Empire of New Castille

Most of all, how is this going to factor into Philippines' tendency for imperialism (with the 450 million taels from the ransom/indenmnity plus the fact Philippines is only one with benefiting from the silver ransom, Philippines can technically finance more colonial expansions (on military spending) if it really wishes and not get broke (money becomes less of a limit for Philippines' goals, only other factors will limit Philippines' goals (population most likely but if Philippines were to invade the Dutch and her heavily populated colonies....well, I'll just say Philippines' future is going to be interesting).
I rather fear with Philippines still low population, they will be stretched thin (though if they adopt Britain's method of controlling a country by working with its leaders, that's becomes less of a problem)
From all the spice that flow out of China, they can easily rely on Chinese mercenaries and immigrants especially from those Philippine-trained cadres and their families.
I was really hoping Korea wasn't part of Treaty of Beijing hahaha... I guess I want Japan to have Korea, Northern China and be the ones to mainly deal with Russia if they ever expand while Philippines stick to the Pacific and the SEA spheres of influence (though I doubt now if Japan can pursue colonial expansion with the strategic resources more or less under Philippines spheres of influence).
I fear that Philippine's strength has gone unassailable by now compared to Japan, consigning them to a fate limited within their home islands and Hokkaido. However, that doesn't preclude them from making diplomatic agreements with those governments in Asia, however, as well as overseas who are interested in throwing Japan some bones for them to become another factor to the balance of power in the region. Those interested parties may also let Japan buy resources from them and their colonies at a bargain price, for one.

However, its history will become unrecognizable anyways due to the lack of Matthew Perry's bombastic expedition, and those well-read in the Edo Period must be only be aware that the Japanese sciences and economy are, however nativised, actually on par with their European counterparts (there are only so many Japanese who can speak and read Dutch, and Western Doctors have actually demonstrated surgeries before the Shogun), so any opening up of their country will only speed up the reformist's drive for modernisation and compel the Shogun himself to give more explicit support for it. Coupled with the nativist reaction especially manifested by the Sonno Joi movement, the Komei emperor's earlier sympathetic sentiments and edicts supporting the movement, and as well as the ambition of the outsider Daimyo's especially from the Satsuma domain, it would only make for a situation ripe for political agitation, driven by the desire of centralising Japan, preferably to their own satisfaction.

If the author can't attend to much details, I'll recommend having a largely similar Bakumatsu, just with different assassinations and a different temple name for Emperor Mutsuhito. A different historiography regarding about the roles of the Tenno and the Shogun will also be appreciated.

The prospective Filipinos (those ones who chose to explore before the official diplomatic contact) being compelled to step on the Virgin Mary plates would only have engendered mistrust however. A devout Catholic, whether they be an Andresano or a Hiligaynon, reacting to that stipulation would only be interesting to see, to say the least.

The more pressing concern for this timeline, however, is China's dwindling coinage that compelled them to sell Outer Manchuria to the Russians in the 1858 Treaty of Aigun. There, the British, Russians, and Filipinos are truly at the crossroads. You can include Japan, though that's only if they're not opened because if they did, they would have been hemorrhaging gold due to Japan's difference in Gold-Silver exchange. Hence, the last one's unlikely to happen.

Last edited:
However, its history will become unrecognizable anyways due to the lack of Matthew Perry's bombastic expedition, and those well-read in the Edo Period must be only be aware that the Japanese sciences and economy are, however nativised, actually on par with their European counterparts (there are only so many Japanese who can speak and read Dutch, and Western Doctors have actually demonstrated surgeries before the Shogun), so any opening up of their country will only speed up the reformist's drive for modernisation and compel the Shogun himself to give more explicit support for it. Coupled with the nativist reaction especially manifested by the Sonno Joi movement, the Komei emperor's earlier sympathetic sentiments and edicts supporting the movement, and as well as the ambition of the outsider Daimyo's especially from the Satsuma domain, it would only make for a situation ripe for political agitation, driven by the desire of centralising Japan, preferably to their own satisfaction.

If the author can't attend to much details, I'll recommend having a largely similar Bakumatsu, just with different assassinations and a different temple name for Emperor Mutsuhito. A different historiography regarding about the roles of the Tenno and the Shogun will also be appreciated.
So, I guess Philippines will step up to OTL US way when it comes to opening up of Japan which would contribute to the rise of Bakumatsu wars (more or less the same as OTL, only difference is Philippines doing the "bombastic" opening instead of US). It is also interesting because if Philippines does it, I think it would be done after the China campaign (after all, Andres was so focused on China ) which was around 1854 while the OTL 1st Perry Expedition happened around 1852 and culminated in the Convention of Kanagawa in March 1854 (ATL Philippines was about to start their China campaign for comparison). That means, all the political agitation and unrest will be delayed by a few years but due to delays of few years, we have to expect butterflies in this timeline. (ATL Phiippines will do their 1st expedition to Japan after Sept 1854).

I think Philippines will do the US way of opening up Japan. Between a militaritic leader, a powerful navy close to Philippine home islands, a tributary in Korea, a successful China campaign, Philippines can easily do the gunboat diplomacy in even easier circumstances compared to OTL US itself.

Interestingly, the question is, would Philippines even deign to contact Japan with all the gains of China, Korea, SEA sphere of influence, Japan herself doesn't have anything of value to Philippines (Silk from China and silver from Latin Am/China is enough to sate Philippines luxury/trade demands, Bonin islands for naval base/whaling base for the Pacific trade). If anything, if Japan were to seek modernization and industrialization, it should be her initiative to approach Philippines lest Philippines tries to gunboat her to submission if she tries anything with Korea.

EDIT:
Now, I really wanted an update that focused on Japan especially with the foreign intrusion and the shogunate decline leading to the political unrest (that may or may not be hurried along by upstart empire Philippines activities in China, Korea and Bonin islands) that may lead to a different kind of Bakumatsu in the eyes of a Philippine observer.

Last edited:
Interestingly, the question is, would Philippines even deign to contact Japan with all the gains of China, Korea, SEA sphere of influence, Japan herself doesn't have anything of value to Philippines (Silk from China and silver from Latin Am/China is enough to sate Philippines luxury/trade demands, Bonin islands for naval base/whaling base for the Pacific trade). If anything, if Japan were to seek modernization and industrialization, it should be her initiative to approach Philippines lest Philippines tries to gunboat her to submission if she tries anything with Korea.
Perhaps, someone else may do so, most likely the British. To be fair though, money is still money to those ones who were presented with that prospect, that's why there are about 3000 westerners who worked for the Imperial government after all, and even (before) then, some of them, especially those who were not involved in diplomatic missions, had been more altruistic in their intentions, or at least more (stupidly) curious about the islands, hence further contributing to the already significant cadre of foreign language teachers in Nagasaki.

Before that, the Russian prospects in China should be better explored, as well as Mexican interests in the region seeing that they're becoming quite a respectable power already. Seeing the Philippine Victory in China, the Russians are about to be boxed in from everywhere and would start to formulate plans for their more precarious position in the future.

Also, with the Philippine victory over China, the archipelago starts to look more towards Asia for their brethren than Latin America. Perhaps, Philippines being Asian is always a certainty given the distance, no matter how much the Andresano's fawn over the galleons setting back and forth for Mexico.

Last edited:
Before that, the Russian prospects in China should be better explored, as well as Mexican interests in the region seeing that they're becoming quite a respectable power already. Seeing the Philippine Victory in China, the Russians about to be boxed in from everywhere and would start to formulate plans for their more precarious position in the future.
True, with Mexico's internal stability and catching up with US might mean that its is more aware of the foreign movements in its spheres of influence (Its competition for influence with Philippines in Central and South America is already one example) but I think with US and Britain encroaching in the Carribean Islands would mean that Mexico, if it ever expands and spread out influence has to secure its eastern area and the Atlantic side influence 1st, including the Carribean islands, rather than spread out to Western Pacific (US/Britain is watching Mex)

Well, this update managed to surprised me a lot hahaha And here I was expecting a 2nd Battle of La Navale but instead we got a weird mashup of 2nd Opium War/Chinese Rebellions/Boxer Protocols (though the more closer equivalent is the 1st Sino-Jap war wherein a westernized Asian country attacks China and its Japanese rep aftermath) several years earlier and done solely by Philippines by itself (Britain and Prussian were there only as advisors and observers). And what's more, they managed to capture the capital and the Chinese emperor by themselves, thus having the Chinese government capitulate at its core. (only to release them after an lots and lots of unfair unequal treaties for China, yay for Philippines)

Dragonslayer, indeed....
Yeah, I got Sino-Japanese War vibes from that.

Yeah, I got Sino-Japanese War vibes from that.
And the icing on the cake was the capture of the reigning Chinese Emperor, something never been done in OTL, even by Japanese. Militaristic Andres did not stop with the capture of Beijing and avoided the negotiations of Prince Gong, he really wanted the capture of the emperor for the ransom. 450 million taels, wow! I was at first stunned on how Andres managed that deal (even the Jap only extracted 200 million silver from the 1st Sino-Jap war with the Treaty of Shimonoseki and 450 million from the OTL boxer protocol was shared by a lot of nations) and then remembered how the Chinese respected their Emperor in their culture, the Beijing government are willing to pay any price no matter how high. Aftermath, this would have a big effect on the Chinese (from the Qing Dynasty monarchs, the bureaucracy, the government down to the peasants knowing that their emperor was captured by westernized SE Asians whose leader is a military creole (mixed Western/Asian) blood who calls himself Emperor of the Philippine Islands)

Wondering now though.....is there any foreign navy around that time that can do the "triple intervention" against Philippines like Russia, France and Germany did to Japan. I would expect Russia to lead this intervention if it really does happen. Though I get Russia is quite busy with Britain in the Great Game but I'm rather surprised that there was no reaction from Russia (or we have yet to see) since 1823 when Philippines was growing its merchant fleet (whose Imperial Galleons can turn into warships with just loading the guns/cannons) and its military navy also growing too to protect the fleet from pirates. After all, didn't Russia had this Pacific mare nostrum policy since Catherine the Great? A independent archipelagic nation like Philippines who developed instant diplomatic ties with Britain (Russia's rival in the Great Game) at its independence would have the Russians kept a close eye on Phil ever since 1823. And if they saw how the Philippines' navy is growing, I'm surprised that there was no reactionary sentiments from the Russian Empire (even before the China campaign).

Last edited:
Wondering now though.....is there any foreign navy around that time that can do the "triple intervention" against Philippines like Russia, France and Germany did to Japan. I would expect Russia to lead this intervention if it really does happen. Though I get Russia is quite busy with Britain in the Great Game but I'm rather surprised that there was no reaction from Russia (or we have yet to see) since 1823 when Philippines was growing its merchant fleet (whose Imperial Galleons can turn into warships with just loading the guns/cannons) and its military navy also growing too to protect the fleet from pirates. After all, didn't Russia had this Pacific mare nostrum policy since Catherine the Great? A independent archipelagic nation like Philippines who developed instant diplomatic ties with Britain (Russia's rival in the Great Game) at its independence would have the Russians kept a close eye on Phil ever since 1823. And if they saw how the Philippines' navy is growing, I'm surprised that there was no reactionary sentiments from the Russian Empire (even before the China campaign).
I think the world is too distracted this time. But Phil would be wise not to try to grab even more for some time.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it's now a tall order for Russians to fulfill. Better that they play ball with the Filipinos, but that is now complicated with the upstart empire's protection of the Dragon Throne. With the Qing still having a coinage diarrhoea however, I can only expect them to sell the same territories to the Russians, if not more, setting the stage for another Han uprising a warlord era the oligarchic takeover of China, but of course after the decline of the Qing.

One thing that I'm only sure of is that the Middle Kingdom is only going somewhere else with its Philippine officers.

Don't you get worried though? Angry Chinese and/or ambitious officers can only help in making those Philippine-trained armies uncontrollable.
I think the world is too distracted this time. But Phil would be wise not too try to grab even more for some time.
It pretty much guaranteed his place in the history books and the military academies, and the pouring of cold water on miscegenation, which would instead be encouraged.

Now, Prince Andrew must only get so excited to try covet the Dragon Throne for himself, so that the Philippine tradition of gamermundo will continue!

*evil laughter*

Last edited:
And the icing on the cake was the capture of the reigning Chinese Emperor, something never been done in OTL, even by Japanese. Militaristic Andres did not stop with the capture of Beijing and avoided the negotiations of Prince Gong, he really wanted the capture of the emperor for the ransom. 450 million taels, wow! I was at first stunned on how Andres managed that deal (even the Jap only extracted 200 million silver from the 1st Sino-Jap war with the Treaty of Shimonoseki and 450 million from the OTL boxer protocol was shared by a lot of nations) and then remembered how the Chinese respected their Emperor in their culture, the Beijing government are willing to pay any price no matter how high. Aftermath, this would have a big effect on the Chinese (from the Qing Dynasty monarchs, the bureaucracy, the government down to the peasants knowing that their emperor was captured by westernized SE Asians whose leader is a military creole (mixed Western/Asian) blood who calls himself Emperor of the Philippine Islands)
Well with the humiliation that so big... I expect a China going big on modernization, industrialization, much much bigger scale compared to otl and reformist faction going stronger there to reform China to make the bureaucracy efficient and be stronger than ever. It seems that the Dragon will rise again stronger to take his place again.

Either a China under a monarchy or republic, with that humiliation I expect a china wank as the treaties are worse than otl will create a unified spirit to beat the "imperialist foreigners" out of China

Well with the humiliation that so big... I expect a China going big on modernization, industrialization, much much bigger scale compared to otl and reformist faction going stronger there to reform China to make the bureaucracy efficient and be stronger than ever. It seems that the Dragon will rise again stronger to take his place again.

Either a China under a monarchy or republic, with that humiliation I expect a china wank as the treaties are worse than otl will create a unified spirit to beat the "imperialist foreigners" out of China
China looks primed for a powerful reforming Emperor that will see breakneck modernization under the traditional autocratic model of the country. It will be the one 'pulling a Meiji' ITTL.

China looks primed for a powerful reforming Emperor that will see breakneck modernization under the traditional autocratic model of the country. It will be the one 'pulling a Meiji' ITTL.
Possibly true (though the earlier warlord era is also a possibility as well) and for Philippines, this is a double edge sword I think. If Philippines plays nice and smartly with China after that, it can have a China that is pro-Philippines at best and neutral rival to Philippines at worst. This will not happen in a single generation but the animosity between countries will lessen if there's no more incidents between the 2 in the succeeding generations (Philippines is satisfied with its deals such protecting the seas surrounding China, train the Chinese military, maybe do building up China with schools, hospitals and infrastructure with the indemnities, and instead goes south towards Dutch). I hope that Philippines can convince China to leave the seas to them while China can concentrate on its army and that its better for China to have friendly relations with Philippines for economic benefits rather than a hostile neighbor.

China pulling a Meiji will be a development that ATL Philippines will closely follow and act accordingly (should I derail this to make them weaker? or a stronger China is good for my economy? After all, Philippines in this ATL is more of an entrepot trade country (European goods and Chinese goods are both traded here) rather than a resource extraction or plantation based economy (these economies were more of supplements) and China was/is one of its biggest trading partners together with Mexico and Britain (esp before the Qing decline).

Last edited:
31. Unequal treaties (1851-1855)
31. Unequal treaties (1851-1855)

The British have signed their new treaty with Qing China. China will cede territories to expand British Hong Kong. The British will receive all economic and diplomatic rights as the Philippines. Opium was also legalized.

The British concurs with the British-Philippine duopoly of most favored nation status with China, promises to aid China if another European or Great power demands a new treaty.

The British also agrees to aid the Qing vs all of the Chinese rebels.

The Kingdom of Prussia also signs a treaty with China and will be able to trade in 5 Chinese ports plus Nanjing, Shantou, Haikou, Zhifu, Yingkou and same rights as France, United States, Russia and Sweden-Norway.

The defeat of China caused fear among Asia nations and increased the prestige of the Empire of the Philippines in Europe.

incheon-korea-june-7-2020-260nw-1761939509.jpg

Gangha Island Deokjinjin Fort, Kingdom of Korea​

When Philippine ships began surveying Korea and reached Ganghwa Island, Korean forts opened fire on Philippine survey ships. The survey ship left only to return with a larger force, which was bound to return to Manila, coming from Tianjin.

The Koreans have been rejected trade with Western vessels. British East India company requested trade in 1832. a British warship in 1845 surveyed the coast of Cheju-do and Chŏlla province which the Koreans protested thru British authorities in Guangzhou through the Chinese government. In 1846, three French warships dropped anchor off the coast of Chungcheong Province and conveyed a letter protesting persecution of Catholics in the country.

Philippine Imperial Naval ships started bombarding forts in Ganghwa Island, the Philippine Imperial Marines started landing troops in Ganghwa island and Yeongjongdo island. The Kingdom of Joseon, which heard the news of the capitulation of China, immediately negotiated with the Philippines.

Philippine-Korean treaty of Amnity of 1855
Korea is under the protection of the Philippines and not a tributary of China.

Philippines right to station permanent diplomatic legation in Seoul; Korea will also send diplomatic legation in Manila

Korea opens all ports to Philippine trade

Secure aid and support for Philippine ships stranded or wrecked in Korea

Permission to conduct survey of Korea

Permission of Philippines merchant’s residence, unhindered trade, and the right to lease land and buildings for those purposes in the open ports.

Guaranteed the freedom to conduct business without interference from either government and to trade without restrictions or prohibitions.

Grants Philippines the right of extraterritoriality

Philippines will return Ganghwa and Yeongjongdo islands to Korea; Korea cedes Jeju Island in perpetuity.

shipslandingjapan.jpg

Landing of troops by Brooke-Gomez Expedition in Japan​

Japan also heard of the news of Chinese demise. Japan had been rejecting demands to open their country despite several attempts of European nations.

When a Philippine fleet of twelve ships a mix of steam frigate and sloops arrived in Edo Bay, Admiral Carlos Gomez of the Imperial Philippine Navy and advisor James Brooke refused to leave until a treaty with Japan was signed.

The fleet fired blank shots on July 2 with their Paixhans shell guns. Admiral Gomez claimed it was to celebrate Emperor Andres declaring independence from Spain. Japanese guard boats tried to surround and board the fleet but was repelled.

Fearing of a possible invasion and the demonstration of Philippine naval technology to the Japanese, negotiations with Japan started.

The expedition landed 500 sailors in the village of Yokohama. After a month of negotiation, diplomatic gifts were given. Philippines presented to the Japanese – a miniature steam locomotive, a telegraph apparatus, small arms from Santa Mesa, watches and various items and books about the Philippines. On August 11, a treaty was signed between Philippines and Japan in Yokohama.

Philippine-Japanese treaty of Amnity of 1855
Opening of the ports of Nagasaki and Hakodate

Assistance to be provided to shipwrecked Philippine sailors; Shipwrecked sailors not to be imprisoned or mistreated

Freedom of movement for temporary foreign residents in treaty ports

Trade transactions to be permitted

Japan to give the Philippines any favorable advantages which might be negotiated by Japan with any other foreign government in the future

Opening of a Philippine consulate at Nagasaki

Ryukyu Kingdom will be under the protection of the Philippines

The Philippines offered 10 million silver coins to help fund part of the British Crimean War and to recognize new or upcoming Philippine territories, Formosa, Zhoushan, Dalian, Jeju Island, New Guinea including free hand and recognition of Portuguese Macau as Philippine territory.

The British rejected the idea of Philippines taking Portuguese Macau. Instead, they want the Philippines to refocus on the Dutch East Indies.

Instead of invading occupying Macau, Philippines offered Portugal to purchase Macau and her peripheries for 5 million silver coins. The Portuguese rejected the offer. Then, the Philippines occupied the southern island of Coloane which the Portuguese haven’t occupied. However, Portuguese will have to pay a higher rent and sign a new treaty with China due to their occupation of Taipa Island. The British supports resumption of payment of rent. It was triggered by the British treaty with China.

The British accepted the offer of 15 million silver coins in recognition of Philippine territories, Formosa, Zhoushan, Dalian, Jeju Island. The British accepts Philippine protection of Kingdom of Korea with Philippines to negotiate favorable trade in their behalf. The British also accepts Philippine protection of Ryuku Kingdom.

The British will also be given favorable trade in Kingdom of Korea, which is under the protection of the Philippines.

Formosa was given autonomy, a self-governing state, with only national defense, foreign affairs, official language, international trade remained with the Philippine Imperial Government. However, the Formosan government must use Spanish as one of the official languages and pattern public education after the Philippine public education system.

empireofthephilippinesv2.png

Empire of the Philippines 1855

Red –those that follow Imperial law (Luzon, Cebu, Bohol, Coloane, Zhoushan, Jeju Islands; Dalian, Marianas and Caroline islands, Bonin Islands); not in the map(Pearl Harbor)
Aqua – other Provinces of the Empire of the Philippines (Visayan islands, Northern Mindanao, most of Borneo)
Orange – Responsible Government of Formosa
Purple – Philippine Protectorates (Sultanate of Brunei; Kingdom of Korea, Ryukyu Kingdom, Kingdom of Hawaii)

Finally! The update that I was waiting for! Seems like Philippines really did the US way of opening up Japan (entering with nice gunboats hahaha). I 'm also amused that it only took 1 expedition to open up Japan and get those treaties (is this really Philippines first expedition? I'm surprised since they could have done the Dutch way first (it could work with an admiral/negotiator that was Malay-looking (so not very foreign-looking) and was very diplomatic) before concluding it was hopeless and opted for US way after). Perry in contrast has to make multiple expeditions before the Treaty of Kanagawa which took 2 years.
The British have signed their new treaty with Qing China. China will cede territories to expand British Hong Kong. The British will receive all economic and diplomatic rights as the Philippines. Opium was also legalized.

The British concurs with the British-Philippine duopoly of most favored nation status with China, promises to aid China if another European or Great power demands a new treaty.

The British also agrees to aid the Qing vs all of the Chinese rebels.

The Kingdom of Prussia also signs a treaty with China and will be able to trade in 5 Chinese ports plus Nanjing, Shantou, Haikou, Zhifu, Yingkou and same rights as France, United States, Russia and Sweden-Norway.

The defeat of China caused fear among Asia nations and increased the prestige of the Empire of the Philippines in Europe.
So, this echoes the aftermath of the 2nd opium war (which was done 5 years earlier than OTL) and good that Philippines is making a name for itself (just like Japan in the 1st Sino jap war). The prestige is there but there should be wariness also accompanying it (Other powers would less likely see Phil as another weak country that can be re-colonized but rather a competitor for colonies and influence). How's Russia reacting to this? Though, they are quite busy with the Crimean War with Britain. But still, I hope to see Russia's reactions to all of this haha.
When Philippine ships began surveying Korea and reached Ganghwa Island, Korean forts opened fire on Philippine survey ships. The survey ship left only to return with a larger force, which was bound to return to Manila, coming from Tianjin.

The Koreans have been rejected trade with Western vessels. British East India company requested trade in 1832. a British warship in 1845 surveyed the coast of Cheju-do and Chŏlla province which the Koreans protested thru British authorities in Guangzhou through the Chinese government. In 1846, three French warships dropped anchor off the coast of Chungcheong Province and conveyed a letter protesting persecution of Catholics in the country.

Philippine Imperial Naval ships started bombarding forts in Ganghwa Island, the Philippine Imperial Marines started landing troops in Ganghwa island and Yeongjongdo island. The Kingdom of Joseon, which heard the news of the capitulation of China, immediately negotiated with the Philippines.
Interesting, so Philippines also opened up Korea as well. With Philippines conquest of China and Korea just north of Philippines (and the fact with the Beijing treaty), they are bound to be visited by Philippines sooner. And with the Philippine navy actually roaming around the South China Sea and the Pacific Ocean (plus the indemnities) means that within a short time, Philippines can send a moderate fleet to "negotiate" with the closed governments. This would definitely affect Japan.
The British rejected the idea of Philippines taking Portuguese Macau. Instead, they want the Philippines to refocus on the Dutch East Indies.
Yes Britain, please advise Philippines on that hahaha
he British accepted the offer of 15 million silver coins in recognition of Philippine territories, Formosa, Zhoushan, Dalian, Jeju Island. The British accepts Philippine protection of Kingdom of Korea with Philippines to negotiate favorable trade in their behalf. The British also accepts Philippine protection of Ryuku Kingdom.
This is very interesting, especially on the last sentence. Ryuku Kingdom.....wasn't this Kingdom a vassal state of the Satsuma's? And the Satsuma together with the Choshu were the ones to overthrow the Shogunate? With the Philippines expressing interest in it (to the the point of making the Kingdom its protectorate), I wonder how the Philippines' entrance into weakening government affect their future interactions. After all, unlike US, Philippines is just south of their backyard and most of all, made a protectorate of that Kingdom which was historically their vassal for centuries.

Btw, what does Admiral Carlos Gomez looked like? European? Indio (Austronesian/Malay looking)? Mestizo? Curious here since first impressions are everything.

PS: With all these updates on unequal treaties and port openings, this just remind me that Philippines still has some protectionist policies (only allowing foreign trade in Manila (but the fact it is the capital of the nation kept the foreigners' dissatisfaction to a minimum) except for the British who are all over the archipelago), is it high time for Philippines to consider other port openings to other foreigners in order to satisfy and maintain good relations with other rising Powers in the region? (Russia, Germany, France, Dutch(?) and even Mexico (if they are stable and their navy developed enough, they could seek trade in the area, in this ATL, Mexico could take the place of US interests ever since the North American war since, they together with Britain, now controls Western Pacific). If the author consider, they could make Cebu the domestic entrepot port (like OTL) while they could open ports to foreigners in other islands (this could boost the economy of the other provinces of the nation) while keeping the Manila port in Luzon island the only one open to all foreigners.

Last edited:
Wow the the Philippines just conquered or forced most of their neighbors into submission, looking forward to alfred’s reign tho
All hail Philippine Raj under Alfred.

This is very interesting, especially on the last sentence. Ryuku Kingdom.....wasn't this Kingdom a vassal state of the Satsuma's? And the Satsuma together with the Choshu were the ones to overthrow the Shogunate? With the Philippines expressing interest in it (to the the point of making the Kingdom its protectorate), I wonder how the Philippines' entrance into weakening government affect their future interactions. After all, unlike US, Philippines is just south of their backyard and most of all, made a protectorate of that Kingdom which was historically their vassal for centuries.
Satsuma nor Japan cannot do anything about Philippines wanting Ryuku at this point. Japan is entering Bakamatsu while Philippine Navy is too powerful relative to Japan or Satsuma.

Btw, what does Admiral Carlos Gomez looked like? European? Indio (Austronesian/Malay looking)? Mestizo? Curious here since first impressions are everything.

PS: With all these updates on unequal treaties and port openings, this just remind me that Philippines still has some protectionist policies (only allowing foreign trade in Manila (but the fact it is the capital of the nation kept the foreigners' dissatisfaction to a minimum) except for the British who are all over the archipelago), is it high time for Philippines to consider other port openings to other foreigners in order to satisfy and maintain good relations with other rising Powers in the region? (Russia, Germany, France, Dutch(?) and even Mexico (if they are stable and their navy developed enough, they could seek trade in the area, in this ATL, Mexico could take the place of US interests ever since the North American war since, they together with Britain, now controls Western Pacific). If the author consider, they could make Cebu the domestic entrepot port (like OTL) while they could open ports to foreigners in other islands (this could boost the economy of the other provinces of the nation) while keeping the Manila port in Luzon island the only one open to all foreigners.

At this point only the French can challenge navally. But even then, during OTL Cochin campaign in Vietnam, France need Philippine troops(or Filipinos under Spain).

Russia is too busy at this point. They need to bring their strength to China, which not yet possible at this point. There are changes even in China that by the time Russia is free, 3 years have passed with the Chinese new modern army.

Germany does not yet exist as unified central state yet. While the Dutch aligned too much with the French as of 1855 to even make a dent.

The Latin Americans(including Mexico) are still developing. They are still trying to catchup in education, human development. They are better than OTL but still far behind Western Europe or the United States.

Andres does not see a point opening up all ports with trade with anyone other than the British. It makes tariffs much easier to control. Theoretically, Philippines can open up, but that will open up a lot of problems like implementation, making sure the tariffs are not pocketed by local officials.

Wow the the Philippines just conquered or forced most of their neighbors into submission, looking forward to alfred’s reign tho
All hail Philippine Raj under Alfred.
Alfred's reign is going to be interesting, unlike in OTL where he rules a small duchy in Europe, in this case he's inheriting a military empire with its own set of vassal states (including a big Dragon one) and protectorates. With his natural leadership affinity for the Navy (still nascent here), well.....
Satsuma nor Japan cannot do anything about Philippines wanting Ryuku at this point. Japan is entering Bakamatsu while Philippine Navy is too powerful relative to Japan or Satsuma.
Then, Japan better get their shit together (might be for a while though). Also to note that in OTL, US reduced their participation in Japan due to the upcoming civil war, this Philippines is too stable (or is it?) and powerful enough to coerce treaties and concessions in full swing (unless they be looking south like Britain advised them to do)
At this point only the French can challenge navally. But even then, during OTL Cochin campaign in Vietnam, France need Philippine troops(or Filipinos under Spain).

Russia is too busy at this point. They need to bring their strength to China, which not yet possible at this point. There are changes even in China that by the time Russia is free, 3 years have passed with the Chinese new modern army.

Germany does not yet exist as unified central state yet. While the Dutch aligned too much with the French as of 1855 to even make a dent.

The Latin Americans(including Mexico) are still developing. They are still trying to catchup in education, human development. They are better than OTL but still far behind Western Europe or the United States.
Noted, but still to keep that in mind once we enter the 2nd half of 19th century (aka: the age of Western Colonialism/Imperialism)
1629121627520.png

That white area in Mindanao is making me nervous. Really wanted to color it aqua or red. Hoping that an in future updates, those areas better be colored beautiful red or even a nice aqua blue hahaha

Last edited:
32. Trouble in Saigon (1854-55)
32. Trouble in Saigon (1854-55)

saigoncitadel.jpg

Crusaders and Filibusters/Filibusteros capture Citadel of Saigon​

After the treaties with Philippines and Britain were concluded, the Qing government became more and more brutal with the rebels especially those who are suspected to be supporters of the Taipings. In Canton, one can see both sides of the road had headless human trunks piled up in heaps waiting to be taken away for burial. The bodies were left exposed to the burning sun. The atmosphere of a radius near two kilometers of the execution ground heavily smelled with poisonous and pestilential vapor, saturated with blood and from heaps of corpses which had been left.

The executions forced some of the 1 million people in Canton to move out and become refugees in British Hong Kong. These are not just suspects threatened by the Qing but also wealthy Chinese merchants seeking a stable environment which to run their business. This drove up rents on existing structure in Hong Kong. New arrivals-built houses, founded new training companies that made Hong Kong more vibrant than before the Qing executions.

Philippine trained Chinese armies started pushing the Taiping. There were recruitment centers in Canton, Shanghai and Tianjin. Each recruitment center goal was to arm and train 10,000 troops.

The Chinese armies were trained and led by Filipino officers. They were led by Filipino Chinese Alfonso Huang, Miguel Chan and Bernardo Lim. The new Chinese armies were very loyal to the Filipino officers. The Filipino officers took orders from Qing authorities. The Qing’s view these new Chinese armies as loyal to the Qing.

The Chinese army was armed with the Philippine surplus Santa Mesa Rifle Model 1852. The new Chinese armies had also heavy and light artillery components. Ammunition was also imported from the Philippines.

Artillerymen wore light blue uniforms with red facings and trouser stripes. Infantry wore dark green in winter dress with red facings and shoulder straps in regimental colors. In summer, all branches wore white uniforms with scarlet facings. All units wore green turbans.

Philippines will export 12-armed paddle steamers and 30 gunboats that will be used by the new Chinese army.

Ever_Victorious_Army_members.png

New Chinese Army

In 1855, the Philippines also made a treaty with King Rama IV(Mongkut) of Siam patterned after the Bowring treaty between the British and the Kingdom Siam.

King Rama IV(Mongkut) started modernizing their armies after hearing the defeat of China in 1854. Kingdom of Siam hired British and Philippine advisors to update the Siamese armies. Kingdom of Siam started importing British and Philippine weaponry. But due to distance, Philippine goods and weapons were more available than British goods and weapons.

King Mongkut also considered Philippine education system along with European education.

Thomson,_King_Mongkut_of_Siam_(crop).jpg

King Rama IV(Mongkut)​

The Imperial government in Manila, unaware of the events in Borneo, received the news that Filipinos and the Order of Saint Joseph sent a combined Filibusteros and Crusading force in Vietnam. The expedition happened while Andres and most of the army and navy was busy with his Chinese campaign. The expedition was privately financed with contribution from Catholic orders. They also hired merchant ships and armed clipper ships to aid in bombardment and transport the expedition.

The persecution and execution of Catholic missionaries in Nguyen controlled Dai Nam/Vietnam in late 1830s were totally unacceptable to devout Catholics in the Philippines. The brutality reached Manila but Emperor Andres did not do anything about it. Devout Catholics from the around the Empire contributed to the expedition. It took more than a decade to plan and finance the expedition. After being recruited in their respective islands, they were shipped to Kuching before being sent to Vietnam. Some of these Filibusters or Filibusteros were veterans of Sino-Philippine war. The goal of the expedition is to put Nguyen Phuc Hong Bao in power.

Hong Bao, who regards himself as heir presumptive of the Vietnam Empire, hope to seize the throne from his brother Emperor Tu Duc. He tried to seek the support of Catholic missionaries promising to convert Vietnam into a Catholic nation. In 1851, Hong Bao escaped to Manila with his sons and daugthers. He requested to Emperor Andres to put him in power. His requests were rejected. Supporters of Hong Bao advised Hong Bao and his family to go to Cebu.

Before the expedition, the crusaders forced Hong Bao and his family converted to convert to Catholicism.

The Crusaders and Filibusteros captured Da Nang and Saigon. They eventually abandoned Da Nang due to Crusaders unable to defend both Da Nang and Saigon. The Crusaders consolidated their positions and was currently being siege in Saigon. A 1,000 Crusader/Filibuster force was outnumbered and defending the Citadel of Saigon from 4,000 Vietnamese force. But the Crusaders had superior firepower and controlled the seas.

The Crusaders in Saigon sent messengers to the nearest Catholic power in 1855. Messengers reached Manila and begged for Andres and Imperial help. Emperor Andres, who had no plans to go to Vietnam, nor was Andres a devout Catholic nor had any love for Catholic crusaders, nor did he plan to install Hong Bao in power, contemplated if he will aid the Crusaders in Saigon…

way to end with the cliffhanger (hoping the next wait will not be long hahaha) the catholic church must have given Andres a fricking headache, 1st with the matchmaking dilemma and the anti-emperor sermons and now this? Wondering on what is Andres decision on this especially with France lurking in there somewhere.....

way to end with the cliffhanger (hoping the next wait will not be long hahaha) the catholic church must have given Andres a fricking headache, 1st with the matchmaking dilemma and the anti-emperor sermons and now this? Wondering on what is Andres decision on this especially with France lurking in there somewhere.....

The Catholic Church is depowered but still strong at this side of the world. They just dont have the total domination like OTL Luzon. They are also richer TTL. Despite Andres being anti-clerical, Philippines being richer, donations/tithes to Catholic Church in the Philippines will pour in more. They also have Borneo TTL which is larger and richer than Luzon in terms of natural resources. The end result of Andres controlling Luzon and Philippine Catholic Church being richer is this update.

The French are richer TTL and unentangled in a major war in 1855 in Europe. But they are far, at least enough soldiers that can conquer and help are far compared to Manila. However, they are within Vietnam especially the missionaries and can decide in a whim if they want to join or conquer.

Since Andres has not yet taken the protector of Catholics in Asia mantle, some nation or someone has to take it.