Empire of the Dawn: Chinese Colony in America, 17th Century

子曰道不行, 乘桴浮于海。

The Master said: My doctrine makes no way. I will board a raft, and set to sea. – Confucius

This timeline will be about the Chinese founding a colony in North America. The idea is not a new one. It's one of the standard alternate history what-ifs that people have been asking for years. The problem with the idea is that roughly every single one of the timelines or stories centered around this premise use the same point of divergence, that being the voyages of Zheng He in the early Ming period. Based on what we know about the Ming treasure fleets, I've always found the idea of Zheng He finding North America to be unlikely in the extreme. That argument's for another thread, though.

Our scene for this timeline is set in the late 17th century, at the end of the Ming-Qing transition period, which in real life lasted fully fifty years. The Ming Dynasty had been in decline for decades, but the 1630s proved to be the breaking point. Peasant rebellions swept the countryside, and north of the Great Wall the Manchus built their strength. Finally, in 1644, a rebel army led by Li Zicheng sacked Beijing. The Manchus entered China proper and pushed aside the poorly-organized warlords that had risen up against the Ming. Meanwhile, the Ming court fled south of the Yangtze River and attempted to reorganize the dynasty at Nanjing. Over the next twenty years, these Ming remnants were exterminated by the Manchu conquerors. Ming pretenders popped up and were eliminated in a game of dynastic Whack-a-Mole.

Yet even as the Manchus extended their rule across mainland China, Ming loyalism continued to flourish. In 1661, loyalist troops under the command of Zheng Chenggong retreated to the island of Taiwan. They invested the Dutch fortress in southern Taiwan and forced its surrender after a lengthy siege. Zheng Chenggong died the following year. His son Zheng Jing succeeded him and continued his father's anti-Manchu rhetoric, though it was not initially backed up with military action. Instead, the younger Zheng focused on maritime commerce. His fleet of junks dominated the shipping lanes in the East and South China Seas, conducting trade and, in our alternate history, discovering a rather interesting morsel of information . . .

April 15, 1670

“ . . . And that's all I've been able to work out,” said Liu Guoxuan as he concluded his monologue. Liu hoped the King would be pleased. He’d better be pleased, said a little voice in the back of his mind. I mean, come on, mountains of silver! But one never knows how a king will react – inscrutability being one of the prerogatives of royalty – and so Liu Guoxuan nervously watched his king think about what he'd just been told.

The King had been writing poetry on and off throughout the audience. Now, finally, he dropped his brush on the table and stood up.

“It's a fairy tale,” he said, then paused for a second to scratch his nose. “New worlds and mountains of silver! What a bunch of utter rot.”

Then, he smiled. “So, how do you get there again?”

Liu smiled in relief. In truth, he hadn't really been expecting any other reaction. The King was a crotchety bastard, but also a curious one. The study showed it, crammed as it was with countless scrolls that rolled about on the floor now and then when a breeze blew through the window.

“You'd start by going to Nagasaki,” said Liu, beginning his explanation, “and then continue north. A couple of weeks, maybe.”

The King raised an eyebrow. “You're not exactly the picture of specificity.”

“Do you want to hear how to find the new world and its mountains of silver or not?”

“Ahem,” said the King, narrowing his eyes.

“I mean, do you want to hear how to find the new world and its mountains of silver or not, Your Majesty?” Liu said, by way of amendment.

“Since my tea has gone cold, I suppose you might as well.” The King looked around in mock puzzlement. “Or you could pour me another cup.”

It's exhausting when your sovereign is a twelve year-old in disguise. Liu soldiered on like the soldier he, in fact, was. “Then you go east, with the currents, for . . . a long time,” he said. “Two or three months, maybe, until you run into the new world. But you have to go south for a while before you find the mountains of gold.”

“I thought it was mountains of silver?”

“Gold, silver, whatever,” said Liu, flicking away one of the mosquitoes that seemed to be everywhere. He still hadn't really gotten used to this island, even after eight years. “Mountains of something good. Anyway, they chart a southern course back to Luzon, so as to follow the winds.”

“Well, it's certainly a good story,” said the King. He stood up and shook the dust off his robes. “And you are to be commended for spending so much effort and energy in solving this mystery.” A note of formality crept into his voice as he pronounced this last sentence, a clear signal that the audience was over. Liu bowed and backed out of the study.

Liu thought of the hours upon hours he'd spent in filthy taverns with stinking barbarians and the yokels with incomprehensible accents who called themselves Chinese, pumping them for information. He'd been fascinated by the stories of giant ships stuffed with silver from lands beyond the sea ever since he first journeyed to Manila, that grubby town hiding in the shadow of its walls, in 1663 on a diplomatic mission.

Back in the study Zheng Jing, King of Taiwan, stared at the wet leaves in his empty tea cup and thought of new worlds. He'd make a note of what Liu had said, of course, file it away both on paper and in memory, another item on the cluttered shelves of his study and the even more cluttered shelves of his mind. Maybe he'd never think about it again. It was a good piece of information to have, though. You never know when you'll need a new world.

The final period of conflict came in the 1670s, as several military governors of southern provinces who had previously defected from the Ming to the Qing rebelled against Manchu authority. Zheng forces on Taiwan joined the fighting, and at one point the rebels controlled almost half of China. Yet the Manchu military machine won out in the end, isolating and destroying the fragmented rebels one by one. The naval invasion of Taiwan in 1683 removed the final challenge to Qing authority.

TEN YEARS LATER

Zheng Jing, as far as he knew still King of Taiwan, stared into the depths of an empty wine jug and hiccuped. He tried to count the ways in which everything had gone to shit. They'd been kicked out of China. The troops were demoralized. The other rebels on the mainland had been comprehensively defeated. The Manchu devils had their sights set on Taiwan, and there was no negotiating to be done anymore.

It was after the defeat on Xiamen, during the retreat from the mainland back to Taiwan, that the full force of how completely fucked he was had crashed into Zheng like a rogue wave. He'd shut himself up in the palace with his women and his wine, trying as hard as he could to think about absolutely nothing at all. With a little luck either his liver would give out or he'd screw himself to death before the Manchus figured out how to build a boat.

Not everyone else had given up, which annoyed Zheng more than anything else. Couldn't they see how hopeless it was? Just the other day, Chen Yonghua and Feng Xifan had come with a proposal to invade Luzon and rebuild the nation from there. He'd pretended to listen for a few minutes before dismissing them in disgust. As if the Manchus wouldn't simply follow them to Luzon, and destroy them there! They'd have to go to the other side of the world

– and then, in a flash, he knew.

This timeline will focus on Zheng Taiwan and its expeditions to North America. I think the Zheng regime is fairly well-equipped to face the challenges that come when sailing from East Asia to the New World. First, let's consider capability. The Zheng family regime on Taiwan was built on maritime trade and commerce. They maintained a fleet consisting of more than a thousand ships that sailed throughout the East and South China Seas. Now, of course sailing from Taiwan to Thailand is a lot easier than sailing from Taiwan to California, but the point remains that the Zheng regime had access to lots of large seaworthy ships and trained crews to sail them.

Next, let’s consider motive. This is generally one of the hardest parts of any Chinese-in-the-Americas AH scenario, since there’s no compelling reason for China to bother investing the resources necessary to “discover” North America and found a colony there. But for the Zheng family regime on Taiwan in 1680, there’s a very compelling reason: the Zheng troops have been decisively defeated on the Chinese mainland. Taiwan is about to be invaded by angry Manchus, who will bring the family’s twenty-year rule on the island to an unceremonious end.. The fat lady, as they say, is beginning to sing. In real life, the regime basically collapsed at this point. Though Zheng Jing’s advisers suggested an invasion of Luzon as a way to evade the Manchus and rebuild the dynasty, the advice didn’t take. Zheng Jing more or less gave up and drank himself to death, after which a succession crisis erupted. Clearly, the idea of a retreat to Luzon didn’t appeal to Zheng Jing. But what about a retreat to the New World?

Of course, IRL the Zheng regime wasn’t aware there was a New World, at least as far as I know. But there’s an obvious vector for the knowledge to make its way to them - Manila. For about ten years, between the mid-1660s and the mid-1670s, multiple junks sailed from Taiwan to Manila on trading voyages every year (23 junks during the years 1664-1670 alone). The town of Manila at this point is heavily dependent on the eponymous galleon trade; one or two ships arrived from Acapulco every year with silver and another departed from Manila laden with Chinese goods.There are no secrets in a town full of sailors, and the presence of a large ethnic Chinese community in Manila makes the spread of knowledge to the Zheng traders even less of a stretch. For the purposes of this timeline, we’ll imagine that a particularly inquisitive captain of a Zheng trading junk saw one of the Manila galleons in port, or met someone who been a crewmember on one, or just wondered where all the silver that the Spanish were trading came from, and started making enquiries. The rest is alternate history. I’ll be the first to admit this is a pretty low-probability series of events, but I don’t think it’s all that implausible, and the idea will be a lot of fun to explore.

NEXT: The first expedition to the New World. Place your bets on where landfall will be made! I guess that’s a bit of a spoiler, but if landfall isn’t made then this isn’t much of a timeline.

I enjoyed this! I know a lot of this board tends to be skeptical of Chinese New World TLs, but I've always been under the impression that the Chinese, as far back as the 15th century, possessed the material, technological, and navigational ability to reach the new world, but lacked any motivation to do so. It seems like you've solved that, although with this seeming to be a largely military expedition (and thus likely heavily male), it'll be interesting to see how they develop, and if any Native American or Spanish influence creeps in.

All in all though, very interesting, and I'm looking forward to more!

Zelda

Banned
the natives of California at the time were specially primitive, mostly hunter-gatherer cultures, will be easy prey for the Chinese :/, but if it is not the Chinese it'll be the Spanish later.

I enjoyed this! I know a lot of this board tends to be skeptical of Chinese New World TLs, but I've always been under the impression that the Chinese, as far back as the 15th century, possessed the material, technological, and navigational ability to reach the new world, but lacked any motivation to do so. It seems like you've solved that, although with this seeming to be a largely military expedition (and thus likely heavily male), it'll be interesting to see how they develop, and if any Native American or Spanish influence creeps in.

The only reason people are skeptical of east-to-west colonization is because the Pacific is big. Very big. Like, twice as large as the Atlantic. Plus, I think the winds blow to the east, so any sailboat would be fighting winds, though I'm not 100% on that one. If a boat had enough supplies to get there and set up shop, it could potentially survive. But then, you also have such long times to get back and forth it would be practically independent.

NEXT: The first expedition to the New World. Place your bets on where landfall will be made! I guess that’s a bit of a spoiler, but if landfall isn’t made then this isn’t much of a timeline.

Sounds like you got a plan. Tenthousands of chinese on hundred of ships entering America sounds interesting. I guess, if they land in South-America or Mexico, they get slaughtered by the spaniards. And north of California is not their prefered climate coming from Taiwan.

PS: ... and finally France sells Louisiana to this chinese dynasty, because they could pay more. And regarding Texas ....

Last edited:
The only reason people are skeptical of east-to-west colonization is because the Pacific is big. Very big. Like, twice as large as the Atlantic. Plus, I think the winds blow to the east, so any sailboat would be fighting winds, though I'm not 100% on that one. If a boat had enough supplies to get there and set up shop, it could potentially survive. But then, you also have such long times to get back and forth it would be practically independent.

The Pacific winds do blow to the east more often than to the west. The easy way to remember this is that the winds and the waves are against the Polynesian westward expansion (the Polynesians would set out against the wind/wave patterns because it makes for a safer return voyage).

The winds blow different directions at different latitudes. At the latitude of the Phillipines they blow East to West, while at the latitude of Hokkaido they blow West to East. This means, that if you sail North and then East, and then South and then West, you don't have to fight winds:

WOR_THEM_Winds.jpg

The ocean currents also conveniently follow this same pattern:

North_Pacific_Subtropical_Convergence_Zone.jpg

Of course, none of this solves the distance problem, and the Spanish sailing from Mexico to the Phillipines and back have the convenience of two currents very close to each other which point in opposite directions.

If anything, the Chinese will have an easier time than the Spanish in crossing the Pacific, as the Pacific is narrower at higher latitudes where the currents run West to East, and the Chinese will have the option of stopping in Japan, Kamchatka, Alaska, etc. to hunt for food and refill water supplies if they have to.

How large is the Han population of Taiwan at this time? I don't think that Zheng Jing wants to bring unassimilated aborigines along with him, so he'll be recruiting colonists from the Han population only. Maybe he can augment the number using Han migrants from Southeast Asia or the Philippines.
If the population isn't all that large, it's likely that this won't be a "Chinese" colony but a "Sinified" colony whose population is still majority Native American. And that would be hella cool :cool:
Also, for location of the colony: I'm betting on the Columbia River.
Sure, it's cold. The first few months are going to be tough for the colonists. Worst-case scenario, there'll be a little cannibalism in the winter.
But, Spain doesn't control the territory-- it doesn't even have a firm hold over California in the 1600s (IIRC, the missions don't get set up until the late 1700s)
And, if they hold out long enough to make a permanent settlement on the mouth of the Columbia (somewhere around present-day Astoria) and grow their population enough to create a decent army, they may be able to conquer the Willamette Valley.
And, according to Wikipedia:
The valley's numerous waterways, particularly the Willamette River, remain vitally important to the economy of Oregon, as they continuously deposit highly fertile alluvial soils across its broad, flat plain. A massively productive agricultural area, the valley was widely publicized in the 1820s as a 'promised land of flowing milk and honey'. Throughout the 19th century it was the destination of choice for the oxen-drawn wagon trains of emigrants who made the perilous journey along the Oregon Trail.
That's an agricultural engine that's more than sufficient to drive further expansion into the hinterland and eventually access the lucrative fur trade.
Expansion along the Willamette and the Columbia River in general would grant some of the economic strength needed to fund a defense against Spain, which will definitely be suspicious of the colony once it demonstrates its ability to survive.
Russia will have to be dealt with as well-- they start inching down the Northwest Pacific coast of the Americas starting in the 1730s.
Of course, I'm probably wrong, but I don't even care-- this timeline is looking to be good no matter where the ship eventually lands :D

How large is the Han population of Taiwan at this time? I don't think that Zheng Jing wants to bring unassimilated aborigines along with him, so he'll be recruiting colonists from the Han population only. Maybe he can augment the number using Han migrants from Southeast Asia or the Philippines.
If the population isn't all that large, it's likely that this won't be a "Chinese" colony but a "Sinified" colony whose population is still majority Native American. And that would be hella cool :cool:
Also, for location of the colony: I'm betting on the Columbia River.
Sure, it's cold. The first few months are going to be tough for the colonists. Worst-case scenario, there'll be a little cannibalism in the winter.
But, Spain doesn't control the territory-- it doesn't even have a firm hold over California in the 1600s (IIRC, the missions don't get set up until the late 1700s)
And, if they hold out long enough to make a permanent settlement on the mouth of the Columbia (somewhere around present-day Astoria) and grow their population enough to create a decent army, they may be able to conquer the Willamette Valley.
And, according to Wikipedia:

That's an agricultural engine that's more than sufficient to drive further expansion into the hinterland and eventually access the lucrative fur trade.
Expansion along the Willamette and the Columbia River in general would grant some of the economic strength needed to fund a defense against Spain, which will definitely be suspicious of the colony once it demonstrates its ability to survive.
Russia will have to be dealt with as well-- they start inching down the Northwest Pacific coast of the Americas starting in the 1730s.
Of course, I'm probably wrong, but I don't even care-- this timeline is looking to be good no matter where the ship eventually lands :D

I like this location. I am sure the OP has their own ideas, but I would certainly consider it the best probable location, given its distance from Spain, and its good farmlands.

It could even work with the winds if, they go along the North Pacific winds and then get caught in the current going north towards the Alaskan winds.

. . with this seeming to be a largely military expedition (and thus likely heavily male), it'll be interesting to see how they develop, and if any Native American or Spanish influence creeps in.

Thanks! This is a really important point - the expeditions will indeed be heavily male, so there will be a lot of Native American influence in whatever we end up calling this culture. What’s more, after Taiwan falls to the Manchus there won’t be a second wave of colonists for a while. There will eventually be a second wave, due to a Nifty Divergence that will be explained in due course, but not for a while. So yeah, all those soldiers will be getting pretty lonely. Spanish influence not so much, I think, as they were very thin on the ground at this point.

Dunno if plausible, but will be closely following.

If anyone sees something that breaks your suspension of disbelief, please do let me know. I’m aware this scenario is definitely not one of those AH things that almost happened in real life.

the natives of California at the time were specially primitive, mostly hunter-gatherer cultures, will be easy prey for the Chinese :/, but if it is not the Chinese it'll be the Spanish later.

I suspect that the Chinese hand will be lighter than the Spanish one, but yeah, imperialism is never fun.

Sounds like you got a plan. Tenthousands of chinese on hundred of ships entering America sounds interesting. I guess, if they land in South-America or Mexico, they get slaughtered by the spaniards. And north of California is not their prefered climate coming from Taiwan.

Tens of thousands is a bit more than I'd planned on! I haven't settled on an exact number yet, though.

The Pacific winds do blow to the east more often than to the west. The easy way to remember this is that the winds and the waves are against the Polynesian westward expansion (the Polynesians would set out against the wind/wave patterns because it makes for a safer return voyage).

The winds blow different directions at different latitudes. At the latitude of the Phillipines they blow East to West, while at the latitude of Hokkaido they blow West to East. This means, that if you sail North and then East, and then South and then West, you don't have to fight winds:

The plan is to go to Nagasaki first, since the Zheng fleets are very familiar with that route. They’ll then follow the Japanese coastline for a while - which will in itself cause a divergence from history - before catching the Kuroshio and heading east. They could wind up in either the Pacific Northwest or in California depending on the winds and on chance. Going back to Asia is trickier and requires some southward travel before heading west. We’ll see if the Zhengs can pull it off . . .

The population question is one that there’s no firm answer to. Statecraft and Political Economy on the Taiwan Frontier states, “The best estimate of Taiwan’s Chinese population in the [Zheng] era, by [Chen Shaoxing], gives a maximum of 120,000,” while Taiwan: A New History estimates between 50,000 and 100,000.

While there will be some Sinicized aborigines that make the trip, the vast majority of the settlers will indeed be Han Chinese.

The Columbia has sandbars; it took 20c US Army Corps of Engineers works to make its mouth navigable by large ships. That's why the biggest city in that region is Seattle and not Portland. (Similarly, in New England, the biggest city is Boston, and not Old Saybrook, since the Connecticut has a sandbar.)

Best location to found a colony is the San Francisco Bay. It's the opening to the Central Valley. In my as-yet-unwritten WI-the-Mongols-don't-unify-and-conquer-China-and-Song-China-industrializes-in-the-14c timeline, it's the main Chinese port in the New World. I don't know whether a sailing ship from China will have an easier time getting there than the Columbia, but the ocean currents in California go south, so if you hit the far north of California you can then hit the SF Bay.

Some of the California natives were extremely clever in how they adapted to Spanish rule, so I'd love to see how they might adapt to Chinese rule. I love all East Asian New World timelines and scenarios in general, having come up with my own:).

What does Japan think about all these Chinese ships sailing off their coast? That's definitely something to note (at the very least) for the Japanese, secluded as they might be in this era, all these Chinese ships sailing off of Japan like never before.

San Francisco Bay is a great port, as is San Diego. Seattle, Bellingham, and Vancouver are good locations in the north. The latter don't have to worry as much about Spanish claims to the region and thus an imminent fight with the Spanish.

Great idea!!

Whilst landing in California might provide more opportunities, it also bears greater risks. Further North in the Pacific North-West, they`d have time to develop into whatever interesting direction you want them to develop before anyone else can really bother them.
And also, there are some interesting native societies there, e.g. the Coastal Salish. I´d be so looking forward to the political tradition of Imperial potlatch ;)

The Columbia has sandbars; it took 20c US Army Corps of Engineers works to make its mouth navigable by large ships. That's why the biggest city in that region is Seattle and not Portland. (Similarly, in New England, the biggest city is Boston, and not Old Saybrook, since the Connecticut has a sandbar.)

Best location to found a colony is the San Francisco Bay. It's the opening to the Central Valley. . .

San Francisco Bay is a great port, as is San Diego. Seattle, Bellingham, and Vancouver are good locations in the north. The latter don't have to worry as much about Spanish claims to the region and thus an imminent fight with the Spanish.

Great idea!!

Whilst landing in California might provide more opportunities, it also bears greater risks. Further North in the Pacific North-West, they`d have time to develop into whatever interesting direction you want them to develop before anyone else can really bother them.
And also, there are some interesting native societies there, e.g. the Coastal Salish. I´d be so looking forward to the political tradition of Imperial potlatch ;)

These are all great landing spots and excellent ideas. The bit about the Columbia River is especially interesting; I had no idea about the sandbars. Without giving it away, let me hint that I decided where the expedition would make landfall mostly based on the fact that someone has to go back to Taiwan and tell everyone the New World does actually exist. Think currents!

What does Japan think about all these Chinese ships sailing off their coast? That's definitely something to note (at the very least) for the Japanese, secluded as they might be in this era, all these Chinese ships sailing off of Japan like never before.

This will absolutely be an issue, yeah. It's like you're reading my mind or something! We’ll see what happens . . .

Very interesting idea. In fact, I have my own TL idea which is similar to this, but with Japan instead of China.

Looking forward to more.

Thanks! Next update is coming tomorrow, time permitting.

I'm following. Would be fun to see how they deal with the natives and the Spaniards. I suspect the Zheng family would buckle under pressure from Spain to convert to Christianity and become a vassal at the risk of extermination, unless given enough time to hold their own. Hell, they might do it anyway just to gain favours and trade from the Spanish.

I'm following. Would be fun to see how they deal with the natives and the Spaniards. I suspect the Zheng family would buckle under pressure from Spain to convert to Christianity and become a vassal at the risk of extermination, unless given enough time to hold their own. Hell, they might do it anyway just to gain favours and trade from the Spanish.
Extermination in America, you mean?

Neat idea but isn't that kind of late? I think the Spanish were colonizing most of the Californian Coast by that point. And won't the Russians be settling places in Alaska soon?