Part 111: The Great Balkan War
Part 111: The Great Balkan War
Heading into 1943, the Balkans had once again erupted into war, as the Ottomans (plus Albania) fought off a coalition of vengeance-seeking nations who’d lost to them just a few decades prior. The Greeks, Bulgarians, Illyrians and Dacians were all looking to reclaim lost territory, while the Armenians decided to roll the dice and join in too. Looking at this from an observer’s perspective, this looked to be a fair fight, maybe even favoring The Ottomans. However, wars don’t always go the way you’d expect them to, and that was definitely the case in this conflict, because for the Ottomans, this war was a complete failure.
Now, I know I just did an update about the revitalization of the empire after their victory in the Second Global War, but that’s not to say that the Ottomans didn’t have any problems. For one, they had Greek, Bulgarian, Dacian and Armenian minorities within their countries that all hated being under the boot of the Turk, and would no doubt rebel and side with their people’s respective countries (the opposite was true as well, as there was a sizeable Turkish or Muslim population in much of the Balkans). In addition, there were entire regions of the empire with very few ethnic Turks, instead being populated by Arabs and/or Kurds. While most of the Arabs (outside of Lebanon, where it was split between Christians and Muslims) and nearly all of the Kurds were Sunni Muslims, Southern Mesopotamia had a Arabic-speaking Shia Muslim majority, and they weren’t exactly thrilled about Sunni Turks controlling their oil.
So, the war began. Both sides of the war were midway through the process of industrializing, so they were both on the same technological and equipmental level. Many of the officers and generals from the Second Global War were still active (although getting quite old, considering that the war was over 25 years ago by this point), so both sides had experienced leaders. Finally, due to the lingering war weariness, none of the other European powers got involved in the war. This was really a fair fight, but here’s how things went wrong for The Ottomans.
The war began with the Greeks, Bulgarians and Dacians attacking into the Ottoman territory in Mainland Europe, while the Illyrians (and a minority of Greek and Bulgarian troops) pushed into the already surrounded Albania, completely occupying the country by the end of 1943, although Albanian guerillas continued to fight on in the backcountry, harassing Balkan League troops (in retrospect, Albania joining the war was a really bad idea). Meanwhile, the Ottoman and Greek navies clashed in the Aegean, while Ottoman and Bulgarian/Dacian navies duked it out in the Black Sea.
Where things really got messy, however, was in the civilian sphere. Because both the Balkans and Anatolia were so ethnically mixed, there were minorities on both sides that were caught on the wrong side. Needless to say, it did not end well. For example, the Aegean coast of Anatolia still had a large Greek population, particularly around Izmir/Smyrna. Well, the Turkish citizens of the region went out of their way to harass and oftentimes attack their Greek neighbors, going as far as pogroms at times. On the flipside, Turks and other Muslims in Bulgaria and Greece were subject to abuses and violations as well at the hands of Bulgars or Greeks, going as far as physical attacks and even anti-Turkish/Muslim riots.
Another reason the Ottomans lost was because of shrewd diplomacy and deal-making on the part of the Balkan League. For example, they promised the Kurds and Arabs independent states if they revolted, which they did once the Ottomans started losing badly. The Greek-majority islands in the Aegean that were under Ottoman Rule rebelled and came under the control of the Greeks once more, as was the case in Cyprus. Meanwhile, The Ottomans were both facing advancing Balkan League forces and internal rebellions, while having to deal with waves of Turkish and other Balkan Muslim refugees fleeing persecution in their home countries (while Greeks and other Christians left the Ottoman Empire en masse for the same reason). This was all overwhelming for the empire, and as the Balkan League closed in on Constantinople in Late 1945, the Ottomans threw up the white flag and called it a day.

I would think someone is gonna take Constantinople and Thrace
Greece, Bulgaria and Dacia are at the very least going to reacquire their pre Second Global War territories (which includes Western Thrace), but I can definitively say that the Greeks will not be taking Constantinople. I have, however, toyed with Constantinople being a city-state stretching both sides of the Bosporus, with the Ottomans being kicked out of Europe and their European territory being divided between Greece, Bulgaria, Dacia and possibly a European Turkish state.

Greece, Bulgaria and Dacia are at the very least going to reacquire their pre Second Global War territories (which includes Western Thrace), but I can definitively say that the Greeks will not be taking Constantinople. I have, however, toyed with Constantinople being a city-state stretching both sides of the Bosporus, with the Ottomans being kicked out of Europe and their European territory being divided between Greece, Bulgaria, Dacia and possibly a European Turkish state.
What about the Greek speaking coastal area

What about the Greek speaking coastal area
Greek speaking coastal area in Anatolia? That's too big of a bite for the Greeks to take, and thus I expect Anatolian Greeks to be relocated into Greece proper, with European Turks taking their place in Anatolia. Essentially the same thing that happened IOTL.

So, here is my preliminary plan for the Treaty of Constantinople:
  • All pre-SGW (Second Global War) territories are returned from the Ottomans to Greece, Bulgaria and Dacia.
  • Greece and Bulgaria split Eastern Thrace.
  • However, the Greeks do NOT take Constantinople, which becomes an independent city-state stretching both sides of the Bosporus.
  • A Turkish state (likely called Rumelia) is split off between Bulgaria and Dacia in order to provide a homeland for European Turks.
  • Armenia gains a swath of land around Lake Van.
  • Kurdistan and Iraq become independent countries.
How does that sound? Is it too harsh, too light or just right? I'd love to see your suggestions.

Part 112: Treaty of Constantinople
Part 112: Treaty of Constantinople
After three years of war, the Balkans were finally at peace again, and it was officially time to draft a peace treaty. The two sides agreed to meet in the culturally and historically significant city of Constantinople, the capital of the Ottoman Empire and the city Greek nationalists had wet dreams over reconquering. The victorious Balkan League obviously had the upper hand in negotiations, but in order to keep the negotiations from becoming a Balkan League wishlist, the Ottomans convinced the Balkan League to allow diplomats from various European countries to serve as mediators. With the negotiations set up, it was time for the diplomats to get to diplomatizing.
The Balkan League proposal went as such: The Ottomans were to be completely kicked out of Europe, with Dacia, Bulgaria and Greece splitting up their territories. Notably, Greece would reconquer Constantinople, with some Greeks even advocating the formation of a new Byzantine Empire. Greece were also to reacquire their pre-SGW islands in the Mediterranean, such as Cyprus. Armenia would gain a lot of territory in Eastern Anatolia and new independent states such as Kuridstan and Iraq would be formed south of Anatolia. In addition, Albania would be significantly reduced in size, with the Greeks, Illyrians and Bulgarians chipping away at their outer territories.
Really, this proposal served as the aforementioned Balkan League wishlist/wet dream, and there was no way they were going to get everything. What the Ottomans especially objected to was the Greek seizure of Constantinople, to which they basically said “not a chance in hell”. The Ottomans also objected to the Greek seizure of the Aegean coast of Anatolia and to the complete eviction of the Turks from Europe, with not even a European Turkish state being formed. The Ottomans, knowing they’d lost the war, offered to return the land they’d taken in the Second Global War, hoping that would satiate the Balkan League’s land lust. Still, the Balkan League were looking for more than just a reset to 1910, so they still demanded more.
In the end, here is how the treaty wound up:

• All Ottoman territory acquired after the Second Global War will be returned to their previous owners.
  • Eastern Thrace will be partitioned between Greece in the south and Bulgaria in the north.
  • Constantinople will become an independent city-state spanning both sides of the Bosporus Strait. The Ottoman Empire will relocate its capital to Bursa.
  • Bulgaria will annex Northern Thrace, while the majority Turkish land along the Black Sea coast will become the new independent Turkish state of Rumelia, with its capital in Varna.
  • Armenia will annex the region around Lake Van.
  • Kurdistan and Iraq will become independent countries.
  • The Bosporus Strait, Sea of Marmara and Dardanelles Strait shall be accessible to both Balkan League and Ottoman ships.
  • Greece will reacquire Corfu from Albania.
  • Illyria and Bulgaria will gain their disputed territories from Albania.
The treaty was ratified in May of 1946, and yet another round of wars in Southeastern Europe was over. I’m sorry that I’ve not been posting a lot lately, I’ve been playing a lot of Minecraft as of late, so I’ll try to get some more stuff (such as an updated map) out soon, and until then, have a nice day.

Post Great Balkan War Maps
Europe After Great Balkan War.png

ECFC Middle East After Great Balkan War.png

Something I've been pondering after the last two updates is the fate of ethnic minorities in both the Balkan League countries (Greece, Bulgaria and Dacia, plus Armenia) and in the Ottoman Empire. I never included anything about the status of those populations (Turks in the Balkan League, Balkan League ethnic groups in the Ottoman Empire and Rumelia). Would there be some sort of population transfer (as happened IOTL during the 1920s), some sort of voluntary mass migration or would the minorities stick it out, likely as second class citizens?

On another note, I have a good idea for what Richelieu (the largest city in La Floride, OTL's Charleston, SC) will look by the present day.
Buenos Aires: Evita, Tango And Pope's Hometown - Fifty Plus Life

Study Abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina | Pacific University

Any guesses as to what city this is IOTL (it shouldn't be too difficult).

Wait are the top ten largest cities LA Florida, if you know.
I haven't really thought about that, but the three surefire picks would be:
  1. Richelieu (Charleston, SC). It's the historic colonial port city, located on the best natural harbor on the Floridian Atlantic coast, and the main entrepôt for both goods and people coming in and out by ship. Even after it ceases to be the colonial (and later national) capital, it'll still hold the #1 spot indefinitely.
  2. Nouvelle-Orléans (take a wild guess what city that is): At the mouth of the Mississippi River, 'nuff said (although being surrounded by swamp will hamper it's growth a bit).
  3. Villeroyale (Montgomery, AL). Built by the colonial government during the Mid 19th Century in order to serve as the new colonial capital, a status it inherits after independence. With all the main national government institutions being centered here and room to grow everywhere, it'll be up there in terms of population.

Yeah, I wonder, would Atlanta even develop? Some big city around Texas oil area plus oil port? Like Dallas and Galveston or Orange? Miami as tourist center, Tampa too...