Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

Just an update on my Kazan to GH campaign.

I got to steal key provinces from Nogay and Great Horde. Crimea got dragged in the war, but they're too far from me to get some from them. Good thing they didn't ally with Kebab, so there's a chance for another war but I need to finish Great Horde first.

Right now Ryazan is my vassal and barely managed to secure an alliance with Poland-Lithuania. I'm torn between two choices: prepare for a war with Muscovy or vassalize Odoyev (allied with Tver).

First game as the Ottomans. Kept it easy by not taking sh*tloads of land in the beginning. By 1490 I had an empire from Baghdad to Bosnia and Tripoli (without Egypt) to Armenia.

Torn apart Hungary for Croatia and freeing Nitra as well as Transylvania. The best I enjoyed was saving Granada from Castille... but they turned Catholic... (little advice, do not give them enough Catholic provinces to make sunni a minority...). Another nice achievements were wreckin PLC and beating down an Italian-Hungarian-Wallachian coalition.

All well until I got bored by 1713 or so.

Another one was as Castille. Not so lucky then because immediate war with Aragon, England, Portugal, France after war with Granada started. They had Morocco and Zayyanids. Not so lucky...

And ofcourse forming Iran as the Qara Qoyunlu. So... frckn... nice...

Guys, I need an advice on my Kazan campaign.

I managed to get 10 favors from Poland to take on Muscovy as I planned, but she refuses to join because she has a lot of debt. And I dont think a gift of money from me would help.

I managed to get 10 favors from Poland to take on Muscovy as I planned, but she refuses to join because she has a lot of debt. And I dont think a gift of money from me would help.

Wait for Muscovy to attack Novgorod (assuming they haven't gotten ganked yet) or until you can bribe Poland into the war. In the meantime eat more of the steppe.

Don’t worry that much, Polad will have the money sooner than you think: they control the centres of trade of Krakow and Kiev and after the Teutonic Knights are beaten, which tends to happen pretty soon, they have a solid foothold in the Baltic.

Don’t worry that much, Polad will have the money sooner than you think: they control the centres of trade of Krakow and Kiev and after the Teutonic Knights are beaten, which tends to happen pretty soon, they have a solid foothold in the Baltic.

How long would that be? I'm on Mil Tech 5 and Muscovy's at 4. And there's a big chance she ally with Denmark (already conquered Livonia).

How long would that be? I'm on Mil Tech 5 and Muscovy's at 4. And there's a big chance she ally with Denmark (already conquered Livonia).

You could just merc up and go after Muscovy by yourself. As long as you can pick the battle to your favor, it is winnable, especially with a mil tech advantage. Just remember to keep any large fights to where you have bonuses. And taking a few loans is well worth breaking Muscovy. Poland might even attack if they have a CB and they look weak. Or they might become available to be called in part way through the war.

Well, talk about luck.

Muscovy attacked Poland and I was dragged in. I merc'd up, raise host, and raped the debase/loan button. I barely held on, but I managed to reach at least 50 WS and got some land for my vassal. I peace out first (yeah, I'm a very reliable ally :p), and Poland lost a province to Muscovy.

After some more horde wars, I finally reached Adm Tech 5, and I don't know which one to pick. Any advice?

Oh, and when should I reform? I don't think I can survive a third war with Muscovy since she's already that big, and Novgorod is dead. I'm just hoping she turn on Denmark.

Well my BBB run has been ruined by chance. I put a whole lot of effort as France into becoming the Emperor to get the double inheritance of Burgundy ... but Castile got it. And I think who gets it is decided before clicking on the event, as force quitting Eu4 with task manager and reopening the save a dozen time still has Castile get it every time. At this point I can't get enough provinces cored before 1500, let alone do so without fighting half of Europe. Most of which were already at 100 relations, + Great Power Influence. Largely because I thought I should rein in Italy while I was at it, which is a ton of AE. Especially for Rome, even thought I gave it back right away.

Okay second Big Blue Blob try. I tried becoming the Emperor again. I even thought I got super lucky, because I got the Papal controller very soon and Austria was rivals with the Pope for some reason. But Austria refused to die, and despite the excommunication was able to regain two electors to my two. Which means they as the Emperor win. I would have had three, but Bohemia narrowly went for another state. And I was already maxed out at 200 relations, 100 prestige, a diplo rep advisor, etc.

However the rest of the game went much better.

In my intial war with England, I had moved my navy around from to the port north of England's South France possessions. Then I got super lucky when they sent their transports alone down to their, while all the heavies blockaded the north. I not giving a shit if my navy got wrecked in exchange for hampering the English landing troops then attacked. But the AI kept it heavies blockading while I bashed up their transports. But being England they only two transports despite being a stack of transports with no leader, against a larger fleet with heavies and a admiral. They landed in the port after their defeat, when Portugal arrived which got my Southern besieging force narrowly defeated. But since I was trapping all of England's transports, I was free to put the minimum on their northern fort, while I put another seige stack on Calais and sent the rest to unite with my beaten Sourthern forces to beat up England's sole Stack in France and Portugal. Then it was simply a matter of seiging down the forts and then seiging Portugal. The Transport fleet returned to England after I took the fort, with another two ships lost, allowing England to send stacks again and take the northern fort. However I was just peacing out Portugal by that point, so I was able to return and retake the northern fort.

However there was a complication. Scotland had declared it owns war. Which was fine. Except that they had seiged the Pale, preventing me from taking it in the peace deal. Annoyed at not being able to get a Irish foothold, I instead took Man as well as all of England's mainland territory.

However Scotland's war proved a blessing for my English conquest. They got soundly beaten. England taking a bunch of provinces, forcing them to set free their vassal the Isles (which revokes their cores on them) and revoking their core on Man. No idea why they did the last thing. But it allowed me to diplo vassal Scotland, after I attacked the Isles their former vassal and annexed them. Which meant no distance penalty. Hire a diplo rep advisor (+3 to acceptance), Great Power Influence (+ Trust, which gives some acceptance) and a Royal marriage (+10) they were ready to be my subject. Then after my truce, I attacked England with my armies in Scotland, taking back their cores, their intial mission claims on the two bordering provinces and took their Irish provinces for myself. During the truce they had annexed a few of the Irish. I then finished the job with the rest of the Irish and diplo annexed Scotland. Scotland also got a event to get two of Norways North Sea islands.

The British Isles weren't my only route of expansion. I allied Castile and rivalled Aragon. My plan was in the intial war to take a province war to release Catalonia, give Castille Aragon's mountain fort to make a future war easier and take Aviagon from their ally, the Pope. Then in a second war I used the age ability to transfer Naples to be my vassal, and with the remainder of the war score fed Catalonia. I also had to give Castile another province because I accidentally called them in with a land promise. My future plan is to annex Aragon's Iberian provinces personally (Since I diplo annexed Catalonia while I was doing it with Scotland), while I fed Naples it's cores on Sicily and Malta while I annex them.

The last expansion was in France. Provence and Brittany I went to war with immediately after England. This was due to Provence, getting attacked by Burgundy, Brittany and the Pope. As the papal controller I then excommunicated them and attacked as well. Then I attacked Brittany who had seiged the province next to them, and the ones by the coast, taking those. Burgundy and then the Pope meanwhile seiged their Bar and Lorriane PU. For some reason Burgundy didn't take anything from them. The Pope meanwhile couldn't take anything because no border. So I annexed Brittany, and after those were cored, Provences non HRE provinces. I didn't take Bar or Lorriane because of AE, but I did force Provence to release Bar. Which replaced a angry Provence with a lot of AE against me, with a Bar with no AE.

Burgundy I had been leaving to try to become Emperor. But failing that, I just went after them normally. I won the war. The problem however was the event not firing. I did a third war against England while I was waiting, annexing Wales and Cornwall, since they are low dev provinces. I took a loan to get the Defender of the Faith (Ticking minus war score) to counter the growing call for peace and wasted a bunch of diplo points reducing war exhaustion. I still ended up getting 14/20 war exhaustion before the event finally fired. The excommunicated Austria got the rest.

So my plan for the last decade and a bit is to wait for my war exhaustion to tick down, while I diplo annex Naples. During that time I will kill Aragon. Then I will attack Austria. Even without Naples, that nets me enough provinces to get BBB. Without any coalitions, or expansion into the Balkans or Norway.

Anyway. Pro tip for any Catholics who have a Cardinal at the start. Use the estate interaction that immediately gives you 10 papal influence. The pope is fairly old, so you have a good chance of getting the papal controller very soon. Which is very powerful. Cheaper and more advisors, less AE, a extra diplomat which is great for getting everybody to like you more then they fear your AE, etc,

Last edited:
My France game update. Castile I forced into a PU and as part of the war, I also seperate peaced Portugal into a vassal. Portugal had got most of their land eaten by Morocco, making them small enough to do so. Tlemcem had taken Granada and for some reason Castile had never attacked them. They jumped in, but I forced Castile into a PU that dragged me in. End result is Iberia is entirely mine. Either directly owned by me, my vassal Portugal or my PU Castile. Of which both of them are colonising for me. Good, since I didn't take exploration ideas yet.

The British Isles are fairly good. All of Ireland and Scotland are mine, and I'm slowly eating me way into the rest of England.

Italy I have all of Naples, and have completed the French missions to take Savoy and Liguria. I also diplo vassaled a one province Florence and fed them back their cores, to annex them. Which means that I own every trade power province and the majority of provinces in Genoa. Which means massive cash.

I'm also angling for a potenial Denmark PU. They have a old King, and so I tossed them a royal marriage. Which should get a Valois on the throne hopefully. The only issue is that I will have to feed them back their cores as Pomenria and Sweden both took a ton of land off them. But not enough to diplo vassal.

The only kink in my game is the HRE. Austria expanded it into all the provinces they own making any expansion into them, insane AE. On top of the ton I already have. I need to occupy seven electors and the Emperor to dismantle it. I'm allied to two electors, but the way the alliances connected, I can't pull them all in. Or even declare on a number of them, with no CBs. Which leaves just taking the AE. The HRE is a pain in the ass.

But overall the game, aside from missing the Double Inheritance has been great. I think I can easily turn this into a World Conquest.

Just started a new game as Sweden. First time playing with Third Rome, Cradle or Rule.

I broke free right off the bat but struggling to win a war with Novgrod.

I tried a non ironman game with Russia(with cheating) begining in 1740s to see how fast i could dismantle China. Now i had two wars with China and i still lack the energy to secure a warscore enough to allow Korea to become independent. And every nation i have released have somehow decided to ally themselves with China.

I also had a small war with France along with Spain and UK. Gave Normandy to England and a few areas to Newfoundland. But 13 colonies did not want anything. 20 years have passed and Frence loutsiana have now taken out most natives. It is hopeless.

I am allied with Preussia and they wanted help against The Netherlands. After the war that gave me nothing i am pretty much the biggest naval Power. I am like the modern USA. Russia have almost half of the total battleships in the World.

Yesterday i Went to steam to get Mandate of heaven to be able to arty barrage during sieges. Ended up with Stellaris and HOI in a bundle on sale and pretty much every DLC i did not have.

Hey guys, any advice on what should be my first idea as Ming? I'm playing semi-tall, only blobbing up to the Taklamakan area then getting tributaries as much as possible.
Colonialism would be a safe bet since you can get to the Spice Islands nice and early to control trade from there. I also find asministrativais always good for an early pick, it saves you lots of administration points down the line and for Ming you might as well get over the lack of crucial admin points early on when you are strong.

Does anybody Know how to Embrace the Renaissance? I've just got up to the start of it on my Denmark Game and I don't want to be left behind by the AI in Terms of Technology.

I also Downloaded something Called the "Extended Timeline" Mod and it looks pretty Exciting for me as a History Nerd; anybody have any Strategy Suggestions for Danish Expansionism? [in my Game so far nobody has Discovered America, so far as I am Aware.]

Does anybody Know how to Embrace the Renaissance? I've just got up to the start of it on my Denmark Game and I don't want to be left behind by the AI in Terms of Technology.

I also Downloaded something Called the "Extended Timeline" Mod and it looks pretty Exciting for me as a History Nerd; anybody have any Strategy Suggestions for Danish Expansionism? [in my Game so far nobody has Discovered America, so far as I am Aware.]
In the technology screen, there is a button in the menu which will allow you to look at the institutions. Within that, it will allow you to embrace an institution which you have not yet embraced as a country.

In order to embrace an institution - like the Renaissance - 10% of your nation’s development must be in provinces which have themselves adopted the Renaissance. The Renaissance, and any other institution, will spread slowly from whichever province it spawned in - in this case, the Renaissance must spawn in Italy - out into neighboring provinces, provinces with trade connections to that province, high development provinces and provinces with certain buildings, and by other factors, and spread outward over time.

As I said, you can only embrace the Renaissance after it has already spread into your territory, which might be a little while as Denmark, given that it has to traverse all of Germany and perhaps a significant part of Italy before it comes, and you’re not likely to have significant trade connections with Italy.

Once you have 10% development under the Renaissance, you must pay an amount of money dependant on the amount of development you have in provinces that still have not adopted the Renaissance in order to embrace the Renaissance, which will immediately remove the technology penalty, and will speed up the adoption of the Renaissance in all your remaining provinces dramatically. The more of your development which has already adopted the Renaissance, the less expensive embracing the Renaissance will be. You can also choose not to spend money to embrace the Renaissance, in which case you won’t embrace it until all of your provinces have adopted the Renaissance, which may take quite a long time, particularly if you are a colonial power. You can also just wait until a larger part of your development - say half - has adopted the Renaissance, for a steep discount.

In the technology screen, there is a button in the menu which will allow you to look at the institutions. Within that, it will allow you to embrace an institution which you have not yet embraced as a country.

In order to embrace an institution - like the Renaissance - 10% of your nation’s development must be in provinces which have themselves adopted the Renaissance. The Renaissance, and any other institution, will spread slowly from whichever province it spawned in - in this case, the Renaissance must spawn in Italy - out into neighboring provinces, provinces with trade connections to that province, high development provinces and provinces with certain buildings, and by other factors, and spread outward over time.

As I said, you can only embrace the Renaissance after it has already spread into your territory, which might be a little while as Denmark, given that it has to traverse all of Germany and perhaps a significant part of Italy before it comes, and you’re not likely to have significant trade connections with Italy.

Once you have 10% development under the Renaissance, you must pay an amount of money dependant on the amount of development you have in provinces that still have not adopted the Renaissance in order to embrace the Renaissance, which will immediately remove the technology penalty, and will speed up the adoption of the Renaissance in all your remaining provinces dramatically. The more of your development which has already adopted the Renaissance, the less expensive embracing the Renaissance will be. You can also choose not to spend money to embrace the Renaissance, in which case you won’t embrace it until all of your provinces have adopted the Renaissance, which may take quite a long time, particularly if you are a colonial power. You can also just wait until a larger part of your development - say half - has adopted the Renaissance, for a steep discount.

The only thing I have to add tot his excellent answer is that there is also an 'Institutions' mapmode that can show the spread of them, both in your nation and outside of it.

Fun fact that i did not realize until it was over. I played as Great Britain after a English opening and started a war against a Andean nation and took Bogota yesterday. I did not Think of it until i turned off to Watch the penalties that i actually faced Colombia as England on the same day as the QF. Strange how a country -3 Tech aginst me can defeat an 20k army with 14 inf, 2 cav and 4 guns with 15 k that was infantry and cav only.

Md139115

Banned
I suppose I ought to start posting screenshots of my ongoing Byzantine game, just because it's turning into one of those epic affairs that has to be seen to be believed.

I am going to stress right now that this is the BASE game, with only the Rights of Man, Art of War, and Common Sense DLCs. NO MODS

My start, just to prove this is completely normal.

20180720221455_1.jpg

My first war with the Ottomans was a major success with the help of the Mameluks, who were at war with them at the same time.

20180721140313_1.jpg

My second war was when things started to get really fun. First, I conquered Candar, then, as I was finishing up, the Mameluks declared war on the Ottomans again. I declared my own war on them, and that set off a whole chain reaction of people declaring war on them just to get their slice of the pie. At one point, the Ottomans were in four separate wars and had to declare bankruptcy twice. This is the aftermath of the Mamaluks and my war with the Ottomans, but prior to Wallachia and Serbia making peace (they would divide Bulgaria up between them). Eagle-eyed viewers will note a rebel army in Corfu. They were Byzantine nationalists, they were successful, and by complete accident I had one of the nastiest of the Venetian client states drop right into my lap! :extremelyhappy:
20180721201719_1.jpg

More pictures coming tomorrow so as to not disturb the "three-pictures a day" rule.