Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Bytewave, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Md139115 Bring back the Inquisition!

Secret Catholic World Domination Conference
    White peaces don’t mean much if you’re bled white. And I could not expand any further since I now had truces with all the powers.

Losing men and money without gaining territory is a loss in my book.

2. The 48th Ronin EISAI HARAMASUKOI

Do you have the Res Publica DLC? It gives Netherlands an event that switch their government to a special one.

3. Md139115 Bring back the Inquisition!

Today, we begin Part 2 of discussing how to survive four coalition wars in 50 years. Here's the details:

So I finally white-peace after a violent war, but there's a problem, Europe still really hates me. So guess what happens just eight years later?

This scorecard tells you pretty much everything you need to know (except that my debt was 7000+ at war's end and I was running a 100 deficit). I was actually tempted to keep it going just to win the "Have 1M dead on each side of a war" achievement.

20180807145936_1.jpg
    Now here was the issue, as can be seen in the next picture, they had shifted their attention to France, which was bad because they were only in the war as an interested Great Power and could make peace anytime, at which point, I would be well and truly up ****'s creek. So I peaced out, having Tuscany give up Novara and Venice proper, Wallachia gave it's Transylvanian foothold, and I gave Tunis access to the sea again (this latter one worked out wonderfully as Orthodox rebels promptly took over and converted that country).

20180807145957_1.jpg

With a peace with the coalition, I turned my attention to slapping those Commonwealth vultures upside the head. With them promising me war reparations, I finally went to work rebuilding my shattered economy by declaring bankruptcy. I thought this wasn't a big deal because I was in a regency at the time, and when my Basileus came to the throne a year later, my legitimacy went back to 100, but guess what happened? Go on, guess...

20180807154145_1.jpg

4. justinNL The weird one

Yes, it seems to have a MTTH of 200. I used the console to fire it. I really needed 33% naval frocelimit increase!

5. Md139115 Bring back the Inquisition!

The Game is finally over, but there are a backlog of pictures to get through, so here we continue for a few days yet.

We begin with the aftermath of part 2 of our surviving four coalition wars in 50 years. I went into bankruptcy, and it started a major revolution! Now, my Basileus at the time was awful, so I would have let them win, except I would have lost my personal union with Tuscany. I barely survived it, but forgot to take a picture.

Then comes Part 3 of surviving four coalition wars.

The third war was a minor affair with the Bohemians and other minor HRE states again. It was bloody, but not desperate. I probably could have fought to a victory, but I decided to white peace to avoid going into debt again. I didn't bother taking a picture of it. Then I fought a brief war in defense of my Tlemcen ally that saw me gain the remainder of Sicily.

Then came the fourth coalition war...

20180809185147_1.jpg

I don't understand why I didn't get the achievement. It may be that I white-peaced France early, and Russia white-peaced a bit later (to my extreme frustration as the balance was finally going my way), but the bloodbath finally continued until I had spent everything in one last almighty push that brought me back to neutral.

One casualty of the war though was my dynasty, as my heir died in battle and my Basileus followed him soon after. The Padiologos Family had accomplished the impossible and brought back the empire to glory, but now the torch had to be picked up by the Russians.

20180809211607_1.jpg
    Finally, the day of glory came. I annexed Tuscany, and got Rome, bringing the whole Pentarchy back together!

20180810000017_1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. Thoresby Well-Known Member

I do love a restore Byzantium game.

7. Md139115 Bring back the Inquisition!

I have one more day’s worth of pictures...

8. Md139115 Bring back the Inquisition!

Now, in the course of my game, I had undone much of centuries worth of humiliation to the Byzantines. The ruptures of earthquake at Gallipoli that enabled the Ottomans to enter Europe I healed. The stain of Manzikert I purged when I conquered the Turks. The loss of Syria and Jerusalem to the Arabs I undone. The wickedness of the Normans was crushed in my reconquest of Naples. And the Great Schism ended with the Metropolitan of Rome being finally restored. But there was one more humiliation, one greater than all the others, that needed avenging, and after a brutal war with the Austrians and Bohemians and British, I finally got it.

It was the 27th of December, 1794. 590 years, 7 months, and 19 days since Constantinople fell to the Fourth Crusade.

I like to think that not only were the horses and columns returned to Constantinople, but some commander had the kindness to send St. Mark home to Alexandria, this time not packed in pork.

20180810001027_1.jpg

Now, with that done, it was time to look to the future, I had enough saved up, and the game was almost over, so I decided to start the Suez Canal.

From my playing of Victoria II, I thought this would be an instant thing. It's not.

This is my proof that I did begin it, though I wouldn't see it completed. :'(

20180810174734_1.jpg

Well, perhaps a bit of sadness is the best way to end this saga, it is Greek after all. But this does not detract from what I did. Byzantium, when I began, was just nine years from its OTL date of expiration, a ramshackle city of about 25 development and some tiny provinces in Peloponesus. And now, on the first of January 1821, 12 years before the Greeks of OTL tasted freedom once more, we end with Byzantium being more than just Byzantium. We end with it being what it always was, and what it always will be in the hearts of some.

Behold, the Eastern Roman Empire!

20180810175457_1.jpg

And just for comparison, the Empire on the death of Justinian in 555. A bit more time, and I would have gone into Spain.

[​IMG]

Thank you all for watching!:happyblush