England returns to Catholicism

Xen

Banned
Is there anyway possible to return the United Kingdom to Catholicism say sometime in the 19th-20th centuries? Basically re-unite the Angilican church with the Catholic church.

I have a feeling we discussed this once, but I cant seem to find it.

MrP

Banned
In the 19th-20th centuries? You'd have to fiddle a POD much earlier, I think. Catholics don't even get the vote till about the middle of the 19th century. If you think things are even normal nowadays, have a look at some of the things in The Daily Telegraph (and probably other newspapers) on the death of Pope John Paull II lately. Because so much space was devoted to the earthly leader of Roman catholics there were several letters complaining. I believe one even said, "I didn't know this was a Papist country!" My brother and I've been throwing that back and forth this past week to our hilarity. Another complained that if he wanted to hear about Catholic events he'd buy The Catholic Herald.

My Dad's got no time for Catholicism, in a jovial way, of course. He's often taken the mickey out of it for being too constricting, controlling and unwilling to change. In recent years Catholicism's become more accepted, probably because most people either a) can't tell different denominations of Christianity apart, or b) there's been a greater influx of other religions, c) Catholics are more mainstream and less Catholic (Yeah, sounds odd, but true). Islam's now the fastest growing religion in the UK, according to a report a year or two back (could've changed by now). But even today there's an actual legal prohibition against the heir to the throne wedding a Catholic. The Opposition Leader wants it removed, but it's lasted till 2005 already. That says something about its durability and levels of Catholic appreciation. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I've never experienced any harrassment for my faith, but I feel that to turn the nation Catholic you might need to go back and kill off James II! The island nation's always been isolationist, and the Church of England's another symptom of this.

The Act of Settlement in 1707(?) debarrs all Catholics and those who marry Catholics from succession (Prince Michael of Kent). There is no bar on royals marrying Muslims or Buddhists though.

horticultureandmelodrama said:
The Act of Settlement in 1707(?) debarrs all Catholics and those who marry Catholics from succession (Prince Michael of Kent). There is no bar on royals marrying Muslims or Buddhists though.

Well, Hindus or Muslims never posed any real political threat. But if parliament could be prevailed upon to repeal this law, it might put 2005 up there with 1952 (repeal of the Witchcraft Acts).

Hell, I think labour should do it just to piss off the UKIP, BNP and Ulster Unionists. Having loudmouthed, oafish, thuggish opponents helps in elections.

There's a good AH book by Fr. Robert Hugh Benson "The Dawn of All" which describes an England that has returned to Catholicism. I think it's reprinted by Lepanto Press.

Carpo