Europa Universalis IV - 13 August 2013

Bumping this thread, as there are less than three weeks to go, and a few days ago it was on pre-release sale at the two big download distributors so I grabbed it.

Has anyone been watching quill18's Let's Play videos? A lot of it is basically EU3 after Divine Wind, but there are quite a few changes that I think get some decent examination. Specifically the new diplomacy, economy and idea things; we still have colonization to see in some detail, and he just unlocked a bunch of exploration ideas.

I don't know whether to pre-order the Digital Extreme version or the normal version. Would I get the Byzantine and Hundred Years War extra if the Digital Extreme version is pre-ordered?

I don't know whether to pre-order the Digital Extreme version or the normal version. Would I get the Byzantine and Hundred Years War extra if the Digital Extreme version is pre-ordered?

Yes.

It's on sale on Gamersgate right now.

Yes.

It's on sale on Gamersgate right now.

Might get that then, since I get the events regarding the Islamic powers as well. :)

My first game will probably be as England or Brandenburg. England to rule the waves and Brandenburg so I can form Germany and steamroll everything.

Its been one hell of a beta. Not done yet obviously, and given the digital distro, there's an extra week of changes we can squeeze in before the gold master.

But seriously, its been a patch every weekday, with changelogs that I have to scroll to see even on my vertical monitor. Paradox essentially uses their betas to balance their games in addition to bug fixes, so the game I'm playing now is vastly different from the one when I made the thread :D

While its still possible to create vast empires, the consequences for rapid military expansion are certainly more substantial than they used to be. As it really should be. Divine Wind veterans will recognize alot of things, of course, but everyone will have to adjust their playstyle a bit.

Asami

Banned
Its been one hell of a beta. Not done yet obviously, and given the digital distro, there's an extra week of changes we can squeeze in before the gold master.

But seriously, its been a patch every weekday, with changelogs that I have to scroll to see even on my vertical monitor. Paradox essentially uses their betas to balance their games in addition to bug fixes, so the game I'm playing now is vastly different from the one when I made the thread :D

While its still possible to create vast empires, the consequences for rapid military expansion are certainly more substantial than they used to be. As it really should be. Divine Wind veterans will recognize alot of things, of course, but everyone will have to adjust their playstyle a bit.

You lucky SOB with the beta.

You lucky SOB with the beta.

It's not quite about luck. I get in the vast majority of betas I want to be in - and some of the alphas.

It's about writing what you know they want to read. I call it strategic padding :D Its essentially the same skillset you use when you write a CV for a job.

Of course, its immensely helpful if you do this on a regular basis, and thus have a long list of games you've already beta tested... AND if you actually report bugs and participate on the beta boards of the games you're testing. Prior and successful participation in a beta of the same corp is a guaranteed invite. I get into 'friends and family' of all Blizzard and Bethesda projects; I'm not on the alpha list at Paradox yet, only the beta list, but I'm fairly sure after this project I'll be.

Do you think its worth getting Digital Extreme edition of EU4 or should I stick to normal preorder edition

For 5 bucks difference, I think its worth it. Not a huge fan of Day-1 DLC, but Paradox does provide value and I like to encourage small businesses.

Of course, if you're not ever planning on playing as Muslims/BYZ/USA, the value of the Extreme edition is more limited, so I guess it depends on your preferences. Personally, Im a Byzzie, and I like the nw Byzantium stuff the EE offers... and I play muslim countries now and then too, so no brainer.

USA content is just too late in the timeframe to interest me, though.

Asami

Banned
It's not quite about luck. I get in the vast majority of betas I want to be in - and some of the alphas.

It's about writing what you know they want to read. I call it strategic padding :D Its essentially the same skillset you use when you write a CV for a job.

Of course, its immensely helpful if you do this on a regular basis, and thus have a long list of games you've already beta tested... AND if you actually report bugs and participate on the beta boards of the games you're testing. Prior and successful participation in a beta of the same corp is a guaranteed invite. I get into 'friends and family' of all Blizzard and Bethesda projects; I'm not on the alpha list at Paradox yet, only the beta list, but I'm fairly sure after this project I'll be.

I loathe you for that. :D

*is craving a demo right now*

I wonder how colonization is.

I am willing to answer some specific questions within reason, and reserve the right to decline to answer if doing so was a major NDA breach. We're pretty close to release, though, and some minor info that mostly builds on already public material doesn't seem problematic to me.

But as for the general outline; Now that it takes Idea groups to get any colonists at all, and that colonists are agents with travel time that cant be spammed as easily, it takes longer to colonize the whole barren world, though it can still absolutely happen (as it should).

Colonization of the Americas is quite historical for the Iberians, though the French and English often swap their historical colonial regions. A determined player with a strong economic base in Europe who picks QftNW can still dominate the colonial game if they focus on it, but its a bit harder now that 'incite natives' is gone (as seen in the espionage DD). As it used to be, the player who micros his colonization by defending colonies against natives with units will do better. Also, natives have a bit more staying power with the Idea-requirement on the CB to wipe them out easily; this makes it harder to game the system by annexing natives for colonies as a pure land power.

The AI's colonial game in the Indian ocean and the far-east is somewhat lack-luster still and a point we're trying to improve still. The AI could be a bit more aggressive going there, but its not game-breaking; they do it, just not quickly enough.

All in all, I'd say its incrementally better than it used to be, yields more historicalish looking end game maps, and that some fine tuning in Asia will improve it further.

Last edited:
I saw that Portugal 1508 video of quill's where they had so many colonies in Brazil they ended up taking out like 12 loans every month, and collapsed a few months later.

I saw that Portugal 1508 video of quill's where they had so many colonies in Brazil they ended up taking out like 12 loans every month, and collapsed a few months later.

Havent seen it, but I assume he was playing Portugal? The AI shouldnt put itself in that position to my knowledge.

But yeah, a human can absolutely bankrupt themselves by starting small colonies and then, without completing them, moving their colonists to new locations, hoping to capitalize on growth factors.

That can be a way to go a bit faster if you're filthy rich, but it exposes you to great costs and higher chances of native attacks. Costs of active colonies and conversions are higher as you have less colonists and missionaries now.

Havent seen it, but I assume he was playing Portugal? The AI shouldnt put itself in that position to my knowledge.

But yeah, a human can absolutely bankrupt themselves by starting small colonies and then, without completing them, moving their colonists to new locations, hoping to capitalize on growth factors.

That can be a way to go a bit faster if you're filthy rich, but it exposes you to great costs and higher chances of native attacks. Costs of active colonies and conversions are higher as you have less colonists and missionaries now.

He was Portugal in the 1508 bookmark (War of the League of Cambrai?). Portugal started out with all those colonies. I don't even think he made it to 1509 without a massive fiscal crisis blowing up.

Dam it I promised I'd never preorder again but that bloody save game converter pushed me over the edge. Now I need to restore Rome in CKII, for an awesome save to convert.

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
I'm still determined not to preorder! I will not buy till Christmas... I will not buy it till Christmas...