Europa Universalis III

Is it bad that my only goal in EU3 games now is to make pretty borders everywhere in the world rather than conquer it?

I don't do world-domination either. Maybe one day when I have enough time and patience, but for now, I set random goals and try to achieve them. Usually trying come up with scenarios that are as bizarre as possible. :D

I would be interested in a multiplayer game if there are more players as well.

I just started playing this (I know, I'm a bit of a latecomer) and I'm really enjoying this. Because it's a good beginner nation according to the wiki, I played as Portugal a little yesterday, starting from 1399. When I left off it was 1448, I've got almost all of North-West Africa, as well as the Azores, Canaries, Madeira and Bermuda.

And thanks to me, England owns a bit of Algeria: Algiers declared Jihad on me, I was allied with England and Castille, but I'd run out of manpower because I'd just subjugated Morocco, so they besieged lots of places without me. Castille then entered a peace agreement, gaining a couple of provinces, and I knew I'd be screwed without them so I got England the provinces while I still could :D

Oh, also, the Ottomans are doing awfully for some reason, much to the pleasure of Byzantium.

Latest game was as the Teutonic Knights. Pottered around grabbing bits of Germany and by the time the Reformation rolled around I had most of the Baltic coast, Brandenburg, Holland and Antwerp and had started colonising Manhattan. Declared myself King of Prussia once the Reformation hit but stayed Catholic. Now it's the late 1500s and I'm HRE and have control of the entire eastern seaboard of North America down to the Maya (I've conquered the Aztecs and Creek).

Is it bad that my only goal in EU3 games now is to make pretty borders everywhere in the world rather than conquer it?
Reduced the Welsh population to about 130,000 (not counting cornwall, since they're classification as Welsh is kind of iffy to me). Assuming in game populations are in the hundreds. Ethnically pretty British borders achieved. :)

Also turned Irish into an accepted culture (had to spend twenty years depopulating Munster since it became protestant tho), and let Scotland stay independent/subjugated.

Just started my first game as Teutonic Knights. It's around 16 year in; I've conquered Pskov and vassalized Masovia, Oldenburg, Mecklenburg, and Luneberg. I've racked up a bunch of infamy in the process, so I'm going to cool down for a bit until I feel safe enough to finally take Riga. All in all, I think things went well, since gameplay wasn't that different from CKII and V2 in many respects. I think I might have been able to do better, but I found that as a theocracy, I can't do marriage pacts, so no personal unions for me, that, and accidentally pissing off the HR emperor (Bohemia) with my wars in the north resulted in a short speed bump and a somewhat humiliating peace (I lost a couple spheres). I'd go after Riga (should have done it earlier, but I'd rack up too much infamy.

One thing's for certain, the penalty for infamy seems to be much harsher than it is in V2.

Does anyone else think, though, that the tech/treasury sliders are poorly programmed? If I want to adjust the sliders, instead of adjusting against treasury, most of the sliders adjust against government, which adjusts against treasury. Makes reallocating funding a big pain.

Other than that, though, I rather like the game.

Just started my first game as Teutonic Knights. It's around 16 year in; I've conquered Pskov and vassalized Masovia, Oldenburg, Mecklenburg, and Luneberg. I've racked up a bunch of infamy in the process, so I'm going to cool down for a bit until I feel safe enough to finally take Riga. All in all, I think things went well, since gameplay wasn't that different from CKII and V2 in many respects. I think I might have been able to do better, but I found that as a theocracy, I can't do marriage pacts, so no personal unions for me, that, and accidentally pissing off the HR emperor (Bohemia) with my wars in the north resulted in a short speed bump and a somewhat humiliating peace (I lost a couple spheres). I'd go after Riga (should have done it earlier, but I'd rack up too much infamy.

One thing's for certain, the penalty for infamy seems to be much harsher than it is in V2.

Does anyone else think, though, that the tech/treasury sliders are poorly programmed? If I want to adjust the sliders, instead of adjusting against treasury, most of the sliders adjust against government, which adjusts against treasury. Makes reallocating funding a big pain.

Other than that, though, I rather like the game.

I think the sliders could be done better.

Also, would you want to do a game sometime?

Can anyone tell me if there's any point in attacking Japan? I'm playing as Korea right now and have my heart set on direct control over Honshu, with eventual vassalization of the rest of the isles. Now, it's still split up between the four lesser nations, but I have no idea how to get the provinces on that lower island.

I've assembled a force of roughly 100,000 men, and enough ships to fully blockade the islands. I can take the capital and most of the provinces before my armies need serious replenishing, and the four different China's running around break through the defenses of my colonial empire.

I'm very ignorant on how the Shogun system works. Any suggestions?

So I started my first game as the Ottomans, then 20 years in the save file was getting so huge on account fo a glitch it was taking minutes to save and load, so deleted it.

Second time around I'm now playing as France; it's 1416 and I've peacefully annexed Berry and managed to annex two of the three Provinces of Provence, which itself is BS as I'd occupied all of Provence and had occupied two of Naples (the Alliance Leader) Provinces, but it still would'nt let me take all of Provence, so I took the aforementioned two as well as one of Naples Provinces, which I then sold to the Papal States; even worse though is that this during the war the heir died and their was a new one born later and then the regency council is shit so my legitimacy rate is down to 29%.

I had that bug too. Fixed it this morning, actually. :p

It happens because all the achievement details get duplicated everytime you resign. So after a few dozen resigns, it'll take many minutes to load the game.

First of all, go to Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis III\achievements\achievements.txt and just delete everything that's in the file. Don't delete the file, delete its contents; you'll have an empty achievements.txt. Save that.

Then open the savegame you want to, well, 'save'. :p They're in Europa Universalis III\save games. Open one with Notepad. This took me... Fifteen minutes? Half an hour? Anyway, feel free to go do something else. Notepad is working, it'll open the file, but it'll take long.

Once its opened, Ctrl F nr=". Put your cursor in front of the first nr=", move to the bottom of your file, and shift click at the end of the last nr=". Delete all that (might take some time too).

If I remember correctly, there's a weird string of numbers and letters at the very bottom of the file. You can leave those; I didn't delete them and it works fine. You should check whether the }'s close correctly though (maybe you have to remove one, I don't remember).

Anyway, save your repaired savegame, and go play!

If you clear the achievements file; the next time you resign, do your achievements "reset" from the save point or does it generate from the beginning? It seems like a shame to lose all your achievements.

I wouldn't know, I have it torrented / no achievements.

I do believe there's a beta patch that fixes this issue though. Too bad I discovered that after fixing it manually. :p

I had that bug too. Fixed it this morning, actually. :p

It happens because all the achievement details get duplicated everytime you resign. So after a few dozen resigns, it'll take many minutes to load the game.

First of all, go to Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis III\achievements\achievements.txt and just delete everything that's in the file. Don't delete the file, delete its contents; you'll have an empty achievements.txt. Save that.

Then open the savegame you want to, well, 'save'. :p They're in Europa Universalis III\save games. Open one with Notepad. This took me... Fifteen minutes? Half an hour? Anyway, feel free to go do something else. Notepad is working, it'll open the file, but it'll take long.

Once its opened, Ctrl F nr=". Put your cursor in front of the first nr=", move to the bottom of your file, and shift click at the end of the last nr=". Delete all that (might take some time too).

If I remember correctly, there's a weird string of numbers and letters at the very bottom of the file. You can leave those; I didn't delete them and it works fine. You should check whether the }'s close correctly though (maybe you have to remove one, I don't remember).

Anyway, save your repaired savegame, and go play!

Yeah, I learned about the problem after looking it up and tried initially with the Ottoman Game, but the file by that point was nearly 1 GB in size, and even using a Large File Editor I gave up on having to constantly delete NR stuff continuously after half an hour.

I think the 5.1 patch fixes the problem, but before I go play again later I'm gonna do as you suggested just in case.

If you clear the achievements file; the next time you resign, do your achievements "reset" from the save point or does it generate from the beginning? It seems like a shame to lose all your achievements.

The version I downloaded from GameFly has the achievements turned off, so not an issue for me atleast.