enquiry : 15 English provinces for HYW Chess game

Hi,
In order to make a HYW game, I need England and Wales cut in 15 provinces.
Could anyone give me a map with the name of the provinces, the large cities, and giving for 7 of them the labels : mountains, large trade node, capital or ecclesiastic province.
To give you an idea, here is France (without the map) :
Capital : Île de France
Mountains : Auvergne
County of Burgondy
Trade nodes : Aquitaine
Champagne
Ecclesiastic : Provence
Dauphiné
Others :
Normandy
Brittany
Languedoc
Artois
Picardy
Poitou
Anjou
Duchy of Burgondy
Thanks

Hi,
In order to make a HYW game, I need England and Wales cut in 15 provinces.
You could make something with the counties map from Wikipedia and a slightly modified version of the duchies from Crusader Kings II, which are:

1. Cornwall
2. Wessex
3. Kent
4. Essex
5. East Anglia
6. Hwicce (Gloucester)
7. Mercia (Hereford)
8. York
9. Lancaster
10. Northumbria
11. Gwynnedd
12. Deheubarth

Capital in Essex, unless you make London a separate province; trade hub in East Anglia (Norwich) or Wessex (Southampton); mountains in York (Pennines), Lancaster (Pennines/Lake District) or Northumbria (Cheviots), Gwynedd (Snowdonia); ecclesiastical centre in Kent (Canterbury), York (York) or Northumbria (Durham).

You could make something with the counties map from Wikipedia and a slightly modified version of the duchies from Crusader Kings II, which are:

1. Cornwall
2. Wessex
3. Kent
4. Essex
5. East Anglia
6. Hwicce (Gloucester)
7. Mercia (Hereford)
8. York
9. Lancaster
10. Northumbria
11. Gwynnedd
12. Deheubarth

Capital in Essex, unless you make London a separate province; trade hub in East Anglia (Norwich) or Wessex (Southampton); mountains in York (Pennines), Lancaster (Pennines/Lake District) or Northumbria (Cheviots), Gwynedd (Snowdonia); ecclesiastical centre in Kent (Canterbury), York (York) or Northumbria (Durham).

Use Gloucester and Hereford. The Hwicce and Mercia labels are only in CK2 because they pushed the earliest starts back to the 8th century. No Englishman during the HYW would have even heard of Hwicce, and most would have only the vaguest idea of what Mercia was.

Edit: In fact, it strikes me that your classification kind of omits the centre of England entirely, which is somewhat ironic when you consider that that constitutes the most important regions. I would say you definitely need a Middlesex region, and something to cover the Midlands. A couple of regions could be renamed for greater historicity to the period, too. Perhaps something along these lines?

Cornwall
Wessex
The Cinque Ports - large trade node
Middlesex - capital
Essex
East Anglia - large trade node?
Gloucester
Warwick
Lincoln
York - mountains?
Lancaster
Durham - ecclesiastical province
The North/The Borders - mountains
Principality of Wales
The Welsh Marches - mountains

Arguably I would also suggest including Calais (possibly in place of Gloucester?) and designating it a large trade node. I know it's in France, but that's not how the English saw it then.

Last edited:
Use Gloucester and Hereford. The Hwicce and Mercia labels are only in CK2 because they pushed the earliest starts back to the 8th century. No Englishman during the HYW would have even heard of Hwicce, and most would have only the vaguest idea of what Mercia was.

Edit: In fact, it strikes me that your classification kind of omits the centre of England entirely, which is somewhat ironic when you consider that that constitutes the most important regions. I would say you definitely need a Middlesex region, and something to cover the Midlands. A couple of regions could be renamed for greater historicity to the period, too. Perhaps something along these lines?

Cornwall
Wessex
The Cinque Ports - large trade node
Middlesex - capital
Essex
East Anglia - large trade node?
Gloucester
Warwick
Lincoln
York - mountains?
Lancaster
Durham - ecclesiastical province
The North/The Borders - mountains
Principality of Wales
The Welsh Marches - mountains

Arguably I would also suggest including Calais (possibly in place of Gloucester?) and designating it a large trade node. I know it's in France, but that's not how the English saw it then.
It is supposed to be chess, so I'll say no to Calais, and we need another Bishop.
I don't know much about England, except for the shape, soyyour help is very valuable.

It is supposed to be chess, so I'll say no to Calais, and we need another Bishop.
I don't know much about England, except for the shape, soyyour help is very valuable.

Got to be honest, I kind of forgot it was for chess. I wasn't really thinking about what the pieces had to be.

I would suggest turning The Cinque Ports into Canterbury so that you get another Ecclesiastical province, but then you lose a major trade node, and England didn't exactly have many of them in that period. So maybe instead make York an ecclesiastical province? It's a little bit of a fudge, but it kind of works.

Got to be honest, I kind of forgot it was for chess. I wasn't really thinking about what the pieces had to be.

I would suggest turning The Cinque Ports into Canterbury so that you get another Ecclesiastical province, but then you lose a major trade node, and England didn't exactly have many of them in that period. So maybe instead make York an ecclesiastical province? It's a little bit of a fudge, but it kind of works.
Yeah, it works better this way.
By the way Lyon (Dauphiné) is because of the Primacy of the Gauls and Provence because of the Avignon Papacy.
The game will be in Shared Worlds in a few days.

In fact, it strikes me that your classification kind of omits the centre of England entirely, which is somewhat ironic when you consider that that constitutes the most important regions.
Their classification, strictly: I suggested it because they'd probably done a reasonable amount of playtesting on their boundaries, and because there were three regions left over to tweak it. To be fair to Paradox, it's not easy to draw coherent regions in the Midlands in any time period: I've done reworked Cardwell/Sandys reforms which are just as difficult.

Warwick, Lincoln, Gloucester and the Welsh Marches works slightly better because it's four regions rather than two, but still has problems. The close proximity of Warwick, Gloucester and the Marches; whether Oxfordshire is included in Warwickshire or folded into Middlesex/London with which it has strong cultural links; Lincoln presumably remains a nebulous entity which rather uncomfortably includes Nottingham, Derbyshire and Leicester; then there's the unanswered question of how far East Anglia extends out- to Northamptonshire and Lincolnshire, as it did when they created the Royal Anglian regiment, or something more modest. Basically, wherever the line goes causes problems.

It doesn't seem quite right, to be honest. The big two ecclesiastical centres of England have always been York and Canterbury (in the latter's case, since before there was an England): overlooking that is kind of like making London a trade node rather than a capital. Furthermore, two northern ecclesiastical provinces (York and Durham) unbalances the map. On the trade front, wool was the most critical export in the period: East Anglia represents the network of towns like Norwich, Ipswich, Thetford, etc., exporting to the Low Countries and Wessex represents the network of Southampton, Portsmouth and Winchester exporting to France and beyond.