Es Geloybte Aretz - a Germanwank

Status
Not open for further replies.
29 December 1905, Moscow

The table, massive and gilded in the ornate fashion that dominated much of the Kremlin, easily seated the few men who hasd been called to the conference. Nicholas II presided, flanked by his confidants Dubrovin and Pobedonostev, whose advancing illness was now clearly visible to all. Pale and shrivelled, the Prokurator stood in almost comical contrast to the round-cheeked, cheery picture of health that Dubrovin was. On the right side of the table, First Minister Goremykin and governor Trepov, who had abandoned his post on the orders of the Czar and become his main adviser on internal affairs, had entrenched themselves behind a row of file binders. On the left, visibly uncomfortable in this company, sat General Sukhomlinov and Admiral Rozhestvensky. They had been called upon to present their plans.

“Gentlemen,” the Czar began, speaking quietly, but with the kind of conviction he had not had in months, “I have called you here to discuss the feasibility of a war with Germany. You are already aware of that nation's shameful meddling in our internal affairs. The question that remains is not what we ought or must, but what we can do. I am heartened to hear that our position is far less desperate than some have claimed. Prokurator?”
Pobedonostsev smiled coldly and spoke in a thin, reedy voice. “Your Majesty, the main question in such a battle is to know the mettle of your opponent's soul. Emperor Wilhelm was a factor of uncertainty, but we have his measure now. The man is weak. You will have noted his moral depravity, of course - he refuses to marry still, openly cohabiting with a mistress who is a known whore. His court is a refuge of pederasts and effeminates. He is irreligious and morally aimless, and as it seems fitting for a character of his kind, helpless without the advice of associates of superior intellect.”
The two soldiers exchanged a momentary glance. There was one to talk! Pobedonostsev continued, pretending not to notice.
“His domestic policies show that he is weak-willed and ready to compromise to achieve peace and ensure his own wellbeing. Even his domestic enemies ghave been corrupted into acquiescence with his plans, we must not underestimate his persuasive skills or his political powers. but he has neither the backbone nor the faith to entrust his fate to the judgement of God in battle. That is what we must keep in mind first and foremost.”
Trepov nodded his assent. “If I may, Sire: his foreign policy to date has mostly been concerned with producing compromise, even at the cost of foreshortening his own options. The Congo Conference should tell you everything you need to know. Had he been patient, just a few more years of letting this fester, and then taken a firm line with France, he could have gained a large piece of territory for himself. The British would certainly have supported him. They would have had no other choice. This way, he has gained short-term accolades as a master compromiser and broker of treaties, at the cost of valuable land and giving up future laurels as a conqueror. He likes to be liked too much, Sire.”
Pobedonostsev took up his speech again: “Let usa not forget he is a young man still, jealous of his honour and quick to overreact. He is given to panic and instinctively gives in to opponents rather than standing his ground when attacked. Neither does he have the Napoleonic gift for seizing the moment. Had he more fully supported the Japanese, or marched on us this summer, he could have gained large territories, even destroyed much of our army. Instead, he dithered, playing half-heartedly with his secret support and clandestine funding. He lacked the courage to grasp what he saw. That is the way this man operates. He is cautious, accommodating, weak-willed and timid. Faced with humiliation, he will not muster the courage to bear up.”
“Thank you, Prokurator.” Nicholas nodded gratefully. “With this in mind, general, admiral, what is your position on the practical side of things?”

Sukhomlinov cleared his throat. He had been briefed on what was expected, but it was still no easy matter. “Your Majesty,” he began, “you will understand that this is a prospect we have long considered with great apprehension.”
Nicholas waved dismissively. “General, I am sure the Germans are a formidable foe. Yet we cannot allow them to frighten us into inaction by their grand spectacle. What can we do?”
“Our hope must be, Majesty, to have an ally in France. Our intelligence suggests that the Germans in the event of a war will allocate the greater part of their army to the west, standing on the defensive against us in the hope of ensuring victory over France before turning east. This could prove a strategic error of the first order under the right circumstances.” He pointed to a map he had brought. “France has invested heavily in fortifications on its border. Germany must fight its way past this chain or abandon all hope of victory. No other route is open. Britain will never countenance an attack through neutral countries, and Belgium cannot ally with either side in such a struggle. Meanwhile, we would be in a favourable position to attack. Berlin is not far from the border. It has seen enemy troops before.”
“We can be sure of France?” Dubrovin had spoken out of turn. Five pairs of eyes focused on the interloper.
“As sure as you may be in such things.” Goremykin curtly informed him. “It would be madness for France not to join in the battle. Its only hope of recovering Alsace-Lorraine lies in defeating Germany, which it cannot do on its own.”
“Thank you.” Sukhomlinov continued almost seamlessly. “Now, the German army is formidable, as I have said, but not as dangerous an enemy now as you may have been led to believe. Firstly, the quality of its forces has deteriorated. Its cavalry is still excellent, but – Germany is not horse country. their men are no match for ours. And we will be able to deploy vastly more horse than they, with the bulk of their cavalry engaged against France. The infantry has suffered from recent expansions. The regiments have been diluted with newcomers, many of them unwilling and unmilitary, and they lack officers and NCOs to train the men properly. A significant portion of their training cadre is with the Poles right now. Their artillery is focused heavily on sieges and not mobile enough. And their entire military has no experience of battle. They have not fought a real war in near a generation, while our men come seasoned from Manchuria and Turkey. On the defensive, with ample time to prepare and receive the blow, all of this might not matter too greatly. We would still struggle against them. But here, we have been given an advantage.”
“How so?”Nicholas sounded genuinely curious.
”Our forces will already be in the field fighting the Polish rebels. Placing them in position for a sudden hammer blow against the German border should not be too difficult, and will not arouse suspicion.”
Pobedonostsev interrupted him. “General, will they not take precautions against such an eventuality?”
“If I may,” Trepov was not a military man, but he understood such things better than many field officer. “I do not believve they can. Wilhelm does not realise or understand the extent of his power. He is surrounded by a clique of industrialists and merchants whose liberal vision of government has strongly influenced him. Germany can only mobilise its army by drafting reserves of industrial workers. It lacks stockpiles of important raw materialsto become war-ready. Doing so would cost it huge amounts of money. that alone would not be the problem. Germany has this money. But the emperor does not dare take it. While he values wealth and quietude over valour, we will be facing Germany unready.”
“Yes!” Nicholas sounded almost enthusiastic. “Politically, this would be what we seek. You understand, gentlemen, we do not want German land or people. What we seek is only what is ours. But to restore the honour and unity of Russia, a victory will be needed. With no territorial concessions required, peace could be made on easy terms. Look at how the Prussians dealt with the Austrians in 1866 – and now they are firm allies.”
Sukhomlinov cautioned. “Your Majesty, the French will ask for Alsace-Lorraine. Surely Germany will not easily give it up.”
Goremykin could not suppress a smile. “For all I know, they may be able to take it. But we will let Paris negotiate for Alsace-Lorraine and make our peace on our terms. Wilhelm will be glad enough to have escaped with his skin intact after the first defeats. And if he wants to go on – well, on the road to St Petersburg lie Poltava and Borodino.”
The general fell silent.

Nicholas turned to Admiral Rozhestvensky. “Well, so much for our chances on land. How do you rate them by sea?”
The admiral bowed his head. “Sire, better than they were. The German fleet is no longer superior to ours in the Baltic, and far inferior to both ours and the French, assuming it came to that. More likely, the French will seek not to provoke Britain and stay their hand, but even then, the Germans will require some units in the North Sea. Our own fleet has improved greatly with the training and experience the crews have gained. They are incomparable to the men who so disappointed us even a year ago.”
“So you would seek a battle to decide the issue?” Sukhomlinov asked.
“Perhaps. However, my subordinate, the very talented Admiral Nebogatov, has been working on a different plan which includes our lessons from the war with Japan. Dearly bought though they were, I believe they will stand us in good stead. And as Your Majesty pointed out, defeat and humiliation through a series of hard blows are what Germany cannot bear. Her coasts are almost inconsequential, but if we defeat her navy, we will bottle it up in port and never need to worry about it again. they cannot replace the losses of capital ships within the time of a war or recall units from elsewhere. There is no elsewhere. The French, meanwhile, may attack their colonies and trade routes safely.”
“You think they will give, then?” Trepov asked.
“I think so.” Rozhestvensky agreed. “Just like the Japanese would have, had the British not interfered. The German navy is a hard but brittle instrument. Its morale is strung to the highest pitch. It has no tradition of victory. Breaking it should be easier by far than the Prussian army.”
“Very well, gentlemen.” The Czar interrupted. “Let us discuss the details some other time. Recall, gentlemen, that I wish this to be an option to use should the newed arise. Prepare yourselves in the event I should call on you to take this step, but do not be disappointed if the day never comes. And admiral, I wish to speak to your subordinate Nebogatov. He strikes me as a likely fellow.”

Oh for fuck's sake. I hope they're all shot by the Revolutionaries.

That's what they're trying to avoid right now. I mean, when the country is at war, true Russians will rally around the flag, right?

(That said, the plan is not completely insane. By contemporary Russian standards, that is. Certainly better than the Second Pacific Squadron.)

Cool, no hurry. Does the description in the article in the Congo compromise make sense to you? I've used terminology from a British atlas printed in 1890 and a German one from 1912. The "Burundi territory" is more than just the modern state Burundi, it's a broad corridor. The exact boundaries were not yet defined at the time, but I'm assuming more or less modern Ruanda and Burundi, enough room for a railway.

Actually, there is one thing that I'm having a bit of trouble with. You said in the Belgian Conference update on Portugal's territorial gains:

Portugal will acquire a territory bordering Angola, delimited by a line running east from Boma to the Congo river, then by the course of the Congo and Lualaba, including a small stretch east of the Lualaba to the present boundary between Zambia and Angola.

Which doesn't seem to make sense, because with Portugal having gained that much land, it's become the nation that's got the most land out of the partition, when you explictly stated that France had come out with the most land. The "small stretch east" to the border of Zambia and Angola doesn't fit, either, because you would have to move the border west to reach that. Here's a quick map that I stole off the Internet and filled in to show my point:

PortugalProblem.gif

I´d be honest with you and say that this is probably the best timeline on these forums at the moment (damning with faint praise if I ever heard one). Frequently updated and small changes that goes in line with what the people in question could have plausibly done without loosing sight of societys norms and values at the time. Many people start out with a good idea but then fall in the trap of making small things lead to big changes far too quick.

Anyway keep up the good work.

It seems that the Russians did not really understood why they were having such problems against the Japanese. And if they believe that their antiquated tactics will work against the Germans , well, then they are completely wrong.
So, the Great War will start early but with Russia (and France(?)) as the aggressors and not Germany.

It seems that the Russians did not really understood why they were having such problems against the Japanese. And if they believe that their antiquated tactics will work against the Germans , well, then they are completely wrong.

They have things partly right. As far as they are concerned, the big issues in the war were logistics and morale. thewy couldn't get logistics right because the transsiberian railway was too thin a line to carry all the supplies they needed, and thus they could not bring to bear the advantage of numbers as fully as they wanted to.. They managed to halt the pagan hordes before the russian border, though, so they are convinced they haven't really lost alarmingly, just miscalculated a bit. Wherever they had all the troops they felt they needed, they beat the enemy handily. The idea is that if they had been fighting closer to their centre of power, they would have won. Since the German border is where all their railways and industry are, that is where they feel more confident they can use their numerical superirity to better advantage. The other thing is morale, which has a point. If the Russian troops had been more fired up, they would have been more successful. Their idea of raising morale is - interesting, but not out of character for the "Black Hundred", of course.

What they're missing is the advantage in training and discipline that the enemy had.

So, the Great War will start early but with Russia (and France(?)) as the aggressors and not Germany.

That's the idea, though we can expect some hectic and increasingly frenzied diplomacy coming before.

A smiley by request of our resident six-year-old (not a multiple personality, a real consumer of attention and time) :eek:

They have things partly right. As far as they are concerned, the big issues in the war were logistics and morale. thewy couldn't get logistics right because the transsiberian railway was too thin a line to carry all the supplies they needed, and thus they could not bring to bear the advantage of numbers as fully as they wanted to.. They managed to halt the pagan hordes before the russian border, though, so they are convinced they haven't really lost alarmingly, just miscalculated a bit. Wherever they had all the troops they felt they needed, they beat the enemy handily. The idea is that if they had been fighting closer to their centre of power, they would have won. Since the German border is where all their railways and industry are, that is where they feel more confident they can use their numerical superirity to better advantage. The other thing is morale, which has a point. If the Russian troops had been more fired up, they would have been more successful. Their idea of raising morale is - interesting, but not out of character for the "Black Hundred", of course.

So teh Russians believe that high numbers will win the day against the industrial superpower of Europe that learned a bit more about modern warfare in Japan?

Not to mention that they'll fight the second most inudstrialized country in Europe as well...

Question now is how to win that war? Even with Britain on the German side, to win the war either Russia sues for peace or breaks down in revolt - it cannot be defeated, and the Germans know it. It'll be interesting how you knock out France: through Belgium or not - and if not, how?

Keep up the good work!

Faeelin

Banned
Question now is how to win that war? Even with Britain on the German side, to win the war either Russia sues for peace or breaks down in revolt - it cannot be defeated, and the Germans know it. It'll be interesting how you knock out France: through Belgium or not - and if not, how?

Why can't Russia be defeated? It lost in the Crimea, it lost to Napoleon a couple of times...

Carlton, it's going to take me a couple days longer than I anticipated to make your map. This is due to unforseen obligations off the computer, the map turning out to be more difficult to make than I anticipated, and viruses (Seriously, who had the idea to jam viruses in a map of Congo rivers? What the hell?)

Anyways, many apologies, and best of luck with your TL-writing.

Why can't Russia be defeated? It lost in the Crimea, it lost to Napoleon a couple of times...

In Crimea, the Russians could have retreated and repeated their strategy against Napoleon's Russian campaign. Germany cannot win this - not even with Britain on its side. So ultimately the question is whether Russia accepts defeat when German armies have occupied Poland or some more territories - or whether the internal situation of Russia allows for a continuation of the war. This wasn't the case in Brest-Litovsk, but the Germans cannot count that in. They have Napoleon as an example for a thrust deep into Russia, and that failed miserably. They have other wars - Crimea, other Napoleonic victories - where Russia was defeated by knocking out all its allies. That's what they shoul go for: liberate Finland, Poland and the Baltics, get the Romanians, Japanese and Ottomans to conquer something on the fringes, knock out all Russian allies and propose peace. After all, France can be defeated in a more classical sense: At this point in time, taking Paris effectively ends France's ability to continue the war (Britain could even prevent any evacuation, which IMHO is however doubtful at this point in time).

Anyway, I realize that I've been too rigorous. Let's say that war with Russia offers a serious chance to get annihilated deep in Russian lands.

Last edited:
What about Brest-Litovsk?

Brest-Litovsk was one of those things that shouldn't have worked. It was not what the great general staff expected before the war. The going assumption was that you could defat Russia's armies militarily (they significantly underestimated them, actually), but you could not defeat Russia, only force it to conclude an unfavourable peace. The idea that the German army could successfully occupy such huge swathes of land was not common, and the way Ludendorff did it went a long way towards producing the Führer myth that Hitler would exploit. Without the interior collapse of Russia, it would have been impossible. And even so, the Germans didn't get as far as Moscow. Napoleon did, and it didn't help him.

And do not forget that the Russians were not above to destroy their own land before retreating (Scornched Earth). This tactic was used by Peter the Great and Alexander I and Stalin. But it had been outlawed by the Hague Convention of 1907.

And do not forget that the Russians were not above to destroy their own land before retreating (Scornched Earth). This tactic was used by Peter the Great and Alexander I and Stalin. But it had been outlawed by the Hague Convention of 1907.

Nicholas will cry rivers, but he's under the influence of people like Pobedonstsev and Dubrovin. They will not care about a few million people more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.