Es Geloybte Aretz Continuation Thread

If you were to add a three page translation of the dishes' names and key ingredients in say English, Italian, and French, that might aid sales as a gift or as a souvenir.

He*l, it could even become required reading for the Papal Guards.

Last edited:
If you were to add a three page translation of the dishes' names and key ingredients in say English, Italian, and French, that might aid sales as a gift or as a souvenir.

He*l, it could even become required reading for the Papal Guards.
Extra pages were the last thing the publisher would countenance. I axed half the introduction and ten recipes, and the entire reading list went into an online appendix.
But I will suggest that as an online thing.

Last edited:
Well, almost a decade later and I finally finished catching up with the story, all i can say that hasn't already been said (by me) is that its awesome and never disappointed and I I await your next installment with the zest of a newborn star... :D

if anyone can help how is langauge doing in europe specifically? Is german Linga Franca of the mittleuropa? what about nordic nations and other european places where is german, french and english used?

if anyone can help how is langauge doing in europe specifically? Is german Linga Franca of the mittleuropa? what about nordic nations and other european places where is german, french and english used?
It's complicated, and I think it was addressed somewhere before in part, so I'll try to be brief. This is not a unipiolar world, linguistically.

The upper classes globally are multilingual. If you pretend to a full education, you will speak French, English and German, and read at least Latin, but probably also Greek.

If you are in international commerce and/or banking, English is required wherever you live.

If you do sciences seriously, you have to read English, German and French. All the big journals are in one of these three.

Language education filters downward gradually, but there is a lot of informal language learning and private-sector schooling. Ultimately, the question for any educated person is not so much which of the leading languages you learn as which one you learn first. That depends a lot of geography and politics.

In much of Central Europe, the first status language people learn is German (the first foreign language they learn is often enough their putative national language). It functions as a lingua franca for travellers, for regional commerce and for military affairs, but the seriopusly upper upper classes use French (and English later in the century) by preference. Since German is a recognised minority language in almost every country there, it is also encountered regularly in signs, official documents, and government publications.

German is also a popular language to learn in Sweden and the Netherlands (as well as Belgium, Serbia, Montenegro and the Ottoman Empire) for employment opportunities and career advancement. But it is always only one of several options. More Swedes learn German than English, but most educated Swedes learn both.

It's complicated, and I think it was addressed somewhere before in part, so I'll try to be brief. This is not a unipiolar world, linguistically.

The upper classes globally are multilingual. If you pretend to a full education, you will speak French, English and German, and read at least Latin, but probably also Greek.

If you are in international commerce and/or banking, English is required wherever you live.

If you do sciences seriously, you have to read English, German and French. All the big journals are in one of these three.

Language education filters downward gradually, but there is a lot of informal language learning and private-sector schooling. Ultimately, the question for any educated person is not so much which of the leading languages you learn as which one you learn first. That depends a lot of geography and politics.

In much of Central Europe, the first status language people learn is German (the first foreign language they learn is often enough their putative national language). It functions as a lingua franca for travellers, for regional commerce and for military affairs, but the seriopusly upper upper classes use French (and English later in the century) by preference. Since German is a recognised minority language in almost every country there, it is also encountered regularly in signs, official documents, and government publications.

German is also a popular language to learn in Sweden and the Netherlands (as well as Belgium, Serbia, Montenegro and the Ottoman Empire) for employment opportunities and career advancement. But it is always only one of several options. More Swedes learn German than English, but most educated Swedes learn both.

A interesting aspect is the rise of the talking movies, one of the main reason Scandinavians have a reputation for being among the better L2 speakers of English (even if it's overestimated at least for as spoken language) is because of the lack of dubbing of foreign movies. But this world is different Scandinavians didn't dub because they were small languages and in Capitalist Europe they were the smallest national state languages under communism (I don't count Irish and Luxemburgian). In Mittleeuropa there's a lot of Scandinavian sized languages, which will likely just use subtitles too. German as a language of culture is also far more important than in OTL and Hollywood is far less important with these strong competing market in Europe. So that will push a more universal understanding of German among the people of Mittleeuropa (and Scandinavia, Benelux, the Balkan and likely the Ottoman Empire) and far greater ability to speak the language.

Intertitles, Ivanhoe Act 3 Scene 2: The Ramparts of Torquilstone, Fritz Lang 1924 [post canon]

Forget the Holy Land. 'Tis but a desert.
Fools, who fight o'er it.
-~-
Today the Order stands behind the throne:
Tomorrow sits upon them -- join me there.
-~-
Love me Rebecca as I'm loving you!
All that is best in me I see within thee!
-~-
No! I shall not renounce my ancient Faith;
Desist Sir, or these walls shall be my grave.
-~-
And so, by equilibrium of Love & Hate
I'll be the instrument of your destruction.

Last edited:
I have good news and bad news.

The good news is, Zauberfeder Verlag just commissioned an English translation of my landsknecht culinary history book and The History Press is interested in a similar work about buccaneers.

The bad news is there goes what time I hoped to have for working on this timeline for the foreseeable future.

The good news is, Zauberfeder Verlag just commissioned an English translation of my landsknecht culinary history book and The History Press is interested in a similar work about buccaneers.

The bad news is there goes what time I hoped to have for working on this timeline for the foreseeable future.

Sad to hear the later, but happy to hear the former.

Congratulations!

Awesome. I'm not gonna buy it, mind (I have never bought a cookbook) but it's very nice for you - and I certainly understand how entertaining us for free has less priority :)

Best of luck Sir! I wish you success.
A interesting aspect is the rise of the talking movies, one of the main reason Scandinavians have a reputation for being among the better L2 speakers of English (even if it's overestimated at least for as spoken language) is because of the lack of dubbing of foreign movies. But this world is different Scandinavians didn't dub because they were small languages and in Capitalist Europe they were the smallest national state languages under communism (I don't count Irish and Luxemburgian). In Mittleeuropa there's a lot of Scandinavian sized languages, which will likely just use subtitles too. German as a language of culture is also far more important than in OTL and Hollywood is far less important with these strong competing market in Europe. So that will push a more universal understanding of German among the people of Mittleeuropa (and Scandinavia, Benelux, the Balkan and likely the Ottoman Empire) and far greater ability to speak the language.
What about in Asia?

Food first, morality later.

Last edited:

Ramontxo

Donor

Please would it be possible to have a link for the english version of the book?
(Whenever it is ready of course, as I I understand it will take time for it to be published)

Re-reading the thread again, I'm curious to learn what universities would be considered especially prestigious in comparison to our timeline. I know Carlton has touched on the matter in the past regarding the quality of education in each country, but are there any specific universities that compare to the OTL American Ivy League schools?

I'm sure Oxbridge is still going strong, but did any continental European universities rise to international prominence without the World Wars? I'd imagine HU Berlin and Göttingen might take the place of Caltech, MIT, or UChicago in this timeline.