So i've been studying late Roman history and came across Emperors Nero, infamous for his multiple barbarities, and Claudius, murdered or mysteriously killed in 54 AD, and I was wondering what would happen had he not chosen to adopt Nero.

Britannicus would become Emperor at Claudius's death. Although affected by a light form of epilepsy, Britannicus seemed be a young and good guy and he was a great friend of General and future Emperor Vespasianus.
I can see Britannicus governing while Vespasianus get military successes and the end is adopted as successor of the Emperor himself.

Britannicus would become Emperor at Claudius's death. Although affected by a light form of epilepsy, Britannicus seemed be a young and good guy and he was a great friend of General and future Emperor Vespasianus.
I can see Britannicus governing while Vespasianus get military successes and the end is adopted as successor of the Emperor himself.

Wasn't he a friend of Titus, Vespasian's son, not the man himself?

Completely disagree. Vespanianus, while a great general, was not of the imperial family. The idea that the Emperor could come from other than the Imperial family arose after Nero basically wiped out the Imperial family (and was really really terrible). Therefore, the idea that Britannicus would adopt Vespasian or Titus is implausible. I would also note that the idea of adopting outside of the family did not arise for another half century.

Completely disagree. Vespanianus, while a great general, was not of the imperial family. The idea that the Emperor could come from other than the Imperial family arose after Nero basically wiped out the Imperial family (and was really really terrible). Therefore, the idea that Britannicus would adopt Vespasian or Titus is implausible. I would also note that the idea of adopting outside of the family did not arise for another half century.

To add to this. If anything were to happen between this. It would be a daughter of Britannics marrying Titus, who was his lifelong freind. Vespasian would become a leading general along with suetonius and corbulo. Most likely Britannicus would marry corbulos daughter and become emperor. If he dud have no sons a grandson would be chosen and if none only then adoption.

To add to this. If anything were to happen between this. It would be a daughter of Britannics marrying Titus, who was his lifelong freind. Vespasian would become a leading general along with suetonius and corbulo. Most likely Britannicus would marry corbulos daughter and become emperor. If he dud have no sons a grandson would be chosen and if none only then adoption.

This I agree with. After all, this follows the precedent of Marcus Agrippa 70 years before.