Europa Universalis III

There's a country named York, yes. IIRC it's releasable from the start; it has a core on Yorkshire.

Releasable via loosing a war, or through vassal release? Because I've booted up every scenario, and there is no such option to release it through the second method. I thought the same thing until I realized it was Northumbria that I was thinking of.

Releasable via loosing a war, or through vassal release? Because I've booted up every scenario, and there is no such option to release it through the second method. I thought the same thing until I realized it was Northumbria that I was thinking of.
Hm, I might have been confusing it with Northumbria...

Well, for it to exist or at least a core, I think it requires York Nationalists or the sort. It doesn't happen very often in my games so I can't really say.

I'm sure people have figured this out already, but I discovered an interesting offensive tactic that works against the AI. I'm currently playing as the Cherokee, and so of course I've got asshole European countries randomly declaring war on me with the bullshit Colonial Conquest casus belli. I found that if I offer them military access, they accept it readily. Right before they declare war on you, they tend to cancel this access, which gives you a warning period of at least a month. Within that time, I give them access again. Sometimes they cancel it once more, which delays their attack, and sometimes they declare war anyway and lose 5 stability points. It's funny to see them wreck themselves like that. Anyone ever encountered or used this tactic?

Anyway, here's the end result of my latest campaign as the Cherokee. Bastard Aragonese wouldn't give up Mobile. I'm thinking of playing at a higher difficulty level. By the end of the game, I was over 20 tech levels ahead of the next best nation.

Cherokee1821.png

Cherokee1821.png

Hm, I might have been confusing it with Northumbria... Well, for it to exist or at least a core, I think it requires York Nationalists or the sort. It doesn't happen very often in my games so I can't really say.
Unless they've changed things greatly with the latest version Northumbria starts off with a core and is releasable, Lancaster and York however are countries but don't start off with any cores so you need nationalist rebels to create them before they can be released/revolt. The only problem is that since they both have English as their primary culture then nationalist rebels can't occur is the owner also has the English culture. To get nationalist rebels you'd need to have their provinces be owned by someone with a culture other than English and then a bit of luck since IIRC a lot of the time you'd simply get regular English patriots.

The easiest solution is to simply start a game as England, save it before you unpause it, edit the save file so that you change all the English provinces and cores to York then reload the game and choose to play as them.

I don't like the fact that they have a 'westernize' option in EU3.

Why not? It's the only way you can compete with the European powers when you're playing as one of the lower tech civs. It's like pulling a Meiji.

Or is it that you object to the name "Westernize"?

Why not? It's the only way you can compete with the European powers when you're playing as one of the lower tech civs. It's like pulling a Meiji.
I mean the system is a bit weird. If I'm playing as a Chinese or Indian state, why should I need to westernize? If I maintain steady tech growth I should already be ahead of any European powers. I understand its use in Victoria, where it makes sense. But in EU3, which starts in 1399 (or 1356).....eh.

The fact that you would need to pull a Meiji in EU3 bothers me. Yes.

I mean the system is a bit weird. If I'm playing as a Chinese or Indian state, why should I need to westernize? If I maintain steady tech growth I should already be ahead of any European powers. I understand its use in Victoria, where it makes sense. But in EU3, which starts in 1399 (or 1356).....eh.

The fact that you would need to pull a Meiji in EU3 bothers me. Yes.

I think they mentioned something like that in the EU4 developer diaries. The technology system will be completely overhauled, and I suppose that means deterministic technology growth goes.

I think they mentioned something like that in the EU4 developer diaries. The technology system will be completely overhauled, and I suppose that means deterministic technology growth goes.

I do remember that being mentioned when I checked. Hopefully that is what happens.:)

I was a fan of Europa Universalis II for ages until it died :(

Now I'm getting bored of my other games I am thinking of buying Europa Universalis III

How is EUIII different from EUII? Is it harder or easier?

Is this product a good one to buy? I'd rather buy an actual physical one rather than a download because I'm not too download literate lol

I was a fan of Europa Universalis II for ages until it died :(

Now I'm getting bored of my other games I am thinking of buying Europa Universalis III

How is EUIII different from EUII? Is it harder or easier?

Is this product a good one to buy? I'd rather buy an actual physical one rather than a download because I'm not too download literate lol

EU3 is awesome, but wait for something over half a year and you'll have EU4. In the meantime, try Crusader Kings II.