139115

Banned
I was within a couple of years from uniting Germany as Prussia. Now the new update and GDPR deleting all previous all previous updates means I can't finish it. :'(

Md139115

Banned
Since I can't, please enjoy these images just so you can see how close I came.

Standard beginning as Brandenburg. Allied as Denmark, pushed east against Pomerania and Teutonic Knights, killing the former and vassalizing the latter. Then I got back their cores from Poland. Got by pure luck a PU with Hesse. A convoluted string of events resulted in me getting PUs on Mecklenberg and Thuringia (after the latter was released in a war against Saxony). Also began taking chunks of Silesia from Bohemia. By this point, I had converted to Protestantism, and my size and high diplomatic reputation meant I was able to vassalize first Oldenburg and then East Frisia. Denmark also moved south into the Empire with my help (not that I minded, I got territory elsewhere for it).

20180927183808_1.jpg

Protestants win the league war. Lithuania, Iberia, Sweden, and Naples are the only Catholic places left in Europe. Poland and most of Germany is Protestant like me and the rest are Reformed. I think I was briefly emperor until Austria converted.

20180928013301_1.jpg

My latest screenshot. By this point, I was the big power in Central Europe, able to throw around my weight with impunity. For some reason, aggressive expansion doesn't really count to outsiders of the HRE unless they happen to be allied to that country, so I'm happily allied with England and Venice and very friendly with France and Spain despite violently hunting down and murdering German states left and right. In this image, I had just diplo-annexed Hesse, was about to inherit Thuringia, and Cologne was my vassal. Although the Hohenzollerns were also on the throne of Wurttemberg, I was never able to force a PU. After this image was taken, I conquered Saxony, annexed my remaining vassals and was fighting a coalition war that I started against the whole rest of the HRE, and winning. In the peace deal, I probably would have seized Pfalz, Aachen, Frankfurt, and Nuremburg. After that,all I would have had to do was attack Bavaria and take Munich and Augsburg to proclaim the German Empire. I likely would have accomplished this by 1700.

20180928202824_1.jpg

Attachments

• 20180930204921_1.jpg
    20180930204921_1.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 337
  • 20180925213445_1.jpg
    20180925213445_1.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 363
  • 20180925213450_1.jpg
    20180925213450_1.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 360
  • 20180926024538_1.jpg
    20180926024538_1.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 357
  • 20180928013244_1.jpg
    20180928013244_1.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 380
  • 20180928205113_1.jpg
    20180928205113_1.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 365
Since I can't, please enjoy these images just so you can see how close I came.

Standard beginning as Brandenburg. Allied as Denmark, pushed east against Pomerania and Teutonic Knights, killing the former and vassalizing the latter. Then I got back their cores from Poland. Got by pure luck a PU with Hesse. A convoluted string of events resulted in me getting PUs on Mecklenberg and Thuringia (after the latter was released in a war against Saxony). Also began taking chunks of Silesia from Bohemia. By this point, I had converted to Protestantism, and my size and high diplomatic reputation meant I was able to vassalize first Oldenburg and then East Frisia. Denmark also moved south into the Empire with my help (not that I minded, I got territory elsewhere for it).

View attachment 412429

Protestants win the league war. Lithuania, Iberia, Sweden, and Naples are the only Catholic places left in Europe. Poland and most of Germany is Protestant like me and the rest are Reformed. I think I was briefly emperor until Austria converted.

View attachment 412431

My latest screenshot. By this point, I was the big power in Central Europe, able to throw around my weight with impunity. For some reason, aggressive expansion doesn't really count to outsiders of the HRE unless they happen to be allied to that country, so I'm happily allied with England and Venice and very friendly with France and Spain despite violently hunting down and murdering German states left and right. In this image, I had just diplo-annexed Hesse, was about to inherit Thuringia, and Cologne was my vassal. Although the Hohenzollerns were also on the throne of Wurttemberg, I was never able to force a PU. After this image was taken, I conquered Saxony, annexed my remaining vassals and was fighting a coalition war that I started against the whole rest of the HRE, and winning. In the peace deal, I probably would have seized Pfalz, Aachen, Frankfurt, and Nuremburg. After that,all I would have had to do was attack Bavaria and take Munich and Augsburg to proclaim the German Empire. I likely would have accomplished this by 1700.

View attachment 412432
That Lithuania border is actually historical.

I love this.

Md139115

Banned
Oh well, I at least achieved "A Fine Goosestep," so I'm happy. Now, the next country I wanted to play as has coincidentally been updated, so...

GAUDE, MATER POLONIA!

I like with the new update poland's mission give you the chance of personal unions with Hungry and later Bohemia.

I was within a couple of years from uniting Germany as Prussia. Now the new update and GDPR deleting all previous all previous updates means I can't finish it. :'(
Since pretty much forever(It didn't when I started but since that was in 1.3 it doesn't say much) game hides saves from previous versions so people don't load them and fuck them up as that kept happening even when Paradox added a warning on load that you had to agree to, you can still risk it if you wish just make sure to make a backup save first, I advise against because the changes often mean you are really playing a different run even if nothing game-breaking happens.

Anyway all you have to do is get the code to unlock previous versions and you can go on playing on previous versions.

Md139115

Banned
Since pretty much forever(It didn't when I started but since that was in 1.3 it doesn't say much) game hides saves from previous versions so people don't load them and fuck them up as that kept happening even when Paradox added a warning on load that you had to agree to, you can still risk it if you wish just make sure to make a backup save first, I advise against because the changes often mean you are really playing a different run even if nothing game-breaking happens.

Anyway all you have to do is get the code to unlock previous versions and you can go on playing on previous versions.

Yeah I read a bit further and found all this out.

Oh well, I’m having fun now. Already strangled Muscovy in the cradle.

Any advice on how to play Provence? I'm planning to take Naples, Catalonia, Sicily & Southern France. And maybe African colonies.

Brabant update. Austria still gets Holland/Flanders in several reloads. This is getting frustrating, to be honest.

Really? It's kinda rare for me when I play. And I don't think I've ever gotten it as Austria.

Yeah I read a bit further and found all this out.

Oh well, I’m having fun now. Already strangled Muscovy in the cradle.

Historically Provence is a bit interesting in a dynastic might have been sort of way. They were direct agnatic Valois descendants so were in line to inherit France, had claims to Aragon, Naples, Hungary, Jerusalem and the Latin Empire as well as ruling Provence and Lorraine and Anjou, but ultimately collapsed and died out.

Basically turn yourself into a Mediterranean Burgundy/Austria is my advice, conquer the Western Mediterranean Coast, fend off France with some coalition (Venice and Austria are good allies- Venice has a navy to beat Aragon and a decent army to beat on the Italian minors- also the Pope if you want Avignon, and even if not pretty much every game I see them rival you and try to go after Provence) then go Crusading versus Africa.

I'd recommend killing Aragon ASAP to avoid having to deal with Spain, keeping relations decent with France to try and stall them from just murdering you on day one, and expanding opportunistically against Tunis, Italian Minors (beware of AE and the Emperor) and Iberia before coalitioning France (Austria inheriting Burgundy is great for you since it means Burgundy won't invade and you have an ally versus the Blob). Diplomatic is probably a must, then go for trade or quality/quantity.

I can't remember- are you part of the Empire to begin with? If yes, kill Savoy and Milan or Genoa first, if not eat the Pope or France or Aragon as target numero uno. You might be able to join, sell Anjou if you have to (to Brittany perhaps, assuming they didn't rival you, or else Burgundy or France?) since it makes your life much easier.

Last edited:
Be me.
Create the custom Kingdom of the Canaries, based off of the historical Norman adventure state that existed there in the early 15th century
Colonize Brazil right off.
Move my capital to Bahía.
Think I'm a smart boy for basing my nation in the New World and getting a thirty year head start on colonization while still being Western.
Now it's the 1590s, and my country has just started to get the standard "Native Americans fall apart due to disease" events, despite that I'm originally European, and that I've been in contact with and bordering other european powers for decades now.
Is this a bug, or a brilliant event chain?

Last edited:
Be me.
Create the custom Kingdom of the Canaries, based off of the historical Norman adventure state that existed there in the early 15th century
Colonize Brazil right off.
Move my capital to Bahía.
Think I'm a smart boy for basing my nation in the New World and getting a thirty year head start on colonization while still being Western.
Now it's the 1590s, and my country has just started to get the standard "Native Americans fall apart due to disease" events, despite that I'm originally European, and that I've been in contact with and bordering other european powers for decades now.
Is this a bug, or a brilliant event chain?
Well, it would make sense that the Native Americans living in your expanding colonial territories would still suffer the effects of disease.