Part 21: Austro-Prussian War
Part 21: Austro-Prussian War

Austria and Prussia, despite their shared Germanic heritage, did not get along. One was Catholic, the other Protestant. One liked the mountains, the other the sea. One was run by an insanely inbred royal family, the other may or may not have been. Both, however, wanted to control the Central European region of Silesia. There’d been wars fought between the two in the past over this region, with Prussia eventually gaining the upper hand, and Austria wanted its revenge. In 1796, the Austro-Prussian War began, with the Ottoman Empire siding with Prussia and the Russian Empire siding with Austria. The Austro-Russian alliance had many more troops in total than the Prussians and Turks, but Prussia had superior military tactics and technology, especially over Russia. However, technology wasn’t as big of a factor in wars at this time as pure manpower was, and even after suffering initial losses, the Austrian and Russian summer offensive of 1798 was a massive success, advancing far into Ottoman territory in the Balkans and Prussian territory in Germany. Due to this, the British refrained from intervening on the side of Prussia, and in 1801, Prussia sued for peace, ceding Silesia to Austria.

Ok, I am not knowledgeable on turn of the 19th Century European geopolitics, so this was quite a short update, and if any of you have advice, that would be beneficial.

Alternate Italy Map.png

Here's my idea for what becomes of Italy:
  • Sardinia-Piedmont evolves into a North Italian state (called something like Padania or just Italy, I'll just call it North Italy for now). The capital is likely Turin, although Florence could potentially become the capital at some point. North Italy is likely influenced by France, will certainly industrialize, and is probably the strongest of the Italian states.
  • The Kingdom of Naples covers Southern Italy, and is the main rival to North Italy. The capital is Naples (duh), and is influenced by Spain. South Italy may or may not industrialize, and may or may not be as corrupt as OTL's Southern Italy.
  • The Papal States loses territory over time, and is reduced to just the area around Rome.
  • Lombardy-Veneto is under Austrian influence.
  • Corsica is still part of France ITTL (although it's possible that they'd trade Corsica for North Italy's territory on the French side of the Alps, making it OTL's France-Italy border).
How does this look? Leave your feedback.

View attachment 453581
Here's my idea for what becomes of Italy:
  • Sardinia-Piedmont evolves into a North Italian state (called something like Padania or just Italy, I'll just call it North Italy for now). The capital is likely Turin, although Florence could potentially become the capital at some point. North Italy is likely influenced by France, will certainly industrialize, and is probably the strongest of the Italian states.
  • The Kingdom of Naples covers Southern Italy, and is the main rival to North Italy. The capital is Naples (duh), and is influenced by Spain. South Italy may or may not industrialize, and may or may not be as corrupt as OTL's Southern Italy.
  • The Papal States loses territory over time, and is reduced to just the area around Rome.
  • Lombardy-Veneto is under Austrian influence.
  • Corsica is still part of France ITTL (although it's possible that they'd trade Corsica for North Italy's territory on the French side of the Alps, making it OTL's France-Italy border).
How does this look? Leave your feedback.

Looks good

Of course it is. Unless of course you are talking about an undiscovered kangaroo civilisation that starts the industrial revolution by carrying coal in their pouches.
I posted "I'm pretty sure that's a joke, right?", but deleted it and made Part 21.5 on Australian Wildlife.

Part 22: Industrial Revolution

The 19th Century would be a century of change, but of all the changes that took place during those 100 years, by far the biggest one was the Industrial Revolution. This wasn’t really a revolution, but rather a series of technological and economic developments that changed the structures of human civilization that had stood for thousands of years, and it all started on a small island in the North Atlantic…

The Industrial Revolution had its origins in Mid-Late 18th Century Britain, and that was due to a variety of different factors. For one, Britain was politically stable, unlike many nations on the continent, so that enabled more technological innovation. Another factor were the large coal and iron reserves in Britain, the two key resources needed for industrialization, not to mention the resources Britain had in its overseas colonies (cough cough America cough cough India). British inventions such as the Spinning Jenny, which could process textiles faster than doing it by hand, as well as colonial inventions such as the Cotton Gin helped British industry boom. British cities such as Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham and, of course, London boomed as rural folk flocked to the cities for work, but this was not to be limited to Britain for long…

Soon after the Industrial Revolution really began to take off in Britain, it crossed the Channel to The Netherlands, Northern Germany and Atlantic France. In addition, industry started to appear in the Commonwealth of America, especially in cities like New York, Boston and Kirkeston. Regions with large coal reserves like Wallonia, Artois and the Rhine Valley began the process of industrialization in the Early 19th Century (BTW, there will be a major war between France and Austria over the Austrian Netherlands in the Early-Mid 19th Century, that’s coming soon).

The new update is in progress, it's just that it's a big update and is taking a while to type, but it'll be up within the next day or two.

Part 23: Nieuw Holland
Part 23: Nieuw Holland

In a previous update, I discussed European exploration of Terra Australis, whether it be from the British, French, or, in this case, the Dutch. The Dutch were the first Europeans to discover Terra Australis, and had stumbled upon the West Coast of Terra Australis on numerous occasions when sailing between Cape Town (Kaapstad) and Batavia/Jakarta. The Dutch found Western Australia pretty useless, as it was mostly desert, usually staking a claim and continuing on to Batavia.

However, with the British colony of New South Wales on the East Coast, and increasing French exploration in the region, The Dutch figured that it was time to establish a trading post or two in the Southwestern corner of Terra Australis. And so, on October 3rd, 1823, the Dutch established Fort Vlamingh at the mouth of the Black Swan River (the fort being named for Willem de Vlamingh, the Dutch explorer who discovered the Black Swan River). The post was established to provide food to sailors traveling between the Cape of Good Hope and the East Indies, which was grown at Nieuw Utrecht, located 25 miles up the river. Finding the area to have a Mediterranean Climate not unlike that of the Cape, vineyards were planted along the river, as well as plantings of wheat, potatoes and vegetables and raising of livestock.

Since the VOC was weakening by the Early 19th Century (not bankrupted like IOTL, but definitely not the powerhouse it was in the 1600s and Early 1700s), the New Holland colony was founded as a separate charter, called the Nieuw Holland Nederzetting Bedrijf (please suggest something better if you’re Dutch and reading this, the name I came up with was from Google Translate), or the NHNB for short. In their charter were the aims of recruiting European settlers (although prioritizing Dutch, German and Scandinavians), exploring the interior, finding resources, ensuring profitability and securing Dutch claims to the western half of Terra Australis, with the border with British Australia being set at the 135th Longitude East.

With limited fertile land along the coast, which was mainly just a sandy plain, the Dutch began to do what they do best: clear marshland. Much of the area around the Black Swan River were wetlands, which settlers began to clear soon after arrival, much to the chagrin of the locals, to which the Dutch responded with something along the lines of “this is our land now, bugger off” (after all, this is 19th Century European colonialism).

On the contrary, some colonists decided that clearing marshland was too much work, and that they wanted to go off into the vast unknown, so it didn’t take too long for exploration parties to be dispatched. The first expeditions to cross the hills to the east of the colony followed along the various rivers and streams crossing the hills, finding a vast shrubland that the Dutch named De Struiken, or The Shrublands (once again, I don’t speak Dutch, so I got it off of Google Translate). A return party founded the town of Duidgje, the first Dutch settlement west of the hills. While the soil wasn’t very fertile, farmers did figure out how to grow crops, as well as grazing sheep and cattle, clearing the scrublands and using the wood for housing and fuel. Meanwhile, in order to secure the south coast, the Dutch founded the whaling station and naval base of Regensbaai. The mild climate of the region was quite favorable to the Dutch, and soon more settlements dotted the Southwest Coast of New Holland, such as Leeuwin, Vassestad, Leschenshaven and Peronstad. The first survey of the New Holland colony in 1840 showed the population to be 8,200, of which a 3,800 were around the Black Swan River in either Fort Vlamingh or New Utrecht, 1,000 in Regensbaai and the remained scattered about. In fact, let’s get to the survey now.

Keeping with the Dutch tradition of Religious tolerance, the colony even in this early stage had an eclectic mix of different faiths, with numerous Protestant sects, Catholics and even a small Jewish community being present among the colonists. The colony was also diverse ethnically, with only around 60% having origins from the Netherlands, with 25% being German and 15% from places such as Scandinavia, Britain, Ireland and Portugal. While the colony may have been in its infancy, the future sure looked promising for Nieuw Holland...

This young chap here is Louis-Charles de Bourbon, who was the son of Louis XVI. IOTL, he died in 1795, two years after his father was executed in the French Revolution (he had an older brother, but he died of an illness just before the French Revolution broke out). However, ITTL, the French Revolution doesn't happen, so both his father and him live on. Louis XVI was 38 when he died, so I'd give him another 30 years or so, considering that he was a king, but before modern medicine, which means he dies sometime in the Early-Mid 1820s. I'd assume that Louis-Charles (or Louis XVII once he became king) would marry young, as Louis XXI married Marie Antoinette at 16, which since Louis-Charles was born in 1785, would mean he'd marry sometime between 1800 and 1805. Now, I have absolutely ZERO knowledge on European dynastic politics at the Turn of the 19th Century, so I'll have to rely on you guys for who Louis-Charles might marry.
The whole point of this ramble is, any ideas for who Louis-Charles/Louis XVII marries, and how can I deal with the MASSIVE butterflies of Louis XVI's bloodline continuing?