In other thread I've proposed this chainn of events:

What about this:
-Anna of Bohemia and Hungary dies giving birth to her first child (that child is Elizabeth of Austria, Siggy's OTL first wife, who also dies).
-Ferdinand Habsburg needs new wife with claims to Bohemian and Hungarian thrones, so he marries Anna's cousin, Hedwig of Poland, daughter of Sigismund I.

-So there is already Polish-Austrian match, another one is not only unnecessary-hypothetical daughters of Hedwig and Ferdinand would be Sigismund Augustus' nieces, (and would be too young). Uncle-niece marriages were still uncommon back then, and Jagiellons never married such close relatives.
-Mary Tudor is relative of Habsburgs, could Emperor Charles V suggest her, when Habsburg girls are not available? Only alternatives are Christina and Dorothea of Denmark-perhaps Sigismund doesn't want to complicate relations with Denmark with marriage of his son with daughter of deposed Danish King) and Maria of Viseu.
-For Jane or whoever is beloved wife of H8 and mum of his son(s) marriage of Mary Tudor in some 'far, far away' country means, that her future offspring would have little chance to ever claim the throne.

That was part of challenge to make Mary Tudor wife of Sigismund Augustus. But let's ignore English part and concentrate on the bolded part instead, maybe with little modification-Anna of Bohemia and Hungary dies from some illness before Elizabeth is conceived, in September 1525. Ferdinand in such situation marry her cousin, Hedwig Jagiellon (born 1513) to keep claims to Hungarian and Bohemian thrones. Marriage could happen around 1529 (Hedwig would be 16 yo). What does it mean?
-perhaps Bona's accident during hunting party in 1527, that resulted in death of her child and nearly killed her would be butterflied away? Question of Hedwig's marriage could make Sigismund too busy to play with Lithuanian bear. So we'd have one additional male Jagiellon.
-another wife for Sigismund Augustus is needed (Bona would be happy without Habsburg daughter-in-law), perhaps Ferdinand's niece instead of Ferdinand's daughter. Dorothea or Christina of Denmark? Healthier wife of Siggy means no secret marriage of Sigismund Augustus and Barbara Radziwił, so less troubles for King.
-other daughters of Sigismund I, as sisters of Queen of the Romans, future Empress, would be more desirable among European monarchs, especially HRE monarchs
-no way Sigismund the Old would let any of his daughters to marry Janos Zapolya. It would be really ridiculous-one sister married to King of Hungary while second is married to anti-King? Also fact, that Ferdinand would be married to Zapolya's niece would have interesting consequences. Zapolya's situation without Sigismund's support is overally worse.

Now my propositions of marriages ITTL-Sigismund I would like to marry his second Isabella to Elector of Brandenburg instead of Hedwig, but Bona would fiercely oppose, Isabella was her only daughter about she really cared and she disliked Hohenzollerns. Alos the fact, that her stepdaughter is queen while there is no king available for her own daughters would not make Bona happy. So
-for Sigismund Augustus-Dorothea/Christina of Denmark or Maria of Viseu
-for Isabella-Francis of Lorraine (OTL husband of Christina)
-for Sophia-Albert V, Duke of Bavaria
-for Anna-Charles Victor or Philip of Brunswick Wolfenbuttel (Catholic sons of Henry V of Brunswick, OTL husband of Sophia Jagiellon)
-for Catherine-John George, Elector of Brandenburg? This marriage would need to happen after death of Sigismund I, Siggy the old would not let his daughter to marry open Protestant. Sigismund Augustus would be more open for this idea. Alternatively-John Albert of Mecklenburg (born 1525), OTL considered by Sigismund Augustus for one of his sisters.
-for Sigismind I's additional son born in 1528 (IOTL he was named Olbracht (Albert) but, being prematurely born he was baptized in hurry, so there was no much time to decide about name, so could be named Casimir or Vladislaus instead, but let's call him Olbracht anyway) some Italian princess. He could be made heir of Bona's Italian duchiess of Bari and Rossano and then live in Kingdom of Naples as Italian Duke (Italian Jagiellons, sounds interesting...).

Hedwig Jagiellon (1513-1583)* m. 1529 Ferdinand Habsburg (1503-1564), King of Bohemia and Hungary 1526-1564, King of the Romans 1531-1564, Holy Roman Emperor 1558-1564.
Children:
1) Anna (1531-1588), m. William the Rich, Duke of Cleves
2) Maximilian II (1533-1571) Holy Roman Emperor 1564-1571, m. Maria of Spain
3) Elizabeth (1534-1538)
4) Catherine (1536-1569) m. Francis Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua
5) Ferdinand (1538-1554)
6) Charles (1540-1542)
7) Sigismund II (1541-1598) Holy Roman Emperor 1571-1598, m. Sophia of Bavaria (daughter of Sophia Jagiellon and Albert V of Bavaria).
8) Barbara (1543-1591) m. Alfonso d'Este, Duke of Ferrara
9) Hedwig (1545-1577) m. Francis de Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany.

*Not being crippled by accident in hunting lodge like IOTL Hedwig lives few years longer.

Last edited:
Zapolya would rather not be any more friendly towards Habsburgs, despite fact, that Ferdinand is now his nephew-in-law, also, with Zapolya likely dying childless ITTL, Hedwig would be his only heiress. Still, Sultan would not allow unification of Hungary by Ferdinand, he'll promote other magnate family (Bathory perhaps) as Dukes of Transylvania.

What about Isabella Jagiellon for the dauphin? Bona wanted her to wed the duke of Savoy's eldest son, but he died young. So, Isabella then marriese the dauphin, maybe has a son with him (sort of a expy of her OTL behaviour in Hungary) but then he dies. She rules as regent of France (same as she did with Hungary OTL), or marries the duke of Lorraine as a second husband because she and the dauphin were childless?
Must admit, I always did wonder why Sophia ended up married to the father when the sons were more of an age with her.

Bona wanted French marriages for her kids, but that plans were ruined by Pavia. Marriage of Hedwig and Ferdinand should bring Jagiellons closer to Habsburgs and cut off any help for Zapolya. And Sigismund the Old had a last word, not always the same as Bona. Although if Dauphin Francis (you meant him?) survives, sister of Queen of the Romans for him could be part of deal with Habsburgs, alternatively Isabella could marry youngest son of Francis I-Charles, and the two would be given Milan (like Karl V planned IOTL to create strong internal conflict between Henri and Charles).
And late OTL marriages of Sigismund's daughters were caused by family conflict about Sigismund Augustus' marriage to Barbara Radziwiłłówna. Sophia married Henry V, because his only surviving son, Julius, was Lutheran, when Henry wanted Catholic heir.

Although if Dauphin Francis (you meant him?) survives, sister of Queen of the Romans for him could be part of deal with Habsburgs

I did mean him, yes. But it would be fun if François predeceases his dad, only leaving an infant son with mom, Isabelle, as regent.

I did mean him, yes. But it would be fun if François predeceases his dad, only leaving an infant son with mom, Isabelle, as regent.
There is one problem there, that would cause Habsburgs to oppose this marriage-unlike Hedwig, Isabella had Sforza's blood and claims to Milan.

There is one problem there, that would cause Habsburgs to oppose this marriage-unlike Hedwig, Isabella had Sforza's blood and claims to Milan.

I'm not sure. The Habsburgs were willing to offer Kristina of Denmark (who was seen by several princes as the heir to her late husband's duchy of Milan) and the French were willing to consider it at one point.

I'm not sure. The Habsburgs were willing to offer Kristina of Denmark (who was seen by several princes as the heir to her late husband's duchy of Milan) and the French were willing to consider it at one point.
OK. So Isabella for François is possible. I still can't decide about Sigismund Augustus. Could Denmark make any problems over Christina being Polish Queen?

OK. So Isabella for François is possible. I still can't decide about Sigismund Augustus. Could Denmark make any problems over Christina being Polish Queen?

I doubt it. Her older sister is ahead of her, and in theory, any kids Dorothea has by her Palatine husband. So, they can kick up a fuss, but as long as Sigismund makes it clear that he's not claiming the Kalmar crowns on behalf of his wife, and he acknowledges Frederik I/Christian III/Frederik II as rightful king of Denmark, probably they'll let the matter slide. Besides, Sweden's Vasas are probably more threatening IMO. @Jürgen, @Zulfurium, @Behemoth et al, can you help out on this one?

Still I wonder if Maria of Viseu could marry Sigismund Augustus? Portugal is quite exotic place for Polish King to search for wife, but Maria had Habsburg mother and was raised in Vienna.

IOTL Eric XIV considered marriage with Renata of Lorraine, Christina's daughter, so her claims to Scandinavian thrones were still treated seriously, although unlike Eric, Siggy would not have any interest in pushing that claims.

Still I wonder if Maria of Viseu could marry Sigismund Augustus? Portugal is quite exotic place for Polish King to search for wife, but Maria had Habsburg mother and was raised in Vienna.

I was under the impression she stayed in Lisbon when mom left - she would be treaty bait for her Portuguese hafl-brother. And IIRC, Eleonore didn't see Maria again until she returned to Spain. And then they basically had nothing to say to each other because Maria was resentful of her mother's "abandonment".

I was under the impression she stayed in Lisbon when mom left - she would be treaty bait for her Portuguese hafl-brother. And IIRC, Eleonore didn't see Maria again until she returned to Spain. And then they basically had nothing to say to each other because Maria was resentful of her mother's "abandonment".
OK. So what about this:
-Sigismund Augustus and Christina
-Isabella and Dauphin Francis
-Sophia and Francis of Lorraine
-Anna and Albert of Bavaria
-Catherine and Charles Victor of Brunswick
-Olbracht (Alberto di Bari e Rossano) and Anna d'Este*

* Anna d'Este was proposed for Olbracht's Italian wife on Polish site in 'no Bona's horse fall' scenario, seems likely)

I doubt it. Her older sister is ahead of her, and in theory, any kids Dorothea has by her Palatine husband. So, they can kick up a fuss, but as long as Sigismund makes it clear that he's not claiming the Kalmar crowns on behalf of his wife, and he acknowledges Frederik I/Christian III/Frederik II as rightful king of Denmark, probably they'll let the matter slide. Besides, Sweden's Vasas are probably more threatening IMO. @Jürgen, @Zulfurium, @Behemoth et al, can you help out on this one?

I don't think that Christian III or his son would be able to do much under the circumstances. I also don't think it is really in Sigismund's personality to be particularly diplomatic towards them. This is prior to the Danes becoming the premier power in the Baltic - which they would then lose to the Swedes in the 17th century. The Vasa dynasty would by no means be the more threatening of the two, being seen as little more than usurping heretics by much of Catholic Europe.

A match between Sigismund August and Christina of Oldenburg would be quite interesting to see.

So much genealogy trees to make with all legitimate children of Sigismund I married differently, (perhaps @Kynan would take some of them?) Hedwig is done, now is time for her brothers:
Sigimsmund II Augustus and Christina of Denmark- descriptions of Christina says, that it could be very happy marriage. She enjoyed hunting parties (Jagiellons loved hunting, even a bit too much), intelligent, beautiful and, unlike Barbara Radziwiłł, of Royal birth. She was Duchess of Milan so propably she learned Italian? It would be great for Sigismund Augustus, who, like all Bona's children, was fluent Italian speaker. ITTL he could love her as much as he loved Barbara, so it could prevent him from having extra marital affairs (and decrease likehood of getting venereal diseases). So let's say they marry in 1541 and have one daughter, Hedwig (Jadwiga), born in 1543. Siggy suffers less stress ITTL and his reputation is not hurt by unequal marriage with daughter of Lithuanian magnate, so says he lives few years longer and dies in 1577.
Meanwhile his brother Albert (1528-1573) married in Italy in 1547 to Anna d'Este, daughter of Ercole, Duke of Ferrara. Their children are:
-Sigismund, born 1549, would marry his cousin Hedwig and succeede his uncle on Polish and Lithuanian thrones.
-Isabella, born 1551, married (as second wife) Francis Gonzaga of Mantua
-Anna, born and died 1553
-Albert, born 1556, would inherit Bari and Rossano.

Last edited:
Who would Zapolya marry (if at all) in this scenario? I once saw a TL (@DrakeRlugia's Prince of the Peace) where he married a daughter of the duke of Württemberg. OTL he was supposed to marry a Ansbach cousin of Vladislaus II, but IDK if she'd get to the altar here. My main question is why Zapolya waited so long to get married in the first place.

Zapolya tried to marry women, who were outside his reach, he didn't marry Margaret Hohenzollern, niece of Vladislaus II, because he wanted to marry his daughter Anna, who was promised to Ferdinand. After Mohacs he was too busy with fighting, and due to instability of his kingdom not seen as good candidate for marriage. Later, when Zapolya wanted to marry Isabella Jagiellon, Sigismund the Old refused him her hand for years, until Zapolya made peace with Habsburgs, he didn't want to send daughter to unstable country (unlike Bona, who only cared to satisfy her ambitions of making her daughter Queen).

So much genealogy trees to make with all legitimate children of Sigismund I married differently, (perhaps @Kynan would take some of them?) Hedwig is done, now is time for her brothers:
Sigimsmund II Augustus and Christina of Denmark- descriptions of Christina says, that it could be very happy marriage. She enjoyed hunting parties (Jagiellons loved hunting, even a bit too much), intelligent, beautiful and, unlike Barbara Radziwiłł, of Royal birth. She was Duchess of Milan so propably she learned Italian? It would be great for Sigismund Augustus, who, like all Bona's children, was fluent Italian speaker. ITTL he could love her as much as he loved Barbara, so it could prevent him from having extra marital affairs (and decrease likehood of getting venereal diseases). So let's say they marry in 1541 and have one daughter, Hedwig (Jadwiga), born in 1543. Siggy suffers less stress ITTL and his reputation is not hurt by unequal marriage with daughter of Lithuanian magnate, so says he lives few years longer and dies in 1577.
Meanwhile his brother Albert (1528-1573) married in Italy in 1547 to Anna d'Este, daughter of Ercole, Duke of Ferrara. Their children are:
-Sigismund, born 1549, would marry his cousin Hedwig and succeede his uncle on Polish and Lithuanian thrones.
-Isabella, born 1551, married (as second wife) Francis Gonzaga of Mantua
-Anna, born and died 1553
-Albert, born 1556, would inherit Bari and Rossano.

Please accept my humble offering. I'm not Kynan, but this was my attempt. I'm not sure if Sigismund II would be without issue entirely. Kristina managed six children in her short marriage to the duke of Lorraine (possibly two sets of twins). So, IMO, she and Siggie might manage more kids. But I'll see what you have to say about this first.

Zygmunt I, King of Poland [1506-1548], Grand Duke of Lithuania [1506-1544] (1467-1548) 1m: 1512 Barbara Zápolya (1495-1515); 2m: 1518 Bona Sforza (1495-1558)

1. [1m.] Jadwiga (1513-1573) m: 1529 Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor [1558-1564] (1503-1564)

a. Anna (1531-1588) m: 1546 Wilhelm, Duke of Jülich-Kleve-Berg (b.1516)

b. Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor [1564-1571] (1533-1571) m: 1548 Maria of Spain (1527-1603)

c. Elisabeth (1534-1538)

d. Katharina (1536-1569) m: 1550 Francesco III, Duke of Mantua (b.1533)

e. Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria (1538-1554)

f. Karl, Archduke of Austria (1540-1542)

g. Sigmund II, Holy Roman Emperor [1571-1598] (1541-1598) m: 1571 Sophie of Bavaria (b.1550)

h. Barbara (1543-1591) m: 1565 Alfonso II, Duke of Ferrara (b.1533)

i. Hedwig (1545-1577) m: 1565 Francesco I, Grand Duke of Tuscany (b.1541)

2. [1m.] Anna (1515-1520)

3. [2m.] Elźbieta/Izabella (1519-1557) m: 1535 François II, King of France (1519-1569)

a. Bonne (b.1536)

b. Louise (b.1537, d.1540)

c. Louis (b.1538, d.1540)

d. François III, King of France [1569-] (b.1540)

e. Sigismond (or some other maternal family name), Duc d’Anjou (b.1542)

f. Claude (b.1543) m: Jean III, Duke of Lorraine (son of François I of Lorraine and Anna of Kleves)

g. Jeanne (b.1545, d.1546)

h. Élisabeth/Isabelle (b.1546) m: Carlos, Prince of the Asturias (b.1545)

i. Philippe, Duc de Berri (b.1547)

j. Madeleine (b.1550)

k. Marguerite (b.1552)

4. [2m.] Zygmunt II August, King of Poland [1548-1577], Grand Duke of Lithuania [1544-1577] (1520-1577) m: 1541 Kristina of Denmark, Sweden & Norway (1521-1590)

a. ?

5. [2m.] Sofia (1522-1575) m: 1548 Emanuele Filiberto, Duke of Savoy (b.1528)

a. Beatrice (b.1554)

b. Stillborn Twin Sons (b.1556)

c. Carlo Emanuele, Hereditary Prince of Savoy (b.1559)

d. Filippo Sigismondo, Prince of Savoy (b.1561)

e. Isabella (b.1562)

f. Maddalena (b.1563)

6. [2m.] Anna (b.1523) m: 1546 Albrecht V, Duke of Bavaria (b.1528, d.1579)

a. Karl I/Sigmund II, Duke of Bavaria (b.1548)

b. Sophie (b.1550) m: Sigmund II, Holy Roman Emperor (1541-1598)

c. Kasimir (b.1554, d.1556)

d. Anna Maria (b.1558)

7. [2m.] Katarzyna (1526-1583) m: 1m: 1546 Karl Viktor, Erbprinz of Brunswick-Wölffenbüttel (1525-1553); 2m: 1556 Erich II, Duke of Brunswick-Kahlenberg (1528-1584) (never marries his wife Sidonie of Saxony)

a. [1m.] Heinrich Karl, Duke of Brunswick-Wölffenbüttel (b.1548)

b. [1m.] Elisabeth (b.1551, d.1558)

c. [1m.] Sigmund Heinrich (b.1552)

d. [1m.] Anna Maria (b.1554)

e. [2m.] Wilhelm, Erbprinz of Kahlenberg (b.1558)

f. [2m.] Katharina (b.1564)

8. [2m.] Jan Olbracht, Duke of Bari, Prince of Rossano [as Giovan’ Alberto] (b.1527) m: Anna d’Este (b.1531)

a. ?

9. François I, Duke of Lorraine (1517-1547) m: 1539 Anna of Kleves (b.1515)

a. Jean III, Duke of Lorraine (b.1541) m: Claude de France?

b. Renée (b.1543)

c. Antoine (b.1545, d.1550)

d. Dorothée [twin of Marie] (b.1546)

e. Marie [twin of Dorothée] (b.1546)

f. Charles (b.1547)

(I got lazy with some of the dates for the second generation kids and just went with the OTL ones)

Sigismund I, King of Poland (b.1467: d.1548) m. Barbara Zápolya (b.1495: d.1515) (a), Bona Sforza (b.1494: d.1557)

1a) Hedwig Jaigellon, Princess of Poland (b.1513: d.1583) m. Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor (b.1503: d.1564) (a)

1a) Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor (b.1528)

2a) Stillborn Son (c.1530)

3a) Charles, Archduke of Austria (b.1532)

4a) Maria, Archduchess of Austria (b.1533: d.1541)

5a) Sigismund, Archduke of Austria (b.1536)

6a) Sophia, Archduchess of Austria (b.1538)

7a) Elizabeth, Archduchess of Austria (b.1539)

8a) Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria (b.1540: d.1542)

9a) Barbara, Archduchess of Austria (b.1543)

10b) Catherine, Archduchess of Austria (b.1544: d.1545)

11b) Frederick, Archduke of Austria (b.1546)
2a) Anna Jaigellon, Princess of Poland (b.1515: d.1520)

3b) Isabella Jaigellon, Princess of Poland (b.1519: d.1559) m. Francis, Dauphin of France (b.1519: d.1536) (a)

1a) Francis II, King of France (b.1536)
4b) Sigismund II Augustus, King of Poland (b.1520: d.1572) m. Christina, Princess of Denmark (b.1521: d.1590) (a)

5b) Sophia Jaigellon, Princess of Poland (b.1522: d.1575) m. Francis I, Duke of Lorraine (b.1517: d.1545) (a)

1a) Charles, Prince of Lorraine (b.1539: d.1544)

2a) Francis II, Duke of Lorraine (b.1541)

3a) Renee, Princess of Lorraine (b.1543)

4a) Stillborn Son (c.1544)

5a) Nicholas, Prince of Lorraine (b.1545)
6b) Anna Jaigellon, Princess of Poland (b.1523: d.1596) m. Albert V, Duke of Bavaria (1528: d.1579) (a)

1a) Maria, Princess of Bavaria (b.1545)

2a) William V, Duke of Bavaria (b.1546)

3a) Sigismund, Prince of Bavaria (b.1547: d.1548)

4a) Ernest, Prince of Bavaria (b.1548)

5a) Barbara, Princess of Bavaria (b.1550)

6a) Stillborn Son (c.1551)

7a) Catherine, Princess of Bavaria (b.1553: d.1555)

8a) Sigismund, Prince of Bavaria (b.1554)

9a) Kunegunde, Princess of Bavaria (b.1556)

10a) Philip, Prince of Bavaria (b.1559)

11a) Stillborn Daughter (c.1560)
7b) Catherine Jaigellon, Princess of Poland (b.1526: d.1583) m. Charles Victor, Prince of Brunswick (b.1523: d.1553) (a)

1a) Stillborn Son (c.1544)

2a) Bona of Brunswick-Lüneburg (b.1546)

3a) William Augustus of Brunswick-Lüneburg (b.1547: d.1550)

4a) Catherine of Brunswick-Lüneburg (b.1551)
8b) Wojciech Albert Jaigellon, Prince of Poland (b.1528: d.1570) m. Anna d'Este (b.1531: d.1607) (a)

1a) Sigismund III, King of Poland (b.1568)

2a) Stillborn Son (c.1569)

3a) John Casimir Jaigellon, Prince of Poland (b.1571: d.1577)
9b) Barbara Jaigellon, Princess of Poland (b.1529: d.1591) m. Maurice, Elector of Saxony (b.1521: d.1553) (a)

1a) Hedwig of Saxony (b.1545: d.1550)

2a) Anna of Saxony (b.1547)

3a) Albert Sigismund of Saxony (b.1550: d.1552)

4a) Maurice II, Elector of Saxony (b.1551)

5a) Albert of Saxony (b.1553: d.1553)
Ok so I've mixed a bit of what has already been said with some of my own ideas. For one, I still doubt that Sigismund II could have children, even if he'd married Christina of Denmark, so I've left them childless. Also, if Bona doesn't suffer the accident that made her lose her second son, it seems likely to me she'd probably try for more children, so I've given her one more before ending it, giving us another daughter to work with. Other than that, I've tried to give everyone pretty believable offspring.

Last edited: