Europa Universalis III

Thanks managed to get the screenshot, but I am having a different problem. My relationship with the Mameluke Sultanate is at +152 then it abruptly drops to the 50s and they declare war, which of course being a minor power I do not have the strength to fight off.

Mind you the other reason this game is being stopped at the 1480s is that all the minor powers have had their independance guaranteed by a bewildering maze of other states and it makes planning a little military expansion impossible.

Still looking for a good blank map of the Arabian Peninsula.

As my first formal post to this thread (Rather than queries) I thought I'd post the details of one of the more interesting Vassal states of Ming Dynasty China (Which I am currently running) in the current game.

The Kingdom of Shan is located roughly where Burma is in the main timeline, but does not have a sea-coast.

In 1399 it was a fairly typical quasi-tribal state. In the 1420s, however the Chinese decided to bring what they termed a rebellious vassal (Dai-Viet) to heel and in the resulting war Shan backed the Vietnamese and found itself overrun with Chinese armies and forced to accept the status of vassal to the Chinese.

This did however bring about a much needed improvement in administration as Chinese 'advisers' took over much of the running of the country.

In the 1460s the Kingdom was forced to accept absorption into China as a province and the then king Binya-Nwe II was set up as a provincial Grandee while the Chinese launched an intensive program of Sinification, eventually (Though with much internal upset) managing to pursuade the populace to accept the teachings of Confucius rather than Buddha.

This status changed when the Emperor Xuande decided that a vassal state in the West would be more cost effective than direct rule over the area and elected to reconstitue an expanded Kingdom of Shan, incorporating not only the original regions ruled by the Kingdom prior to its absorption into the Empire, but imperial regions to the west the Emperor considered would be useful in helping to establish a strong vassal to guard the south-western flank.

The new Kingdom of Shan under the son of the last King (Binya-Nwe III) came into being in June of 1516 and after some initial difficulties (In the form of a revolt of Burmese peasants put down with the aid of Chinese troops.) has settled down into it's new role as guard of the Empires south-west flank.

The kingdom has sent troops in support of Ming offensives in south-east Asia, but has become increasingly worried about it's western flank, where the explusion of Muslim rulers has resulted in internal chaos with several Hindu successor states battling for domination, chaos that the current King of Shan, Shengtsaubu I views with concern, especially with the reports of foreigners from the distant West becoming involved in these conflicts.

The attached pictures show the kingdom as it exists on the 13th of November 1562 and the countries rather interesting demographics resulting from the Kingdoms dissolution and reconstitution, with a three way split existing between the original Shan inhabitants, Han Colonists and Burmese (The Han and the Shan tend to stick together against the Burmese...). In terms of internal organisation, the country is run as a scaled down version of the Ming Empire, most trade goes either east to China or west to the markets of India.

Negotiations are afoot with the Ming to secure support for an offensive designed to secure access to the sea rather than relying on the stability of the nations to the west and south for trade.

The kings of Shan are:

Binya-Nwe I 1385 - 1418
Binya Keng 1418-1421
Binya Dhamma 1421-1426
Binya Ran I 1426-1456
Binya-Nwe II 1456 - c.1460

Chinese Interregnum c. 1460 - 1516

Binya-Nwe III
1516 - 1547 (Son of Binya-Nwe II)
Binya Ran II 1547 - 1555
Shengtsaubu I 1555 -

Kingdom%20of%20Shan_zpsjucazebh.jpg

Kingdom%20of%20Shan%20-%20Demographics_zpszqgwamwp.jpg

If anyone wants to make use of this as a setting for fiction, or as the start point for a timeline feel free...

Last edited:
I used an earlier save (Year: 1525) and here is the V2.0 version of the Kingdom of Shan.

Kingdom of Shan

The Kingdom of Shan is located roughly where Burma is in the main timeline.

In 1399 it was a fairly typical quasi-tribal state. In the 1420s, however the Chinese decided to bring what they termed a rebellious vassal (Dai-Viet) to heel and in the resulting war Shan backed the Vietnamese and found itself overrun with Chinese armies and forced to accept the status of vassal to the Chinese.

This did however bring about a much needed improvement in administration as Chinese 'advisers' took over much of the running of the country.

In the 1460s the Kingdom was forced to accept absorption into China as a province and the then king (Binya-Nwe II) was set up as a provincial Grandee while the Chinese launched an intensive program of Sinification, eventually (Though with much internal upset) managing to pursuade the populace to accept the teachings of Confucius rather than Buddha.

This status changed when the Emperor Xuande decided that a vassal state in the West would be more cost effective than direct rule over the area and elected to reconstitue an expanded Kingdom of Shan, incorporating not only the original regions ruled by the Kingdom prior to its absorption into the Empire, but imperial regions to the west the Emperor considered would be useful in helping to establish a strong vassal to guard the south-western flank.

The new Kingdom of Shan under the son (or Grandson) of the last King (Binya-Nwe III) came into being in June of 1516 and after some initial difficulties (In the form of a revolt of Burmese peasants put down with the aid of Chinese troops.) has settled down into it's new role as guard of the Empires south-west flank.

The kingdom has sent troops in support of Ming offensives in south-east Asia, but has become increasingly worried about it's western flank, where the explusion of Muslim rulers has resulted in internal chaos with several Hindu successor states battling for domination, chaos that the current King of Shan, Shengtsaubu I views with concern, especially with the reports of foreigners from the distant West becoming involved in these conflicts.

The attached pictures show the kingdom as it exists on the 14th of January 1560 and the countries rather interesting demographics resulting from the Kingdoms dissolution and reconstitution, with a five way split existing between the original Shan inhabitants, Han Colonists, Burmese, Mon & Bengali (The Han and the Shan tend to stick together...). Basically the administrative caste is dominated by the Sino/Shan members of the Kingdom, the aristocracy is also dominated by this group, though with the absorbsion of the Kingdom of Taungu there are now a few Burmese aristocrats as well (Those smart enough to turn coat at the right moment).

In terms of internal organisation, the country is run as a scaled down version of the Ming Empire (There are three provinces (I have not yet worked out proper names for them). 1: East (The original Kingdom. Name under the Chinese TBD)) 2: West (Added by the Ming Empire when the Kingdom was re-created and originally taken by the Chinese from the Kingdom of Taungu in 1499-1502. Name under the Chinese TBD)) 3: South (The remnants of the Kingdom of Taungu (Conquered with the aid of the Ming in 1548-49), most trade goes either east to China or west to the markets of India.

The kings of Shan are:

Binya-Nwe I 1385 - 1418
Binya Keng 1418-1421
Binya Dhamma 1421-1426
Binya Ran I 1426-1456
Binya-Nwe II 1456 - c.1460

Chinese Interregnum c. 1460 - 1516

Binya-Nwe III
1516 - 1530
Shengtsaubu I 1530 -

Kingdom%20of%20Shan%20V2.0_zpsz8thyr7t.jpg

Kingdom of Shan V2.0_Demographics_zps0knoapef.jpg

The map below shows the three provinces of the Kingdom of Shan (1. 'East' 2. 'West' & 3. 'South')

Kingdom%20of%20Shan%20V2.0_Provinces_zpson19lafq.jpg

I do want some help working out what the names of the East/West provinces under Chinese rule would have been.

As with the V1.0 version this might make for an interesting location for fiction.

Last edited:
The Empire of Japan (13th of January 1571) in my current game

The Northern Archipelago

Empire%20of%20Japan%20-%20Northern%20Archipelago_zpscqdqpmtn.jpg

The Southern Archipelago

Empire%20of%20Japan%20-%20Southern%20Archipelago_zpsrp4aiooy.jpg

Note the astounded First Portugese explorers to reach the Spice Islands

Demographics

Empire%20of%20Japan%20-%20Demographics_zpsu5fbicc8.jpg

If readers are wondering why more of the Archipelago is not under Japanese rule at this point, well the Ming Chinese have something to do with that, also for some reason I have not yet discovered large areas of the archipelago for some reason.

The following are maps from my most successful run of the game yet.

Grand Duchy of Lithuania

This first map shows the borders as of the 1st of January 1520, following the successful conclusion of a brutal war with the Golden Horde.

Grand%20Duchy%20of%20Lithuania_01_zpszcynnnhr.jpg

This second map shows the religious situation, as can be seen the Grand Dukes have kept the Protestants & the Reformation out of their domain quite successfully, the Kings of Poland, not so much. The most interesting aspect of this timeline though lies to the north in the form of a state that broke away from the Golden Horde during a succession crisis, the Sultanate of Rus, they've made for surprisingly amicable neighbors, so far...

Grand%20Duchy%20of%20Lithuania_02_zpsvgv6dw4t.jpg

The final image is the demographics of the Grand Duchy. It will be interesting to see what the final outcome is in 1821.

Grand%20Duchy%20of%20Lithuania_04_zpsm80sjc58.jpg

The Indian Sub-Continent some 50 years after the expulsion of the last Muslim dynasty.

Sub_Continent_1470_zpswamofiyq.jpg

The list of major states is:

1. Rajputana (Hindu Kingdom)

2. Mysore (Hindu Kingdom)

3. Madurai (Hindu Kingdom)

4. Ceylon (Hindu Kingdom)

5. Orissa (Hindu Kingdom)

6. Gondwana (Hindu Kingdom)

7. Bihur (Hindu Kingdom)

8. Punjab (Hindu Kingdom)

9. Timurid (Muslim Empire)

The Indian Sub-Continent some 42 years (and several wars) later.

Sub_Continent_1512_zpskf2jmyif.jpg

1. Rajputana (Hindu Kingdom)

2. Mysore (Hindu Kingdom)

3. Madurai (Hindu Kingdom)

4. Ceylon (Hindu Kingdom)

5. Orissa (Hindu Kingdom)

6. Gondwana (Hindu Kingdom)

7. Bihur (Hindu Kingdom)

8. Punjab (Hindu Kingdom)

9. Timurid (Muslim Empire)

10. Arakan (Hindu Kingdom)

From a Japan game I decided to restart from an earlier save. The two Ming successor states (The year is 1647).

The Later Qin (Han Chinese Dynasty, Confucian, Founded 1616)

The Wu Dynasty (Sino-Japanese Dynasty, Shinto, Founded 1586)

A follow on from the last post.

The year is 1716 and Heaven's Mandate is firmly in the hands of the True Emperor of China...

Here are demographics of Wu Dynasty China:

For comparison, here is the at start map for the Ming Dynasty:

At start Ming Dynasty Demographics:

As a follow on to yesterdays map, here are a list of the states that border the Chinese Empire.

1. Wu Dynasty China (Shinto)

2. Manchu Empire (Confucian)

3. Kingdom of Korea (Shinto)

4. Empire of Japan (Shinto)

5. Ryukyu Kingdom (Shinto)

6. Annam (Buddhist)

7. Shan Kingdom (Animist(*))

8. Tibet (Buddhist)

9. Oirat Kingdom (Confucian)

*. The Shan Kingdoms religion is a mixture of Anamist/Buddhism/Confucius beliefs.

The current Kingdom of Korea formed from regions that were held by the Japanese when they and the Manchu Empire divided the old Kingdom between them. The current capital is Dague in the south.

Further to the south, the western islands (Sumatra/Borneo) of what in our world are part of Indonesia are inhabited by followers of Shintoism rather than Islam but who are at present independent of the Japanese Empire.

A picture of the Roman (Byzantine) Empire in 1485 after the defeat of the Ottomans...

I will be following this post up with a numbered version in a few days once I have sorted out the games generated history.

That numbered map I mentioned a few months ago will be coming. In the mean time here is a numbered map from the endpoint (1/1/1821) of a different game. This Byzantine Empire actually started as the Kingdom of Morea in 1499 (After Spain thrashed the Ottomans), but with the help of the French (Who started the game as British...), got a little bigger

1. Byzantine Empire
1a. Byzantine Empire (Exarchate of Egypt)
1b. Byzantine Empire (Exarchate of Libya)
2. Sheikdom of Funj
3. Hejaz Sultanate
4. Jalyarid Sultanate
5. French Empire
6. Austrian Empire
7. Republic of Georgia
8. Kingdom of Savoy
9. Kingdom of Croatia
10. Republic of Wallachia
11. Russian Empire
12. Sultanate of Tunis

Demographics are below: