Es Geloybte Aretz - a Germanwank

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Russian, the words for "cockroach" and "Prussian" are so close that "Prussian" is a slang word for roach even today.
I feel that might be a pun on Stahlhelm shape; it is the closeness of the terms "Prussian Blue" and "Prussic Acid" which concerns me.

Last edited:
I... wonder if I am missing any subtext, or if they really are only referring to the actual animals mentioned.

Still, I wish them good luck trying to match the best chemical industry of Europe (and arguably the world)... and I doubt they'll manage.
Especially since they kidna have to start from the ground up;

Still, I wish them good luck trying to match the best chemical industry of Europe (and arguably the world)... and I doubt they'll manage.
They shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail.

Huh, really? Could you expand on this? Is it really the case that after the deaths of a large number of males, the birth ratio thereafter is also skewed towards males (at point of birth), or is it more like "male preference."

Barring enforced limits on number of children, I can't see any biological mechanism to bring about this.
If some of my posts provoke, I seek to be coy in others; read here The Lancet:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(05)60234-6/fulltext

Last edited:
Remember that nerve gases are very, very closely related to some pesticides. Organophosphates, iirc.
Attacking the neurons of a grasshopper effectively wants slightly different chemistry than for a human, but not much.
Anything that kills hamsters, rabbits and foxes is pretty much guaranteed to be effective on humans.

I'm pretty sure the audience heard the subtext loud and clear.

Faeelin

Banned
Good luck Russia, but I don't now if this is where they can really pull ahead of Germany.

Did anyone ever make a map?

altamiro

Banned
In Russian, the words for "cockroach" and "Prussian" are so close that "Prussian" is a slang word for roach even today. It's a lazy propaganda trope like "German" and "germ" was in WWI, but it would be familiar to everyone in the room.

Recall the complaint of the occupation officer upthread "they call us cockroaches."

It's not just "close", the official name of the smaller reddish variety of domestic cockroach in Russian ist "Prussian cockroach", as opposed to the black or forest roaches...

Good luck Russia, but I don't now if this is where they can really pull ahead of Germany.
"If Germany sterilized her undesirables a generation ago, we, Russia, shall now correct the oversights of our fathers".

Easy. Not as if any of this makes me happy.

It's not just "close", the official name of the smaller reddish variety of domestic cockroach in Russian ist "Prussian cockroach", as opposed to the black or forest roaches...
(Blattella germanica). But would a Russian muzhik know this ? I request a primary citation.

altamiro

Banned
(Blattella germanica). But would a Russian muzhik know this ? I request a primary citation.
What sort of "primary citation" for "prussak" do you desire? Does a word of a native speaker suffice of should i ask you for a primary citation on every single word in English you are going to use?
P.S. it's not some subsistence farmers discussing in the story, but people with university education, so the knowledge of a muzhik doesn't matter a fig.

Does a word of a native speaker suffice of should i ask you for a primary citation on every single word in English you are going to use?
I shall of course trust the word of a Gentleman implicitly; my apologies if I mistook your nom-de-plume for Iberian. I realize that Estonian at least does indeed translate "prussak" into "cockroach". I stand corrected.

Last edited:

Deleted member 94708

Why does everyone assume they must match or pull ahead of Germany in chemical warfare for such a covert effort to be a success?

Germany will need every force multiplier it can obtain to stave off a Russia with a real industrial base, and the broad outlines of the next war which have been hinted at by Carlton show that it simply does not have them for most of it, not until it is able to visit St. Petersburg and Moscow with the fury of a small sun with the Russians in Prussia and Silesia.

I would suggest that that means that Russian efforts in this and other areas can only be considered a success.

Status
Not open for further replies.