How's the Timeline?

• Total voters
lol... The US is completely boxed in between two monarchies.

Not sure how Central America will go, is reunification into the Mexican Empire on the table at all?
It is probable with Guatemala. There was an attempt even in 1884 otl. With the others it is highly unlikely.

Will you be doing an update on the US Civil War? I'm not sure how it ended early and Lincoln survived his assassination. My thought was that, even if Maximilian didn't help the South, the chaos in the Republican side would help them with the smuggling, keeping the war going just a tad longer

Will you be doing an update on the US Civil War? I'm not sure how it ended early and Lincoln survived his assassination. My thought was that, even if Maximilian didn't help the South, the chaos in the Republican side would help them with the smuggling, keeping the war going just a tad longer
The recent chapter finished off at the end of may 1865. The us civil war ended on April 1865 so the civil war in the us is definitely over. Not much changes there. Interborder smuggling at this time was painfully low to the point that the economy hurt due to a lack of needed black marketing. Both the confederates and Americans policed Thier borders extremely well during the civil war.

Will Blacks be accepted in Mexico when the KKK and Jim Crow laws are enforced? And will they move to a far more stable Mexico, esp. when in many cases it's closer for those in the deep South than Chicago?

Will Blacks be accepted in Mexico when the KKK and Jim Crow laws are enforced? And will they move to a far more stable Mexico, esp. when in many cases it's closer for those in the deep South than Chicago?
For places such as in Texas, Louisiana, immigrating to Mexico will certainly be cheaper than the long journey north.

I see you've finally embraced your love of the Second Empire. Interested in seeing where this goes.

As for predictions, I'm going to guess the following:
-America gets around to recognizing the Empire in the late 1860s/early 1870s. With the Mexican Republicans collapsing and France withdrawing, they don't really have the means or motivation to pursue a sustained campaign against Maximilian without directly invading. Plus, an Austrian supported monarchy is far less of a threat than France having troops on the Southern border.
-Lincoln surviving is going to change reconstruction a great deal, especially since it isn't clear how having someone try and kill him changes his plans for reconstruction. Would this push him to be more radical? Or alternatively, scare him towards being more reconciliatory? Hard to say.
-Lincoln himself was a proponent of freed slave colonization, and with him having far more political skill than Grant, I could see him successfully pushing through the (Historical) treaty annexing Santo Domingo. Alternatively, if the butterflies cause Spain to have greater success there, perhaps he tries Liberia or Haiti? Hard to say, he may not do this at all.
-No Andrew Johnson is good for the freed slaves. Even in the short period he had without congress blocking his agenda he managed to wipe out the freed slaves gains during the civil war and allowed the reimplementation of the Black Codes.

Well this is a great little TL! Subscribed and looking forward to more!
Thanks, hope you enjoy!
I see you've finally embraced your love of the Second Empire. Interested in seeing where this goes.
Indeed I have!
-America gets around to recognizing the Empire in the late 1860s/early 1870s. With the Mexican Republicans collapsing and France withdrawing, they don't really have the means or motivation to pursue a sustained campaign against Maximilian without directly invading. Plus, an Austrian supported monarchy is far less of a threat than France having troops on the Southern border.
It's the relative realignment of Maximiliano I from France to Austria that would greatly allay American fears yes. It will probably take a few years of posturing but America will recognize Imperial Mexico,
-Lincoln surviving is going to change reconstruction a great deal, especially since it isn't clear how having someone try and kill him changes his plans for reconstruction. Would this push him to be more radical? Or alternatively, scare him towards being more reconciliatory? Hard to say.
The man is old and too set in his ways to become too radical, but a more push and effort towards successful reconstruction is likely, alongside a good amount of reconciling
-Lincoln himself was a proponent of freed slave colonization, and with him having far more political skill than Grant, I could see him successfully pushing through the (Historical) treaty annexing Santo Domingo. Alternatively, if the butterflies cause Spain to have greater success there, perhaps he tries Liberia or Haiti? Hard to say, he may not do this at all.
Can't give up anything here. Let's just say the Dominigo Restoration War goes very differently ittl.
-No Andrew Johnson is good for the freed slaves. Even in the short period he had without congress blocking his agenda he managed to wipe out the freed slaves gains during the civil war and allowed the reimplementation of the Black Codes.
Indeed, unfortunately he still has a part to play ittl.

I could see interesting butterflies in Europe. Napoleon III could still war with Prussia, and still lose, but keep his prewar borders and his crown...

Can’t help but make another thread Sārthākā? I’m honestly impressed with your muse and your researching skills. Anyway, as usual great idea, and even better writing, I am looking forward to what’s gonna happen.

Is Central America gonna be reunified? Knowning that Mexico will now be a greater threat than OTL, the fact that Diaz invaded the place bc of that but backed off due to US pressure. And now knowing that there is a threat up north, its likely that Barrios' proposal for a united central america be accepted and they reunite again instead of him going on a military campaign which resulted into failure

A consideration: a more successful Mexico is less easy to push around, possibly convincing some segments of US political elite to gaze northward instead. This, in turn, would suit Britain ill.

But might also make London consider whether trapping their American headache between two allies could work.

A consideration: a more successful Mexico is less easy to push around, possibly convincing some segments of US political elite to gaze northward instead. This, in turn, would suit Britain ill.

But might also make London consider whether trapping their American headache between two allies could work.
I think it's likelier that the success of Imperial Mexico results in the dominions getting their own monarchs in this timeline.

I think it's likelier that the success of Imperial Mexico results in the dominions getting their own monarchs in this timeline.
Actually, I think it would more likely have the opposite effect. The Fathers of Confederation have just seen Mexico as an independent republic, and within 50 years of independence, get invaded by the US which resulted in the loss of half the country, and get invaded by France which resulted in the imposition of a foreign monarch. Now, we know that the latter was most likely a one-off due to the US being distracted by the Civil War, but the Fathers do not have the benefit of hindsight, and even if they did, fear is rarely rational. That said, I think the main effect of this would be on the wording of the BNA Act 1867 by:
1. Emphasising the indissolubility of the monarchy and the indivisibility of the Crown of Canada from the Crown of the UK, as well as other explicitly anti-republican language. May also include further items to distinguish Canada from US such as the status of Franco-Canadians, and the status of the Indigenous peoples.
2. Emphasis on the fact that Canada is not an independent nation but a self-governing subject of the UK, to deter meddling in Canadian affairs from other foreign powers.
3. Making it harder to change the BNA Act 1867 or to replace it with something else.