Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

My latest game, managed to spend most of my time as an independent nation, even managed to kick the Ming, the Portuguese, the Spanish and the Ottos out of several Indonesian provinces but ended up as a Ming tributary after losing a war against the Ming-Portuguese alliance because of my horrible military tech ;-;

eu4_1.png

Pkmatrix

Monthly Donor
I could've sworn I had EU4 installed, but apparently I never bought it? So I took a look at Steam and HOLY CRAP how is it still this expensive?? The game is like over six years old and still costs like $40?? I was expecting the base game to be like $20 by this point and the most expensive expansion to be like $9.99 - everything is literally double what I thought it would be. Ugh, I guess I gotta wait for the next sale after all... >_>

So there will be another DLC announced tommorow. The teaser involves the Qing. Which I find curious since they said this would be an European Expansion. So I wonder what changes would be good for China? :)

EC6Gf19X4AAaZ7d

Neat. Of course I haven't played vanilla EU4 in a long while, Since I prefer to play MEIOU and Taxes when I play EU4. Still this is Neat.

Depending on if MEIOU and Taxes is updated when I get my Stellaris AAR done, I might choose EU4 for my next AAR and do one of China. :)

Maybe they'll put in a mechanic for dynastic decline for China so that Ming can actually get taken down by the AI.
This is probably the game's biggest general gameplay problem at the moment as Ming either explodes or dominates East Asia. There's never a dynastic transition unless a player conquers the Ming.

This is probably the game's biggest general gameplay problem at the moment as Ming either explodes or dominates East Asia. There's never a dynastic transition unless a player conquers the Ming.

Maybe it is just me but I tend to play much slower when I play EU4 focusing on developing my country. On the other hand due to how MEIOU and taxes has overhauled development among many other things it tends to be much more enjoyable to do these sort of things or at least I have fun focusing on internal matters over conquering things but then again I hate doing purely conquest games. :p

The Verrazano thread made me think about the Age of Exploration, one of my fave parts of the series: creating a brand new New World! Any good suggestions for how to make it a deeper experience? Any mods that provide more Native states, or potential revolters (it’s funny to see Haiti, Quebec, Mexico, Argentina appear even with different colonial powers- though maybe I’m thinking of EUIII)? Any mods with more colonial options or event chains? Or should I play with randomized New World? Any mods that add dinosaur civilizations or magical fountains

The Verrazano thread made me think about the Age of Exploration, one of my fave parts of the series: creating a brand new New World! Any good suggestions for how to make it a deeper experience? Any mods that provide more Native states, or potential revolters (it’s funny to see Haiti, Quebec, Mexico, Argentina appear even with different colonial powers- though maybe I’m thinking of EUIII)? Any mods with more colonial options or event chains? Or should I play with randomized New World? Any mods that add dinosaur civilizations or magical fountains
If you want a different New World Experience then Third Odyssey is a great mod assuming you dont already know about it. If not you (as the Byzantines) decides that Europe is a lost cause and fuck off to the New World in 1444. There you go through rebuilding your stregnth, subduing the various native (and not) nations of the New World and prepare for one of two paths, a restoration of the Empire or a consolidation of the Western Hemisphere under your rule. There are lots of ways to set up your colonies and stuff with you either staying Christian or going back to Hellenic among others.

For a less fantasy experience I dont really know of many except for New World Colony Names which gives many other cultures dynamic names for colonial nations in the various Colonial Regions stretching from Roman to Russian and everything in between.

That sounds like a dope mod but I would hope you can duel Barbary corsairs and Templar privateers in the New Aegean or the Romanoi Sea or whatever the Caribbean is called.

I had a fun Breton Colonial Kingdom run, and now in 1820 I am at a loss for how to continue this story. Should I convert it to Victoria 2, a game that I've never played and have heard is unfinished? Are there any timeline extension mods worth a damn? What do people when they finish their campaigns?

That sounds like a dope mod but I would hope you can duel Barbary corsairs and Templar privateers in the New Aegean or the Romanoi Sea or whatever the Caribbean is called.
I wont outwardly spoil the nations that can form in the Caribbean, but I will give hints, Shqipëri and Leonidas

If you want a different New World Experience then Third Odyssey is a great mod assuming you dont already know about it. If not you (as the Byzantines) decides that Europe is a lost cause and fuck off to the New World in 1444. There you go through rebuilding your stregnth, subduing the various native (and not) nations of the New World and prepare for one of two paths, a restoration of the Empire or a consolidation of the Western Hemisphere under your rule. There are lots of ways to set up your colonies and stuff with you either staying Christian or going back to Hellenic among others.

For a less fantasy experience I dont really know of many except for New World Colony Names which gives many other cultures dynamic names for colonial nations in the various Colonial Regions stretching from Roman to Russian and everything in between.

Love this mod. I gave them them tips for stuff in Canada and they used some of the art I made for my Vinland timeline.

I watched a video about strongest OPMs and decided to try Tenate. I usually go for Ottomans or a strong empire from the start. Last year i played England/GB up until the end date and that was easier than expected. Defeated the rest of the British isles and after that it was pretty peacefull colonization for a 100 years. Ended up with most of the colonies.

Anyway, back to why i write. I decided to try Tenate. I took out the other OPM on the same island. Then i made a mistake and made two alliances just to get award in the mission. One of them draged me into a war while i was doing my first colony. I was pretty anoyed and lost half my fleet. I cut my losses and peaced out with cash and 10 years of war repayment. My OPM ally was defeated. After that i have done no war and avoid colonization near any other nation becauce i have embraced reinissanse and colonization, but i have also slipped behind in dipl and mil tech but is 2-3 tech ahead in admin. Brunei has taken the whole island it started on, and the Phillipini nations have not moved. I have colonized Palau and will go for Formossa and see if i can be a Chinese tribute. Both exploration techs taken so i am also thinking of colonizing Australia

If anyone is still missing EU4 and/or any of its DLC, now you can get the whole game for no more than 17 dollars. Excluded are the cosmetic and music packs and Golden century. But you can get those for half their price on Paradox store right now.
Humble Bundle

I haven't played EU4 in almost 3 years (Steam said so!) because I really dislike the direction it's taken, but $17 for nearly all the DLC is too good to pass up.