Empire of New Castille

24. The Silver must Flow 1824-1849

Mexican experience of American colonists was not good. They had ample experience of U.S. colonists and their potential to cause problems after the revolt in Texas.

After the North American war ended, U.S. Citizens were expelled. If they chose to stay, they had to renounce U.S. Citizenship and apply for Mexican citizenship. Those that stayed were usually first-generation European migrants who had no long history of affinity to the United States. Americans who refuse to moved were forced by the Mexican army and herded back to the United States.

View attachment 666450
John Smith’s first vision, founder of Mormonism

The Mormons were a religious group formed in 1830. They were pushed away by United Stated started moving west from Illinois were allowed to resettle newly acquired territories by Mexico. A war was fought even by Mormons and Missouri in 1838 which expelled the Mormons from Missouri. Initially these Mormons arrived in Salt Lake Valley during the North American war but will be allowed to practice their beliefs in Mexico. Mexico allowed this religious group due to their lack of loyalty to the United States and propaganda for Europe. Mexico does not allow slavery and is more tolerant to other religions than the United States. The U.S. allowed slavery and discriminates other religions. Mexico made sure to spread this information in Europe.

Veterans of the North American war were given large plots of lands acquired from the United States. Around 150,000 Mexican army veterans of mostly poor background resettled in the areas.

Catholic migrants from Europe flooded in as famine, revolts in Ireland, Spain, Italy and most Europe occurred. Their initial goal was to get to California but some of them settled on the way from Texas to California or were given a large piece arable land to settle in the newly acquired territories.

View attachment 666451
Mormon Corridor mid 19th century Mexico (OTL Kansas, Colorado, Utah)

Philippine loss of San Francisco naval base after the North American war, the squadron was reassigned to Callao district in Lima. The Andean Union welcomed the presence of the Philippine navy. Philippines was pivotal in creating Andean Union. During the War of Confederation, Philippine government and merchants aided the Peru-Bolivian Confederation and help defeat Peruvian rebels and exiles, forcing Argentina and Chile into peace in 1838. Philippine representatives supported Andres de Santa Cruz in his authoritarian union, with the people of North, South Peru and Bolivia influenced in supporting and “voting” for a unified state. The Andeans have taken some influence from the Philippines, an autocrat meritocratic system, but instead of the leader being declared by the army like in the Philippines, voted by the people.

The revival of Mexican-Philippine trade, Mexico kept investing, improved mining and continued to provide 60% of the new world silver. The Andes provided a large part of the remaining new world silver. Not stopping in Acapulco in 1824, Philippine merchant ships also went to Central and South America in the Pacific. Philippine merchants replicated the Spanish silver trade port of calls in Panama, Gran Colombia and back then Lima, Republic of Peru.

The policy of Philippines dealing with her Central and South American nations - the silver must flow.

Any stop of the trade may result into Philippine interference. This became more prominent as more and more Philippine merchant ships arrived in the 1830s. Philippine representatives brokered peace deals among Latin American nations that offered them significant trade deals, influenced stability at the South American Pacific.

Battles, wars were shelved or forced into the table by Philippine representatives.

The Philippine Navy was larger than any navy in Central and South America by 1840s. All of their navies (including the Brazilian Navy) had to combine in order to have a fighting chance versus the whole Philippine navy. Even then, the Imperial galleons were more than the Philippine navy at this part of the world. The combined Mexican, Central and South American ship of the lines were fewer than the total Imperial Galleons this side of the Pacific.

If the British can force the Philippines or influence to do their bidding, the Philippines does this with nations with weaker navies.

Imperial galleons are as armed as British first rates, manned by former navy sailors, accompanied by fast armed clipper ships. With the transfer of the San Francisco squadron to Lima, there was even more reason not to anger the Sealion.

Spanish American revolts influenced Andres Novales revolt in the Philippines. However, the influence was never one way. The revival of trade between former colonies of Spain in Asia and the Americas, news spread of an enlightened absolute monarch in the Philippines. This leader does not spend money on elaborate things but spend a lot to provide for his people; News of a stable, orderly, literate, wealthy, developing Spanish speaking nation. Policies of the Philippines that were successful influenced a lot of South American policies. Stories of the conquest of Borneo, the battles in China and defeat of United States spread in these Spanish speaking nations.

With Spain always embroiled in a civil war and shrinking navy, these Hispanic nations looked for inspiration. Mexico’s defeat of United States, Mexico was favored by more democratic Latin American nations and nations with ambitions to have a large army. Philippine meritocratic policies and practice were also favored by Latin American autocrats or ambitious nations who want a strong navy. There was a template of Hispanic democracy and Hispanic autocracy - Mexican idealism and creativity versus Philippine pragmatism and efficiency.

Mexico and Philippines also competed for influence. Most of Central America was influenced by Mexico while those that had a large silver to trade with Philippines and port, Philippines had more influence.

Andresian virtues were being emulated by a section of Hispanics in Latin America - Discipline, love of law and order, punctuality. Even British tourists attest to Andresian efficiency. “The trains in Cebu runs on time. Customs man is quick, Hotels and water works are clean.”

Philippine culture of more equal female treatment starts to creep in these influenced nations. Anti-clerical nature of the Philippines also influenced some Latin American policies. Latin American governments debated if they were to implement a more Philippine style public education including agriculture and more military work ethic among their pupils. Philippine policy of open migration for the Chinese and frequency of Philippine ships that can carry Chinese migrants increased the Chinese migration in the Latin Pacific, from Mexican California down to the Andean union.

Large Tax funded public education became a common sight among Hispanic nations in the Pacific. Philippines even encouraged the Latin Americans to put a large amount in education starting in 1840s, discourage funding in the navy, to prevent any challenge of Philippine supremacy in the seas within the Hispanic world.

View attachment 666453
Independent South American Nations

The U.S. loss during the North American war, the United States was looking for more friendly nations. The U.S. was surrounded by British North America and Mexico. By 1849, U.S. influence and investments increased in Gran Colombia. Slowly, Gran Colombia gravitated away from the influence of the Philippines and Mexico.
Now these are the butterfly influences I've been waiting for (Its still South America but its a start). So Philippines rules the waves on this side of the Pacific. May I ask the statistics of the navies around this time? I find it interesting that Philippines can overwhelm the combined navies of Mexico, Central & South America.

I also find it interesting that Andresian traits is quite strong already. I was expecting it 2-3 generation of Filipinos later. This is because Andresian culture traits is largely influenced by public mass education. But then Filipinos are also very family oriented and respects seniority (a norm in Asian countries). Filipinos that grew up under the mass public education will have the disciplined traits but they are also largely influenced by their parents and extended families (and the contrast will be glaring, a strict ethos at school/work and easy going lifestyle at home). And these parents and older family member most likely have the OTL Spanish traits (and even though they also took the Andres-certified mass education in their later years, their traits had already been solidified and harder to influence, then pass it down to their children). So 1st generation Filipinos (child Filipinos who grew up with the mass education system, I'm not counting the adults (see above reasons) will have the developing "Andresian" traits but yet full blown, it'll be the next generation whose parents grew up under the mass education who will have the stronger Andresian traits

Unless the mass education of Andres also included "forced" boarding of students in their schoolage to teenage years ....I just think 1840s is just too early for Andresian traits to really pierce the culture & work environment of the Philippines. (Believable if its already 1860-1880s where these Andresian children are parents who already have children in the productive force)

Another thing I wanna ask, is the Pacific silver trade a state monopoly? (like the British with their East indies Trading Company). Cause I imagined some economically-savvy private Philippine elites wanting a piece of that (and they will be more efficient and more successful in getting what they want because yeah, meritocracy). I really find it really interesting because there will be a different kind of elite who will grow out of this because:

1. There a strong revival trade between Philippines and Latin America which may grow to other kinds of trade (OTL, the silver and silk in the Galleon trade weren't the only ones being traded, but these items are the most sought after) and other elites can capitalize on that. International trade between them also favors Philippines/Britain because they control the Pacific together (unlike OTL, where America is gaining presence on the west coast and is eyeing beyond the Pacific)

2. there is less rise of landed/agricultural elite (they only grew more in OTL because of the focus of whole Philippines' transition to cash crops)

Last edited:
Now these are the butterfly influences I've been waiting for (Its still South America but its a start). So Philippines rules the waves on this side of the Pacific. May I ask the statistics of the navies around this time? I find it interesting that Philippines can overwhelm the combined navies of Mexico, Central & South America.

my source is Navies of the world 1835-1840 by John Houghton.

Brazil 1 Ship of the line, 8 frigates - Ship of the line 80 guns
Argentina got about 5 frigates
Chile got about 3 frigates, 1 ship of the line, Ship of the line-64
Colombia's got 3 Ship of the lines, 1 74 gun, 2 62-gun
Mexican Navy got 1 Ship of the line 1 frigate, ship of the line is 64-gun
Peru's got 2 frigates

as of 1840 US intelligence, Philippines got 4 Ships of the line, which are 74 gun, 16 frigates 44 gun.
While I haven't put the number of Imperial galleons which 120 guns, size of First rates. A dozen or more(I haven't figured a number thats why I kept numbers out) since these are merchant ships can pay for upkeep on their own.

I also find it interesting that Andresian traits is quite strong already. I was expecting it 2-3 generation of Filipinos later. This is because Andresian culture traits is largely influenced by public mass education. But then Filipinos are also very family oriented and respects seniority (a norm in Asian countries). Filipinos that grew up under the mass public education will have the disciplined traits but they are also largely influenced by their parents and extended families (and the contrast will be glaring, a strict ethos at school/work and easy going lifestyle at home). And these parents and older family member most likely have the OTL Spanish traits (and even though they also took the Andres-certified mass education in their later years, their traits had already been solidified and harder to influence, then pass it down to their children). So 1st generation Filipinos (child Filipinos who grew up with the mass education system, I'm not counting the adults (see above reasons) will have the developing "Andresian" traits but yet full blown, it'll be the next generation whose parents grew up under the mass education who will have the stronger Andresian traits

Unless the mass education of Andres also included "forced" boarding of students in their schoolage to teenage years ....I just think 1840s is just too early for Andresian traits to really pierce the culture & work environment of the Philippines. (Believable if its already 1860-1880s where these Andresian children are parents who already have children in the productive force)
Andresians are the ones exposed in the international arena. Not majority of the Filipinos.

They are still minority in the Philippines but they are the educated, in governance. I patterned this with Filipino migrants in OTL. Filipino born parents migrate to either Europe, Singapore or USA. You will be Filipino inside your house but outside you are forced to follow rules. This is caused by the government. For example a typical Filipino will not follow stop lights nor walk on the pedestrian lane, but will do that in Singapore, Europe or USA. Even if you got Filipino migrant parents, and work for either Singapore government and US government, you cannot bring that Filipino bad culture with you since rules aren't as relaxed.

In TTL Philippines a simple mistake like you throw a trash you can either be fired or worse sent to prison or forced labor. Or take a siesta during work, or things aren't on time. Andres does not run OTL Philippine type of governance. Rails, Customs, water, these are all government. While the Rails being Run by the British, good luck not following British trying to make an excuse on Filipino work culture. If you aren't on time, the British will lose money.

In merchant ship or naval ship, I mean the captain can throw you to the brig or worse throw you to the sea.

Another thing I wanna ask, is the Pacific silver trade a state monopoly? (like the British with their East indies Trading Company). Cause I imagined some economically-savvy private Philippine elites wanting a piece of that (and they will be more efficient and more successful in getting what they want because yeah, meritocracy). I really find it really interesting because there will be a different kind of elite who will grow out of this because:
Not a monopoly. But the British and Philippines got a lot of merchant ships and got the largest navy presence. Philippines took over Spain's trade routes, and considered as status quo just like the British.

1. There a strong revival trade between Philippines and Latin America which may grow to other kinds of trade (OTL, the silver and silk in the Galleon trade weren't the only ones being traded, but these items are the most sought after) and other elites can capitalize on that. International trade between them also favors Philippines/Britain because they control the Pacific together (unlike OTL, where America is gaining presence on the west coast and is eyeing beyond the Pacific)

2. there is less rise of landed/agricultural elite (they only grew more in OTL because of the focus of whole Philippines' transition to cash crops)
The agriculture elite still exists outside Luzon, Cebu and Bohol. Philippine development(social, economic, cultural) isn't homogenous.

Any elite position isn't permanent in the Imperial government or business in Luzon, Cebu or Bohol requires some form of merit to keep being elite. You can fall down the top anytime.

Business elites in Andresian areas may have influence but they have to follow laws of the Empire and certain degree of order. If not, they will be treated like the Catholic church who had influence, land and power. Remember the Palmeros, in power, rich/business, friends with Emperor, still ended up in labor camps.

Andresians are the ones exposed in the international arena. Not majority of the Filipinos.

They are still minority in the Philippines but they are the educated, in governance. I patterned this with Filipino migrants in OTL. Filipino born parents migrate to either Europe, Singapore or USA. You will be Filipino inside your house but outside you are forced to follow rules. This is caused by the government. For example a typical Filipino will not follow stop lights nor walk on the pedestrian lane, but will do that in Singapore, Europe or USA. Even if you got Filipino migrant parents, and work for either Singapore government and US government, you cannot bring that Filipino bad culture with you since rules aren't as relaxed.

In TTL Philippines a simple mistake like you throw a trash you can either be fired or worse sent to prison or forced labor. Or take a siesta during work, or things aren't on time. Andres does not run OTL Philippine type of governance. Rails, Customs, water, these are all government. While the Rails being Run by the British, good luck not following British trying to make an excuse on Filipino work culture. If you aren't on time, the British will lose money.

In merchant ship or naval ship, I mean the captain can throw you to the brig or worse throw you to the sea.
Alright, so what I understand is that Andresians are still the minority by this time and that their traits are still developing into the majority culture.

But still, easy going, more or less, undisciplined Filipinos are still the norm but they REALLY have to follow the government rules lest they face consequences. So, its not really the inner traits stereotype traits yet (but slowly developing) but more on the environment (the government). And so they are disciplined on the outside. With how Andres is managing the country (like an absolutist but disciplined character, chosen by army), how big is the chance that Philippines may turn into a militaristic/police state? (like in the likes of OTL Germany and Japan in WW2) Cuz, that's how I see Philippines turning into that with Andres leading it (at least in directly controlled areas). I hope this is an issue in the future updates (bites them back later).

The population is smaller too and so that helps in managing the people's tendency for unruly ways. If Andres stays in power and his policies endures, future generations (the masses mostly) of Filipinos would be more disciplined, meritocratic, frugal, strict, loyal to the state/nation but less liberal, less hospitable and less friendly.....like OTL Japan before ww2?

Alright, so what I understand is that Andresians are still the minority by this time and that their traits are still developing into the majority culture.

But still, easy going, more or less, undisciplined Filipinos are still the norm but they REALLY have to follow the government rules lest they face consequences. So, its not really the inner traits stereotype traits yet (but slowly developing) but more on the environment (the government). And so they are disciplined on the outside. With how Andres is managing the country (like an absolutist but disciplined character, chosen by army), how big is the chance that Philippines may turn into a militaristic/police state? (like in the likes of OTL Germany and Japan in WW2) Cuz, that's how I see Philippines turning into that with Andres leading it (at least in directly controlled areas). I hope this is an issue in the future updates (bites them back later).

The population is smaller too and so that helps in managing the people's tendency for unruly ways. If Andres stays in power and his policies endures, future generations (the masses mostly) of Filipinos would be more disciplined, meritocratic, frugal, strict, loyal to the state/nation but less liberal, less hospitable and less friendly.....like OTL Japan before ww2?

it is a military/police state equivalent present day.

In school, pupils are punished hard(physically hitting based on the education update), trained like a military boarding school.

Punishment is severe. Streets are kept clean, Squatters and vagrants are thrown either thru a workshop or prison work/labor camps.

The view of Latin Americans and British is that all Filipinos are like that. But they do not see the lack of discipline, or the other Philippine culture beyond what they see. It is more of a stereotype.

The Andresians already got more than 20 years of being disciplined. Everyone else has not been lucky getting a public school education or hospital/clinic or fresh clean water. There is still a lot of OTL Philippines left since beyond Luzon, Cebu and Bohol, they are still like OTL Filipinos. And OTL Filipinos also encompass people in Borneo TTL.

Culture wise or in governance, Andresians are a bit different than Imperial Japan and Imperial Germany that there is no hereditary considerations in governance, not even the Philippine emperor, not yet. Imperial Japan got the Kazoku which is more of hereditary succession. Imperial Germans got Junkers and nobles.

Not a monopoly. But the British and Philippines got a lot of merchant ships and got the largest navy presence. Philippines took over Spain's trade routes, and considered as status quo just like the British.
Ok noted on the non monopoly....though I meant by monopoly of the pacfic silver trade is in regards to Philippines. Is Andres Novales and his government are the ones only allowed to trade (nationilizing the trade) or are there private Filipino businessmen allowed to trade as well? I was wondering about because I assumed the Imperial Galleon merchant ships are clearly goverment owned (I had this image since they can be armed at a moments notice under the orders of the emperor) and they carry the bulk of the trade.
The agriculture elite still exists outside Luzon, Cebu and Bohol. Philippine development(social, economic, cultural) isn't homogenous.

Any elite position isn't permanent in the Imperial government or business in Luzon, Cebu or Bohol requires some form of merit to keep being elite. You can fall down the top anytime.

Business elites in Andresian areas may have influence but they have to follow laws of the Empire and certain degree of order. If not, they will be treated like the Catholic church who had influence, land and power. Remember the Palmeros, in power, rich/business, friends with Emperor, still ended up in labor camps.
True, true that's why I asid less growth of agriculture elite nationwide (OTL affected the whole Philippines; this ATL, only the agricultural elite in less directly controlled areas are growing rapidly). In the directly controlled areas, due to developing industrialization and urbanization, there would be a nascent growth of the industrial elite who have the Andresian traits c/o of Andres-certified education (and since industrial elite are quite new, their population are usually the nouveau riche or old rich families transfering to urban cities) compared to the agrcultural elite who are likely to have OTL traits.

And its 1849 already, closer to OTL Japan's opening hahaha (Don't mind me, I'm just fixated on Japan and also China because these two are most likely the biggest competitors of Philippines, Philippines' neighbors and thus countries which are directly in the Philippine sphere of influence).

Though I'll still be waiting for Europe and Issue update haha. Watched.

Ok noted on the non monopoly....though I meant by monopoly of the pacfic silver trade is in regards to Philippines. Is Andres Novales and his government are the ones only allowed to trade (nationilizing the trade) or are there private Filipino businessmen allowed to trade as well? I was wondering about because I assumed the Imperial Galleon merchant ships are clearly goverment owned (I had this image since they can be armed at a moments notice under the orders of the emperor) and they carry the bulk of the trade.
TTL Philippines anyone, private or government, can trade. Monopoly was thrown out for privatization or mix government, private business. But the government also does also trading since initially the silver trade was jump started by them.

True, true that's why I asid less growth of agriculture elite nationwide (OTL affected the whole Philippines; this ATL, only the agricultural elite in less directly controlled areas are growing rapidly). In the directly controlled areas, due to developing industrialization and urbanization, there would be a nascent growth of the industrial elite who have the Andresian traits c/o of Andres-certified education (and since industrial elite are quite new, their population are usually the nouveau riche or old rich families transfering to urban cities) compared to the agrcultural elite who are likely to have OTL traits.

And its 1849 already, closer to OTL Japan's opening hahaha (Don't mind me, I'm just fixated on Japan and also China because these two are most likely the biggest competitors of Philippines, Philippines' neighbors and thus countries which are directly in the Philippine sphere of influence).

Though I'll still be waiting for Europe and Issue update haha. Watched.
Japan and China are not yet competitors. Too far down the line.

One needs to open them up first. Even in OTL 1849, China refused to modernize despite being beaten down by Britain in OTL First opium war. And it took more than 40 years of modernization for Japan, and naval overspending, to even beat Russia while Russian navy degraded.

But due to the result of North American war, USA would have less impact in the Pacific including with China and Japan. Commodore Perry wont be going down this side of the Pacific unless they want to be harassed by the Royal navy and Philippine navy. Cape Horn is controlled by the British. The canal in Mexico once completed would be British controlled. British and Mexico wont allow them to pass. Imagine how tense the Mexicans would be if a U.S. fleet pass inside Mexico.

Japan and China are not yet competitors. Too far down the line.

One needs to open them up first. Even in OTL 1849, China refused to modernize despite being beaten down by Britain in OTL First opium war. And it took more than 40 years of modernization for Japan, and naval overspending, to even beat Russia while Russian navy degraded.

But due to the result of North American war, USA would have less impact in the Pacific including with China and Japan. Commodore Perry wont be going down this side of the Pacific unless they want to be harassed by the Royal navy and Philippine navy. Cape Horn is controlled by the British. The canal in Mexico once completed would be British controlled. British and Mexico wont allow them to pass. Imagine how tense the Mexicans would be if a U.S. fleet pass inside Mexico.
Future competitors then...that future potential and how it develops in this ATL (as OTL shows) is with right within Philippine's sphere of influence (which means that Phil will keep an eye on them once these 2 start developing down the line). Excited on how Philippine reacts because unlike in OTL, where it was under Spain and later America, this ATL Philippines is free, independent and is the regional naval power of SEA together with Britain.

With greater Chinese immigration and the egalitarian attitude of the government, I could only see the Philippine government being incredulous of the Racialist theories springing up in Europe. While the tandem certainly defeated the Qing, the Asian Latinos still had Chinese and other non-Christian and non-Hispanic elements in its ranks being largely competent. Mexico being the superpower would only help in that endeavour too.

With that, how has the British establishment reacted on all these developments? It would certainly be a factor in the upcoming mutiny in India.

For the more trivial matters though:

- Where has the Ifugao peoples resettled, Pangasinan? I fear that it would cause the Banaue Rice Terraces to fall into disrepair. Here's hoping that the Chinese immigrants could preserve it with their own expertise.
- What has happened on the Aeta and other indigenous populations in Luzon considering that the water management programs may do a quite a number on the rivers they live on.
- How has the Muslim minority in Quiapo faring in resisting the Catholic matchmaking system, especially with the legal protections given by the Andresano system?

I hope that the gamerestado would survive the challenges of the upcoming decades.

Edit: I also don't believe that the native cultures and the caste system would entirely disappear in the Andresano areas. Instead, it will be a more informal set-up similar to Japan's distinction of "middle class kazoku" and Burakumin areas. The people would be predilected to speak and write in Tagalog and other native languages in at least some (for me, quite a handsome majority of) areas of those Hispanised regions, taking pride in the familial/caste language and identities on their districts. By that, I doubt that Tagalog, Pampango, Cebuano, and even Bikol literature and poetry wouldn't flourish before being supposedly snuffed out by Spanish since I couldn't see the egalitarian emperor being that malicious outside of the boarding schools.

Last edited:
Future competitors then...that future potential and how it develops in this ATL (as OTL shows) is with right within Philippine's sphere of influence (which means that Phil will keep an eye on them once these 2 start developing down the line). Excited on how Philippine reacts because unlike in OTL, where it was under Spain and later America, this ATL Philippines is free, independent and is the regional naval power of SEA together with Britain.
to be determined. we need to settle first a lot of issues europe americas even in the philippines.

I got 5 chapters up on the line near final draft. None of them deals with japan directly yet. Probably do 2 updates per week then slowdown to 1 per week after 1860s.

With greater Chinese immigration and the egalitarian attitude of the government, I could only see the Philippine government being incredulous of the Racialist theories springing up in Europe. While the tandem certainly defeated the Qing, the Asian Latinos still had Chinese and other non-Christian and non-Hispanic elements in its ranks being largely competent. Mexico being the superpower would only help in that endeavour too.
Chinese migration Increase is apparent in the Philippines and Mexico and Andean Union(OTL Peru and Bolivia). Europe is a bit harder to influence than Latin Americas since most of the Hispanic nations was independent roughly the same time as the Philippines. The demographic base of most of Latin America was smaller than the Philippines minus Mexico and Brazil from PoD. European monarchies are too established that influence and changes are mostly about them at this point in time.

Even if Mexico won, got Texas and California. Mexico has a lot of catching up to do.

United States industrial centers are still under their control. Western USA, Texas and California is what pushed them to superpower status.

With that, how has the British establishment reacted on all these developments? It would certainly be a factor in the upcoming mutiny in India.
I haven't update revolts on Europe yet. British reaction on Philippine independence is the same reaction to any former Spanish colony. Take them all into the British informal empire.

For the more trivial matters though:

- Where has the Ifugao peoples resettled, Pangasinan? I fear that it would cause the Banaue Rice Terraces to fall into disrepair. Here's hoping that the Chinese immigrants could preserve it with their own expertise.
Igorots or the natives in Cordilleras are too small to matter they have to either adapt culturally if they live in Luzon as Andresians or if they were resistant/survive the war thrown into labor camps. General Ruiz and Andres committed genocide. I initially plan to bring in Europeans in Cordilleras but hit a snag on tropical disease death rates of Europeans during this time period. So the Gurkhas will replacing the Europeans and the Igorots in the area.

- What has happened on the Aeta and other indigenous populations in Luzon considering that the water management programs may do a quite a number on the rivers they live on.
You are right I have not cover that yet. Just like Igorots in Luzon, they will be either killed or thrown to labor camps or forced to assimilate in orphanages, social workshop, public school. Less developed islands Aetas or Negritos will survive culturally due to lack of development. But the Aetas racially will survive in Luzon if they start marrying into other Filipinos in Luzon or follow imperial law as an Aeta couple.

- How has the Muslim minority in Quiapo faring in resisting the Catholic matchmaking system, especially with the legal protections given by the Andresano system?
Everybody has to follow the rules. Muslims who follow are flourishing. Muslim Philippine citizens will have the same opportunities as European migrant or Chinese migrant. Those Muslims who are not following Imperial rules will end up like any other Catholic troublemaker, forced labor camps.

I hope that the gamerestado would survive the challenges of the upcoming decades.

Edit: I also don't believe that the native cultures and the caste system would entirely disappear in the Andresano areas. Instead, it will be a more informal set-up similar to Japan's distinction of "middle class kazoku" and Burakumin areas. The people would be predilected to speak and write in Tagalog and other native languages in at least some (for me, quite a handsome majority of) areas of those Hispanised regions, taking pride in the familial/caste language and identities on their districts. By that, I doubt that Tagalog, Pampango, Cebuano, and even Bikol literature and poetry wouldn't flourish before being supposedly snuffed out by Spanish since I couldn't see the egalitarian emperor being that malicious outside of the boarding schools.
Gradual disappearance in areas that are heavily implemented by Imperials. Slowly due to lack of use and government support.

All tagalog and cebuano. Tagalogs, Cebuano, Pampango, and Bikol language still exist in 1848 but they are gradually shrinking in native speakers. The first generation who had no Spanish education still are fluent in native languages. Those second generation who are their children but got Spanish education is like your typical children of Filipino migrants in the USA speaking fluent English, but not formally educated in local Filipino languages but can understand and speak local Filipino languages but their native language would be Spanish. If you remove these children from their parents house/parents die, they will still understand it but will lack practice nor will have any affinity with the native language. Remember the Average lifespan during this time period is ages 40-50 for an ordinary person. In 1848, even Andres who was 23 in PoD is already old for 1848. So passing, creating local literature will be difficult due to time and lack of support.

The pattern of gradual disappearance patterns Mexico in OTL. Mexico started public education like OTL in 1833, Philippines TTL in 1823. Philippines with a population of 2M vs Mexico 6.5m as of POD.

And the area in question of Philippines is not even the whole Philippines but Luzon, Cebu and Bohol islands with a population roughly around 1M, with estimated half of that children. Those areas in question dont even have a million speakers for each dialect/language. They also have to speak in common with the migrants like Chinese and Gurkhas which is Spanish. Or Government, newspapers and business is conducted in Spanish not the native languages.

A lot of local native literature were not written yet due to PoD. Local language newspapers like Tagalog only happened late in the 19th century OTL. Issue is education. In order to learn the local language formally you have to learn Spanish like tagalog vocabulary the Spanish wrote in 1754. Then, you have to write a book for it, which show some interest to fund it privately. The old batch of Filipinos may fund it privately but since our base is 500k or below divided that to each local language in Luzon and Cebu, you get an idea how many people will support this. Compare that to OTL late 19th century wherein local languages had 3M or more speakers for Luzon and Cebu languages with the Spanish not even educating the whole populace.

I have an update around 4 updates from now slightly explaining it.

Last edited:
Well, that makes sense then; still, it's sad to see those languages become but a topic in the study of Austronesian languages. It's also ironic to see the island that has prided itself in its Hispanic heritage, Panay, to be one of the most "native" areas of this country.

When will we see the empire's second colonial expansion though?

Well, that makes sense then; still, it's sad to see those languages become but a topic in the study of Austronesian languages. It's also ironic to see the island that has prided itself in its Hispanic heritage, Panay, to be one of the most "native" areas of this country.

When will we see the empire's second colonial expansion though?
Expansion tied on needs and situation of the empire.

Cordilleras had a lot of precious metals in 1820s that the empire needed. Borneo had a lot of precious and stones all over in 1830s. China TTL Opium war had cash/silver.

I have to give updates on the need of the empire to justify expansion. I believe I have one update briefly talks about need of the empire 4 updates from now.

25. Duke of Reichstadt 1830-1850

nap2ausuni.jpg

Thanks @Earl Marshal and @Basileus_Komnenos for your respective advice​

In 1830, the Carbonari in Italy took part of the July Revolution in France against King Charles X. The Carbonari were a secret society of revolutionaries. The revolt spread across Northern Italy with the most important capture was Parma and the Duchess of Parma in 1831. The Duchess of Parma, Maria Louise was the daughter of Emperor Francis of Austria. Emperor Francis had to dispatch an army of Lombardy Venetia to Parma. The Duchess’ son, grandson to the emperor of Austria, appealed to the emperor if he can join the army and saved her mother. Against the advice of Austrian Chancellor Klemens von Mettenrich, Emperor Francis agreed to the request of his grandson, Duke Reichstadt, Franz as known in the Austrian court.[1]

During Franz first battle, he was believed to be shot as he fell down with his horse. By the end of the battle, Franz body could not be found. He was reported dead to Vienna until rumors that he had joined his cousin in Switzerland.

Franz and his cousin, Louis, enrolled in the Swiss army. Both acquired Swiss citizenships but were allowed to keep their respective citizenships.

By 1836, having found out that Vienna was in pursuit of Franz, both Franz and his cousin left Switzerland.

Louis went first to Brazil and then to the United States. Louis met several businessmen and politicians from New York to Washington D.C. to gather support for his cousin. Louis then stayed at his uncle Joseph's estate, Point Breeze in Bordentown, New Jersey. Louis eventually joined his cousin in London in 1838.

Franz did not go with Louis to his trip to Americas. Instead, he went to Britain. Franz was welcomed by the British government and charmed the British public. Franz was tall, intelligent, handsome and charming. Every female London socialite swooned over Franz. Everyone even noticed how Queen Victoria was excited and giggled whenever she conversed with Franz especially before her marriage.

Franz slowly convinced British support while he kept in touch from his supporters in France.

Not until 1848 did Franz have a chance. Revolutions across Europe spread from France.

The French have revolted against their King, Louis Philippe I, who abdicated in February 1848 quickly leaving Paris.

The government replacing the French monarchy were republicans and socialists who were incompetent and corrupt. Paris was again in revolt against the republican government.

Franz, hearing the news of the revolt versus King Louis Philippe and another revolt in Paris vs the republican government, gathered his supporters left Britain and landed in France. The republican government hearing of Franz’s landing sent an army to deal with Franz. However, the army instead swore allegiance to him and declared him Emperor. Each army that was sent to him by the Republican government swore loyalty to him until Franz’s army swelled.

With the collapse and failure of the republican government, the support of the people and army, by end of 1848, Franz or Napoleon Francois Bonaparte, the only legitimate son of Napoleon I, was crowned Emperor of France. Instead of plebiscite to become president, he introduced a plebiscite to become emperor, which he won convincingly. This belief of winning the emperor thru plebiscite, Napoleonic ideas, was published in several editions two published in Switzerland in 1833 and 1834, and another in London 1839 that he coauthored with his cousin Louis. Napoleonic Ideas written by Franz and Louis uses universal suffrage as a monarch. It is a monarchy which procures the advantages of a republic without the weaknesses, free from anarchy and despotism.

nap2emp.png

Napoleon Francois Bonaparte(Franz), Napoleon II, Emperor of the French

In Poland, Revolts spread across the three nations in control of Polish territories. The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was divided by between Kingdom of Prussia, Russian empire and Austrian Empire.

Prussia sent troops to quell the rebellion in their side, Grand Duchy of Posen but was not successful in March 1848. People in the Kingdom of Poland and Grand Duchy of Lithuania revolted against the Russian Empire. The revolt was fierce. Both Prussia and Russia took more than year that tied the manpower and resources to crush the rebellion in areas controlled by Russia and Prussia. On the other hand, the Austrians had no manpower to stop these rebellions and had to rely on the Russians and Prussians to pacify the Polish and Ruthenian rebels. [2]

The Austrian Empire did not fare any better with these revolts. Multiple revolts sprang on each part of her empire. There was a Polish uprising in Austrian Galicia, Slovak revolt, Serb revolt, Hungarian resistance and then revolt, Italian revolt and a revolt was happening in Vienna.

Initially, the Austrian armies in Italy were successful versus the Italian rebels and Kingdom of Sardinia and Piedmont. However, the Austrian army was beaten in Hungary. [3]

By the end of 1848, Sardinia was pushing back the Austrians to Venice, while the streets of Rome filled an uprising. Pope Pius IX had to leave Rome disguised as an ordinary priest and went to the Kingdom of Two Sicilies.

Chancellor Metternich was forced to resign early 1848. The uncle of Franz, now Emperor Ferdinand was forced to abdicate after 13 years of rule. His brother Archduke Franz Karl was urged to renounce his right by his wife, Princess Sophie, and Prince Felix in favor of his son, Franz Joseph. They were all in danger as the Hungarian army approached Vienna in 1849.

In 1849, Napoleon II, also King of the Romans, sent a French army to restore order in Papal States and reinstall the Pope. The Spanish and Neapolitans also sent aid to the Pope. The French, Spanish Neapolitans reinstalled the Pope’s control inside Papal lands. The French army continued restoring their respective monarchs in central Italy and eventually aided the Austrians.

In 1848, revolts occurred in Grand Duchy of Baden. There was a resurgence of revolt in 1849. Baden requested aid from neighboring states including France. Napoleon II responded and restored order in the Grand Duchy. Napoleon II also restored order in Bavarian Palatine or Bavarian Rhine.

Napoleon II receiving the passionate plea of Princess Sophie rushed his army to Vienna to save his cousins and his very close friend Princess Sophie. Princess Sophie sent letters to Napoleon II passionately asking for help. She also requested his son, Emperor Franz Joseph, to ask help from his cousin Napoleon II. During Napoleon II’s life in the Austrian court, his grandfather then Francis I, treated him like a son. He also a had very close relationship with Princess Sophie. There are rumors that Princess Sophie and Napoleon II had an affair, or that Franz Joseph was Napoleon II’s son. [4]

800px-Stieler_Archduchess_1832.jpg

Princess Sophie, Archduchess of Austria, very close friend of Napoleon II

Napoleon II’s armies forced the Sardinians and Hungarians into negotiations. He convinced the Hungarians to come to terms rather than fight a battle.

Hungary was to be independent ruling all of St. Stephen’s lands. Kingdom of Lombardia and Venetia will also be independent. However, sons of Princess Sophie will rule all of the former Hapsburg Empire. Franz Joseph will rule Vienna, Maximilian in Hungary, Karl Ludwig in Lombardia and Venetia.

After restoring the Italian monarchs, there was a conference in Rome by the head of state or representatives of Italian states. It was suggested to make the pope head of state of a unified Italian state. It was rejected by most Italian states and the Italians will reconvened in another session. The Neo-Guelphists, a movement that supported Pope as head of state, started by Vincezno Gioberti, and their supporters (which includes the Pope’s ministers) convinced Pope Pius IX of the idea instead of a unified state would be a confederation with the Pope as Head of the Confederation. Then, Neo-Guelphists convinced the Pope to recognize or crown Napoleon II as King of the Romans in order to get the support from France. This would make Napoleon II a member of the confederation. Kingdom of Lombardia and Venetia, Duchy of Parma, Papal states agrees with Napoleon II’s membership. Duchy of Modena and Grand Duchy of Tuscany were convinced as well. Kingdom of Sardinia eventually agreed. The Kingdom of Two Sicilies who lacked any interest of Italian unification did not attend the conference.

In 1850, Napoleon II, Emperor of France, was crowned King of the Romans by Pope Pius IX, member and protector of the Papal Confederation.

The restoration of monarchies in Italy, Pope and pacifying German monarchies, retaining Hapsburg control in former Austrian Empire lands earned Napoleon II the popular nickname among European nobility and clergy as the Gendarme of Europe. [5]

cropped2ndeurope.png

[1] OTL Duchess of Parma was not captured by the Carbonari; OTL Franz was not allowed to join the Austrian armies in Italy with Franz being healthy; In OTL he contracted tuberculosis died in 1832

[2] Larger Polish revolt TTL compared to OTL; combination of OTL 1848 revolts in Posen, November Uprising by Congress of Poland in 1831. TTL November uprising never happened in 1831

[3] Hungarians OTL were beaten by Austrian armies; TTL Hungary wins all major battles 1849, no Russian request for help or intervention in Hungary

[4] Austria in OTL asked for Russian help. TTL due to Sophie and Franz being alive, they asked for Franz help instead

[5] This title in OTL was given to Nicholas I of Russia; But the Russians were limited in Poland and Danubian principalities TTL

View attachment 667252
Thanks @Earl Marshal and @Basileus_Komnenos for your respective advice​

In 1830, the Carbonari in Italy took part of the July Revolution in France against King Charles X. The Carbonari were a secret society of revolutionaries. The revolt spread across Northern Italy with the most important capture was Parma and the Duchess of Parma in 1831. The Duchess of Parma, Maria Louise was the daughter of Emperor Francis of Austria. Emperor Francis had to dispatch an army of Lombardy Venetia to Parma. The Duchess’ son, grandson to the emperor of Austria, appealed to the emperor if he can join the army and saved her mother. Against the advice of Austrian Chancellor Klemens von Mettenrich, Emperor Francis agreed to the request of his grandson, Duke Reichstadt, Franz as known in the Austrian court.[1]

During Franz first battle, he was believed to be shot as he fell down with his horse. By the end of the battle, Franz body could not be found. He was reported dead to Vienna until rumors that he had joined his cousin in Switzerland.

Franz and his cousin, Louis, enrolled in the Swiss army. Both acquired Swiss citizenships but were allowed to keep their respective citizenships.

By 1836, having found out that Vienna was in pursuit of Franz, both Franz and his cousin left Switzerland.

Louis went first to Brazil and then to the United States. Louis met several businessmen and politicians from New York to Washington D.C. to gather support for his cousin. Louis then stayed at his uncle Joseph's estate, Point Breeze in Bordentown, New Jersey. Louis eventually joined his cousin in London in 1838.

Franz did not go with Louis to his trip to Americas. Instead, he went to Britain. Franz was welcomed by the British government and charmed the British public. Franz was tall, intelligent, handsome and charming. Every female London socialite swooned over Franz. Everyone even noticed how Queen Victoria was excited and giggled whenever she conversed with Franz especially before her marriage.

Franz slowly convinced British support while he kept in touch from his supporters in France.

Not until 1848 did Franz have a chance. Revolutions across Europe spread from France.

The French have revolted against their King, Louis Philippe I, who abdicated in February 1848 quickly leaving Paris.

The government replacing the French monarchy were republicans and socialists who were incompetent and corrupt. Paris was again in revolt against the republican government.

Franz, hearing the news of the revolt versus King Louis Philippe and another revolt in Paris vs the republican government, gathered his supporters left Britain and landed in France. The republican government hearing of Franz’s landing sent an army to deal with Franz. However, the army instead swore allegiance to him and declared him Emperor. Each army that was sent to him by the Republican government swore loyalty to him until Franz’s army swelled.

With the collapse and failure of the republican government, the support of the people and army, by end of 1848, Franz or Napoleon Francois Bonaparte, the only legitimate son of Napoleon I, was crowned Emperor of France. Instead of plebiscite to become president, he introduced a plebiscite to become emperor, which he won convincingly. This belief of winning the emperor thru plebiscite, Napoleonic ideas, was published in several editions two published in Switzerland in 1833 and 1834, and another in London 1839 that he coauthored with his cousin Louis. Napoleonic Ideas written by Franz and Louis uses universal suffrage as a monarch. It is a monarchy which procures the advantages of a republic without the weaknesses, free from anarchy and despotism.

View attachment 667254
Napoleon Francois Bonaparte(Franz), Napoleon II, Emperor of the French

In Poland, Revolts spread across the three nations in control of Polish territories. The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was divided by between Kingdom of Prussia, Russian empire and Austrian Empire.

Prussia sent troops to quell the rebellion in their side, Grand Duchy of Posen but was not successful in March 1848. People in the Kingdom of Poland and Grand Duchy of Lithuania revolted against the Russian Empire. The revolt was fierce. Both Prussia and Russia took more than year that tied the manpower and resources to crush the rebellion in areas controlled by Russia and Prussia. On the other hand, the Austrians had no manpower to stop these rebellions and had to rely on the Russians and Prussians to pacify the Polish and Ruthenian rebels. [2]

The Austrian Empire did not fare any better with these revolts. Multiple revolts sprang on each part of her empire. There was a Polish uprising in Austrian Galicia, Slovak revolt, Serb revolt, Hungarian resistance and then revolt, Italian revolt and a revolt was happening in Vienna.

Initially, the Austrian armies in Italy were successful versus the Italian rebels and Kingdom of Sardinia and Piedmont. However, the Austrian army was beaten in Hungary. [3]

By the end of 1848, Sardinia was pushing back the Austrians to Venice, while the streets of Rome filled an uprising. Pope Pius IX had to leave Rome disguised as an ordinary priest and went to the Kingdom of Two Sicilies.

Chancellor Metternich was forced to resign early 1848. The uncle of Franz, now Emperor Ferdinand was forced to abdicate after 13 years of rule. His brother Archduke Franz Karl was urged to renounce his right by his wife, Princess Sophie, and Prince Felix in favor of his son, Franz Joseph. They were all in danger as the Hungarian army approached Vienna in 1849.

In 1849, Napoleon II, also King of the Romans, sent a French army to restore order in Papal States and reinstall the Pope. The Spanish and Neapolitans also sent aid to the Pope. The French, Spanish Neapolitans reinstalled the Pope’s control inside Papal lands. The French army continued restoring their respective monarchs in central Italy and eventually aided the Austrians.

In 1848, revolts occurred in Grand Duchy of Baden. There was a resurgence of revolt in 1849. Baden requested aid from neighboring states including France. Napoleon II responded and restored order in the Grand Duchy. Napoleon II also restored order in Bavarian Palatine or Bavarian Rhine.

Napoleon II receiving the passionate plea of Princess Sophie rushed his army to Vienna to save his cousins and his very close friend Princess Sophie. Princess Sophie sent letters to Napoleon II passionately asking for help. She also requested his son, Emperor Franz Joseph, to ask help from his cousin Napoleon II. During Napoleon II’s life in the Austrian court, his grandfather then Francis I, treated him like a son. He also a had very close relationship with Princess Sophie. There are rumors that Princess Sophie and Napoleon II had an affair, or that Franz Joseph was Napoleon II’s son. [4]

View attachment 667255
Princess Sophie, Archduchess of Austria, very close friend of Napoleon II

Napoleon II’s armies forced the Sardinians and Hungarians into negotiations. He convinced the Hungarians to come to terms rather than fight a battle.

Hungary was to be independent ruling all of St. Stephen’s lands. Kingdom of Lombardia and Venetia will also be independent. However, sons of Princess Sophie will rule all of the former Hapsburg Empire. Franz Joseph will rule Vienna, Maximilian in Hungary, Karl Ludwig in Lombardia and Venetia.

After restoring the Italian monarchs, there was a conference in Rome by the head of state or representatives of Italian states. It was suggested to make the pope head of state of a unified Italian state. It was rejected by most Italian states and the Italians will reconvened in another session. The Neo-Guelphists, a movement that supported Pope as head of state, started by Vincezno Gioberti, and their supporters (which includes the Pope’s ministers) convinced Pope Pius IX of the idea instead of a unified state would be a confederation with the Pope as Head of the Confederation. Then, Neo-Guelphists convinced the Pope to recognize or crown Napoleon II as King of the Romans in order to get the support from France. This would make Napoleon II a member of the confederation. Kingdom of Lombardia and Venetia, Duchy of Parma, Papal states agrees with Napoleon II’s membership. Duchy of Modena and Grand Duchy of Tuscany were convinced as well. Kingdom of Sardinia eventually agreed. The Kingdom of Two Sicilies who lacked any interest of Italian unification did not attend the conference.

In 1850, Napoleon II, Emperor of France, was crowned King of the Romans by Pope Pius IX, member and protector of the Papal Confederation.

The restoration of monarchies in Italy, Pope and pacifying German monarchies, retaining Hapsburg control in former Austrian Empire lands earned Napoleon II the popular nickname among European nobility and clergy as the Gendarme of Europe. [5]

[1] OTL Duchess of Parma was not captured by the Carbonari; OTL Franz was not allowed to join the Austrian armies in Italy with Franz being healthy; In OTL he contracted tuberculosis died in 1832

[2] Larger Polish revolt TTL compared to OTL; combination of OTL 1848 revolts in Posen, November Uprising by Congress of Poland in 1831. TTL November uprising never happened in 1831

[3] Hungarians OTL were beaten by Austrian armies; TTL Hungary wins all major battles 1849, no Russian request for help or intervention in Hungary

[4] Austria in OTL asked for Russian help. TTL due to Sophie and Franz being alive, they asked for Franz help instead

[5] This title in OTL was given to Nicholas I of Russia; But the Russians were limited in Poland and Danubian principalities TTL
Napoleon II is living on a Gilded Cage in Vienna IOTL and he is technically being stalked by Austrian spies and stuff when he goes away so this is implausible

Last edited:
Napoleon II is living on a Gilded Cage in Vienna IOTL and he is technically being stalked by Austrian spies and stuff when he goes away so this is implausible
I disagree.

there is a differenece in otl and ttl which franz mother was captured.

you cannot have people consitently stalk you during battles. and when the battle ended he was declared dead.

i took some artistic license from some timelines who did this. it is like you are saying that a lot of timelines here in this forum are implausible.

I disagree.

there is a differenece in otl and ttl which franz mother was captured.

you cannot have people consitently stalk you during battles. and when the battle ended he was declared dead.

i took some artistic license from some timelines who did this. it is like you are saying that a lot of timelines here in this forum are implausible.
Well in all respects explaining it more would definitely help and knowing how he was treated in his gilded cage makes me wonder how it happened, I am just asking for more explanation as it seems to be not enough

Well in all respects explaining it more would definitely help and knowing how he was treated in his gilded cage makes me wonder how it happened, I am just asking for more explanation as it seems to be not enough
I did explain it in the story. Mother of Franz was captured. Mother Franz is the daughter of Emperor Francis. Francis agrees, Metternich disagrees. I am targeting here valid reason on human nature. The situation really is dependent on Emperor Francis decision. The Gilded cage is not something that cannot be broken, it is dependent on Emperor Francis' decision.

Or that he was declared dead in the story before finding out he was alive.

I did even have note there on the difference from OTL if you read the story.

Another update! Though I can't comment on them much since continental European history is not my strong suit haha I'm more looking forward to needs of the Empire update

to be determined. we need to settle first a lot of issues europe americas even in the philippines.

I got 5 chapters up on the line near final draft. None of them deals with japan directly yet. Probably do 2 updates per week then slowdown to 1 per week after 1860s.

Ok noted....though re-wondering right now why Philippines did not initiate trade with Japan earlier. Though I know you've answered (to be answered in future updates) before but please may you explain in the future updates on Japan on why Philippines did not initiate trade earlier especially with the creation of Imperial Galleon Ships (1924). Now I think about it (especially when your south American update in 1848 came out), Philippines has all reasons to initiate trade with Japan (isolationist, forced either way), way earlier than US in 1852. (and US only initiate the forced opening up because they wanted a resupply base and save haven for their ships aside from trade since in OTL, they don't have any bases yet in the Pacific )

I mean they are neighbors, Philippines has a supply base in Bonin Islands, Japan is within the Pacific trade route of Philippines, Japan also allowed Chinese merchants but only in specific area, why can't they extend the same to Philippines? a fellow free Asian trade-searching neighbor, US is losing influence in the Pacific and Philippines is developing its Pacific mare nostrum policy under the watchful eyes of Britain (for better or for worse). Finally if Japan won't trade, Philippines can do gunboat diplomacy with the Imperial Galleons. Something like "See them? these are our major trade ships and so they'll bring Philippine goods to your coasts and be your friend....oh, you won't trade? well..... they can be fitted with cannons and guns, and so they can transform into your coastal nightmare. So...TRADE.WITH.US."

In the south American update, Philippine can tackle the combined navies of South Americas by itself. With that naval strength with Imperial Galleons, if all fails, they can do gunboat diplo earlier to Japan than OTL US year.