Empire 2 Total War

Anyone ever played Empire here? What is your opinion on ETW?

I really liked it and wish for an Empire 2 game. Considering the TL it has potential. Anything between 1595-1815 era would be amazing.

If you wish this as well, what you want in Empire 2?

Empire was an okay idea, but was really poorly designed (two province France, really?) and buggy as hell.

While I'd be kinda interested in another, I just don't really think the formula for Total War games lends itself to ranged combat very well.

Empire was an okay idea, but was really poorly designed (two province France, really?) and buggy as hell.

While I'd be kinda interested in another, I just don't really think the formula for Total War games lends itself to ranged combat very well.
Pretty much this. Horrible horrible siege design that looked really cool in screenshots but once you played it you found it was completely and utterly broken/unfinished.

Anyone ever played Empire here? What is your opinion on ETW?

I really liked it and wish for an Empire 2 game. Considering the TL it has potential. Anything between 1595-1815 era would be amazing.

If you wish this as well, what you want in Empire 2?

Basically I would want Europa Universalis with Battles. I found the diplomatic system of ETW disappointing.

France being one whole province was horrible. I mean, If the Dutch beat the French and take Paris entire France falls to them which means they are unable to retake it. In reality the French would likely retreat to Orleans or the South and start an offensive again...

Spain one Province is the same problem... The only advantage is they have their Italian shares.

Persia being horribly weak, unable to stop the Marathas who invade both Persia and... Mexico...

India being easily subduable. Neither the Mughals nor the Marathas nor you taking Indian provinces cause unhappiness or cause rebellions. As the Ottomans taking Transylvania I had -10 unhappiness with a half stack force. With the same force as the United Provinces I had -5 unhappiness in Flanders. And whether the Marathas or Mughals or Mysore take India, they all became a superpower with the best army and invade everywhere. I am still not talking about the lack of Indian states that could balance the power (Hyderabad, Rajput states, Carnatica, Bengal, Kingdom of Kandy/Ceylon...)

No connection with lands like New Mexico, Plains. Basically worthless.

At last... the amount of troops. The 2,000 men average isn't what I expect... great. I would be grateful if it passed the 10,000 just for the sake of over 10k... I don't ask for giant armies in past 50k or so as it would not be possible. But at least more men. The 120 men brigades is not really much.

The AI is kind of piss. In my play-throughs, I won every battle by forming a V-shape with my cannons at the point and just letting enemy armies march into my fields of fire.

There should be additions:

A slightly bigger Americas:
- Part of Brazil included, Portugal has a presence in the Americas as well. And the colony will be a boost for the player who wants a better economy. With an Independent Brazil as a rebel faction ofcourse. It doesn't have to include all of the Amazones for Brazil. You might as well make it Terra Incognita
- If Brazil is included, include Peru as well.
- Some more Caribbean provinces: Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands for Denmark, Cayman Islands Bahia Islands for Pirates (useless islands except for privateers), Trinidad to Spain, Leeward Islands to France.
- Maybe, just maybe the West Coast US as well. Like California for Spain, Alaska for Russia. Any lands between the West Coast to the Plains nations can be terra incognita
- I've seen it alot: When Louisiana joins France and France gets destroyed it never spawns back. The Thirteen Colonies have the US, New Spain has Mexico and Gran Colombia.

More (and accurate) provinces and nations in Europe:
- Mecklenburg (Swedish Vassal), A nation in Thuringia, Maybe Holstein as well (Danish Vassal). The Swiss should definitely exist with better fortification but less worth province and surrounded by mountains.
- Flanders independent if successful rebellion
- Tuscany exists, Lombardy becomes independent nations if rebels. Sicily is an own province. Dalmatia also a province and a part of Venice
- Either create Walachia or add it to Moldova (if they are not vassals of the Ottoman Empire
- Upper Hungary a province with Pressburg as capital, Central Hungary with Buda.
- Hedjaz exists and Ottoman vassal. Independent Najd as a threat for the rulers of the Middle East (like pirates or rebels, they raid stuff and attack towns), Oman might exist as well
- Tatarstan divided. Makes it more attractable for Russia to attack the Caucasus. But Don Viosko divided as well with its Southern part as Circassia and the Northern part as Cossack vassals of Russia. Kiev is also a part of the Cossacks and vassal of Russia.
- A nation between Russia and Persia in Central Asia. Not only bordering Persia as province but also Afghanistan. Makes it interesting for Russia, Persia and the Indian powers.
- France as a province is divided and has a Southern part with Toulouse as capital. Spain has Andalusia, Castille, Gibraltar and Aragon as regions in Iberia. Maybe the Balaeric islands as well.
- Crimean Khanate two provinces, Crimea and North of the Peninsula.
- Morocco divided in at least two provinces. Capital is no longer Tangiers but Fez or Marrakech.
- If Transylvania rebels, Hungary is created. It was a core part of the Kingdom during that time.
- Ionian Islands exists and are a part of Venice. Can rebels and be Greece. Crete and Cyprus are also provinces.

India
- Malabar as a province either for the Dutch or as an independent Travancore
- Hyderabad, Sindh, Bengal, Carnatica, Rajpootna, Kingdom of Kandy can exist as states if they rebel.
- Have a Bombay province like Goa for the British. Ahmadnagar as a province still exists and have a small port (Bombay does not cover entire coast)
- Andaman and Nicobar islands as a single province as either Danish or Austrian colony.
- Aceh is the only part of Indonesia that should exist, as a pirate nation of course.

What should be included?
- Dynasties and royal marriages. Making nations liking you more. But... Only between same religions (Orthodox, Catholics, Protestants with each other, Sunni, Shia with eachother... India as the only place for interreligious royal marriages)
- Changing state religions. Only within the same religious group (Saxony becomes Protestant again, Dagestan chooses to become Shia, Maratha goes Sikh...)
- Diplomacy has now the option to ask or offer to declare war on a nation.
- Same rulers in different nations, like Saxony and PLC, United Provinces and Great Britain...
- More hostile relations between Indian nations, to make it more a warzone instead of a home for the glorious Maratha Empire.
- Europeans more interested into going to India (In this case France and Britain) rather than some useless Libya or Texas...
- Theocracy exists. With the Papal States and Westphalia being Theocracies. To be a theocracy there should be revolution against a Republican or Constitutional Monarchy. These are the only ones not able to change religions
- Constitutional Monarchies now have also effects on taxing instead of limited replacement of ministers.
- Choosing to not have a state religion is an option. As far as I know, the Marathas did not really have a state religions, could be wrong though. A republican France might go Secular.
- Option to abdicate ruler. My sultan as the Ottomans sucks... I want his replacement... so Mustafa II -> Ahmed III... As an example. It should especially be likely if the nation has a lot of rebellious provinces. Not possible if it is the only member of the dynasty
- Spies can try to kill ministers, rulers whatever... They can try to bring down public opinion... They can also show you what the recruitment in the capital is.
- Grain, Corn, Rices whatever are also trade goods...
- A vassal cannot offer their own regions in a deal. Only the Protector can. So no Barbary States offering Algeria without the consent of the Sultan.
- Armies and generals can rebel as well. Like the nobility, poor and middle class, they can make demands. This is affected by the rulers character and/or military results. If rebellion is successful, the government type is the same but with different ruler.
- Make inheritance possible. If lets say, the Ottoman Dynasty is about to die out you can choose someone else to to inherit the state if you want... In this case, it will be the Khans of the Crimea. With Spain it will be the grandson of Louis XIV... or even someone else...
- Limited diplomacy... If Dagestan has no port they should not be able to talk with Native Americans in another continent or islands.
- 4 seasons per year.
- Appointing governors on provinces
- Illness does exists and affects the victim. No more Charles II of Spain ruling until the end of the game.
- Option to occupy, sack, liberate or sack conquered cities. Extermination is an option. But it might be too sensitive...

Army organisation
- Ottoman Army is too weak. Even against the Native Americans... They should have three major armies and have them with a maximum number of two Janissary Brigades (this does not include the garrisons). With the right technology they can be recruited again.
- Persian Army is by far the weakest of them all. If I attack the as being their neighbour, be it Otto's, Georgia, Dagestan, they have literally no defense capability. Qizilbash musketeers should be available to recruit early game. With right technology they can recruit their Western Style infantry and cavalry.
- Morocco cannot recruit artillery... What the frickin frick? And at least giver them the option to recruit western style infantry if they research technology...
- Dagestan has Western Style army...
- Mughals can recruit their own early line infantry. And ofcourse like the Persians, Moroccans, Mysore, Marathas etc. they should research technology to recruit Western Style forces.
- One Ship cannot transport an entire army. And attrition. If a small fleet transports a big army, attrition is big. If big fleet transports a big army, attrition is low. If fleet is not moving, attrition is a thing.
- Army can be leaded by the ruler, morale bonus for it.
- Attrition is a thing. If an army is in enemy territory during winter it will face attrition. It also affects the general. Or if the Spanish send the largest possible army to the desert. Or if the Ottomans attack the Caucasus in the winter. Affected by Attrition. This means no longer raids far in enemy territory by half stack forces without threats.
- A garrison in towns. If a town is undefended, it has at least 3 units of regulars or militia to defend in addition with 'volunteers' (the local population)
- Navy has a possibility to stay in allied ports if allowed.
- Bombing coastal capitals is a thing. So is Naval support of land forces.

Trade and economy
The existing trade theaters are great! Replace Brazil due to its existence in the Americas map with Greenland and as trade good Whale oil or fur. Regardless, it is worthless.
An additional might be Japan if there won't be East Asia. Another option is of course Southern Arabia with Coffee as trade good.
- Silk is a tradegood
- Whale oil is a trade good
- Grain, Corn, Rice, Wine, Fish can be traded as well. It affects your population growth if you trade it.
- Taking debt is possible. If you don't earn much but have to defend your self you can as a state take debt. Not able to pay it off has effects. This makes nations as Courland, Genoa or whatsoever easier to handle against Larger Swedish and French Armies.
- Building Markets is an option (Town slot is higher). It will increase taxes and have a higher price of trade goods.
- Having merchants next to spies, missionaries, scholars. They affect trade bonus to your nation with the nation you trade with of course.

Navy
- Frigates like 6th rates, 5th rates and 4th rates should be recruited in Trade and Fishing ports. The sixth rates in the earliest, the 5th and 6th rate in the bigger ports. This seems necessary as the Dutch were still a Naval Power until the 4th Anglo-Dutch war in the 1780s. In the game they don't recruit until they have a shipyard. This gives nations like Venice and France a chance to recruit decent fleets. The Spanish and Portuguese can already benefit with their Galleons
- Steamships or whatsoever, ships that only western nations can recruit should be an option to recruit if you research Western Naval doctrine technology for example
- Fleets/ships in the oceans can only be discovered if you're really close to them.
- Pirates have a limit of ships per fleet.

Religion
- Islam divided in Sunni and Shia. Sikh religious buildings exist. Buddhist state exists (Ceylon).
- Conversion within the religion is possible.
- Having no state religion is possible.
- Having harder time to convert larger populations. Thus, converting India in 50 years to 100% Islamic, 100% Protestant, 100% Orthodox is... hard so to say... Only smaller conversion rates and accidental larger conversion of the population.
- Migration affects religion as well. If you conquer an island in the Caribbean and the people migrate to it then it doesn't stay with the same religious percentage.

Pff... I am out of ideas... You have any ideas?

The AI is kind of piss. In my play-throughs, I won every battle by forming a V-shape with my cannons at the point and just letting enemy armies march into my fields of fire.

I'm not sure what pisses me off more? The AI wars against me or AI Mysore sending an entire army to Mexico. Jesus Christ...

I would love a second game done better, the time period is perfect but the game needed was too buggy and not well enough thought out.

A period between 1595-1699 and/or 1700-1815 should be an option. The first one for the period as the Rise of France as the strongest European power and the Thirty years war. The second period as the first game with the major wars all around the globe.

For the Army and Governor options... I was thinking about Army units that can desert without a General if you lose too much battles or provinces, it can rebel if you have a general and lose too much battles or provinces with the mission to depose the ruler/government. Governors can rebels as well as stated above. Either form a country of their own (Governor of Egypt rebels and declares independence for Mamluk Egypt) or they rebel to depose the ruler (Governor of Galicia revolts to depose August II). It should all depend on how a course of war goes for state x.

If there are any ideas I would love to hear it. I'm sure I'm not the only Empire fan here :p

to be fair, Napolean total war is basical empire total war 1.5 if you will. A game with napolean+a bit extra macanicis and a empire style map would be great!
Also, as time goes on, it would be nice if line infatry could change apperance, e.g. around 1800 getting shakos.

to be fair, Napolean total war is basical empire total war 1.5 if you will. A game with napolean+a bit extra macanicis and a empire style map would be great!
Also, as time goes on, it would be nice if line infatry could change apperance, e.g. around 1800 getting shakos.

Now that would make sense if you entered the 1790 and still have to go to 1815. That is 25 years × 4 seasons. About 100 turns. Still a decent amount of turns.

For its time Empire was a really good game. It still is. But if an Empire 2 comes, it needs more. Taking Napoleons mechanics is an option. But I would not mind something like Atilla Total War either.

I was thinking about China... and they can be included as well. An own map like India, Americas etc... don't know how but it would be interesting...

it's all about empire has no Africa or south america and only India in Asia the tech tree was... intresting

Md139115

Banned
Empire was probably the first game I spent 1000+ hours on.

I do love it, but I have to agree with those who said that the diplomacy and the provinces and siege battles were broken. I used to keep one province with a level one governors mansion just so I could produce pikemen and use them to defend siege breaches. ;)

Absolutely would buy an Empire II.

it's all about empire has no Africa or south america and only India in Asia the tech tree was... intresting

Well I don't know what more you can add for Africa? Ethiopia and Mali maybe? Because any other regions have either nowhere to expand is not likely to be taken by the 18th century.

Asia can definitely use China, Korea and Japan as factions while Russia has also a region there as a base. South America needs Brazil and Peru and then it is as good as finished.