Empress Isabella Clara Eugenia and her world

Ernest and Isabella’s children
As usual work-in-progress tree, I will add later some info about events

Ernest I of Austria, Holy Roman Emperor (b.1553) married Isabella Clara Eugenia of Austria-Spain (b. 1566) in 1584
  1. Maximilian III, Holy Roman Emperor (b. 1585) married Magdalene of Bavaria (b. 1587) in 1603
  2. Archduchess Isabella (b. 1586) married John Wilhem, Duke of Jülich-Cleves-Berg (b. 1562) in 1602*
  3. Ferdinand I, King of Poland and Hungary (b. 1587) married Constance of Austria-Styria (b. 1588) ?
  4. Archduchess Maria (b. 1589) married Maximilian I, Duke of Bavaria (b. 1573) in 1605
  5. Archduke Philip (b.1590), Grandmaster of Teutonic Order
  6. Archduchess Anna (b. 1592) married ?
  7. Archduke Karl (b. 1594), Archduke of Further Austria
  8. Archduchess Magdalena (1596-1608)
  9. Archduke Ernest (b. 1598), Cardinal
  10. Archduchess Eleanor (b. 1601) married Charles I, King of England (b. 1600)

NOTES: Jakobea of Baden here died in 1600

Last edited:
An historical contest
Ernest was named Governor and heir of the Spanish Netherlands by his uncle Philip II of Spain in 1576 (instead of don Juan of Austria becoming Governor) and - being a) able to count on Austrian troops other than the Spanish ones and b) had more independence from Madrid and was able to make promises for the future after Philip - was able to pacify the whole Netherlands, preventing the birth of the OTL Dutch Republic. Philip was not exactly happy about a lot of Ernest’s promises but had already more-or-less gifted the Netherlands to his nephew - with the only conditions to choose Ernest’s bride and who Netherlands would go back to Spain if Ernest’s line ended - and in the end he must recognize who the methods of Ernest (and of Alessandro Farnese, who Philip had sent there as military commander) were pretty effective.
Philip had taken long time before offering any bride to Ernest, until he offered his own eldest daughter, infanta Isabella Clara Eugenia, as bride in 1583. The 17 years old infanta was formerly engaged - until few days before being offered to Ernest - to his older brother, Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II. As Rudolf was delaying the wedding to Isabella, he and Philip had a fight over it and in the end Philip decided who Archduchess and future Duchess of Burgundy now was better than maybe Holy Roman Empress sometime in future so he broken the engagement of his daughter to Rudolf and offered her to Ernest, who happily married her.
As Rudolf never married and Ernest became Emperor after his death in 1612, Philip’s decision in the end was the best one and if the King of Spain had died almost fifteen years before Rudolf, the unmarried state of the latter had always made Philip quite hopeful in a future succession of his grandson as Holy Roman Emperor.

Considering who none of Ernest‘s surviving brothers (mad Emperor Rudolf was unmarried, Archduke of Further Austria Matthias had no child by his wife Anna of Tyrol (another former fiancé of Rudolf the Mad), and the other three were unmarried for their ecclesiastical status: King Maximilian I of Poland, Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order; Cardinal Albert, Viceroy of Portugal; Archduke Wenceslaus, Grand Prior of the Order of Malta in Castile who died at only 17 years old) had children we can say who Philip’s decision to marry Isabella to Ernest saved the main line of the Austrian Habsburg and likely the whole Holy Roman Empire as the man who would have ruled Austria if the male line of Maximilian II and Maria was extinct was the ultra Catholic Ferdinand, Archduke of Inner Austria, whose religious positions had made him a lot of enemies among the Protestants who instead had a quite good relations with the Catholics but moderate Emperors Ernest I and Maximilian III and with King Ferdinand of Poland and Hungary.

As Ernest‘s brother, King Maximilian I of Poland, had opted to keep his ecclesiastic status and role as Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order after his election in Poland, Ernest started to suggest pretty early his second son Ferdinand as potential successor for Maximilian in Poland and after securing his election as future King of Poland had Ferdinand also elected as his own successor in Hungary, with his eldest son Maximilian elected as King of the Romans - title of the elected successor of Holy Roman Emperor - and as future King of Bohemia.

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
Ernest was named Governor and heir of the Spanish Netherlands by his uncle Philip II of Spain in 1576 (instead of don Juan of Austria becoming Governor) and - being a) able to count on Austrian troops other than the Spanish ones and b) had more independence from Madrid and was able to make promises for the future after Philip - was able to pacify the whole Netherlands, preventing the birth of the OTL Dutch Republic. Philip was not exactly happy about a lot of Ernest’s promises but had already more-or-less gifted the Netherlands to his nephew - with the only conditions to choose Ernest’s bride and who Netherlands would go back to Spain if Ernest’s line ended - and in the end he must recognize who the methods of Ernest (and of Alessandro Farnese, who Philip had sent there as military commander) were pretty effective.
Philip had taken long time before offering any bride to Ernest, until he offered his own eldest daughter, infanta Isabella Clara Eugenia, as bride in 1583. The 17 years old infanta was formerly engaged - until few days before being offered to Ernest - to his older brother, Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II. As Rudolf was delaying the wedding to Isabella, he and Philip had a fight over it and in the end Philip decided who Archduchess and future Duchess of Burgundy now was better than maybe Holy Roman Empress sometime in future so he broken the engagement of his daughter to Rudolf and offered her to Ernest, who happily married her.
As Rudolf never married and Ernest became Emperor after his death in 1612, Philip’s decision in the end was the best one and if the King of Spain had died almost fifteen years before Rudolf, the unmarried state of the latter had always made Philip quite hopeful in a future succession of his grandson as Holy Roman Emperor.

Considering who none of Ernest‘s surviving brothers (mad Emperor Rudolf was unmarried, Archduke of Further Austria Matthias had no child by his wife Anna of Tyrol (another former fiancé of Rudolf the Mad), and the other three were unmarried for their ecclesiastical status: King Maximilian I of Poland, Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order; Cardinal Albert, Viceroy of Portugal; Archduke Wenceslaus, Grand Prior of the Order of Malta in Castile who died at only 17 years old) had children we can say who Philip’s decision to marry Isabella to Ernest saved the main line of the Austrian Habsburg and likely the whole Holy Roman Empire as the man who would have ruled Austria if the male line of Maximilian II and Maria was extinct was the ultra Catholic Ferdinand, Archduke of Inner Austria, whose religious positions had made him a lot of enemies among the Protestants who instead had a quite good relations with the Catholics but moderate Emperors Ernest I and Maximilian III and with King Ferdinand of Poland and Hungary.

As Ernest‘s brother, King Maximilian I of Poland, had opted to keep his ecclesiastic status and role as Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order after his election in Poland, Ernest started to suggest pretty early his second son Ferdinand as potential successor for Maximilian in Poland and after securing his election as future King of Poland had Ferdinand also elected as his own successor in Hungary, with his eldest son Maximilian elected as King of the Romans - title of the elected successor of Holy Roman Emperor - and as future King of Bohemia.
Why the decision to split Bohemia from Hungary here?

Why the decision to split Bohemia from Hungary here?
Because a split somewhere was needed as keep together two of the lands was pretty much complicated. As that lands were Burgundy/Netherlands and Hungary and he already wanted securing the crown of Poland for his second son, the choice for Ernest was pretty easy: keep Burgundy and with it a big focus on Germany, commerce, Atlantic navigation and colonies for the eldest branch and hoping who the younger branch would be able to create a strong kingdom with Poland and Hungary. Naturally here with Archduke Maximilian (also GrandMaster of the Teutonic Order) and Archduke Ferdinand on the Polish throne, the Elector of Brandenburg will NOT inherit Prussia, who will go back to the King of Poland (and then given again as Polish fief to one of the sons of Ferdinand, possibly becoming the title/seat of the heir)

Last edited:
Interesting premise.
Do the Habsburgs take the opportunity to meddle in France TTL?
@Vitruvius
Considering who Empress Isabella would be the rightful heiress of Brittany and since Henry IV and his heirs are not descendants of the Dukes of Brittany, what you think the Habsburg will do?
France‘s biggest share of hate here would be for the Austrian Habsburg, with the Spanish one as distant second... after them the Dukes of Savoy, the Dukes of Lorraine and the English kings...
You would have think to see this kind of butterflies? All small, all plausible but their effect... 😈😈😈

If Maximilian decides to remain unmarried it would without doubt be unpopular decision, and such unpopular decision makes future of Habsburgs on Polish throne very uncertain. I see nobles yelling, that they don't want another "Habsburg monk" on the throne.

If Maximilian decides to remain unmarried it would without doubt be unpopular decision, and such unpopular decision makes future of Habsburgs on Polish throne very uncertain. I see nobles yelling, that they don't want another "Habsburg monk" on the throne.
Polish nobles were NOT too much upset by Maximilian‘s remaining a monk as that gave them no commitment for the future. Also Max’s position as head of the Teutonic Order was part of the reason for which his religious status was tolerated in Poland (I will leave to you how reading the situation) and nobody would have called young Ferdinand as “another Habsburg monk” as he was already engaged (if not married) at the time of his election and designated (but not yet elected) as heir of Hungary...

There's a lot of variables in there but assuming that things in France track OTL at least to the extent that Henry of Navarre gains the French throne it seems like the obvious solution would be for him to marry a daughter of Ernest and Isabella Clara Eugenia. As a compromise peace she could even be recognized as Duchess of Brittany. So de jure the rights to Brittany passed through Isabella Clara Eugenia but it acknowledges that the French maintain control.

I'd think Ernest would be sensible enough to realize he's not going to be able to claim France for his wife and so limit his aspirations to strengthening the Catholic faith and maybe acquiring the French held Bishoprics of Metz Toul and Verdun. This also impacts Lorraine. Ernest might be able to force Henry II of Lorraine into a marriage with an Archduchess rather than his OTL marriage to Henry IV's sister.

There's a lot of variables in there but assuming that things in France track OTL at least to the extent that Henry of Navarre gains the French throne it seems like the obvious solution would be for him to marry a daughter of Ernest and Isabella Clara Eugenia. As a compromise peace she could even be recognized as Duchess of Brittany. So de jure the rights to Brittany passed through Isabella Clara Eugenia but it acknowledges that the French maintain control.

I'd think Ernest would be sensible enough to realize he's not going to be able to claim France for his wife and so limit his aspirations to strengthening the Catholic faith and maybe acquiring the French held Bishoprics of Metz Toul and Verdun. This also impacts Lorraine. Ernest might be able to force Henry II of Lorraine into a marriage with an Archduchess rather than his OTL marriage to Henry IV's sister.
Ernest will not claim France here for Isabella, but only Brittany (with the intention of exchanging it with something else). Henry II of Lorraine will marry a longer living Archduchess Eleanor (Ernest’s youngest sister) in 1586 and, being without sons at her death in 1601, he remarried to Archduchess Isabella, Ernest’s eldest daughter (with her mother’s rights on Brittany as part of the dowry).
I think who the War of the Three Henrys will go differently (likely lasting longer) here as Henry, Duke of Guise will NOT be killed as OTL and his son will marry Catherine of Lorraine

I hope the Duke of Lorraine gets a better marriage too. This is the best chance to keep his Duchy from falling into French orbit and being slowly absorbed by his bigger neighbor.

Catherine of Lorraine may be tricky though. OTL she refused marriage to Ferdinand of Inner Austria (eventually Emperor Ferdinand II) because of her extreme piety she preferred a religious vocation. Her sister Antonia is probably more likely.

I hope the Duke of Lorraine gets a better marriage too. This is the best chance to keep his Duchy from falling into French orbit and being slowly absorbed by his bigger neighbor.

Catherine of Lorraine may be tricky though. OTL she refused marriage to Ferdinand of Inner Austria (eventually Emperor Ferdinand II) because of her extreme piety she preferred a religious vocation. Her sister Antonia is probably more likely.
Then Charles of Guise will marry either Antonia or more likely their younger sister Elisabeth.
Well, Henry of Lorraine will not have any surviving son from his first wedding but he will have sons from Isabella of Burgundy. I have one question: what lands Henry IV will be forced to give to Henry II of Lorraine in exchange of Brittany?

Naturally here with Archduke Maximilian (also GrandMaster of the Teutonic Order) and Archduke Ferdinand on the Polish throne, the Elector of Brandenburg will NOT inherit Prussia...
Prussia had been secularized under a Hohenzollern (though not of the Brandenburg line) in the 1520. The Teutonic Order ceased to exist in Prussia at that time. The future fate of Prussia is up for grabs.

The PoD is 1576? Then Albert Frederick, the next Duke of Prussia, who in OTL went mad and left Prussia to his Brandenburg in-laws as regents and then heir, is already gone mad, and his eldest daughter (whose husband eventually succeeded) is born.

However, OTL Albert Frederick had five additional daughters who lived, and two short-lived sons. Butterflies are likely to give him a male heir, which would pre-empt both the Brandenburg succession and reversion to Poland.

In any case, would the Lutherans of Prussia accept a Catholic Habsburg Duke?

Prussia had been secularized under a Hohenzollern (though not of the Brandenburg line) in the 1520. The Teutonic Order ceased to exist in Prussia at that time. The future fate of Prussia is up for grabs.

The PoD is 1576? Then Albert Frederick, the next Duke of Prussia, who in OTL went mad and left Prussia to his Brandenburg in-laws as regents and then heir, is already gone mad, and his eldest daughter (whose husband eventually succeeded) is born.

However, OTL Albert Frederick had five additional daughters who lived, and two short-lived sons. Butterflies are likely to give him a male heir, which would pre-empt both the Brandenburg succession and reversion to Poland.

In any case, would the Lutherans of Prussia accept a Catholic Habsburg Duke?
I was saying who at the death of the last male Hohenzollern Duke of Prussia, his relative and son-in-law, the Elector of Brandenburg, will not be allowed to inherit. And while butterflies can give Albert a male heir, is not guaranteed, abd as the two Habsburg Kings will NOT sign so reversion of Prussia to Poland is pretty likely with two Habsburg Kings here, who will be both firmly against an inheritance of Prussia by the Brandenburg branch (Max because the first Duke of Prussia is a great part of the reason for which he NEVER asked to be released by his vows, Ferdinand simply because he want Prussia back in his domains).

Prussian Lutherans will not be much happy of a Catholic ruler but Ferdinand, like his father and brother is a pretty tolerant ruler (the religious politics of both ATL main and polish branches of Habsburg is heavily promoting Catholicism and conversions, favoring Catholics but without discriminating against Protestants so in a couple of generations the protestants in their lands will be only a sizable minority satisfied enough to stay quiet (aka more worried about consequences of an eventual rebellion than unhappy with their actual status)

Last edited:
Lorraine is already partially a vassal of France via the Duchy of Bar, Barrois Mouvant to be exact.
And that would mean? For Henry IV of France would be imperative NOT giving Brittany to the Duke of Lorraine so he need to exchange Brittany with some other French lands closer to Lorraine

the County of Champagne?
I need a good map of France in that age with regions... The land involved in the exchange need to be quite big, close to the border of Lorraine AND valuable...

Edit: found an earlier map with good enough borders... pretty likely the exchange will be with parts of Champagne, if Burgundy and Franche Comté still belong to the Habsburgs (so to Ernest)

Last edited:
I need a good map of France in that age with regions... The land involved in the exchange need to be quite big, close to the border of Lorraine AND valuable...

Edit: found an earlier map with good enough borders... pretty likely the exchange will be with parts of Champagne, if Burgundy and Franche Comté still belong to the Habsburgs (so to Ernest)
Actually, Franche Comte are still with the Habsburgs, the Habsburgs can get back the Whole Duchy of Burgundy and all of the Burgundian possessions in this case.

The Teutonic Order claimed Prussia as theirs until the Congress of Vienna I kind of doubt that it's possible to be King of Poland and Grand- and German Master of the Order.