Votes: 338 86.4%
  • I liked Golden Eagle more

Votes: 20 5.1%
  • It's okay...

Votes: 25 6.4%
  • I didn't like it

Votes: 8 2.0%

• Total voters
The Emperor and hi guard stayed behind and fought the British to the last, to give time for the Civilians to escape.
Another precedent being set here, the Emperor is not more important than any other citizen, definitely a 'first among equals' sort of idea. Also note that OTL Marshall had six children survive to adulthood, so we are continuing the Marshall clan! His oldest, Thomas graduated from Princeton in 1803.

I wonder how John Marshall's heir will handle the Empire. This will be Thomas Marshall. Hopefully, he gained a lot of experience while his father was Emperor because otherwise, he looks pretty inexperienced compared to Founding Fathers.

In this Timeline, like in my previous one, you can create your own characters that can be added to the History and make their own mark. The format is the following:

Name: Andrew Wyrick
Birthplace: Germantown PN
Date of Birth: (27/09/1791)
Sex: Male
Culture: Western America
Political Leaning: Federalist
Background: Born and raised on a farm outside Germantown PN, Grow up learning the value of Freedom that his father fought for during the revolution decided to Join the Army asking to go to West Point. His father Peter made sure Andrew could read, write, math, how to serviev in the wilderness.

Wait, it has been done ? I might want to read it, do you have a link ?

Yeah I didn't realize it was that long ago (I'm getting old) American King by @Napoleon53 back in 2011 he did a take two a few years later. I hope that he will redux it once he is done redoing What Madness is this. Add in Now Blooms a Tudor Rose and The Presidency of Benedict Arnold and that is a lot of insperation for me to start my own work. Now I gotta look up who wrote the last two stories cause I can't remember. Lol getting old sucks

XIII: THE CANADIAN WAR III
XIII: THE CANADIAN WAR
III

IMG_5202.JPG

The aftermath of the Battle of Columbia saw a new phase of the War, with the end of the winter, the American armies resumed their offensive to Montreal, but this time they were fueled by hate. A massive propaganda campaign was made, describing the heroic last stand of Emperor John I Marshall in Columbia, in a attempt to buy time for the people to escape a rampaging British horde of Barbarians. The press went into action, comparing it to the Boston Massacre and the Battles of Lexington and Bunker Hill, the country recieved the Newspaper edition for free in the morning by order of the Senate President James Monroe. John Marshall was made a martyr, and the American people would avenge him, on the moth that followed, more than 60,000 men enlisted in the military, what they lacked in training, they had in enthusiasm and anger. The military recruiters had problems on how to dress up and arm this army of Volunteers, instead 20,000 joined the regular army and the rest was recruited as militias. This new army was called "Marshall's Legion" and was led by General Andrew Jackson at his personal request.

Meanwhile, came the matter of succession. As the constitution demanded, if an Emperor were to die, there would be an election between his sons (or daughters if he didn't have male heirs), with Marshall having 4 children, only one was older than 18: Thomas Marshall, a recent graduate of Princeton at the age of 22. But there were many who had second thoughts, Thomas was a political icognite and was considered too young to lead a country at war. Instead, some favored a General, since all candidates of the 1801 election were either dead, disgraced, or in Europe, claiming that only a strong hand could lead America in that time of despair. But many felt that it would be a dishonor for the late Emperor and a clear breach of the Constitution, so on the 4th of July of 1806, Thomas I Marshall was crowned as Emperor in the temporary capital of Philadelphia.

While the Senate crowned an new Emperor, Generals Zebulon Pike and Henry Dearborn led their combined forces to force the surrender of Montreal, the last great Canadian city, by controlling it, the Americans would control the Saint-Laurent river and both Upper and Lower Canada. The city was defended by a British force of 8,900 men and 7,200 Militias, which was low compared to 21,200 men and 9,100 Militias of the American Imperial Army. Zebulon and Dearborn laid siege to the city on the 18th of March, with the siege lasting until the 7th of May, the city defenders surrendered on the promise that the citizens would be treated fairly, but a mix of hate and whiskey prevented that. The Army invaded the city and killed everything in their way, massacring the POWs while screaming "For Marshall !", the heads of the commanders were put on pikes by the shore of the St. Laurent, the city population would experience terror for 3 days. The generals attempted to control their soldiers, but it was useless, in the end Montreal was burned to the ground with civilians trapped inside the burning houses, being shot if they attempted to escape. The sack of Montreal would be remembered as one of the most brutal events perpetrated by the Imperial Army.

After the destruction of Montreal, Canada was in American control, and the population was tamed by the threat of more massacres and exterminations. The British control was reduced to New Brunswick, New Scotia, and Newfoundland, while American militias took the North of Canada. Upon receiving such news, some in Britain wanted a peace, claiming that Napoleon was a bigger threat and the military shouldn't be split holding a colony. But others wanted revenge, and they won the debates of the Parliament and recruited an army of 40,000 men under the rising star commander Sir Arthur Wellesley. Those men were embarked in Nelson's fleet and sent to Halifax, Wellington planned to strike from the South of Canada, marching North to Quebec and then follow the St. Laurent to Kingston, defeating the Yankee armies and liberating Canada.

IMG_5203.JPG

But the arrival of a massive army wouldn't go unnoticed, French spies in London would find out about the organization of the "Army of Canada" and send it to America. Emperor Thomas I would order the Canadian armies to unite under a single command, led by none other than Andrew Jackson, at his insistence to avenge his father. Jackson was given the command of 36,000 troops, plus 15,000 militias, and invaded New Brunswick, halting at Moncton, isolating New Scotia and waiting for the British Army. On the 9th of September, the British forces landed in Halifax, Wellesley recruited Canadian militias to bolster his numbers and meet the American defenses, with roughly equal numbers, the Battle of Moncton began and would decide the fate of Canada.

The response to the burning of Columbia and Marshall's death by the US can be summed up by this (apocryphal) quote: "I fear we have awoken a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Name: Jeremiah Chamberlain
Birthplace: Boston, Massachusetts
Date of Birth: 16/07/1768
Culture: Yankee
Political Leaning: Federalist
Background: Jeremiah Chamberlain is probably amongst the most successful merchants/businessmen in America, hailing from a modest middle-class family. Over the years, he has built up his family business so that by this point, he has a company successful in the textiles, shipbuilding, ironworks, arms manufacturing, and general trade as a whole. In addition to being a wealthy businessman and being amongst the first industrialists in the Empire, he is a staunch patriot and a loyal supporter of the Empire.

Name: John Gibson
Birthplace: Charleston, South Carolina
Date of Birth: 13/06/1774
Culture: Yankee
Political Leaning: Whig
Background: John Gibson is a rising star in the American Navy during this period, hailing from a family of sailors. He has joined the Navy at a young age and distinguished himself in the Barbary Wars as a "war hero", leading to him becoming a Captain by the Canadian War, where he distinguished himself in the Battle of Chesapeake Bay with his frigate, the IAN Richmond, distinguishing itself under his command, surviving the battle even with the heavy damage it had suffered. As a result of his performance, he has been promoted to the Captain of the IAN Lexington, one of two surviving ships-of-the-line of the fleet which fought at Chesapeake Bay.

XIV: THE CANADIAN WAR IV
XIV: THE CANADIAN WAR
IV

IMG_5205.JPG

The Battle of Moncton happened on the 11th of September of 1806, when the British bombardment started the attack on the American trenches, mortar shells fell on the Americans in what seemed like a show on how wars would be fought in the future. Inspired in Napoleon's "Great Bombard", Wellesley decided to soften the enemy lines by blowing the enemy defenses, the inexperienced militias retreated into the woods fearing for their lives. The British then launched an attack against the Yankee positions, over 15,000 men marched into the first wave, expecting that the Americans had retreated into the woods, but were surprised by a barrage of canister shots and volleys of fire from the trenches, where the veteran army awaited. The British ran to cover terrain faster, the Yankees fires 2 more volleys before fixing bayonets and receiving the British in their defenses. Both sides clashed in the trenches, but the outnumbered British troops underestimated the savagery and experience of those Yankee troops who conquered Canada. The British first wave would be repulsed and sent back to their positions, Wellesley needed to think of a new plan.

Seeing how the Americans repelled his first wave, General Sir Arthur Wellesley continued to press on, believing the Yankees to be outnumbered. After 2 more waves, by the 6 PM, the night was coming and the Yankee troops were on their last legs, but on Wellesley's last charge with the cream of the British army, the American militias returned. Driven by revenge at the screams of "For Marshall !" and "For Columbia !", the thousands of militia men charged on the exhausted British with savagery and fury, inspiring the exhausted army units to follow in the charge. The British troops lost heart seeing thousands of Americans coming out of the forest to their camp, Wellesley sounded the retreat and the British troops were pursued all the way to Halifax, until General Jackson allowed his troops some rest and laid siege on the port. The strategically placed artillery pieces kept Nelson's fleet away, drastically affecting the sea supplies and isolating the last British city in mainland North America.

Upon receiving the news, the Parliament feared another Montreal, in a potential disaster of losing 30,000 troops including their best General and the local population. With Napoleon defeating the Third Coalition on land and the Combined Fleets of Spain and France preparing to invade the island of Great Britain, the United Kingdom couldn't fight a two-Front war. On the 29th of September, the peace negotiations would start, but only on the condition that the British troops in Halifax were allowed to retreat, instead the Americans let supplies come to relieve the starving troops in Halifax. Negotiations would begin in Lisbon, with the American and British delegations arriving with the young Thomas I in the American delegation, and an increasingly mad George III in the British delegation.

The Americans demanded war reparations for the raid of Columbia and the murder of Emperor John I Marshall, while also demanding the entirety of the British Canada. The proposal was called an insult by the British delegation, and both sides reached a stalemate only broken on the 13th of October, when news reached that Collingwood's fleet was defeated by the Allied Fleet in Trafalgar. It made the American position a lot stronger: With Britain threatened by invasion, their only hope was to call back Nelson's fleet, but that would end the blockade, risk an invasion of Newfoundland, and practically admitting defeat in Canada. On the other hand, due to the terms of the Secret Treaty, if Britain was defeated by France, the Americans could get Canada anyways. The British delegation became desperate to end the war while the Americans bid their time and stalled the negotiations to increase the desperation of their enemies. Finally, on the 19th of October, the British agreed to give up Canada with the exception of Newfoundland, Anticosti, Prince Edward Island, and Cape Breton Island. The reparations on the cost of 15 million dollars were paid due to the propriety damages made to America.

On the 20th of October, the official "Treaty of Lisbon" was signed, with the American Empire raising it's flag over the occupied territories of Canada (with the exception of the Maritimes islands) and starting the integration and assimilation of Territories. Over 67,000 Americans died, including civilians from Columbia, while the British lost almost 108,000 including POWs and the massacred population of Montreal and other cities. It was the bloodiest war in North America up to that moment, shaping the fate of America forever, but there would still be many headaches before peace.

I, um... what? How? I think you've severely underestimated the British and their allies with this alternate version of the War of 1812 here. You had the Native Americans of the Midwest defeated in five months (because apparently killing one guy caused every Indian in the Northwest Territory to stop fighting at once), and didn't even mention the Native Americans south of the Ohio River. The US spent more time and effort fighting their Indian enemies in the War of 1812 than the British at all. And the American Empire doesn't need more land right now. They just got their mitts on Louisiana and Florida. And I can't see an addition of land full of Catholics (who America hates), Indians (who America hates), and Loyalists (who America also hates) as a good idea. Not to mention the fact that the American Empire appears to be unable to lose following the Burning of Columbia.