Europa Universalis III

Releasable via loosing a war, or through vassal release? Because I've booted up every scenario, and there is no such option to release it through the second method. I thought the same thing until I realized it was Northumbria that I was thinking of.
Technically both, but vassal release does not give the nation provinces you yourself have a core on - and England and Great Britain, the only two nations who normally rule York, have a non-expiring core on the province.

EU3 is awesome, but wait for something over half a year and you'll have EU4. In the meantime, try Crusader Kings II.

Yes you'll want chronicles, it has all of the expansion packs and update patches. Believe me there's a world of difference even between DW 5.0 and 5.1

Howabout on normal difficulty then? I'm still new to this game afterall. :p

No, Easy or even Very Easy would be best for your first few times until you get the hang of the game. Also play through all the tutorial missions, and you might also want to watch some lets plays or read a few in-depth AARs. And the Wiki is your friend.

I'd also suggest playing a rather 'easy' country your first few times like one of the major (larger, western) European powers; France, England, Castile, Austria, Bohemia, or potentially a smaller western state like Portugal, Aragon, Naples, Savoy, Milan, Switzerland, Bavaria, Burgandy, Brandenburg, Denmark, Teutons, or one of the better-positioned eastern group nations; Ottomans, Hungary, or Poland.

Don't make the mistake I did and try to play the Hansa on Normal your first time 'round. :p

No, Easy or even Very Easy would be best for your first few times until you get the hang of the game. Also play through all the tutorial missions, and you might also want to watch some lets plays or read a few in-depth AARs. And the Wiki is your friend.

I'd also suggest playing a rather 'easy' country your first few times like one of the major (larger, western) European powers; France, England, Castile, Austria, Bohemia, or potentially a smaller western state like Portugal, Aragon, Naples, Savoy, Milan, Switzerland, Bavaria, Burgandy, Brandenburg, Denmark, Teutons, or one of the better-positioned eastern group nations; Ottomans, Hungary, or Poland.

Don't make the mistake I did and try to play the Hansa on Normal your first time 'round. :p

I dove right in with Lithuania on normal when I started, way way way back before Napoleon's Ambition came out. I don't see why anybody else can't do the same (go right in at normal). On the other hand, I read the manual...uh, a few times before actually playing (my computer broke before I could start playing, so there wasn't anything else I could do). Really, the best advice is to just play until it's not fun anymore, then start over again and use what you learned last time to do better. Start with one of the easy, powerful countries like England or Castille. Very Easy and Easy change some of the key rules from normal--in particular, I believe they drastically reduce or eliminate inflation--so I think that you're more likely to pick up bad habits if you start playing at that level that you'll have to unlearn later.

As Lithuania in Divine Wind, is the gameplay similar to that guide of Lithuania described on the wiki?

It looks like the Wiki's strategy page for Lithuania is only accurate up to IN 3.2, so I would say no, but I haven't personally played Lithuania. If it's anything like Brandenburg (e.g. starting as the minor player in a personal union), depending on the RNG your first 50-odd years or so could potentially be wasted as you wait for the unifying sovereign to kick the bucket (yes yes, you could start a war, but since the greater part of the a PU actually has diplomatic options in such a war you're always going to be looking at facing an alliance on your own).

I dove right in with Lithuania on normal when I started, way way way back before Napoleon's Ambition came out. I don't see why anybody else can't do the same (go right in at normal). On the other hand, I read the manual...uh, a few times before actually playing (my computer broke before I could start playing, so there wasn't anything else I could do). Really, the best advice is to just play until it's not fun anymore, then start over again and use what you learned last time to do better. Start with one of the easy, powerful countries like England or Castille. Very Easy and Easy change some of the key rules from normal--in particular, I believe they drastically reduce or eliminate inflation--so I think that you're more likely to pick up bad habits if you start playing at that level that you'll have to unlearn later.

To each their own. IMHO I find the game's economic engine pretty unbalanced/unfun at times, especially if you're playing anything other than the larger, Western, European nations. I'm hitting 30% inflation easily in most games on Normal just to keep pace with my neighbors, let alone 'win.'

There was also very limited European colonization of Africa and none in Asia or the Pacific.

I suppose what you describe could happen if there were a powerful enemy encroaching on their territory that were to draw their attention away from the Americas and focus it on mere survival. If the common foe also had no interest in the Americas, then contact may take place but not necessarily conquest, as you describe. Of course, I was that foe in that campaign, but in reality, perhaps the Ottomans could serve in that role. Alternately, a natural disaster which wrecks Europe might suffice, although engineering a realistic one which doesn't wreck everywhere else is nigh impossible.

This is related to the "holy grail" I sought when I first got into AH -- I wanted to write a story wherein Europe was devastated by a deadlier Black Death, sparing the Native American civs from wholesale conquest and leading to world dominated by Eastern and Middle Eastern civilizations. When I found I couldn't have a deadlier plague wreck Europe without wrecking the rest of the Old World, I looked for other ways to accomplish the same thing. My next plan was a meteor strike in Greenland during the time of the Black Death which temporarily disrupted the North Atlantic Current, creating a "Black Winter" that severely exacerbated the pandemic. This was admittedly far-fetched, so my next plan was a political one. By this point I was even more out of my league, but with help from Falastur (a member here), we worked out a way in which the death of the Pope and some cardinals due to the Plague could lead to a series of devastating "Papal Wars" across Europe. This in turn could leave the Christian powers more susceptible to invasion by the Ottomans, who could overrun Europe and make it a backwater of civilization. In all plans, the idea was to later expose the Native American civs to Old World diseases and technology via low-level contact with Arab merchants.

Unfortunately, the nuts and bolts of the final plan (i.e., historical European politics) were and are well beyond the scope of my knowledge. Coupled with the fact that I discovered several published AH works which had already dealt with the same subject (using handwavium :mad:), this resulted in my giving up the project. :(

I think there was a TL where some sort of deadly disease hit Mediterranean countries in the early 16th century. This didn't stop colonization and exploration but slowed it down significantly and colonies Spain had already established in America became basically independent. I can't remember its name though and it anyway died. It was very interesting as long as it lasted though.

Just got the demo, since it is easier to lose than to win, I want to drive a superpower into the ground in the most logical ways possible. Any ideas on how to destroy one of the most powerful nations by the end of the demo years?

Just got the demo, since it is easier to lose than to win, I want to drive a superpower into the ground in the most logical ways possible. Any ideas on how to destroy one of the most powerful nations by the end of the demo years?

Get infamy points. Once you get higher, people will just randomly declare war on you.

On another note, has anyone ever had the Ryukyu nation owning parts of Bengal in 1430's?
I thought it was quite random :p

Hey, so I finally bought EU III and I'm loving it.

Currently on my 2 nation and I'm a bit stuck.

I'm France, I have control over most of OTL France, Vassalised much of northern Italy, the Rhineland states, Moldova and Smolensk :p I've crushed Burgundy and Aragon is much smaller than OTL

The only real nation I can't seem to hurt is England. Although I threw them out of Calais and Aquitaine, they managed to annex Brittany.
I have tried to get Brittany from them, I manage to capture the provinces and some other continental ones they have. However, my navy is small and much weaker (even though I have the same tech :confused:)

Therefore they manage to blockade all my ports, capture the Islands I have and completely f**k over any of my smaller allies with coasts that my armies can't get to.

So eventually I have to either go for a white peace or concede defeat :mad:

How do I break England's naval power ???? so that they can't strike without a fight?

Also anyone know some good French colony names?

Hey, so I finally bought EU III and I'm loving it.

Currently on my 2 nation and I'm a bit stuck.

I'm France, I have control over most of OTL France, Vassalised much of northern Italy, the Rhineland states, Moldova and Smolensk :p I've crushed Burgundy and Aragon is much smaller than OTL

The only real nation I can't seem to hurt is England. Although I threw them out of Calais and Aquitaine, they managed to annex Brittany.
I have tried to get Brittany from them, I manage to capture the provinces and some other continental ones they have. However, my navy is small and much weaker (even though I have the same tech :confused:)

Therefore they manage to blockade all my ports, capture the Islands I have and completely f**k over any of my smaller allies with coasts that my armies can't get to.

So eventually I have to either go for a white peace or concede defeat :mad:

How do I break England's naval power ???? so that they can't strike without a fight?

Also anyone know some good French colony names?

If in doubt, sit on their provinces until their war exhaustion reaches maximum. Income is proportional to revolt risk and if their people get pissed off they cease being able to afford fancy stuff like navies and armies.