Shoot, I forgot. So that means the Holy Roman Empire is still around, that complicates Austria and Prussia's relationship.
I'm no expert on the HRE, other than that it was a convoluted mess and that it was already in decline by OTL's Napoleonic Wars IIRC.

I'm no expert on the HRE, other than that it was a convoluted mess and that it was already in decline by OTL's Napoleonic Wars IIRC.

Oh, it was a convoluted mess alright. By the time it ceased to exist it was really nothing more than a relic of a bygone age. The one advantage to keeping it around was the title Holy Roman Emperor, which the Hapsburg had a monopoly on. Francis II was worried that the Holy Roman Empire would be dissolved and so he had himself crowned Emperor of Austria, because if the HRE was dissolved he'd just simply be King of Hungary, Croatia and Bohemia, and Archduke of Austria. Quite a dip in prestige.

Austria and Prussia had friction because they were the two most powerful members of the HRE, and despite being in the HRE had significant lands outside of it. Without a Napoleonic War, the HRE is probably still banging around the Hapsburg's are still "in charge". This is going to greatly effect German Nationalism moving forward.

Oh, it was a convoluted mess alright. By the time it ceased to exist it was really nothing more than a relic of a bygone age. The one advantage to keeping it around was the title Holy Roman Emperor, which the Hapsburg had a monopoly on. Francis II was worried that the Holy Roman Empire would be dissolved and so he had himself crowned Emperor of Austria, because if the HRE was dissolved he'd just simply be King of Hungary, Croatia and Bohemia, and Archduke of Austria. Quite a dip in prestige.

Austria and Prussia had friction because they were the two most powerful members of the HRE, and despite being in the HRE had significant lands outside of it. Without a Napoleonic War, the HRE is probably still banging around the Hapsburg's are still "in charge". This is going to greatly effect German Nationalism moving forward.
I can see Prussia billing itself as some sort of German Empire in order to stir up German nationalism and spite their Austrian rivals. However, the poll I held on Germany dictated that there would be more than two countries in the German-speaking world, so I can see an independent Bavaria and Rhineland/Westphalia.

I can see Prussia billing itself as some sort of German Empire in order to stir up German nationalism and spite their Austrian rivals. However, the poll I held on Germany dictated that there would be more than two countries in the German-speaking world, so I can see an independent Bavaria and Rhineland/Westphalia.

You could have an ultra-royalist Prussia and Austria along with a sort of Confederacy of The Rhine or German Confederation stand in. Basically these two states dominate the German speaking world so all the other motley crew of kingdoms, arch-duchys, duchys, et al. Band together in what starts as a mutual defense league to counteract the "big twos" influence. Maybe it eventually transforms into a United States of Germany.

Part 34: The Famine
Part 34: The Famine

Ireland had long been under the thumb of their larger neighbors across the Irish Sea, with Ireland falling fully under Anglo rule since the 17th Century. By the Mid 19th Century, there was a clear distinction between the Anglo-Irish elite who owned most of the land, and the Irish Catholic majority that was pushed onto smaller and smaller plots of land, leading to dependence on the potato, the only crop that could feed a family on such small plots of land. Dependency on one crop just to barely get by is not a good recipe in the case that something goes wrong, and boy did it go wrong in the Mid 1840s…

There had been numerous potato failures in Ireland in the decades leading up to the big one, and the scattershot reliability of the potato was widely known on the island by the 1840s. In 1847 (two years later than OTL, I’ve got to change the dates just a little bit), a severe blight was being reported across Ireland, likely originating on ships coming from America. While other areas of Europe were affected by the blight (which would lead to some certain events in the following decade), nowhere was hit harder than the Emerald Isle (although parts of the Scottish Highlands came close). Between 1847 and 1852, the population of Ireland decreased from 8.5 Million to 6.8 Million, a decline of 20%, with 900,000 Irish starving and 800,000 fleeing to greener pastures, largely to the Commonwealth of America and Britain itself, with smaller amounts going to Australia, La Floride, Patagonia and Continental Europe.

Conditions on the several week voyage to the New World were decrepit, not much better than that of slave ships, garnering the name of “coffin ships”. In fact, the mortality rate on the coffin ships could reach as high as 30% at times. The Irish arrived dead broke, starving and sick, often settling in the city their ship arrived in (most commonly New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Saint John and Kirkeston), taking the lowliest jobs and being relegated to the poorest and dirtiest parts of the city. Anti-Irish and Anti-Catholic prejudice was rampant among the staunchly Protestant Anglo-Americans, something that would not go away until the 20th Century. Some Irishmen, turned off by the prejudice of the Anglo-Americans, chose to go further south to the fellow Catholic domain of La Floride, where the reception was significantly warmer (as was the weather, too warm in fact, as the last thing that destitute refugees from a cool, windswept isle needed were frequent outbreaks of Malaria and Yellow Fever), proving to be the single greatest wave of migration to La Floride up to that point.

Even further away, Irishmen also migrated to Australia, Patagonia and Natal, having a great impact on the cultures of those regions (especially Patagonia, which is known to the present day for it’s Gaelic-influenced culture and dialect), as well as simply moving across the Irish Sea to work in British factories, particularly in the North of England. The Emigration from Ireland would not stop with the end of the famine in 1853, but would continue for the remainder of the 19th Century, with nearly half of everyone born in Ireland during the latter half of the 19th Century going on to emigrate, almost becoming a rite of passage. The Irish diaspora that began to form during the famine would go on to have a massive impact on the development of countries all around the world, all coming from one small Emerald Isle…

How many Irish went to La floride. And where do they settle and what's their role in society and what other immigrants groups will arrive.
The number of Irish that went to La Floride will be mentioned in the next update. Most arrive in Richelieu (OTL Charleston), which is the main port of entry for both European Immigrants and African Slaves (at least up until La Floride abolishes the Transatlantic Slave Trade). The Irish are initially concentrated in Richelieu, but eventually spread out across the Atlantic Seaboard.
As for future immigrant groups to La Floride, expect a steady stream of French immigrants and a surge of Italian immigration in the Late 19th and Early 20th century (think OTL Argentina or Brazil), but that's a topic for another day.

BRYgi9G.gif

European settlement of North America as of 1850.

With such a disparity in European and American geopolitics between OTL and TTL, many of the economic panics of OTL (or parallels to these panics) may never occur, while we may have entirely different economic crashes ITTL. The reason that this is important to the timeline is because economic conditions were often a reason for waves of immigration. It is hard to determine the amount of immigrants to the new world when the economic conditions across Europe could diverge so much from OTL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_economic_crises