Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

Maybe we misunderstood each other, basically what I was saying is that the AI will act as it would make sense in history, thus being more aggressive depending on where and who they are, the limitations they have are purely geographical and political(instead of being arbitrary) and are well thought out, so unlike Vanilla you have actual limitations to blobbing. So that´s why I think the game is increasingly able to show what´s possible historically and what´s not.
Seems like it. I do agree it is more able to show what is possible, it is just my view is that it started from zero, or so close to it as to make no difference, so ultimately I don't feel it is useful in considering alternate timelines and their plausibility.

B-29_Bomber

Banned
Seems like it. I do agree it is more able to show what is possible, it is just my view is that it started from zero, or so close to it as to make no difference, so ultimately I don't feel it is useful in considering alternate timelines and their plausibility.

Ultimately whether or not M&T 2.0 creates a plausible ALT is neither here nor there.

It's all about how fun it is and in that it will deliver in spades because 1.27 was fun as hell and it'd take a serious pants-on-head moment for them to fuck that up.

Well, I like early modern history in general, so that covers much of EUIV, Victoria, and HoI. EUIV draws me because of its research, trade, and colonization features - the idea of building an empire through commerce and colonialism rather than conquest appeals to me greatly, not to mention the opportunity for alternate timelines.
I'll check out Victoria and HoI, though, see if there are demos on Steam.
If you want to play a game focused on commerce and colonialism, go for Victoria II, as it models those two far better than EUIV, which is far more heavily focused on conquest (more so, I'd argue, than Crusader Kings II). If you like micromanaging your nation's economy, Victoria II is the superior game- it's possible to play an entire campaign without fighting a single war (which is fine, because warfare sucks in Victoria II).

If you want to play a game focused on commerce and colonialism, go for Victoria II, as it models those two far better than EUIV, which is far more heavily focused on conquest (more so, I'd argue, than Crusader Kings II). If you like micromanaging your nation's economy, Victoria II is the superior game- it's possible to play an entire campaign without fighting a single war (which is fine, because warfare sucks in Victoria II).

I see. That's definitely worth considering.
And I do like the Victorian era as a historical period.

I just had the best start in ANY game of EUIV of my entire 2.000+ hours of gameplay. Indeed, maybe one of the best I even heard of:

I was playing with one of my all-time favourites: England. Everything was normal, I managed to ally Castille and Austria (Savoy and Britanny too, Portugal starts as my ally) to crush France. While I was preparing, Burgundy attacked the BBB; I let they tire out each other and then invaded France. They were crushed, France lost half of its provinces to either conquest and annexation, liberation of vassals and revolts. Meanwhile Burgundy grew into a monster by eating smaller HRE nations and I gained a PU over Austria out of the blue and then when I looked in detail I saw that the Lancaster dynasty had expanded the Castille and Aragón (in PU). My War of the Roses had lasted less than six months with a glorious Lancaster King that was something like 5/6/2. That happened while I was fighting the French and my terrible heir was replaced by an even better king by the event of the Tudors. We attacked Burgundy, as it had one minor too many by declaring war on Aachen which the HRE Bohemia answered at last. Both wars at the same time destroyed Burgundy, leaving it split into four parts and losing their overlordship over Holland and Flanders.

Then, with the help of Austria I forced a PU over Castille (and Aragón as a consequence) and when the war was over I proclaimed Great Britain (I have been slowly absorbing Scotland in the interludes between my wars). As the war ended I picked up a mission... Force a PU over France while Portugal has a weak heir with a weak claim to the throne... A Lancaster throne.

Also I have 6 provinces between colonies and full-fledged pronvinces in North America and 4 in the Caribbean and I'm allied to the HRE Bohemia. Welcome to the year 1530.

B-29_Bomber

Banned
I haven't played EUIII, so I'm not quite up on that.
What function do Colonial Nations serve?

In EUIII you send a colonist to an uncolonized province then the province fills with settlers (you don't have to keep the colonist on said province, but it gives you a percent chance at getting an increase in settlers). Once said province increases to 1000 it becomes a regular province, which should core rather quickly. After you get 5 cored provinces a colonial nation is formed. Important: Before you can send a colonist you need to set your colonial policy, which you can do on the stability tab.

As for Colonial Nations, they're a specific type of subject that can only be formed in colonial regions and I believe can wage colonial wars without dragging in the Overlord. Also if a colonial nation has gold provinces they can send you lump sum ducats in treasure fleets.

If you want more information check out the EUIV wiki.

In EUIII you send a colonist to an uncolonized province then the province fills with settlers (you don't have to keep the colonist on said province, but it gives you a percent chance at getting an increase in settlers). Once said province increases to 1000 it becomes a regular province, which should core rather quickly. After you get 5 cored provinces a colonial nation is formed. Important: Before you can send a colonist you need to set your colonial policy, which you can do on the stability tab.

As for Colonial Nations, they're a specific type of subject that can only be formed in colonial regions and I believe can wage colonial wars without dragging in the Overlord. Also if a colonial nation has gold provinces they can send you lump sum ducats in treasure fleets.

If you want more information check out the EUIV wiki.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I was thinking, how many of you would be interested in an EUIV game played by me with you acting as advisors and determining together the future of our country?

I was thinking, how many of you would be interested in an EUIV game played by me with you acting as advisors and determining together the future of our country?

Like the interactives they host on the Pdox forums? Pretty neat actually.

Now if only more people would be interested enough to participate...

In any case, what are your opinions all on Mandate of Heaven? The HRE-lite mechanic for the Mandate might just make me play Ming for the first time come the Summer Sale or so. :p

Like the interactives they host on the Pdox forums? Pretty neat actually.

Now if only more people would be interested enough to participate...

In any case, what are your opinions all on Mandate of Heaven? The HRE-lite mechanic for the Mandate might just make me play Ming for the first time come the Summer Sale or so. :p

We don't need that many people for it to work.
Actually, maybe if we did some of it in SW and had a couple polls at the beginning, it'd be get more attention...

Well, I think that if we had a nucleus of a few committed players it would eventually drag some new people in, regardless of their previous knowledge of the game. We could even play it without involving the gameplay mechanics, just as a election game or something so that would expand greatly our player base.

So, which country would the best suited for this idea?